Glossop Heritage Trust
High Street West over the years.
One of the most popular spots for taking photos for postcards of Glossop over the years has been the junction of High Street West and Arundel Street, looking eastwards up High Street West.
These examples show how the scene changed over the years - and how much has actually stayed the same.
The first photo must have been taken as the tramway infrastructure was being installed, or just afterwards. It was scanned from a card posted in 1904.
Our second photo was the source for many postcards, issued in several different forms. It dates from about 1910.
A jump forward by nearly thirty years. The number plate of the car on the right indicates the late 1930s (and a copy of the photo was published in the Chronicle on 6 May 1938).
Moving on another ten or fifteen years. The presence of the electric lamp standards, coupled with very light traffic, in the next two photos suggests dates of around 1950.
A Chronicle cutting in the Trust Archives gives a date for our next photo of March 1957.
The "G" suffix of the registration of the Mk 2 Cortina estate in the foreground of our penultimate photo means that it was registered between August 1968 and July 1969, dating the photograph to a little later than that.
The photograph below was taken just before 8 a.m. on 8 November 2018
Return to the Local History Main Menu, Return to Old Town and New Town Articles, Return to the Home Page.
Page last updated: 27 February 2019.
Copyright © 2019 Glossop Heritage Trust. All Rights Reserved.