Glossop Heritage Trust

Local History
Sales
Contact Us

Photo Archive

Click on a thumbnail to see that collection.
Click on thumbnails in each collection to see larger copies of the photos.

Glossop Hall
Glossop Hall
Ralph Standish Howard built the first house on this site, often called Royle Hall, in 1734. When he died in 1735 the Hall became a Howard family Shooting Lodge, and during this time was the residence of both the Bailiff and Agent for the Manor of Glossop. Royle Hall was enlarged and remodelled in 1852, with further extensions added throughout its life and it stood until 1958. Between 1851 & 1924 the 1st and 2nd Barons Howard of Glossop lived here. Between 1927 & 1956 the Hall was occupied by Kingsmoor School.
Old Glossop
Old Glossop
The site of the original settlement of Glott’s hop c650 which became a manor granted to Basingwerk Abbey c1157 called the Manor of Glossop. In 1844 the 13th Duke of Norfolk transferred the market to Howardtown which had begun its development as a new industrial town in 1837, when the 12th Duke built the Town Hall complex; renamed Glossop and the former became Old Glossop.
High Street
The High Street
The A57 runs through the main shopping street of Glossop; west from Manchester and east to Sheffield. Take the tour starting at the Junction Inn at the bottom of High Street West to the Commercial Inn at the top of High Street East.
Shops
Shops
A collection of photographs showing the local shopping experience of the late 19th & early 20th Century.
Buildings
Buildings
A collection of images of the main buildings and landmarks in the town.
Churches & Chapels
Churches & Chapels
Images of both the exterior and interiors of some of the main places of worship in the area.
Industry
Industry
Cotton, Calico & Paper were the main industries in the town. These images also show other various workplaces and workers of the 19th & 20th Century.
Parks
Parks
Manor Park; the outer grounds and gardens of Glossop Hall bequeathed to the town after the sale of the Glossop Estate in 1924, by the 3rd Baron Howard of Glossop and opened to the public in 1927.
Howard Park; a gift to the town to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee in 1887, by Anne Kershaw Wood. The land given by Lord Howard.
Sports & Leisure
Sports & Leisure
Images of Glossop people participating in the various activities available in the area and local schools.
Hadfield and Padfield
Hadfield and Padfield
Hadfield together with the township of Padfield was formed into an ecclesiastical Parish in 1876 and was amalgamated with Glossop in 1894. It is on the borders of Cheshire within the Borough of Glossop. There is a railway station and Church of St Andrew, built 1874 in the Gothic Style. The RC Church, dedicated to St Charles Borromeo was erected in 1858 by Lord Howard of Glossop. The Free Library was built by Edward Platt and presented to the Borough in 1906, as a memorial to his father.
& District
& District
A selection of images round and about the township of Glossop.
Longdendale
Longdendale
Images from the Longdendale Valley.
Transport
Transport
Photos of various forms of transport in Glossop in the past.
Changing Scenes
Changing Scenes
Sets of photos taken from approximately the same place showing how the townscape has changed (or not) over the years.

Button image Return to the home page




Page last updated: 3 July 2017.