|Here is a view of Bankswood, Hadfield, or, as it was formerly called, "The Castle.”
Always partial to open spaces, we like them best when they are on a hill. We like to get to the highest path at Bankswood, under the trees of “The Castle” wood, and admire the extensive view of Longdendale.
These paths which have been cut at Bankswood, always strike us as the best improvement made there up to the present. There are the paddling pool and roundabouts and the tennis courts which satisfy other desires, and, of course, charming flower beds in summer and autumn.
Officially, Bankswood was purchased by the Corporation in 1926. Unofficially, the story goes that Bankswood was obtained for nothing. Becoming the property of Mr. J. Todd when he purchased the Glossop Hall Estate, he sold it to the late Mr. R. Wilson. Mr. S. T. Ashton, then chairman of the local Finance Committee, interviewed Mr. Todd, asking him to throw in Bankswood with the purchase money for Glossop Hall and grounds. Mr. Todd regretted that he could not do so as he had already “sold It to Mr. Wilson”. Mr. Ashton pleaded and argued, and ultimately Mr. Todd bought the land back from Mr. Wilson and put it in with the Glossop Hall and grounds purchase money. Bankswood itself was not officially opened like Manor Park, but it was a great day for Hadfield when the slipper baths at Station-road, and the tennis courts at Bankswood, were, opened on a beautiful summer day. Mrs. H. L. Roebuck and Mrs. R. J. Boak, you may remember, had the first game or tennis.
|The (1922) map and the photo both show the location of the old level crossing at the end of Queen Street (which had been part of Shaw Lane before housing development).
The field in front of the railway in the photo was laid out as a football pitch in the 1950s and 60s - rather dangerous if a ball was kicked over the fence.
|Two views from the woods of the paddling pool, tennis courts and the children's playground.|
|and two views in the woods themselves.|
Page last updated: 25 September 2017.
Copyright © 2017 Glossop Heritage Trust. All Rights Reserved.