|St. Charles Borromeo R.C. Church, Hadfield.
Extracts from The story of the church of St. Charles Borromeo, Hadfield by The Very Reverend John Sullivan, M. A. (1985)
The Church was built by Lord Edward Fitzalan Howard, the first Baron Howard of Glossop, and his wife Lady Augusta, the first Baroness and opened on 18th February 1858. Before the church was built Mass was said in a house in Hollingworth.
The architects were Weightman, Hadfield & Goldie. The practice was begun in 1834 by John Gray Weightman (1801-1872) and Matthew Ellison Hadfield (1812-1885). Matthew was the eldest son of Joseph Hadfield of Lees Hall, Glossop. In 1827 at the age of 15 years he entered the offices of his uncle, Michael Ellison, then agent for the Duke of Norfolk Estates in Sheffield. The earliest building known to have been designed by Weightman and Hadfield is the Catholic Church of All Saints, Glossop.
Before any Catholic churches were built in the area, Catholics worshipped at Glossop Hall.
Between 1884 - 85 Lord Francis, 2nd Baron Howard of Glossop demolished the Lady Chapel on the north side of the sanctuary in order to construct a family vault which was completed about 1888. In it her reinterred the remains of his parents, Lord Edward Howard (d.1883), Lady Augusta (d. 1862) and his younger brother Charles (d. 1861) that were buried originally beneath the north aisle. During the ensuing years the following were also interred in the vault: Lord Francis (d.1924), his wife Lady Clara Louisa (d. 1887), their nephew Edward Wilfred Middleton (d.1890), Lord Bernard Edward, Third Baron Howard of Glossop (d.1972), and his wife Mona, Baroness Beaumont (d.1971).
|All Saints, Old Glossop.
In 1836 Bernard Edward, twelfth Duke of Norfolk, grandfather of Lord Edward, built All Saints which was the first Catholic church in the area.
|St. Mary Crowned, Sumner Street, Glossop.
The Church was erected in 1882 at a cost of £17,000 on a site donated by Lord Howard. It was paid for by the generosity of Francis James Sumner to whom there is a memorial stone on the outside wall of the apse facing Tredcroft Street. On 3rd July before the stone laying there was a procession accompanied by the Volunteer Band, Chisworth and Charlesworth Band and Hollingworth Band. The Church was officially opened and consecrated by Dr. Bagshawe, Bishop of Nottingham on 18th August 1887.
The architect was Mr. A. E. Dempster of Birmingham and the contractor was Mr. J. L. Ward of Manchester - the contract being in the sum of £11,429. The architecture is Early English style with chancel, nave and north and south aisles. The nave measures 30 feet wide by 120 feet long by 70 feet high. The north and south aisles are 15 feet wide by 120 feet long and the chancel measures 24 feet by 27 feet with an octagonal apse. The nave is separated from the aisles on each side by eight hand carved stone pillars. The sanctuary is a pentagonal apse and on each side is a small chapel separated from the sanctuary by a carved stone screen surmounted by angels. The high altar is a piece of sculpture in Caen stone, the centre piece being The Last Supper, on either side the Crucifixion and Burial of our Saviour. Behind the altar is the Reredos sculpture in Caen stone of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary into heaven supported by angels, on either side Moses and the serpent and the Israelites being fed manna in the desert.
A small altar in the south aisle is dedicated to St. Charles. (see middle photo below).
The fourteen Stations of the Cross were executed by Meyer of Munich. Each Station a special gift and on a brass plaque beneath each one is inscribed the donor's name.
The first Parish Priest was Father Tasker (1882-1905) followed by Canon Aloysius Hawkins (1905-1919), Canon Wm. R. Winder (1919-1945), Father James Kavangh (1945-1948), Canon Humphrey Wilson (1948-1956), Canon Alfred Baldwin (1956-1978), Father Thomas Fitzgerald (1978).
This Church is still in use today.
|Church of the Immaculate Conception, Broadbottom.
The foundation stone was laid in June 1895 by Canon Hermann J. Sabela of St. Charles, Hadfield on land given to the Church by Lord Howard. The money needed for the building was loaned free of interest by Mr. B. Moss, a Charlesworth Independent churchman. The opening took place in August 1896 and the Parish of St. Charles served Charlesworth, Broadbottom, Gamesley, Hattersley, Mottram and Simmondley.
The church is situated at the foot of a hill on the south east side of the railway bridge and stands in its own grounds. The church itself is a pretty structure of an early English design with parpoint facings and has been substantially built. Mr. Oswald Hill of Manchester was the architect, and the contractors were Messrs. Storrs of Stalybridge.
The altar of Caen stone with marble pillars, the figures in relief and decorative work show great artistic skill. This and the two side altars, also of Caen stone were supplied by Messrs. Bolton of Cheltenham.
The windows are of stained glass by Messrs. Edmonson of Manchester. There is a memorial window on each side of the Church nearest to the altar, each divided into two elongated sections. On the right is St. John and St. Luke ( with inscriptions), on the left St. Mark and St. Matthew.
High Mass on Wednesday 25th August 1896 was celebrated by the Right Rev. Doctor Bagshawe, Bishop of Nottingham. The Deacon was Rev. Father French of All Saints, Glossop, The Sub-Deacon Rev. Father Schurers of Salford. Amongst the Reverend Gentlemen present were: The Right Rev. Monsignor Tasker ( St. Mary's, Glossop), Right Rev. Monsignor Sabela ( St. Charles, Hadfield) and the priest who was to be in charge of this new Church, Rev. Father Murphy.
A grand procession on the following Saturday was attended by 500 people. Father Murphy addressed the congregation at a short service after which a Mr. T. Wyatt generously offered to donate a pipe organ to the Church.
The Church at Broadbottom was served from St. Charles until the 1950's when it was decided that it should be transferred to the care of St. Mary's, Glossop. However in 1971 the areas of Broadbottom and Gamesley became a separate Parish.
The Church is still used today and is once again served by St. Charles, Hadfield - Father D. Bowdren is the Parish Priest.
St. Margaret's, Gamesley.
A sister church to Immaculate Conception, Broadbottom. Services are held in St. Margaret's R. C. Primary School Hall, Glossop Road, Gamesley.
Return to top
Page last updated: 25 September 2017.
Copyright © 2017 Glossop Heritage Trust. All Rights Reserved.