Glossop Heritage Trust


The Trade Directories before 1835 show the majority of the shops and mills in the original villages of the Glossop valley. Where the turnpike roads had crossed was, however, becoming increasingly important. The name of this area was changed from Bridge End to Howard Town.
In 1828 John Wood left his mills on Shelf Brook in the village of Glossop and transferred his factories to Howard Town. About the same time the local surgeon also moved there from Charlesworth, The Royal Mail coaches also called as they passed through on their cross-Pennine journey between Manchester and Sheffield.

Howard Town, or New Glossop 3/4 mile W. from Glossop, forms the centre of the largest portion of the inhabitants of the township, and a focus for most of the other townships. It is sometimes called Glossop Dale, from its being situated in a fine valley, surrounded by bold mountains and romantic scenery, and presents one of the busiest scenes in the cotton trade that can well be conceived. Great improvements, by erecting new factories and the enlargement of old ones, have within a few years been made and still greater are projected so that prosperity seems for a long time promised.

A market has been established under an act of parliament in the 7th year of the reign of Queen Victoria by the lord of the manor, which was opened 19th July, 1845. The market, held on Saturday, progresses very well, and presents an animated appearance in the evening.

A fair for cattle and merchandise is held on the 6th of May. A handsome Town Hall and Market—house have been erected in the Italian style, — the first stone was laid. 28th June 1838, the coronation of Queen Victoria, and opened as above stated. A lock-up prison has been created in connection with the above, at the west end an office for the Duke’s agent is to be erected. Behind the Town Hall is covered Market—house, with 28 shops for butchers, greengrocers and other trades. The tower which crowns the Town Hall is provided with an excellent clock by Lomas of Sheffield; the whole enclosed by a low wall and palisading. The entire cost will have exceeded £10,000; executed under the superintendence of Messrs. Weightman and Hadfield, architects, Sheffield.

The town is well and neatly built of stone, and the shops in general respectable; so that the place presents a thriving and handsome appearance.

A considerable portion of the land in Glossop Dale is let as accommodation land to the tradesmen — His Grace being in every respect desirous to accomodate, improve and encourage his tenantry, and to make Glossop a principal seat of the cotton manufacture. The direct line of railway communication with Liverpool, and the probability of that communication speedily extending between the eastern and western seas, in conjunction with its local advantages, and the low rental of land, render every prospect of its being able to compete with the great emporium of the cotton trade, or with any of the other towns in Lancashire & Cheshire.

Railway — The Sheffield and Manchester railway enters Derbyshire from Sheffield, from a tunnel three miles in length, about five miles N. E. by N. from Glossop, and crosses the extreme north verge of the county, and of this parish, crossing the Etherow at Broadbottom by a viaduct of three very large arches; about three miles S. W. by W. from Glossop, it enters Cheshire; it crosses the Dinting Vale, about one mile W. from Howard Town, by a lofty viaduct of sixteen arches, constructed of timber and stone. Near the viaduct, and adjoining the road to Charlesworth, is Dinting railway station, one mile W. from Howard Town, and twelve miles from Manchester. From this point, a branch railway runs to Howard Town, where there is a convenient stone station, with warehouses and coal wharfs, which are supplied from Dukenfield and Dunkirk collieries.

Return to the Local History Main Menu, Return to Old Town and New Town Articles, Return to the Home Page.

Page last updated: 25 September 2017.
Copyright © 2017 Glossop Heritage Trust. All Rights Reserved.