|The early pioneers did not neglect educational needs and at the Norfolk Square premises there was a library with nearly 2,000 books, which was open to the public. Later, Scholarships were awarded for the Grammar School.
In 1932, the society incorporated the branch of the Hollingworth Co-operative Society and a couple of years later expanded further with the acquisition of the Mottram, Charlesworth and Chisworth Co-operative Society branches; all under the new title of Glossop and District Co-operative Society Ltd.
In 1951 the Co-operative Society had departments for grocery, butchery, greengrocery, wet fish, tailoring, shoes, drapery and furnishing, confectionery and Café and painting & decorating. There was also a Slaughterhouse and Bakery at Ashton Street, Stables on Oak Street, a Garage on Edward Street and the main warehouse on Railway Street; to the rear of the Central Store at Norfolk Square. The Society also owned land and built houses; some examples are Fauvel Road, North Road and Sheffield Road
The Glossop Society also acted as Agent for Hyde & District Co-operative Laundries, United Co-operative Dairies Ltd, Co-operative Insurance Society Ltd., Co-operative Wholesale Society Ltd. Banking Department, Co-operative Permanent Building Society and Co-operative Funeral Undertakers Ltd.
These photographs of the main Glossop Co-op building, thought to date from about the time the building was modernised in 1930, were discovered in 2003. The originals were somewhat damaged but it was possible to scan and digitally restore them.
Page last updated: 21 March 2017.