Glossop Heritage Trust

Manor Park The Grounds of Glossop Hall.

Glossop Hall greenhouse wall in Manor Park

Manor Park was originally the grounds and parkland of Glossop Hall and was almost certainly walled off from parts of a large area of meadows called the Royle. Originally there was a Hall, usually called 'Royle Hall' built about 1729 by Ralph Standish Howard but, following his death and that of his heir, it was used, from the early 17th century, by agents of the Howards, Dukes of Norfolk. They had owned the lands in Glossopdale since the marriage of Aleatha Talbot, daughter and heiress to the Earl of Shrewsbury to Thomas Howard 14th Earl of Arundel in 1606. The Hall appears to have been extended in the mid 19th century by Henry Charles Howard, 13th Duke of Norfolk, for his son, Edward Howard the Lord of The Manor, who came to live there in 1851 after his marriage to Augusta Talbot. He became Baron Howard of Glossop in 1869.

The area surrounding the Hall was altered to provide a more enclosed estate once the Howard family became permanent residents. Several old roads and paths across or close to the Hall, used for centuries by the locals, were re-routed, including the original entrance road to the Hall off the old road over the Royle from the south to Glossop [now Old Glossop].
Here the old road had come from what is now Ellison Street over the Royle and followed the curve of the bank above the brook, through what is now the park and across the stream below Top o' the Town and, still just visible over the railings of The Duke of Norfolk's School, into what was then a much larger Parish Church yard and to the Old Market Cross.
To make the grounds closer to the Hall more symmetrical, the old road was pushed to the northwest and excavated and walled to be invisible from the Hall and grounds. A flight of steps and fountains lead down to a stone bridge over the re-routed roadway and a high stone wall surrounded the parkland from the Corn mill, on what is now Corn St, to Hall Street leaving the old route inside the parkland.

Glossop Hall (Manor Park) wishing well pictured in 1928
A path from 'Old' Glossop, along what is now the course of Hall Meadow Road, which ran south of the old main road to Padfield and Hadfield was also excavated and later, during the 'Cotton Famine' resulting from the American Civil war, Lord Howard paid cotton workers to lay a proper road then had an entrance made from the northwest to the back of the Hall. Rustic shelter in Manor Park The coachman for the Hall lived at the lodge on Church St South. An entrance to the Hall off the Chapel-en-le-Frith to Enterclough Bridge Turnpike was made on what is now the north stretch of Norfolk Street, half way between what is now Hall Meadow road and Royle Avenue, but right at the end of the 19th century a new entrance was made, complete with Gatekeepers Lodge. This was later built over but the Lodge still stands at the junction of Norfolk Street and Talbot Road.
Crowd scene - Opening of Manor Park

The Howard family Glossopdale Estates were sold by auction in 1925. The private parkland was acquired by the Borough of Glossop on April 29th 1927 and became Manor Park. It was officially opened by the Mayor, Councillor Joseph E. Buckley J. P., on September 17th 1927, which was known as 'Old Wakes Saturday'.

Crowd scene - Opening of Manor Park
The Hall Street [since renamed Manor Park Road] entrance to the parkland was opened to the official party and a commemorative bronze tablet, giving the history of the land since the Norman Conquest, was unveiled in the grounds. The Lodge, Manor Park The old solid wooden gates to the park, next to the keepers lodge, were replaced through a gift of Glossop Mayor Councillor Farnsworth in 1935. The new gates were of wrought iron and the words 'Manor Park 1935' were set into an arch over the top.
Rose Gardens, Manor Park

The kitchen garden of the hall, in a loop of the Shelf Brook with their greenhouses, used to grow fruit and flowers for the hall, became the rose gardens and the fish pond became an ornamental lake, later used for small paddle boats. Tennis courts and bowling greens were laid out and, later, other recreational areas including the children's playground with its swings and slides and a paddling pool.

Children's Playground, Manor Park, July 1951
Manor Park Bridge & Stream, 1928 By the stream, Manor Park, 1933 Manor Park, Walk between the Stream & Lake

Button image Return to Local History Articles Button image Return to the home page




Page last updated: 13 February 2010.