Glossop Heritage Trust

The Blue Plaque for Robert Hamnett



The former Conservative Club
The third Blue Plaque, created by Glossop Heritage Trust to recognise
the work of Robert Hamnett, was unveiled by the Mayor of Glossop,
Councillor George Wharmby on Sunday 4th September 2016.



The Robert Hamnett Blue Plaque
The Mayor unveils the Plaque


Robert Hamnett was Glossop’s first historian and archaeologist, chronicling its history and unearthing important relics at Melandra. His articles have formed the basis for most of the books and other publications on local history produced ever since, and are a valuable source of reference for all historians. His booklet, “Glossop, a Sketch from the Earliest Period, provides an illustrated history of the town and includes many photographs of the main High Street shops and their beautiful art nouveau style adverts.


The Plaque has gone up on the wall of the Conservative Club, as Robert was once a steward there. He was also an early member of the local Conservative Association when it held its meetings at the Railway Inn. When the Inn was demolished the Conservative Club was built on the same site.
At the unveiling


Exhibition at Bradbury House
After the unveiling, refreshments were served at Bradbury House and a small exhibition of photographs was on view, including some from the family album shown below.


Family photo
Family photo
Family photo
Robert married Mary Kent in 1878 and they had seven children, sadly two died very young. The photo, above right, shows the five remaining siblings, thought to be from left to right, Annie, Ann Elizabeth, George Alfred, Joseph William and James Edward.
Joseph William Hamnett emigrated to Canada and was tragically killed by lightening in 1915.
James Edward Hamnett died eight years after his father in 1922.


Button image Return to the Blue Plaque index Button image Robert Hamnett Button image Return to the home page




Page last updated: 10 November 2016.