Glossop Heritage Trust
Theo Walter Ellison's Glossop Dale Reminiscences.
The Platt Family (published 8 February 1935).
Edward Platt, of Mersey Bank, Hadfield, was a grandson of George Platt, of Shaw, and his father, Edward Platt, Senr., with his two brothers William and Thomas, were the owners of the White Mill, Padfield (formerly the property of Thomas Thornley) and the Bank Bottom Mill. The new mill in Station Road, Hadfield, was built in 1855.
Thomas Platt occupied Padfield Brook Mill from 1866 to 1875 (formerly belonging to Samuel Lees and built in 1807), which eventually came to Edward Platt in 1878, who subsequently formed a private limited company, Edward Platt Ltd., to carry on the business of all three cotton mills.
His operatives signified their esteem when his daughter, Miss Evelyn Georgina Platt, came of age by making her a presentation which he reciprocated by entertaining them at Belle Vue.
The Company also for some years owned a mill at Broadbottom, and the Clough Mill, Hayfield.
Several members of the family were members of the Board of Guardians and of the Town Council, and also Justices. Thomas and Edward Platt, Senr., were two of the first Councillors for Hadfield Ward, and the latter was an Alderman in 1869. Edward Platt Jnr., was a Councillor for Hadfield Ward, 1881-1884, and also for five years 1902-1907. He declined to allow himself to be nominated for the office of Mayor, but was a Justice for Derbyshire and a Commissioner for Income Tax. The handsome Free Library and Public Reading Room near Hadfield Station were erected at his expense and presented to the Corporation as a memorial to his father. At the opening on 26th October 1906, he entertained the members of the Council and officials to a dinner at Mersey Bank, and was there presented by the Mayor, on behalf of the Corporation, with a casket and address. His long and sincere friendship with Captain Partington induced him to include on the same occasion the presentation by the Mayor of a casket with the Roll of Honorary Freeman to Captain Edward Partington, who had previously in the day, at a meeting of the Council in the Town Hall, been made the first Honorary Freeman of the Borough.
In his early days Edward Platt resided at Padfield Brook, and afterwards at Talbot House, Glossop, until he purchased Mersey Bank following the death of W.S. Rhodes.
On the Bench his pronounced desire for equitable treatment as between the Government Authorities and individual members of the community characterised his judicial administration.
An intimate and extensive knowledge in commercial life and of ‘local folk’ and topography, a well read man, with an acute mind and excellent memory, he would converse frequently and vigorously on diverse topics, to the enjoyment and advantage of his listeners, and having spent many hours in his company discussing all manor of subjects I can testify to his real worth.
Mrs Platt, before her marriage Miss Emma Ashton, of Chisworth, was esteemed as a charming hostess, and she left Hadfield with the sincere regret of a considerable section of the inhabitants, who had benefited from her many kind deeds and who cherish for her a lasting affection.
Edward Platt died in 1915 and was survived by his widow, and his daughter, who was his only child and the wife of Col. George Basil Heywood, who removed to Caradoc Court, near Ross-on-Wye. Mrs Platt died in 1923.
TO FOLLOW: Partington and Doverdale Family, and other Municipal notabilities; Some accounts of the Administrative work accomplished.
Return to Ellison Reminiscences Contents Return to Local History Articles Return to the home page
Page last updated: 9 May 2017.