Glossop Heritage Trust

Pigot's Directory of Derbyshire 1842
Entries for the area of the Ancient Parish of Glossop.



GLOSSOP,
WITH THE TOWNSHIPS OF WHITFIELD, HADFIELD, AND PADF1ELD, THE HAMLETS OF CHARLESWORTH, HOWARD’S TOWN AND NEIGHBOURHOODS,
Glossop is a village, township and parish, in the hundred of High Peak; 184 miles from London, 50 n.n.w. from Derby, 25 n.w. from Sheffield, and 13 s.e. from Manchester; situated a short distance from the Manchester and Sheffield railway. This line, now in active progress, is expected to be opened to Glossop (which will then be a station,) towards the end of the present year (1842), or early in the succeeding one. This village, which is populous, and of great manufacturing consequence, is situated on a rising bank, springing from one of the deepest valleys in the Peak. The country around is very pleasing, and many of the views may be considered romantic: plantations abound in the home scenery, and the lands in the low grounds are fertile, but the mountainous parts are less productive. In Glossop and its vicinity there are numerous establishments for the spinning of cotton, and the manufacture of various fabrics from that article; for calico printing, also, there is an extensive concern at Dinting Vale, and woollen goods are made to a limited extent: there are, besides, two paper mills in the neighbourhood. Coal is obtained from mines about three miles hence, and from these Glossop and the adjacent country are principally supplied. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor, and holds courts leet at Easter and Michaelmas ; at the latter period a constable and headborough are appointed, in whom the government of the township is vested. Glossop is in the honour of Tutbury, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas, held there every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s.; and it is a polling station at the election of members to represent the northern division of the shire.
The parish church of All Saints is an ancient edifice; the body has been rebuilt, and public worship was performed in it, for the first time after the completion of the repairs, in September, 1832. The benefice is a discharged vicarage, in the presentation of the Duke of Norfolk, and incumbency of the Rev. Christopher Howe. In the church is a monument, by Bacon, to the memory of Joseph Hague, Esq. of Park Hall, near Hayfield, who bequeathed the interest of £1,000. towards clothing twenty-four poor men and women, of this and some of the adjacent townships. Glossop Hall, the property of the Duke of Norfolk, is near the village. His Grace has erected here, at his own expense, a Roman catholic chapel - a neat edifice, in the Tuscan order, capable of seating six hundred persons, On Wednesday, the 30th July, 1834, the neighbourhood of Glossop was visited by a tremendous tempest: the village appeared, at one time, to be enveloped in a continuous blaze of lightning, while the thunder, pealing amongst the hills, was unusually loud and terrific, and the rain and hail poured down in such quantities as to cause an overwhelming flood, which swept down the valley with impetuous force, carrying devastation, and striking with dismay the inhabitants. Several mills received great injury; and two young women and a child, belonging to one of these works, perished in the flood. Extensive damage was done to the fields, gardens, fences, roads, and bridges, of which last four were entirely destroyed. A fair, for cattle and various commodities, is held on the 6th of May. The parish of Glossop contained, in 1831, 13,766 inhabitants, and by the late census (June, 1841,) 14,575—of which last number 3,547 were returned for the township.
Whitfield, one mile and a half from GIossop—and Hadfield and Padfield, two miles distant, are townships in the parish of Glossop; all interested, more or less, in the manufactures of that parish. At Whitfield is a charity school, founded by the late Mr. Joseph Hague, before mentioned. Population of these townships in 1841- Whitfield, 3,044; Hadfield, 1,499; Padfield, l,656.
Charlesworth, three miles from Glossop - and Howard’s Town, one mile distant, are hamlets in Glossop parish. At the latter (once known by the name of Bridge-End,) are two good inns; and at Charlesworth is a chapel for independents. Population of that hamlet, 1,731; the inhabitants of Howard’s Town are returned with Glossop.
POST OFFICE, Howard’s Town, Joseph Oates, Post Master. - Letters from all parts arrive every forenoon at eleven, and are despatched every afternoon at a quarter before four.
GENTRY AND CLERGY.
Adamson Rev. John, Charlesworth
Atkin Rev. Thomas, Little Moor
Ellison Michael, esq. (agent to the Duke of Norfolk) Glossop hall
Ellison the Misses, Glossop cottage
Fauvel Rev. Theodore, Royle house
Hadfield Joseph, esq. Lees hall
Howe Rev. Christopher, Glossop
Thornely John, esq. Chisworth
Watmough Rev. Abraham, Glossop
ACADEMIES & SCHOOLS.
Dearneley John, Whitfield
Farrand Joseph Henry, Green vale
Fielding Joseph, Glossop
Hague's Charity School, Whitfield - John Dearneley, master
Kelsall Sarah & Hannah (day and boarding) Glossop
Micklethwaite Robert Watts, Glossop
Newton Samuel, Hadfield
Winterbottom Robert, Glossop
AUCTIONEERS.
Oates Joseph, Howard’s town
Preston Thomas, Green vale
BANK.
Manchester and Liverpool District Banking Company (branch of) Howard’s Town - (open daily, except Saturday, from 9 to 3, and on Saturday from 9 to 1 - draw on Smith, Payne and Smiths’, London) - Jonas Pilling, manager
BLACKSMITHS.
Bennett Jas. Rose green & Hall fold
Bennett John & Jos. Charlesworth
Bennett Thomas, Glossop
Bennett William, Charlesworth
Calow Joseph, Mill Town
Greaves Benjamin, Howard’s Town
Jackson Michael, Rose green
Pickford Samuel, Chunal
Rhodes John, Howard’s Town
Wood John, Padfield
BOOKSELLERS, PRINTERS & STATIONERS.
Irlam John, Howard’s Town
Nutter John, Howard’s Town
Perry John, Hall st, Glossop
Schofield Charles (and binder) Howard’s Town
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS.
Alsop John, Glossop
Beard John, Padfield
Beard Joseph, Charlesworth
Bramhall Joseph, Rose green
Bramhall Joseph, Green vale
Bunting Joshua, Little moor
Charles John, Rose green
Clark William, Howard’s Town
Cooper David, Charlesworth
Cooper John, Holehouse
Cooper Moses, Green vale
Dearnley William, Mill Town
Doxon Simeon, Corn Mill bridge
Dyson Mark, Woolley bridge
Garside William, Charlesworth
Gooder David, Charlestown
Gray Thomas, Dinting vale
Hadfield Samuel, Howard’s Town
Hall John, Wren nest
Hardman James, Howard’s Town
Harrison John, Glossop
Harrison John (warehouse) Glossop
Jackson John, Charlesworth
Jackson Solomon, Padfield
Mather William, Chisworth
Nield Joseph, Little moor
Nuttall Richard, New York
Pickford John, Padfield
Schofield James, Woodcock road
Scholes George, Primrose vale
Scholes Joseph, Charlesworth
Scholes Joshua, Simmondley
Shaw Samuel, Charlesworth
Shephard Abraham, Howard’s Town
Shepley Thomas, Charlesworth
Sheppard William, Cross cliff
Stafford John, Charlestown
Thompson John, Mill town
Thorneley Richard, Chisworth
Watts George, Bridgefield
Wood George, Mill Town
Wormald Joshua, Howard's Town
BRAZIERS & TINMEN.
Heggenbottom Jos. Howard’s Town
Lawton Caleb, Glossop
Lawton John (& ironmonger) Mill Town
BUTCHERS.
Booth Thomas, Charlesworth
Booth William, Simmondley
Bray Henry, Hadfield
Buckley Jeremiah, Charlestown
Fielding Thomas, Whitfield
Garlick Joseph, Hadfield
Goddard Samuel, Charlesworth
Hall John, Charlesworth
Hollingworth Jos. Howard’s Town
Lawton William, Green vale
Newton Richard, Hadfield
Nield Dan, Whitfield
Pickford James, Glossop
Pott John, Howard’s Town
Radcliffe Win. Rose green
Robinson Anthony (pork) Howard's Town
Schofield James, Rose green
Shaw Robert, Glossop
Sykes John, Woolley bridge
Wagstaffe John Jas. Howard’s Town
CALICO PRINTERS.
Potter Edmund & Co. Dinting vale
COTTON BANDING MAKERS.
Booth John & George, Holehouse
Jackson Jas. & Levi, Primrose vale
Ratcliffe Thomas, Chisworth
Rowbotham James, Chew wood
COTTON SPINNERS.
Barber Wm, & Sons, Padfield brook
Barnes James, Dunsterville (& wool combers) Charlestown Mills
Beresford Joseph & Co. Glossop
Bowden John, Holehouse
Cooper Joseph, Holehouse
Hadfield John, Cow brook
Harrison Benjamin, Kinder lee
Hodgson & Wright (and manufacturers) Mill Town
Howard Joseph, Bridge field
Kershaw John, Hurst mill
Kershaw Robert & Co, Charlestown
Lees Henry, Woolley bridge
Lees Samuel, Padfield brook
Linney Isaac, Mill Town
Marsland Samuel, Broadbottom bridge, near Mottram
Nield John & Co. Charlesworth
Platt William Thomas & Edward, Hadfield lodge
Robinson William, Glossop
Shepley Robert and James, Warth Mill, Glossop
Shepley Samuel, Brookfield Sidebottom Geo. & Joe. Broadbottom Mills, near Mottram
Sidebottom John & William & Co. Waterside, near Mottram, Cheshire
Sumner Francis, Wren Nest Mill
Wood John, Howard’s Town Mill
CURRIERS AND LEATHER SELLERS.
Shepley Samuel, Howard’s Town
Wilby William, Howard’s Town
DRESS MAKERS.
Bolton Mary, Howard's Town
Braddock Ellen, Green vale
Goodwin Mary, Howard’s Town
Nall Ellen, Howard’s Town
Thornton Mary, Howard’s Town
DRUGGISTS.
Booth John (& seedsman) Howard’s Town
Braddock Robert, Green vale
Jackson William, Howard’s Town
Norminton John, Water side
Sellars Wm. Woolley bridge
Wreaks Thomas Peacock, Howard's Town
GROCERS AND DEALERS IN SUNDRIES.
Beever James, Little moor
Bennett George, Whitfield
Bennett Jane, Green vale
Bennett Joseph, Charlesworth
Booth Abraham, Simmondley
Booth John, Howard’s Town
Booth Ralph, Chisworth
Bowden George, Glossop
Bradbury John, Charlesworth
Bradbury William, Water side
Braddock Robert, Green vale
Bray Henry, Hadfield
Brocklehurst George, Charlesworth
Brownhill Henry, Charlestown
Chatterton John, Hadfield
Collier Samuel (the executors of) Howard’s Town
Collier Thomas, Howard's Town
Cook James, Water side
Cooper James, Glossop
Cooper Joseph, Whitfield
Cresswell William, Glossop
Crowther Saville, Hadfield
Downs David, Howard’s Town
Ellis Thomas, Little moor
Fielding Jerry, Green vale
Ford & Sidebotham, Glossop
Garlick John, Little moor
Garlick John, Junction
Goddard William, Woolley bridge
Goddard Wm. & Co. Howard’s Town
Green Joseph, Howard’s Town
Hall James, Glossop
Hall John, Charlesworth
Hampson John & Joseph, Howard’s Town
Harrison Abel, Charlestown
Harrison James, Kinder lee
Harrison Nathan, Howard’s Town
Harrop James, Glossop
Harrop Joseph, Mill Town
Higginbottom Anthony, Mill Town
Higginbottom Peter, Charlesworth
Irlam John, Howard’s Town
Jackson James, Charlesworth
Jackson Michael, Rose green
Jackson Thomas, Wren nest
Jubb Charles, Chisworth
Lee Isaiah, Glossop
Longbottom Ralph, Water side
Longden John, Bose green
Marshall Robert, Hadfield
Massey Daniel, Mill town
Norminton Charles, Water side
Nutter John, Wren nest
Oldfield Henry, Glossop
Parkin George, Howard’s Town
Platt Joshua, Padfield
Platt Thomas, Dinting vale
Robinson Friend, Hadfield
Robinson John, Howard’s Town
Rolley Kezia, Waterside
Schofield James, Woodcock road
Schofield John, Rose green
Sellars Robert, Glossop
Shaw Ann, Howard’s Town
Siddall John, Padfield
Sheran Edward, Glossop
Smithes Henry, Howard’s Town & Simmondley
Sykes Aaron, Woolley bridge
Sykes Jerry, Green vale
Sykes John, Charlesworth
Thorneley Robert, Little moor
Thorp Thomas, Woolley bridge
Thorpe Betty, Glossop
Wagstaff Aaron, Mill town
Warhurst Thomas, Hadfield
Wilkinson Joseph, Green vale
Williamson George, Howard’s Town
Wood Charles, Howard’s Town
Wood John, Whitfield
Woodcock Joseph, Brookfield
HAIR DRESSERS.
Barber Owen, Howard’s Town
Lees Isaac, Howard's Town
Wood Thomas, Little moor
HATTERS.
Bramhall Jesse, Hadfield
Coe James & Co. Howard’s Town
Pemberton Joseph, Howard’s Town
Pemberton Joseph, Glossop
INNS.
Howard Arms, Samuel Wagstaffe, Howard's Town
Norfolk Arms, Maria Wagstaffe, Howard’s Town
JOINERS, &c.
Alsop James, Glossop
Ashworth John, Glossop
Bradbury George, Little moor
Bradbury John, Charlesworth
Bradbury Thomas, Hobroyd
Dyas Edward (and cabinet maker) Howard’s Town
Fernley William, Wren nest
Greaves Joseph, Hadfield
Harrison John, Wren nest
Knott John, Glossop
Robinson Joseph, Hobroyd
Thorpe George, Woodcock road
Thorpe Joseph, Glossop
Warhurst John, Hadfield
LINEN DRAPERS.
Brennan Bernard, Hadfield
Gee John, Howard's Town
Longbottom Ralph, Water side
Moss Arthur, Charlesworth
Platt Joshua, Padfield
Robinson Joseph, Howard’s Town
Warhurst Thomas, Hadfield
Webb Charles & Co. Howard’s Town
Woodcock Joseph, Brookfield
MANUFACTURERS - VARIOUS.
Allney William (stocking) Howard’s Town
Lees Henry (by power) Woolley bridge
Marsland Samuel (by power) Broad- bottom lodge, near Mottram
Robinson Jos. (woollen) Gnat hole
Shepley Robert & James (cotton) Warth Mill, Glossop
Sidebottom George and Joe (by power) Broadbottom Mills, near Mottram
Sidebottom John and William and Co. (by power) Waterside, near Mottram, Cheshire
Sumner Francis (cotton) Wren Nest Mill, Glossop
Wood John (by power) Howard’s Town Mill
NAIL MAKERS.
Fawley Matthew, Glossop
Hall John, Wren nest
Hoyland James, Dinting vale
PAINTERS, PLUMBERS AND GLAZIERS.
Hegginbottom Jos. Howard’s town
Hegginbottom Joseph, Glossop
Wagstaff Aaron, Mill town
PAPER MAKERS.
Barnes James Dunsterville & Co. Charlestown Mills
Corns Thomas & Co. Dinting Mill
STONE MASONS.
Rowbotham Joseph, Charlesworth
Watts Thomas, Primrose vale
STRAW HAT MAKERS.
Goodwin Mary, Howard’s Town
Robinson Mary, Glossop
Thornton Mary, Howard’s town
SURGEONS.
Howard Wm. Wardle, Howard’s Town
Jackson William, Howard’s Town
Jones John, Hadfield
Rusby John, Mill Town
Smith Robert, Charlesworth
Wilson Daniel, Mill Town
TAILORS.
Bardsley Thomas, Charlesworth
Blunt Joseph, Hadfield
Bowden James, Glossop
Dewsnap Valentine, Glossop
Dixon William, Charlesworth
Ellis John, Padfield
Froggatt Thomas, Rose green
Goddard Samuel, Charlestown
Goodwin Thomas, Howard’s Town
Hall Aaron, Howard’s Town
Hall James, Glossop
Hall Robert, Glossop
Hurst James (& draper) Howard’s Town
M’Daniel John, Green vale
Wadsworth John (& draper) Howard’s Town
Webb Charles & Co. Howard’s Town
Wrigley Thomas, Howard’s Town
TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.
Anchor, John Garlick, Hadfield
Angel, Samuel Olerenshaw, Simmondley
Bull’s Head, James Morris, Charlesworth
Bull’s Head, Esther Platt, Glossop
Commercial, James Collier. Rose green
Commercial, Thomas Fernaly, Water side
Commercial, Ann Hadfield, Charlestown
Commercial, James Harrison, Chisworth
Concert Tavern, John Higginbottom, Whitfield
Drovers’ Inn, John Buckley, Charlestown
George & Dragon, Martha Booth,Charlesworth
Grey Mare, George Brocklehurst, Charlesworth
Greyhound, Thomas Hadfield, Glossop
Hare & Hounds, Jos. Hadfield, Glossop
Horse Shoe, Jos. Bennett, Charlesworth
Horse Shoe, Samuel Pickford, Chunal
Howard’s Arms, Samuel Wagstaffe, Howard’s Town
Junction, Thomas Garlick, Dinting vale
King’s Arms, Jno. Rowbottom, Chisworth
Queen’s Arms, William Hadfield, Glossop
Railway Tavern, Rd. Preston, Dinting vale
Royal Oak, Josh. Shepley, Woodcock. Road
Spinners’ Arms, William Moss, Hadfield
Spread Eagle,Thomas Bowden, Woolley bridge
Woolley Bridge Inn, Thomas Hacking, Woolley bridge
RETAILERS of BEER
Band Charles, Mill Town
Barlow John, Water side
Bennett Samuel, Dinting vale
Booth Robert, Charlesworth
Bradbury George, Little moor
Cuthbert John, Mill Town
Darwent Nathan, Glossop
Dewsnap Joshua, Dinting vale
Dewsnap Moses, Simmondley
Fielding Charles, Rough Town
France John. Green vale
Goddard William, Woolley bridge
Hadfield Thomas, Glossop
Hadfield Sarah, Padfield
Hampson Jordan, Mill Town
Harrison Thomas, Lower barn
Harrop Thomas,Howard’s Town
Higginbottom Isaac, Charlesworth
Hill Benjamin, Woolley bridge
Irlam John, Howard’s Town
Marsden Robert, Gamesley
Nield Dan, Whitfield
Oates Jane, Howard’s Town
Patchett George, Charlesworth
Pott John. Howard’s Town
Reed Thomas, Dinting Vale
Rowbottom Joseph, Charlesworth
Rowbottom Samuel, Chisworth
Schofield John, Rose green
Seaston Joseph, Howard’s Town
Shepley Thomas, Charlesworth
Swindells George, Chisworth
Thorneley William, Gamesley
Wilkinson Joseph, Green Vale
Woolley Mary, Howard’s Town
WATCH & CLOCK MAKERS.
Barber Samuel, Howard’s Town
Collier Thomas, Howard’s Town
Minshull John, Howard’s Town
WHEELWRIGHTS.
Beard Joseph, Charlesworth
Bennett Samuel, Dinting bridge
Cockayne George, Corn Mill Bridge
MISCELLANEOUS.
Booth Jas. machine maker, Charlesworth
Court of Requests, Howard’s Town - Edward William Thompson, clerk
Dickinson Tobias, clerk to the Board of Guardians and registrar of births, deaths, and marriages. Glossop
Dispensary, Howard’s Town - William Wardle Howard, apothecary
Goodwin Thos. eating house, Howard’s Town
Holroyd Matthew, brush manufacturer, Howard’s Town
Jee Alfred Stanistreet, civil engineer and resident engineer to the Manchester & Sheffield Railway Co. Dinting lodge
Lister John, saddler, Howard’s Town
I.yne William,picker maker, Simmondley
Massey Henry, gardener, Charlesworth
Nattrass Wm. basket maker. Rose green
Newton Jas. greengrocer, Howard’s Town
Oates Joseph, postmaster and inspector of weights and measures, Howard’s Town
Oates Wm. coach proprietr, Howard’s Town
Priest Thomas, gun maker. Glossop
Rhodes John, vet. surgeon, Howard’s Town
Shaw John, inventor and maker of valve trumpets and horns, Mill Town
Shepley Joseph, tanner, Charlesworth
Swindells Thos. confectioner, Howard’s Town
Swire Thos. clog & patten maker, Howard’s Town
Thompson Edward Wm. attorney & clerk to the Court of Requests, Howard’s Town
Thornely John & Son, coal proprietors, Holehouse
Thorpe George, greengrocer. Rose green
Tomlinson William, gardener, Hall st
Union Workhouse, Glossop - James Waterhouse, master; Mary Waterhouse, matron
White George, stone merchant, Whitfield
COACHES.
To MANCHESTER, the Royal Mail, from the Norfolk Arms, every afternoon at a quarter before four, and the Umpire (from Sheffield), calls at the same Inn, every afternoon at half-past one; all go through Stalybridge, Ashton, &c.
To SHEFFIELD, the Umpire (from Manchester), calls at the Norfolk Arms every afternoon (Sunday excepted) at one.
CARRIERS.
To MANCHESTER, Jas. Harrop, from his house, Glossop, and George Siddall, from his house, Howard’s town, every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
To STOCKPORT, Samuel Dewsnap & Peter Higginbottom, from their houses, Charlesworth, every Friday; and John Sheppard, from his house, Glossop, every Monday and Friday.


HAYFIELD AND NEIGHBOURHOOD.
Hayfield, an independent chapelry, generally included in the parish of Glossop, is five miles s. from Glossop, and about the same distance n. from Chapel-en-le-Frith. It is a populous manufacturing district, having several large cotton spinning factories, one for woollen goods, and works for calico printing. A meeting of the county magistrates is held here monthly, on Thursday.
The church, a handsome modern edifice, rebuilt by the inhabitants in 1818, is very much admired for its neatness. The living is a perpetual curacy; the resident freeholders hare the privilege of nominating the minister. This peculiar right it seems was granted by Richard II, in the year 1386. The present incumbent is the Rev. Samuel Wasse, M.A. The Methodists have a chapel here, with a Sunday school; and there is a large day and Sunday school belonging to the establishment : the day school having an endowment for the education of a limited number of free scholars, who are taught by Mr. Isaac Brunt. About a mile from Hayfield, on the Glossop road, is Park Hall, the beautiful seat of John White, Esq. a magistrate for the county of Derby. A fair for cattle is held here on the 12th May. The chapelry of Hayfield contained, at the late census (1841) 3,637 inhabitants; and the township 1,715 of that number.
POST OFFICE; at the George Inn, Rachael Quarmby, Post Mistress. - Letters from all parts arrive (from Stockport) every forenoon at eleven, and are despatched every afternoon at two.
GENTRY & CLERGY.
Crowther Mrs. Alice, Hayfield
Marriott Mr. John, Hayfield
Marriott Mr. Thomas, Hayfield
Slack Mr. John, Little Hayfield
Wasse Rev. Samuel, Hayfield
Waterhouse Mr. Samuel, Birch hall
White John, esq. (county magistrate) Park hall
PROFESSIONAL PERSONS,
Adamson Ebenezer, clerk to the board of guardians and superintendent registrar
Brunt Isaac, schoolmaster
Eyre Mary, schoolmistress
INNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.
Bull's Head, James Shaw
George Inn, Rachael Quarmby
Pack Horse, William Wells Gould
COTTON SPINNERS,
Bowden Joseph, Ned Mill
Hibbert& Alcock (& manufacturers) Clough Mills
Rangeley Aaron, Phoside Mill
SHOPKEEPERS, TRADERS, &c.
Bennett George, beer retailer
Boardman John, hair dresser
Bowden Joseph, shopkeeper & beer retailer
Bradbury Robert, shopkeeper
Brailsford John, tailor
Brocklehurst James, cotton banding manufacturer, and blacksmith
Brown James, bleacher and spinner, Bottoms
Eyre George, woollen manufacturer
Eyre Thomas, shopkeeper & butcher
Hadfield Samuel, boot, &c. maker
Hall Samuel, beer retailer
Hallum Isaac, tailor
Hampson James, wheelwright
Hampson Joseph, hair dresser
Hampson Samuel, wheelwright
Handford John, beer retailer
Hobson John, shopkeeper
Mason Joel, joiner and builder
Mason Samuel, shopkeeper
Rangeley Aaron, shopkeeper
Rangeley Dennis, joiner and builder
Rangeley Isaac, joiner and builder
Rangeley Jonah, joiner
Redfern George, cotton banding manufacturer and shopkeeper
Slack Robert, paper maker, Primrose Valley Mills
Stafford John, retailer of beer
Syne William, painter & glazier
Taylor & Lucas, calico printers, Wood Print Works
Taylor Peter, tin-plate worker
Trevett Joseph, tailor
Turner George, cooper
Turner Joseph, shoe maker & beer retailer
Turner William, butcher
Walker James, shoe maker
Walker Jno. corn dealer, druggist & agent to Yorkshire Assurance Co.
Walker William, shoe maker
Warrington James, stonemason
Waterhouse John, blacksmith
Waterhouse Martha, shopkeeper
Wilde Thomas, parish clerk
Woodcock Joseph, shopkeeper
CARRIERS
To MANCHESTER, John Barber,every Tuesday.
To STOCKPORT, John Barber and Joseph Gee, every Friday.


MELLOR,
WITH MARPLE, MARPLE BRIDGE, COMPSTALL BRIDGE, ROMILY AND NEIGHBOURHOODS.
Mellor is a chapelry in the parish of Glossop, and hundred of High Peak ; 6½ miles s. w. from the village of Glossop, 8 n.n.w. from Chapel-en-le-Frith, 7 e. from Stockport, and 14 s.e. from Manchester. The cotton manufacture employs many inhabitants of this chapelry; one establishment in particular, the Messrs. Wallers’, is very extensive. At a short distance from the village is the church (or chapel) of Saint James, a neat stone structure; the living, a curacy, is enjoyed by the Rev. Matthew Freeman. The Wesleyan and primitive Methodists have each a place of worship here. The population of this chapelry has been decreasing for several years: in 1821 it contained 2,099 inhabitants - in 1831, 2,059 - and, in 1841, 2,015.
Marple, and Marple Bridge, commonly called Upper and Nether Marple (Nether Marple, or Marple Bridge being in the county of Derby,) form a chapelry in the parish of Stockport, about five miles E. s.e. from that town. The spinning of cotton, bleaching and calico printing, are carried on to some extent in the chapelry and neighbourhood; and upon the river Goyt are some corn mills. Not far from the village is a noble aqueduct of three arches, which bestrides the river Mersey. A branch from the Peak Forest canal to Macclesfield was opened here on the 9th November, 1831; it joins the Mersey canal at Lawton. Wyberslegh Hall, now a farm house, is notable as the birth-place of Jonn Bradshaw, who was president of the high court of justice that sentenced Charles I to the scaffold. In the register of Stockport church his birth is thus entered: '1602 John the Sonne of Henry Bradshaw, of Marple, was baptized the 10th of December;' in the margin is the word traitor, with a line under it. The probate copy of his will, which may still be seen at Marple Hall, contains a bequest of £700. to purchase an annuity for maintaining a free school at Marple: the changes with regard to property, brought about at the restoration, prevented this provision from being available; Henry Bradshaw, however, who survived his brother, founded a small school here, and endowed it with the interest of £100., which has since been augmented by other benefactions. Marple Hall is a noble old house, finely situated on the rise of a hill above the Goyt, and is, as well as Wyberslegh Hall, the property of the Isherwood family, descendants of president Bradshaw. The chapel of ease, here, was some years since rebuilt of stone, and the tower furnished with the old bells of Stockport church; the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the rector of Stockport, and present incumbency of the Rev. Samuel Irton Fell. There are chapels here for Wesleyan and primitive Methodists. The chapelry contained, in 1831, 2,678 inhabitants, and, in 1841, 3,449.
Two miles from Marple, in the parish of Stockport, is the village of Compstall Bridge, the inhabitants of which are, for the most part, employed in the cotton manufacture, and works for calico printing. The Wesleyan and primitive Methodists have each a chapel here, which are the only places of worship. Thirty or forty years ago Compstall consisted of only a few straggling cottages; but since the establishment of the cotton manufacture it has been gradually increasing - its population, now, amounts to nearly if not fully 2,000.
Romily is a township, also in the parish of Stockport, from which it is distant about four miles ; situated on the hills bordering on the county of Derby. Chadkirk chapel is in this township, nearly opposite to Marple Hall; and there are places of worship for independents and Wesleyan Methodists; the benefice of Romily, or Chadkirk, is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the rector of Stockport. The number or inhabitants, in 1831, was 1,290 - and, in 1841, 1,465.
POST OFFICE, Marple, Joseph Rowbottom, Post Master. - Letters from all parts arrive every morning at ten, and are despatched every afternoon at half-past three.
POST OFFICE, Compstall Bridge, Jane Dyson, Post Mistress. - Letters from all parts arrive (from Stockport) every afternoon at three, and are despatched every morning at seven.
*** By this post Letters are likewise conveyed to and brought from Mellor.
GENTRY & CLERGY.
Andrew George, esq. Green hill, Compstall Bridge
Barlow Mrs. Mary, Birch vale, Romily
Bennett Rev. Thomas, Hatherlow
Bruckshaw Joshua, esq. Harryton
Clayton John, esq. Mellor lodge
Fell Rev. Samuel Irton, Marple
Freeman Rev. Matthew, Mellor
Hadfield Moses, esq. Mellor
Isherwood Thomas Bradshaw, esq. Marple hall
Lees Thomas, esq. Townscliff, Mellor
Moult Mr. Emanuel, Marple
Mount Thomas, esq. Mellor hall
Orford Richard, esq. Marple
Orford Thomas, esq. Marple
Tomlinson Mr. William, Roworth
Walmsley Charles, esq. Marple
Wright John, esq. Brabbin’s hall
ACADEMIES & SCHOOLS.
Boothroyd John, Marple
Goddard John (boarding and day) Marple
Hibbert William, Compstall Bridge
Hiles Benjamin, Compstall Bridge
National School, Marple - Joshua Ernill, master
ATTORNEYS.
Eccles Aaron, Marple
Walmsley Charles Hollins, Marple
BLACKSMITHS.
Hampson Benjamin, Marple
Mather John, Marple Bridge
Ruben John, Romily
Saville Joseph, Mellor
Yarwood Samuel, Marple Bridge
BOBBIN TURNERS.
Hambleton George, Mellor
Stafford James, Mellor
BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS.
Arnfield John, Mellor
Bagshaw George, Mellor
Barker William, Marple Bridge
Clark Edward, Compstall Bridge
Fielding Henry, Marple
Glenn Thomas, Mellor
Hallam Joseph, Marple Bridge
Hambleton Charles, Mellor
Harrop Joseph, Lower Marple
Hulme Henry, Marple
Jackson William, Compstall Bridge
Jessop Joseph, Marple
Mould William, Compstall Bridge
Norbury Joseph, Marple
Pearson Eli, Compstall Bridge
Pridmore John, Romily
Renshaw Isaac, Compstall Bridge
Shaw William, Compstall Bridge
Stafford Jabez, Mellor
Swindells James, Marple
BUTCHERS.
Bradbury Joseph, Mellor
Brindley Ann, Marple
Ferguson William, Marple
Froggatt George, Marple Bridge
Greaves William, Compstall Bridge
Gregory James, Romily
Hand Thomas, Mellor
Richardson James, Compstall Bridge
Taylor Joseph, Marple
Turner Thomas, Mellor
CALICO PRINTERS.
Andrew Geo. & Sons, Compstall Bridge
Siddall James, Chadkirk
COAL MERCHANTS.
Andrew George, Compstall Bridge
Jowett James & Jonathan, Compstall Bridge
Jowett Jonathan, Mellor
Tomlinson Henry, Shaw Marsh, Mellor
COTTON SPINNERS.
Marked thus * are also Manufacturers of Cotton Goods.
* Andrew, Bruckshaw & Co. Compstall Bridge
Brierley James & Samuel, Mellor
Clayton John & Co. Bottoms mill Mellor
Froggatt John, Mellor
Haworth Lawrence, Oakwood mill, Romily
Ratcliffe Samuel & Joseph, Mellor
* Shepley Robert & James. Marple ,
* Waller Ralph & William & Thomas (and candle wick makers) Mellor
Bradbury Joseph, Mellor
Walmsley William Thomas, Marple Bridge
* Woolley John, Mellor
COTTON WASTE DEALERS.
Bardsley Robert, Mellor
Stanney William, Mellor
Tomlinson William, Mellor
GROCERS.
See Shopkeepers and Dealers in Groceries and Sundries.
HATTERS.
Ashforth Samuel, Romily
Hyde John, Romily
Oldham Thomas, Mellor
Ryle John Worthington, Holehouse fold, Romily
JOINERS.
Bowden Josiah, Marple
Lawton Jonas, Marple Bridge
Matthews Joseph, Marple
Platt John, Marple
Slack Thomas, Mellor
Torkington Thomas, jun. Marple
Wareham William, Compstall Bridge
Webster William, Marple Bridge
LINEN DRAPERS.
Bridge Elizabeth, Marple
Coe Daniel, Marple
Cooper John, Compstall Bridge
Hambleton John, Marple Bridge
Rowbotham Samuel, Marple Bridge
MILLERS.
Bennett John, Ludworth
Brindley Francis & Co. Canal mills, Marple
Handford Joseph, Marple Bridge
MILLINERS & DRESS MAKRS
Goddard Ann, Marple Bridge
Warhurst Hannah, Compstall Bridge
PICKER MAKERS.
Boden James, Marple
Ernhill Samuel, Mellor
Holden Samuel, Ludworth
SADDLERS.
Gee Daniel, Marple Bridge
Morris William, Marple
SHOPKEEPERS & DEALRS IN GROCERIES & SUNDRIES.
Arnfield John, Mellor
Axon Charles, Romily
Bagshaw George, Compstall Bridge
Baxter Maria, Marple Bridge
Booth Henry, Romily
Booth Peter, Romily
Booth Sarah, Romily
Bradbury Joseph, Mellor
Bridge & Higginbotham, Compstall Bridge
Bridges Elizabeth & Mary, Marple
Cooper James, Mellor
Cooper John, Compstall Bridge
Cotterill James, Mellor
Gee Joseph, Marple Hall
Hall Thomas, Marple
Hambleton Joel, Mellor
Hawkyard Thos. Compstall Bridge
Hyde John, Romily
Jinks William, Marple
Joule Robert, Marple
Kelsall Henry, Marple
Kimer Edward, Marple
Kirk John, Marple Bridge
Longley William, Compstall Bridge
Lowe Samuel, Romily
Marsland Robert, Marple
Norbury George, Marple
Oliver Samuel, Compstall Bridge
Paulden David, Marple
Pearson John, Mellor
Pickford Joseph, Mellor
Platt Anthony, Marple Bridge
Platt Joshua, Lower Marple
Pollitt John, Romily
Ratcliffe Samuel, Mellor
Reece James, Roworth
Rowbotham James, Marple
Saxon Thomas, Compstall Bridge
Swindells James, Marple
Thornely Samuel, Mellor
Waine John, Marple
Waller Maria & Jane, Mellor
Warburton Thomas, Romily
Warhurst Horatio, Compstall Bridge
Woolley John, Compstall Bridge
Woolley Thomas, Romily
STONE DEALERS.
Berham James, Romily
Clayton John, Romily
Swindell Alexander, Romily
STONE MASONS.
Ollerenshaw John (& slater) Mellor
Ollerenshaw William, Mellor
Stafford Simeon, Mellor
SURGEONS.
Hibbert James, Marple Bridge
Howe John, Marple
Tomlinson William, Ludworth
Tomlinson William, Chapman's fields, Ludworth
TAILORS.
Allen Thomas, Marple
Axon Thomas, Romily
Brailsford Samuel, Mellor
Davis William, Compstall Bridge
Dawson James, Marple
Dawson Joseph, Marple
Gibbens Isaac, Marple Bridge
Hinchliffe William, Compstall Bridge
Howden Thomas, Compstall Bridge
Jackson John, Marple
Jackson Joseph, Marple
Jarratt Francis, Compstall Bridge
Longley William, Compstall Bridge
Watters George (& diaper) Compstall Bridge
Wood Joseph, Compstall Bridge
TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.
Board, Ann Tomlinson, Rowarth
Board, Nanny Tomlinson, Brookbottom
Boat House, Thom's Bromiley, Romily
Bowling Green, Robert Bowden, Marple
Bull’s Head, Charles Jackson, Marple
Church Inn, Thomas Woolley, Mellor
Commercial, John Saxon, Compstall Bridge
Craven Heifer, John Hough, Romily
Devonshire Arms, Samuel Oldham, Mellor
Duke of Sussex, Henry Marsland, Mellor
Duke of York, John Brookes, Romily
Foresters’ Arms, Peter Booth, Romily
Fox, Jane Howard, Brookbottom, Mellor
Greyhound, Samuel Swindells, Romily
Gun, James Wardle, Marple
Hare & Hounds, Nathaniel Fox, Marple Bridge
Hare & Hounds, Thomas Hand, Mellor
Hare & Hounds, John Shaw, Rowarth
Hare & Hounds, Mary Woodruff, Chadkirk
Horse Shoe, John Wright, Marple Bridge
Jolly Sailor, Joseph Rowbottom, Marple
Junction Inn, Thomas Hyde, Roworth
Navigation, John Edwards. Marple
Norfolk Arms, Thos. Turner, Marple Bridge
Odd Fellows' Arms, Abrm. Heap, Mellor
Railway Inn, Robert Fox, Marple Bridge
Royal Oak, John Hulley, Mellor
Shuttle, Thomas Shaw, Compstall Bridge
Sportsman's Arms, Jos. Middleton, Mellor
Sportsman’s Arms, Joel Sidebotham, Marple
Spring Gardens Tavern, Caleb Warhurst, Compstall Bridge
Stock Dove, James Oldham, Romily
Wellington, Henry Marsland, Mellor
RETAILERS of BEER.
Anderson Henry, Mellor
Archer Daniel, Marple Bridge
Ashforth Samuel, Romily
Bennett Joseph, Marple
Booth Henry, Romily
Bowden Betty, Marple
Bunting John, Mellor
Hadfield James, Mellor
Hambleton Joel, Mellor
Higginbottom Peter, Compstall Bridge
Hinchliffe Joseph, Compstall Bridge
Holden Samuel, Compstall Bridge
Horsfield James, Compstall Bridge
Hyde John, Romily
Hyde Thomas, Mellor
Joule Robert, Marple
Mather John, Marple Bridge
Matley Samuel, Compstall Bridge
Moors Thomas, Compstall Bridge
Pollitt John, Romily
Pritchard John, Marple
Ratcliffe James, Compstall Bridge
Reece James, Roworth
Storer Henry, Mellor
Tunnicliffe Thomas, Marple
Tymm Joseph, Lower Marple
Walker John. Marple Bridge
Warhurst & Caleb, Compstall Bridge
Williamson Richard, Marple
Woolley Thomas, Romily
WHEELWRIGHTS.
Broadhurst Samuel, Marple
Longson James, Mellor
Morten John, Marple
Sleigh Thomas, Marple Bridge
MISCELLANEOUS.
Atkin Isaac, auctioneer, Marple
Bridge Buck Henry, tin plate worker, Marple Bridge
Clayton John & Co. lime burners, Marple
Cunliffe Thos. shuttle maker, Marple Bridge
Fielding William, overseer, Marple Bridge
Fletcher Francis, book-keeper to the Peak Forest Canal Company, Marple
Frith William, boat builder. Marple
Haigh James, machine maker, Roworth
Hall John, cotton banding maker, Mellor
Hartwell John, bleacher, Roworth
Hyde Thomas, gunsmith, Marple
Kimer Edward, painter, Marple
Mitchell Isaac, millwright,Marple Bridge
Osbaldeston William, cow leech, Marple
Pennington William, baker, Marple
Pickford Randal, hairdresser, Compstall Bridge
Slater & Colbeck, straw hat makers, Compstall Bridge
Tomlinson Isaac, currier & leather seller, Cobden edge, Mellor
Turner Joseph, book-keeper to the Macclesfield Canal Co. Marple
Watters George, clothes dealer, Compstall Bridge
COACHES,
Calling at the Jolly Sailor, MARPLE.
To MANCH ESTER, a, Coach (from New Mills), every morning (Friday excepted) at eight
To NEW MILLS, a Coach (from Manchester),every evening (Friday excepted) at six - and a Coach (from Stockport), every Friday evening at the same hour.
To STOCKPORT, a Coach (from New Mills), every Friday morning at nine.
CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY.
The nearest station to Mellor is that at Stockport, 7 miles distant, on the Manchester and Birmingham Line. From Stockport trains start tor Manchester every hour. From the latter town passengers may be conveyed to almost every part of England.
Particulars of all the Railway lines are furnished by the Railway Tables.
CARRIERS.
To MANCHESTER, John Hall, from Mellor, every Tuesday and Friday, and. Henry Kelsall, every Tuesday.
To STOCKPORT, John Handford and Henry Kelsall, from Marple, every Tuesday and Friday.


NEW MILLS, DISLEY AND NEIGHBOURHOODS.
Mew MILLS is an extensive hamlet in the parish of Glossop, in the hundred of High Peak ; 14 miles s.e. from Manchester, 6 n.w. from Chapel-en-le-Frith, and 8 s.e. from Stockport; pleasantly situated on the confines of Derbyshire and Cheshire. This is a place of modern date, having within a comparatively few years risen to importance in the manufacturing district - cotton spinning being carried on here to a considerable extent, affording employment to numerous persons. The factories are in a great measure hid from public view in passing through the village, being built at the foot of the stream, under high towering rocks. Good house coal, as well as other kinds for the purposes of machinery, is obtained in the vicinity. The village is built chiefly upon a stone quarry, but the soil in many parts is fertile, producing good crops of wheat and potatoes.
The places of worship are a district church, erected some few years since; and chapels for independents, primitive Methodists, and those of the old connexion. The church, dedicated to Saint George, is a handsome stone edifice, in the Gothic style; the cost of its erection amounted to about £3,500, of which sum £2,500 were granted by the parliamentary commissioners; and the ground for its site was given by Lord George Cavendish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Glossop. A charity school, for the gratuitous instruction of nine poor children, is in the hamlet of Whittle; and there is an allotment of land for the support of another school. New Mills was originally known as Bowden-Middle-Call, and comprised seven hamlets: about a century ago it was subdivided - three of the hamlets were attached to Hayfield, and the other four, Beard, Olerset, Whittle, and Thornsett, were formed into a township. A new mill was then erected for the use of the inhabitants, upon the river Kinder; and the name of New Mills was, in consequence, conferred on the four before-mentioned hamlets. Fairs, for cattle, are held May 11th and October 22nd. - In 1831 the population of the hamlets comprised in New Mills was 3,538, and, in 1841, 3,591.
Disley, or Distley, anciently spelt Dystelegh-Stanlegh, is a village and chapelry in the hundred of Macclesfield and parish of Stockport (Cheshire), about six miles s.e. of the latter town. In the time of Edward I Disley was held by Jordan de Dystelegh, and a hamlet, on the north side, by Grym de Stanlegh: hence the compound modern appellation of Disley-Stanley. The situation of the village is very pleasant, on the immediate borders of Derbyshire, upon the high road to Sheffield. Several cotton spinning and printing works are in the neighbourhood. St. Mary’s chapel here was rebuilt in 1558; it consists of a nave and chancel, with a tower of stone, containing a ring of six bells; the chancel and vestry are of brick : in the window of the former are some beautiful specimens of heraldic stained glass. Lyme Hall, the seat of Thomas Legh, Esq., is in this chapelry. Disley chapelry contained, in 1831, 2,037 inhabitants, and, in 1841, 2,191,
POST OFFICE, New Mills, James Fielding, Post Master. - Letters from all parts arrive (by mail gig) every forenoon at eleven, and are despatched every afternoon at three.
POST office, Disley, Charles Atkinson, Post Master. - Letters from all parts arrive (from Stockport) every morning at half-past ten, and are despatched every afternoon at two.
GENTRY AND CLERGY.
Allen Rev. Samuel, New Mills
Barnes Mr. John, Tor top, New Mills
Bennett Mr. Richard, New Mills
Carlile Rev. Irving, Strawberry hill, New Mills
Cheetham Rev. Charles James, New Mills
Collins Rev. John Jos. New Mills
Hancock Mr. William, Disley
Kent Rev. Roger, Disley
Legh Thomas, esq. Lyme hall, Disley
Orford Richard, esq. High lane, near Disley
Orford Thomas, esq. High lane, near Disley
Simon Rev. Samuel, New Mills
Taylor Mr. John, New Mills
Turner Mr. Win. Henry, New Mills
Ward Mr. William, New Mills
ACADEMIES & SCHOOLS.
Armstrong Margaret, New Mills
Emery John Frederick, Disley
Fleming Edward, Mohole, Disley
Garratt John New Mills
Hadfield Robert, New Mills
Higginbottom Elizabeth, New Mills
Swan Elijah, Thornsett
Tomlinson Ralph, New Mills
ATTORNEYS.
Bennett Win. attends at the Crown Inn, New Mills, on Tuesday
Radcliffe Robert, New Mills
BLACKSMITHS.
Lomas John, Disley
Pearson George, New Mills
Waterhouse Charles, New Mills
Whyatt John, New Mills
BLEACHERS.
Hartwell John, Roworth
Thorp Thomas, New Mills
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS.
Bate William, Thornsett
Brown Joseph, New Mills
Burton John, New Mills
Clayton Joseph, Disley
Gregory George, New Mills
Hague Benjamin, New Mills
Heathcote Edward, Thornsett
Marsland John, Disley
Randles William, New Mills
Taylor James, New Mills
Wheatley Edward, New Mills
Wild Thomas, Disley
BUTCHERS.
Broome Andrew, New Mills
Coates John, New Mills
Sidebottom James, New Mills
Stafford Joseph. Disley
Taylor James, Disley
CALICO PRINTERS.
Bennett John (trustee of the late Thos. Oldham) Garrison, New Mills
Ingham James & Co. New Mills
Loyd & Welch, Furness, Disley
Short Lawrence, Wood end, Disley
Strines Printing Company, Strines, near Disley
Yates John & Charles, Rock Mill Print Works, New Mills
CANDLEWICK MAKERS.
Ashton Thomas, Roworth
Gibson Joseph, New Mills
Hibbert Robert, New Mills
Quarmby George. New Mills
Stafford John & Robert, New Mills
Thornely John, New Mills
Ward William, New Mills
Warhurst Samuel, New Mills
COTTON BANDING MANUFRS.
Chadwick James, New Mills
Froggatt Thomas, New Mills
Lyon Joseph, New Mills
Stafford John & Robert, Hague
Wright William, New Mills
COTTON SPINNERS.
Barnes & Co. (and manufacturers) New Mills
Gore Henry, Tor Mill, New Mills
Vickers Archibald, Waterside, Disley
ENGRAVERS TO CALICO PRINTERS.
Ralston James, Disley
Ready & Maugham, New Mills
GROCERS & TEA DEALERS.
(See also Shopkeepers, &c.)
Berry James, New Mills
Bridge Charles, New Mills
Fielding James, New Mills
Sidebottom Jas. (& druggist and sub-distributer of stamps) New Mills
Warren Peter, New Mills
HATTERS.
Armfield John, New Mills
Bates Joseph, Roworth
INNS.
Crown (and commercial) Thomas Jackson, New Mills
Ram’s Head (and posting) Disley
White Lion, John Dixon, Disley
IRONMONGERS.
Mullany John, New Mills
Poyser Elizabeth, New Mills
JOINERS & BUILDERS.
Howard Samuel, Disley
Waterhouse John, New Mills
LINEN DRAPERS.
Adshead Jas. Lea, Hague, New Mills
Arnfield John, New Mills
Bridge Charles, New Mills
Fielding James, New Mills
Gregory George, New Mills
Sidebottom James, New Mills
Warren Peter, New Mills
MILLINERS & DRESS MAKRS.
Beard Mary Ann, New Mills
Bradbury Elizabeth, New Mills
Collier Nancy, New Mills
Heaton Mary, New Mills
Kimer Ann, New Mills
Mason Jane, New Mills
Mason Maria, New Mills
NAIL MAKERS.
Heeley John, New Mills
Hodgetts James, New Mills
PAINTERS & GLAZIERS.
Allsop Joseph, New Mills
Ardern John, Disley
Wright Joseph, New Mills
SADDLERS.
Pearson George, New Mills
Platt John, Disley
Wheatley Edward, New Mills
SHOPKEEPERS & DEALRS IN GROCERIES & SUNDRIES.
Adshead Jas. Lea, Hague, New Mills
Bate Joel, Furness
Beard John, New Mills
Bower James, New Mills
Bower Samuel, Furness
Bridge John, New Mills
Chadwick Thomas, New Mills
Chapman Thomas, Disley
Clayton James, New Mills
Crowther Ann, New Mills
Dunderdale Hannah, Disley
Elliott Edmund, Disley
Forbes Daniel, Disley
Foster Benjamin, Disley
France Robert, Thornsett
Frost Joseph, Furness
Gee John, Disley
Hallam Thomas, Disley
Hibbert Chs. Lwr. Hague, New Mills
Lomas Elizabeth, Disley
Moseley Mary & Rebecca, Thornsett
Norbury George, High lane, Disley
Reece James, Roworth
Rothwell James, New Mills
Shawcross Philip, High lane, Disley
Simister James, Disley
Taylor Hannah, Roworth
Turner Robert Anderton, Thornsett
Warren Peter, New Mills
Wild James, New Mills
Wild Joseph, Furness
Wild Samuel, Thornsett
STONE MASONS.
Brelsford James, Disley
Joule Joseph New Mills
Mason Robert, New Mills
Pott Thomas, New Mills
Stafford George, New Mills
Stafford Thomas, New Mills
SURGEONS.
Dakeyne Bowden Bower, New Mills
Hibbert John, New Mills
Moseley George Micah, Thornsett
Tomlinson John, Disley
TAILORS.
Bradburn Samuel, New Mills
Burton Benjamin, New Mills
Fletcher George, Disley
Handforth Jabez, Lower Hague, New Mills
Hibbert James, New Mills
Higinbottom William, New Mills
Hulton Nathan, New Mills
Johnson Richard, Disley
Longson William, New Mills
Ollerenshaw Jas. (& draper) Disley
Simpson Chadwick, Disley
Woolley Joseph, New Mills
TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.
Bull’s Head, James Etchells, New Mills
Bull’s Head, Jas. Lomas, High lane, Disley
Cock, James Sidebottom, New Mills
Dog& Partridge, Francis Bagshaw, High lane, Disley
George Inn, John Higginbottom, New Mills
Grapes, Joseph Waterhouse, New Mills
Green Man. Joseph Joule, New Mills
Hare &Hounds, Margaret Frost, New Mills
Horse Shoes, Geo. Green, High lane, Disley
Little Mill Inn, Thomas Nield, Roworth
Masons’ Arms, Martha Hibbert, New Mills
Printers’ Arms, Phoebe Bradburn, Thornsett
Red Lion,Wm. Ardern, High lane, Disley
Ring of Bells, William Holdgate, Disley
Robin Hood, John Hyde, High lane, Disley
Royal Oak, Rd. Barnsley, High lane, Disley
Soldier Dick, James Travis, Furness
Swan-with-two-Necks, Jordan Bradbury, Disley
White Hart, Samuel Goddard, New Mills
White Horse, James Metcalfe, Disley
RETAILERS of BEER.
Bate William, Thornsett
Bowden Samuel, New Mills
Lee James, New Mills
Lowe Thomas, New Mills
Norbury Thomas, High lane, Disley
Pott Thomas, Hague, New Mills
Stafford Joseph, Disley
Taverner John, High lane, Disley
Wharmby Thomas, Furness
Whittaker Sarah, Disley
WHEELWRIGHTS.
Broadbent Thos. High lane, Disley
Hampson James, New Mills
Holdgate Thomas, Disley
Newton Thomas, Thornsett
Thomas William, Thornsett
MISCELLANEOUS.
Ardern Mary, confectioner, New Mills
Bower Ralph & Edward, coal merchants, New Mills
Bradbury Charles, iron & brass founder, New Mills
Bradey Charles, bailiff to Thos. Legh, esq. of Lyme park, Disley
Gill Jas. watch & clock maker, New Mills
Ingham James, woollen draper, New Mills
Jackson Thomas, auctioneer, New Mills
Lloyd Charles, hair dresser, New Mills
Lomas George, registrar of births. & deaths for the Hayfield district, Disley
M'Rea Geo. tin-plate worker, New Mills
Marsh George, rag dealer, New Mills
Marsland John, parish clerk, Disley
Mason Henry, machine broker, New Mills
Pearson John and Stephen, coach proprietors, New Mills
Shallcross John,clog & patten maker, New Mills
Stamp Office, New Mills - James Sidebotham, sub-distributer
Taylor John, land surveyor, Ollersett
Turner George, cooper, New Mills
Union Workhouse, New Mills - John Slater, governor, Eliz. Slater, matron
Waterhouse Jos. parish clerk, New Mills
Worrall Jas. road surveyor, High la, Disley
Wright Joseph, plumber, &c. New Mills
COACHES.
To MANCHESTER, a Coach, from the Crown Inn, New Mills, every morning (Friday excepted) at eight, goes through Marple and Stockport ; and coaches to and from Manchester, Nottingham and Sheffield, pass through Disley daily (Sunday excepted).
To STOCKPORT, a Coach, from the Crown Inn, New Mills, every Friday morning at eight; goes through Marple
CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY,
The nearest Railway Station is at Stockport, eight miles distant. Trains from that town to Manchester start every hour; from Manchester passengers may be conveyed to almost any part of England.
Particulars of the various Railways are furnished by the Railway Tables.
CARRIERS.
To MANCHESTER, John Barber, from his house, Hayfield, passes through New Mills, Every Tuesday


Button image Return to Trade Directory List Button image Return to Local History Articles Button image Return to the home page




Page last updated: 8 May 2017.