|Isaac Jackson was a saddler from Hyde who, after moving to Glossop, first operated in High Street West, and later moved to premises on the corner of High Street East and Victoria Street. He used his skill as a saddler to develop and patent a strong quick-fastening belt drive.
The standard technique, at that time, of fastening mill belt drives, was to lace belts together utilizing leather thongs; this method was very slow and a requirement arose for a fastener which could be quickly and easily applied using minimum skills.
The development of the Jackson Fastener began in 1884 and he founded the partnership of the Glossop Belt Co. at Dudley Mill near Bradford. In 1885 he took out a joint patent for a tape fastener which was a failure and resulted in a considerable loss of money.
Following the death of his partner in 1887, he refined his development of an improved fastener and invented the “Concave and Convex Fastener” which were named as “Jackson’s Original Fasteners” and patented in 1890.
|Following the success of the new belt fastener, he redeveloped his Victoria Street business to form a fine row of commercial premises, named Jackson’s Buildings. Later, to facilitate further development of Victoria Street, Isaac moved his growing business to Norfolk Street, close to his house Holly Mount.
By 1901 he was employing 50 people in an expanding company, having added tool-making and the manufacture of nuts and bolts to his resources. In 1903 Isaac Jackson applied for a Patent for "Improvements in and relating to Belt Fasteners and the like".
|In 1905 his manufactory moved to Hawkshead Mill, Old Glossop, originally a cotton mill erected in 1791. By 1911 his labour force had grown to 150, and he was regarded as a consultant on engineering problems. During WW1, Isaac Jackson helped to develop reliable shell detonators.|
His success enabled him, in 1919, to provide the money to enable the Council to buy the Town Hall and Market Rights from Lord Howard, in honour of those who served during WW1. The deed, dated 19th June 1919 records the conveyance of Glossop Market Place and Town Hall, and grant of fair rights, tolls, tallages and franchises, from Francis Edward, Baron Howard of Glossop and his trustees to the Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the Borough of Glossop.
|In 1920 he was made a Freeman of the Borough of Glossop and was presented with the casket, left, on 5th May 1921.
The solid silver gilt casket was fashioned in a renaissance design. The centre panel had the photos of the recipient and his wife in rich enamel, with panels on each side depicting the The Town Hall of Glossop and Jackson’s Buildings. The lid had an enamel panel with the monogram “I.J.” and was surmounted by the Mural Crown Emblems of Civic Authority. On top of the lid stood the full Coat of Arms with Crest and Motto of the Town, which had been executed in correct heraldic colours. On the reverse of the casket was an enamel panel showing a High Explosive Shell in the centre, to the left a Hammer Forging, and on the right the completed Hammer. The engraving on each side of the panel read “The success of the 106 Fuse used so effectively in the High Explosive Shells during the Great War as largely contributed to by the Hammer Forging invented and patented by Isaac Jackson, Esq.”. The base, of the casket was ebonised wood which had an artistic plate with the following inscription, "This casket contains the Scroll commemorative of the conferring of the Honorary Freedom of the Borough on Isaac Jackson, Esquire, of Holly Mount, Glossop, on the 2nd of December, 1920".
Page last updated: 25 September 2017.
Copyright © 2017 Glossop Heritage Trust. All Rights Reserved.