Glossop Heritage Trust

Glossopdale Churches and Chapels

Pentecostal


Elim, Ellison Street, Glossop; Carmel Pentecostal, Station Road, Hadfield

Bethel, High Street East, Glossop.
The chapel was founded by Principal George Jeffreys and dedicated to him in 1947. The original membership consisted of a group who for some months previously had been holding "cottage meetings" in private homes under the leadership of Paster Herbert Woods. The building had been used as a billiard hall and its original purpose had been a corn merchants.
The Chapel had a seating capacity for 150 people. There was a tiled baptisry below the lower platform and much of the work done on the building was carried out by members of the congregation.
The first Minister was George Jeffreys and he was succeeded in turn by Fred Lomas and then Alec Apted.

Return to top

Elim, Ellison Street, Glossop.
In May 1888 the ceremony of cutting the first sod was performed by Mrs. Howton. By then 100 had already been subscribed for the Chapel which was to cost 700.
The foundation stones were laid on Saturday 15th July 1888 by Mrs. R. Howton (wife of Evangelist) and Mrs. J. Goldsmith of Union Street, Glossop for what was later to become Elim Tabernacle but which was then known as The Gospel Union and Blue Ribbon Mission of which Pastor A. Howton was the Evangelist. Prior to 1888 the Mission was held in the then Liberal Hall. Both ladies received silver trowels with which to formally lay the stones. The Mission was really the off spring of the Blue Ribbon Army founded by Pastor Howton when he first came to Glossop and which held services in public places and at street corners as the Salvation Army does today. There was a Blue Ribbon Army Band conducted by Mr. S. Arnold.
In March 1939 the then Pastor, R.D. Bradley and his congregation decorated the chapel.
This Chapel is still in use today.

Return to top

Carmel Pentecostal, Station Road, Hadfield.
Following an Evangelistic and Divine healing Crusade in October 1968 by the Evangelist R. R. Hicklin, a Pentecostal Chapel was established in Hadfield in 1969 under the guidance of Pastor F. E. Durrant. The building first used was the same as Hadfield Free Methodist Chapel, built in 1875.

Return to top

Return to the Churches & Chapels page, Return to the Local History Main Menu, Return to The Religion and Education Articles, Return to the Home Page.




Page last updated: 25 September 2017.
Copyright 2017 Glossop Heritage Trust. All Rights Reserved.