Glossop Heritage Trust
Theo Walter Ellison's Glossop Dale Reminiscences.
Principal Tradesmen in Past Days (published 29 March 1935).
Amongst the principal tradesmen, dealing first with Old Glossop: Wm. Thorpe, in Church Street, whose shop is still in existence, supplied groceries and other provisions. In High Street East: Hadfield, shoemaker; Brian Helm, corn dealer; Smith, cabinet maker; Band, grocer; J. Merry, ironmonger; Ward, newsagent and pinfold keeper; Wagstaffe (afterwards Warrington), butcher; Manasseh Turner, greengrocer; S. Robinson, grocer; Mellor, grocer; Whittingham, brush dealer; Bottomley, grocer; Shaw, music warehouse; T McKnight, ironmonger. In High Street West on the North side (including Henry Street): George Whittaker, Norfolk Arms Hotel, followed by Joseph Collier; Walter Thorp, coal merchant; Abel Harrison, Station Inn and coal merchant; Manchester and Liverpool District Bank; Percival, followed by Stagg, wine merchant, J. Hardman, dentist; Swire, clogger; Crannage, jeweller; Harrison (now T. Smith), grocer; Cuthbert, tobacconist; (on the south side) Rosson, followed by Bradbury, chemist; Charles Collier, grocer; W. Swire, draper; T.P. Wreakes, followed by R. Proctor, (now McKinlay), chemists; T.P. Hunter, draper; Melia’s, grocers; Joseph Buckley, pawnbroker: J.S. Higginbottom, draper; Manchester and County Bank (now Boots, chemist); John Hall, tailor, followed by F.W. Hall; Wood, grocers (now Dearnley); T. Hadfield, draper; T. Cook, Hatter; W. Smith, shoemaker; T. Woolley, grocer; J Barnes, draper; Edward Woolley, butcher; W.H. Irlam, printer and stationer; Dearnley, ironmonger; H. Kinder, chemist (now W. Oliver and Sons, ironmongers). At Whitfield: Charles Bradbury, butcher; George Ashton (now G.W. Ashton), grocer; Brook Furniss, Whitfield Laundry. At Brookfield: Tweedale, grocer. At Woolley Bridge: Swire, clogger. At Hadfield: W. Dawson, painter; Geo. Eastham, grocer; Tom Braddock, grocer; W. Greaves, grocer; W.M. Martin, draper; Levi Lee, grocer.
The Glossop Dale New Industrial Co-operative Society was established in 1866, and has grown into an important institution with several branches, and there is a similar Society at Hadfield.
The Glossop Funeral Society was established in 1830 and several building societies existed, of which some of the principal mill owners were originally trustees.
The provision of wagonettes, landaus and hackney carriages, funeral hearses and coaches, was for some years in the hands of Crompton and Elliott, Bagshaw and Fielding, and the Glossop Carriage Company Ltd. I will not attempt to recall the many anecdotes which emerged from pleasant and exciting jaunts, but will mention one, characteristic of the men, which never failed to win a smile: Dr W.H. Hunt, who was a good sportsman, conscious he would not long survive an incurable disease, and the genial Stagg, who was in advanced years, used to hobnob in friendly fashion and jocosely chaff each other as to which would be the first to quit this Earth. On one occasion, having ordered a landau and pair to take them for a drive in the neighbourhood, the equipage arrived with a couple of black horses, on seeing which Stagg drily remarked to the coachman: “What the deuce do you mean by bringing us a couple of black horses? Do you think you are taking us for a preliminary canter?”
The licensed houses in the Borough were numerous and changes were somewhat frequent. A Register is kept at the office of the Clerk to the Justices which may be inspected on payment of a small fee, and the names of the houses and the licensees to whom they were granted every year may be thus ascertained by those interested.
The chief licensed house, the Norfolk Arms Hotel, was the resort of members of the Council, Justices, Freemasons, Trustees of various societies, Oddfellows, Foresters, Funeral Societies, Building Societies, and many of the principal inhabitants and business men. Jolly conversations and frequently, serious discussions occurred in the smoke room, where the ‘sages’ smoked their ‘churchwardens’ in the wooden armchairs and discussed the national or local affairs, or engaged in conversations on interesting topics.
During the long period covered by these reminiscences the inhabitants have been supplied with reliable news and report concerning municipal, religious, political, social and sporting affairs, as well as births, marriages and deaths, and generally concerning the life and progress of the district and its industries, by means of the Local Press and their Editors, reporting staff and contributors. The ‘Glossop Advertiser’ and the ‘Glossop Dale Chronicle’ have existed for upwards of 70 years and my personal acquaintance with former Editors included T.A. Pettit and E.W. Pettit of the ‘Advertiser’ and J. Butterworth and W. Sheppard of the ‘Chronicle’; the two papers being now amalgamated and under the editorship of S.T. Ashton, with S. Sidebottom chief sub-editor. In earlier years the ‘Glossop Record’ flourished for a considerable period, eventually giving up publication on the advent of the ‘Advertiser’.
Return to Ellison Reminiscences Contents Return to Local History Articles Return to the home page
Page last updated: 9 May 2017.