Glossop Heritage Trust

Bagshaw's Directory of Derbyshire 1846
Entries for the area of the Ancient Parish of Glossop.



GLOSSOP.

Glossop parish forms the north-east extremity of Derbyshire; the river Etherow separating it from Cheshire on the north and north-west, and has its rise in the Alpine ridges at the north-east extremity of the county, which is also the source of the river Mersey. The river Derwent has its rise at the north-east extremity also, where for some distance it is called the Wrongsley river, and separates this county and parish from Yorkshire, after which, entering the parish of Derwent, it takes that name; the water from the east side of Kinderscout flowing to it. The river Goyt, which rises from Axe Edge, near Buxton, bounds the south-west side of the parish; and near Marple bridge the Etherow has its confluence with the Goyt, and flows to Stockport The parish is about 16 miles in length, and averages upwards of 5 miles in breadth, and is intersected by the Sheffield and Manchester railway. It is one of the most romantic parishes in the county, particularly the wild mountainous district on its eastern side, of which a considerable portion is moorland. Its western side is a highly flourishing district, and by far the most important seat of the cotton manufacture in the county.

This extensive parish comprises the hamlets or townships of Glossop, Chinley, Bugsworth and Brownside, Chisworth, Chunal, Dinting, Hadfield, Hayfleld, Ludworth, Mellor, Hayfield and Simmondley and Whitfield; besides many other populous hamlets and villages. Hayfield, Mellor, and New Mills are chapelries, and a district church has lately been erected at Little Town, in Whitfield hamlet. The parish is returned as containing 49,960 acres of land, mostly pasture, except the east side, which is chiefly moorland; it abounds in clay, stone, slate, coal, and valuable waterfalls, which have for ages coursed their way through the deep dells, their solitude being but occasionally broken by the mountain shepherd; till the ingenious and enterprising capitalists perceived that wealth flowed from the mountain rills, which speedily caused the solitude to be peopled with a teeming population, engaged in the busy scenes of commercial enterprise. The population amounts to 22,898 souls; rateable value, £20,209; population in 1801, 8,873; in 1811, 10,797; in 1821, 13,766; and in 1831, 18,080; so that it appears, since 1801 to the present year, the population will have increased nearly three times over. Pilkington dates the rise of manufactures here to the year 1784, in which year the first cotton mill was erected. The large cotton factories and other extensive establishments will be noticed in the localities in which they are respectively situated. Before the introduction of the cotton manufacture, that of woollen had made considerable progress; and we find there were no less than seven factories and four fulling mills; only two very small woollen establishments remain, but the cotton factories are increasing and enlarging on all sides.

The manor of Glossop, which extends over Glossop and its seven hamlets of Glossop dale, viz., Charlesworth, Chunal, Dinting, Padfield, Simmondley and Whitfield, and Ludworth and Chisworth, belonged, as parcel of Logendale or Longdendale, to the crown, at Domesday survey. King Henry I. granted it, as a part of a still larger district of his domain of the Peak, to William Peverel, on the attainder of whose son it reverted to the crown. King Henry II. gave the manor of Glossop, with the church and its other appurtenances, in the year 1157, to the abbey of Basingwerk. King Henry VIII. gave this manor, in 1587, to George Earl of Shrewsbury. It now belongs to the Duke of Norfolk, as descended from one of the coheiresses of Gilbert Earl of Shrewsbury, who died 1610. This estate had been settled on a younger branch of the Howard family, and belonged to the late duke before his accession to the title.

Glossop township and market town, 9½ miles N. from Chapel-en-le-Frith, 14 miles E. from Manchester, 28 miles N.W. b. N. from Sheffield, and 60 miles N.N.W. from Derby, consists of Glossop, Howard Town, and Mill Town; situated in a beautifully romantic dale, surrounded by lofty hills. The old town is irregularly built, but many improvements have taken place within the last few years, by forming new roads and street, &c. Mill Town connects itself with Howard Town on the Sheffield road leading to Glossop, or Old Town, in contradistinction to New Town, or Howard Town, which forms the great focus of improvements, and is ¾ mile W. from Glossop. The township contains 4,816 acres of land, 796 houses, and 3,548 inhabitants, of whom 1,772 are males, and 1,776 females. Population in 1821, 1,351; is 1831, 2,012. The different hamlets or constablewicks in the manor of Glossop keep their poor conjointly and roads separately. The rateable land for the manor of Glossop, as stated in the parish books, is 20,807a. 12p, of which 19,642a. 1r. 9p. belongs to the Duke of Norfolk, the lord of the manor, and 1,164a. 3r. 3p. to other individuals. About 8,000 acres are moor land. The land is mostly pasture, and the farms generally small, let by the Duke on leases for fourteen years, at an average rental of about 15s. per acre. The land let for building purposes is on leases for a period of 99 years. A considerable portion of the Land in Glossop Dale is let as accommodation land to the tradesmen — His Grace being in every respect desirous to accommodate, improve, and encourage his tenantry, and to make Glossop a principal seat of the cotton manufacture. The direct line of railway communication with Liverpool, and the probability of that communication speedily extending between the eastern and western seas, in conjunction with its local advantages, and the low rental of land, render every prospect of its being able to compete with the great emporium of the cotton trade, or with any other of the towns in Lancashire or Cheshire.

The Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a vicarage valued in the king's books at £12 18s. 9d., now £300. It is situate at Glossop (Old), and has been augmented with £400 parliamentary grant; the Duke of Norfolk, patron and impropriator; and the Rev, Christopher Howe, incumbent. The church, a neat structure, with nave, chancel, side aisles, tower and spire, with six bells, was rebuilt, except the tower, and spire, in 1831, and enlarged by the addition of two galleries, at the cost of £2,000, by which 800 sittings were obtained, of which 206 are free and unappropriated. The incorporated society for the enlargement of churches and chapels, having granted £200 towards the expense, and the remainder was raised by subscription. The Duke, as impropriator, repaired the chancel, in which is a handsome monument for George Hadfield, Esq., of Mottram Old Hall, Cheshire, who died September 28th, 1881, aged 59. In the churchyard is a very ancient yew tree, and two sun dials. The Vicarage is a small house S.E. of the church. The tithe has not been commuted. The Duke does not collect any large tithe, and the small is paid to the vicar. In the village in an ancient cross. The feast is held about the middle of September, Glossop Hail, an ancient house, is the occasional residence of Michael Ellison, Esq, his grace's agent.

Howard Town, or New Glossop, ¾ mile W, from Glossop, forms the centre of the largest portion of the inhabitants of the township, and a focus for most of the other townships. It is sometimes called Glossop Dale, from its being situated in a fine valley, surrounded by bold mountains and romantic scenery, and presents one of the busiest scenes in the cotton trade that can well be conceived. Great improvements, by erecting new factories and the enlargement of old ones, have within a few years been made, and still greater are projected; so that prosperity seems for a long period promised the inhabitants. A market has been established under the powers of an act of parliament passed in the 7th year of the reign of Queen Victoria, by the lord of the manor, which was opened 19th July, 1848. The market, held on Saturday, progresses very well, and presents an animated appearance in the evening. A fair for cattle and merchandise is held on the 6th of May. A handsome Town-hall and Market-house have been erected in the Italian style, of which the first stone was laid 28th June, 1838, the coronation of Queen Victoria, and opened as above stated. A lock-up prison has been erected in connexion with the above, and at the west end an office tor the Duke's agent is to be erected, which, when complete, will present a noble range of building. Behind the Town-hall is a covered Market-house, with 28 shops for butchers, greengrocers, and other trades. The tower which crowns the Town-hall is provided with an excellent clock by Lomas, of Sheffield ; the whole enclosed by a low wall and palisading. The entire cost will have exceeded £10,000; executed under the superintendence of Messrs. Weightman and Hadfield, architects, Sheffield. The town is well and neatly built of stone, and the shops in general respectable; so that the place presents a thriving and handsome appearance.

The Roman Catholic Chapel, situated on an eminence overlooking the old village of Glossop, is a handsome structure of the Tuscan style. It was erected in 1836 by the late Duke of Norfolk, from a design by and under the direction of Messrs. Weightman and Hadfield, at a cost of £3,000. In the interior is a beautiful altar, the work of Mr George Eadon, of Sheffield ; an organ by Bishop, and an ancient picture of the crucifixion, a copy from the celebrated original at Antwerp. The chapel, together with the Royle house, the chaplain's residence, commands a beautiful prospect of the surrounding hills, forms a pleasing contrast with their romantic wildness, and reflects much credit on the taste as well as the generosity of the noble founder. In connexion with the above are two schools for boys and girls, each calculated to hold about 100; that for the girls was erected at the expense of Miss C. Ellison. The Rev. Theodore Fauvel is the priest. The Methodists have a handsome stone chapel at Howard Town, erected in 1848, at a cost of £600; and also one at Glossop, built in 1813, and enlarged in 1830; with a day school established in 1841, attended by about 120 boys and girls. There are Sunday schools in connexion with all the places of worship. The Association Methodists have a chapel in Hall street, between Glossop and Mill Town, built in 1836, and improved in 1845; cost £650, and will seat about 300.

Savings Bank, held in the Town Hall, was established 3rd April, 1844, under the patronage of his Grace the Duke of Norfolk. The balance owing to depositors on the 20th of November in that year amounted to £4,259 12s. 2d, of which sum 156 depositors had £2,978 11s. 3d.; 6 charitable institutions £249 13s. 11d., and 15 friendly societies £1,031 7s. The bank is open every Monday from eleven to one o'clock. Mr John des Jardins is secretary and actuary.

A Court of Requests, extending to debts of £15, of which the jurisdiction extends through the town and manor of Glossop, including the township and places of Glossop, Rose Green, Howard Town, Hadfield, Woolley Bridge, Brookfield, Padfield, Longdendale, Waterside, Whitfield, Littlemoor, Free Town, Green Vale, Wren nest, Charlestown, Chunal, Simmondley, Charlesworth, Gamesley, Dinting, Dinting Vale, Chisworth, Ludworth, Marple Bridge, and Compstal road, and the following townships and places in the parish of Glossop—viz. Longhurst Lane, Mellor, Mellor Moor and New Mills, Beard, Olersett, Thornsett, Whitle, Hayfield, Little Hayfield, Great Hamlet, Phoside, Kinder, and Rowarth. Parties liable to be sued in the court, are persons residing, trading, or dealing within the jurisdiction. Judge, Joseph St John Yates, Esq., barrister-at-law; clerk, Mr Edward William Thompson, solicitor, Mill Town. The jurisdiction of this court will probably be extended under the late act for the more easy and speedy recovery of small debts, to other places, and to debts of £20.

Gas Works were established under an Act of Parliament obtained during the session of 1845, the company to have a capital of £6,000, in shares of £10 each. The works are erecting at Howard Town; Mr William Wake of Sheffield is their clerk, and Mr James Ritchie, engineer; Mr George Tomlinson, manager. Conducted by a committee of six shareholders.

Petty Sessions are held in the town hall every fourth Thursday. Mr Edward William Thompson is clerk to the magistrates, and Mr William Bury Clayton, chief constable for the Glossop division of the High Peak Hundred, and superintendent of the lock-up prison. The other townships have each an assistant constable, chosen annually.
Railway.—The Sheffield and Manchester railway enters Derbyshire from Sheffield, from a tunnel three miles in length, about five miles N.E. b. N. from Glossop, and crosses the extreme north verge of the county, and of this parish, crossing the Etherow at Broadbottom, near Charlesworth, by a viaduct of three very large arches; about three miles S.W. b. W. from Glossop, it enters Cheshire; it crosses the Dinting Vale, about one mile W. from Howard Town, by a lofty viaduct of sixteen arches, constructed of timber and stone. Near the viaduct, and adjoining the road to Charlesworth, is Dinting railway station, one mile W. from Howard Town, and twelve miles from Manchester. From this point, a branch railway runs to Howard Town, where there is a convenient stone station, with warehouses and coal wharfs, which are supplied from Duckenfield and Dunkirk collieries.
Reservoir Company.—This company was formed in 1887, when a capital of upwards of £6,000 was subscribed for the forming reservoirs to supply, in dry seasons, mills, extending from Glossop to the river Tame, at Stockport, Only one reservoir has been constructed; it is situated between the hills, one mile S.E. from Glossop. Mr John des Jardins is clerk to the commissioners.

Trade.—Glossop has for many years had its full share of the spirit and extension of the cotton spinning and manufacture, there being in the manor of Glossop thirty-two establishments for spinning, doubling, and weaving of cotton, employing a steam and water power of upwards of 2,000 horses. There are extensive print-works in Dinting Vale, and others just within the county of Chester; besides which there are at New Mills, Mellor, and the district not within the manor of Glossop, about thirty different concerns for cotton spinning and manufacturing, with four extensive calico print-works, having an aggregate power of steam and water equal to about 800 horses, with every appearance of a rapid extension. A reference to the Directories of the districts will show the names of the parties and the situations of each. There are also three extensive paper, and two small woollen manufactures. The twist, or goods, are generally made for the Manchester market, which the proprietors regularly attend on Tuesday, where many of them have warehouses.

Charlesworth, a hamlet in Glossop township, and a considerable flourishing village, on the road to Marple Bridge, three miles S.W. from Glossop, formerly had a market and fair granted, in 1828, to the abbot of Basingwerk. It contains 1,450 acres of land, 269 houses, and 1,732 inhabitants, of whom 937 were males and 795 females; of this population, 105 were labourers, with their families, employed on the Sheffield and Manchester railway. The Independents have a chapel, rebuilt about sixty years ago, and enlarged in 1827, and a schoolroom, built in 1823. The Particular Baptists' chapel was built in 1835. The Methodists have a chapel and a day-school, and the Primitive Methodists a chapel, built in 1843, with a day-school in connexion with it. Sunday schools are attached to all the places of worship. There is a machine manufactory and brass foundry, with a cotton-band manufactory, besides other factories at the Coombs, Kinder Brook, and at Kinder Lee. Gamesly Upper and Lower, consists of a few farmers, half a mile N.W. from Charlesworth, extending to the Etherow, near which is Melandra Castle, a Roman camp. The Independents have had a congregation here from a very early period; and in 1716, Mr John Bennett left the interest of £20 for the benefit of the minister.

Chisworth, a hamlet and scattered village, four miles S.W. from Glossop, and in that manor, but forms a constablewick with Ludworth, contains 844 acres of land. The modern and busiest part is situated on the Marple Bridge road. Here is the Hole House mill for cotton spinning, a candle wick manufactory, and a colliery. A Methodist chapel was built in 1831. The Coombs, one mile S.W., consists of three farm houses. Moorside, half a mile N.W., and Sanderlane, half a mile N.W, from the Methodist chapel. It contains 104 houses and 532 inhabitants, of whom 302 were males and 230 females. In the year 1360, this manor was conveyed by Richard Foljambe and Robert de Holt to the abbey at Basingwerk.

Chunal, a hamlet and small ancient romantic village in the manor of Glossop, on the road to Hayfield, two miles S. from Glossop, contains 885 acres of land, 21 houses, and 111 inhabitants, of whom 59 were males end 62 females. It consists of a few farms and one public house. The benevolent Joseph Haigh was born here, (see charities.) Gnat Hole, half a mile N., is a woollen manufactory, and a little nearer Glossop is the paper manufactory of Messrs Kershaw & Co.

Dinting, a hamlet and small scattered village, has 586 acres of land, is usually called Higher and Lower Dinting, and is situated near the Glossop railway branch, one mile W. from Glossop, on a fine eminence, which commands a rich view of the vale and the surrounding district. The principal part of the inhabitants are at Dinting Vale, a small village which connects itself with Green Vale at the Junction Inn. On entering this vale, the viaduct of sixteen arches, constructed of wood and stone, which crosses the valley and turnpike road, strikes the beholder with astonishment at the daring of the present generation. In the vale is Mr S. Oliver's writing paper manufactory, who also has a mill at Hollingworth, in Cheshire, for the manufacture of brown, marble, and glazed papers; also, in the vale, are the extensive calico print-works of Messrs Edmund Potter and Co, who, about six years ago, established a school, now attended by about sixty children. In connexion with the school they have also a reading-room for the workmen, which is open at noon, and every evening. Dinting or Glossop railway station, twelve miles from Manchester, is at a short distance from the viaduct, and near the road leading to Charlesworth; it is a convenient stone building. Messrs William Jackson and Sons have an office for tho reception and transit of goods by railway to all parts.

Hadfield, a township and ancient village, two miles W.N.W. from Glossop, bounded on the north by the Etherow, contains 357 acres of land, 282 houses, and 1,499 inhabitants, of whom 735 were males and 764 females. The Sheffield and Manchester railway crosses the township a little south of the village. George Woodhead, Esq., of Mottram Old Hall, is an owner. There are no mills in the village, but a little to the west is Brookfield mill, with several rows of buildings. Woolley Bridge, a bridge over the Etherow, about one mile W. b. S. from Hadfield, at the junction of three roads, connecting Manchester, Stockport, and Yorkshire, with Glossop Dale. Here is an extensive factory, and at a short distance on the Cheshire side, is a calico print-work. At Hadfield Lodge is a factory, and one in Padfield. Waterside, a district and small village on a small brook near the Etherow, partly in Hadfield and partly in Padfield constablewicks. Here the Messrs Sidebottoms have an extensive factory, with a power of 220 horses, (steam and water,) and on the Chester side two other factories, having 115 horses' power. Some good stone cottages have been erected here by Mr William Bradbury, and the inhabitants are chiefly employed at the factories. A Primitive Methodist chapel was erected here in 1845.

Ludworth, a hamlet and small scattered village, which, with Chisworth, forms a township in Glossop parish, with which they keep their poor conjointly, and roads separate, five miles S.W. from Glossop. The constablewick contains 1,701 acres of land, 303 houses, and 1,470 inhabitants, of whom 720 were males and 750 females. Rateable value £3,140. Population, in 1801, 966; in 1831, 1,734. Compstall Bridge is a considerable village on the Etherow, over which is a bridge, five miles S.W. from Dinting railway station, five miles E. from Stockport, and twelve from Manchester. Here, on the Cheshire side. is the extensive calico printing establishment of Messrs George Andrews and Son, who employ nearly 2,000 persons. Compstall Road, leading to the bridge, is a populous district on the Derbyshire side. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, erected in 1835, also a day school, where about fifty boys and girls attend. Here, also, a lock-up prison was erected for Ludworth and Chisworth in 1830. Marple Bridge is a considerable village on the Etherow, three-quarters of a mile S. from Compstall road, in a very pleasant situation, and contains some good shops and inns. The Independents have a neat chapel, erected about sixty years ago, but the religious interest connected with it is of very early date, having its origin, no doubt, on the passing of the Act of Uniformity. Two old buildings were occupied by them previous to the present chapel. The Rev. Robert Kirkus is the pastor, who entered on his ministry in April, 1838, since which the whole premises have been greatly improved and enlarged, and new schools erected. The late Moses Hadfield, Esq., of Mottram, a zealous friend to the cause, bequeathed by his will, in the year 1844, the sum of £300, as an endowment on the chapel.

Padfield, a hamlet and village, pleasantly situated, overlooking the river Etherow, 1½ miles N.W. from Glossop, contains 643 acres of land, 284 houses, and 1,656 inhabitants, of whom 815 were males, and 841 females. The Sheffield and Manchester Railway crosses the village. The Methodists have a chapel erected in 1828, and the Independents one erected the same year, with Sunday schools. Here are three factories. A few years ago, a man getting stones dug up a number of Roman coins in a good state of preservation.

Simmondley, a hamlet and small ancient irregular built village, occupied by small farmers, on a declivity, 2 miles S.W, from Glossop; contains 989 acres of land. 111 houses, and 592 inhabitants, of whom 306 were males, and 286 females. The Hall, a very ancient house, is the residence of Mrs. Sarah Taylor. Lees Hall, an ancient mansion on a fine eminence 1½ mile S.W, from Glossop, is the seat and property of Joseph Hadfield, Esq., whose family have for a long period resided here. In 1844, the Independents erected by subscription a handsome school. The inhabitants in this village connect themselves with Green Vale near the Junction inn, near which is Turnlee, Bridgefield, and Primrose Mills.

Whitfield, a hamlet and pleasant village, 1 mile S. from Glossop; forms a populous district enclosed under an act passed in 1810, and contains 1577 acres of land, 539 houses, and 3044 inhabitants, of whom 1496 were males, and 1548 females; in 1831 the population was 1734. The land is mostly freehold. The principal villages are Charlestown, Green
Vale and Littlemoor. Green Vale connects itself with Howard Town on the road leading to Woolleybridge. Littlemoor joins Howard Town, near the Market place on the eastern side, and nearer to Whitfield is Charlestown. A handsome district church to be dedicated to St. James, is now erecting at Littletown, in the early English style, with nave, chancel, side aisles, and transepts, a tower and spire 114 feet high, from designs by E. H. Shellard, Esq., of Manchester; the interior including the chancel, 82 feet 7 inches by 50 feet 8 inches: it will contain 1000 sittings, of which one-half are free, having carved stall ends. The gallery at the west end is for an organ and school children. The principal or west entrance has clustered pillars, arches with carved heads, above which is a colonnade of pillars and arches, finished with an oriel window. It has also a north door; the approaches to the galleries is by a geometrical stone staircase in the tower. The east end gables are surmounted with octagon turrets and carved finials, it is lighted by a triple window, and the other parts by double narrow windows. The tower is mounted with pinnacles, and has a bell 450lbs. weight and the spire with lucarnes, carved canopies and finial. The estimated cost, £3,500, of which sum £1,000, was raised by subscription, and £2,500 by grants from various societies.
The manor of Whitfield was conveyed in £1330, by Thomas le Bagged to John Foljambe; it has long been held with the manor of Glossop.
The Wren Nest factory at Green Vale was erected in 1816, and is now under considerable enlargement. At Turnlee in Littlemore, Messrs. S. Kershaw & Co. have three extensive factories, and one at Chunall. Shepley factory is in Green lane. Cross cliffe factory is at Whitfield. The Methodists have a chapel at Whitfield. The Primitive Methodists have one at Green Vale, erected in 1885, in which a day school of about 70 children is kept. The Independents have a large handsome chapel, built in 1811, in which galleries were erected in 1832, at a cost of £300; it was enlarged in 1845, at a cost of £1,000, and contains sittings for 1,000 persons; the Rev. Thomas Atkin, pastor, Sunday schools are connected with the various chapels. In connection with the Independent chapel at Little Moor, is a day school conducted on the British School system of education; 120 boys and girls attend. For Glossop and Whitfield schools, see charities.

Charities.—Joseph Haigh or Hague, Esq., by indentures of lease and release dated 10th and 11th January, 1779, conveyed to John Hague and eight others, a building which he had lately erected on a plot of land at Whitfield, for a school, and for the residence of a schoolmaster for the instruction of poor children within the parish of Glossop; and also a messuage at Low Loughton, in Bowden Middlecale, in the parish of Glossop, with several fields containing in the whole 7a. 2r. 9p. Cheshire measure, upon trust that they should in the first place, pay all rates and taxes, and should pay the clear rents to the schoolmaster, who should be appointed and reside at the school to instruct all the children within the said parish, not being under four years of age, in reading, writing, and arithmetic and the church catechism. By a memorandum indorsed on the indenture, and signed by Mr Haigh, it is stated that on further consideration, he directed the master should be at liberty to receive the following payments,—for reading, 1d. A week; writing, 2d.; and arithmetic 3d. On the 28th May, 1724, John Harrison, the survivor of the original trustees, conveyed the premises to John White, and seven others, subject to the alteration with regard to the price paid by children as above. The school is open to all the parish on the terms proposed; about 120 attend. The master occupies a dwelling house with a garden adjoining, and the school room. The other premises consist of a dwelling house now let in two tenements, and about 17a. of land, statute measure, let for £32 per annum. The schoolmaster also receives £3 14s. 6d. per annum, as the dividends arising on £124 4s. 0d., three per cent, consols, being the produce of a legacy of £100 given by the will of the said Joseph Haigh, He also receives the sum of £1 5s. per annum, as the interest of one moiety of £50 given by Mary Doxon.
The above Joseph Haigh, Esq., who died in March, 1786, by will dated 21st November, 1782, gave to his executors, Thomas Everatt and three others, £1,000 upon trust, that the interest thereof should be annually laid out in clothing 12 poor men and 12 poor women in
Glossop dale for ever. In 1845, 14 poor men and 16 poor women received a full dress each. £100 upon trust, that the interest should be paid to the schoolmaster at Whitfield; and £100 upon trust, the interest to be applied as follows,—one guinea to be paid the vicar of Glossop, for preaching a sermon annually on the 26th of August, and 5s. for the clerk, and the remainder towards repairing and keeping clean his vault at Glossop. He also gave to the trustees of the school at Hayfield, £105, the interest to be applied towards the education of 10 poor children, out of that chapelry, for ever. The above sums amounting to £1,627 6s. 4d. were laid out in the purchase of stock in the three per cent, consols, which now stands in the name of Thomas Wagstaff, of Highgate. Of the dividends amounting to £48 16s. 2d., £37 5s.4d. is paid to the Glossop dale clothing fund; £3 14s. 6d. to Whitfield school: £3 18s. 2d. to Hayfield school; £1 1s. to the vicar of Glossop ; 5s. to the clerk; and £2 12s. 2d. per annum forms a fund for the repairs of the testator's vault whenever it shall be required. A balance of £85 11s. 11d. applicable to this purpose, was in the hands of Mr Whitfield at the time of our enquiry.
Glossop School, an ancient school-house containing two rooms which has lately been enlarged for a Sunday school, the repairs of which have usually been paid out of the churchwardens' account, is endowed with £37 10s., placed out at interest on a turnpike security at 5 per cent. The Duke of Norfolk, who has a considerable estate in this parish, annually makes a voluntary donation for the support of the school, and is supposed to have the appointment of the master. No children are instructed free.
Joseph Haigh, Esq. In addition to the stock already mentioned, there is a sum of £248 8s. 10d. three per cent consolidated annuities, standing in the name of John Bowman and two others. It is observed that by a codicil annexed to his will, dated 7th October, 1783, he gave to the vicar of Glossop, £80 in trust, to be distributed at his discretion amongst the poor and needy families in "the eight townships," intending probably the eight hamlets which comprise the township of Glossop. He also gave the sum of £80 to be in like manner disposed of in the chapelry of Hayfield; and there is a sum of £124 4s. 5d. three per cent, consolidated bank annuities, now standing in the name of Robert Raine and two others, for the poor of that chapelry. Whether the interest on these legacies had been permitted to accumulate to purchase the above stock, or they were separate gifts, does not appear. £7 9s. the dividend of the stock in the name of John Bowman, is laid out in the purchase of linen cloth, and distributed in the winter.
William Garlick by will dated 25th July, 1686, gave to the poor of the township of Glossop, the sum of £5 yearly for ever, to he paid out of two closes called the Wash Meadows and the house standing thereupon, with one dole in another close called the Oak Rydeing, being in or near Bowden Head, in the parish of Chapel-en-le-Frith, and he directed that the churchwardens and overseers of the township of Glossop, and their successors, should receive the yearly sum, and distribute the same to the poor of the township with all the hamlets, on the 20th day of February; he also gave to the said poor, the sum of £80 to be bestowed in land for the use of the said poor, together with £20 secured by the bonds of Nicholas Gray, deceased. By an indenture dated 5th of December, 1689, it appears the premises at Bowden Head had been given up to the overseers and churchwardens of Glossop, but on what terms does not appear, but probably, as there is no account in what manner the legacy of £100 was disposed of; that estate was given up in consideration of the legacy. The estate contains 11a. 2r. 24p. let for £20 a year which is distributed on St Thomas' day to the poor.
Martha Wagstaffe by will, in 1689, gave to the poor of Glossop a rent charge of £2 per annum, vested in the churchwardens and overseers. The rent charge is paid from two fields in Holme, in the parish of Almondbury, in Yorkshire, the property of William Leach, of Ramsden near Holmfirth.
John Wagstaffe the elder, by indenture, 1718, for a nominal consideration, and for a provision for the poor of the township of Glossop, with the hamlets, granted to William Garlick and others, the churchwardens and overseers of Glossop, and their successors, a yearly rent charge of £3 clear of all taxes, issuing out of a messuage and lands in Gladwick, in the parish of Oldham, and payable yearly on the feast of St Martin, upon trust, to dispose of the same yearly amongst the poor residing in the said township and hamlets. George Hadfield, Esq., of Old Hall, Mottram, is the owner of the lands in Gladwick, and pays the rent charge.
Donor unknown. The churchwardens receive the yearly sum of £5 from Mr. John Cheetham, of Gee Cross near Stockport, in respect of 11 acres of land, part of an estate called Warneth, in the county of Chester, which, we are informed, was reserved to the churchwardens on a lease granted to John Hibbert for a term of 2,000 years, dated 1st December, 1695; distributed on St Thomas's day.
John Wagstaffe, junior, by will, in 1735, gave to the poor of Glossop a fee farm rent of £3, then vested in Samuel Wagstaffe. This rent charge is transmitted by the vicar of Mottram, to whom the estate belongs, which is situate in Mottram, Longdendale, in the comity of Chester.
Thomas Hadfield gave by will, in 1743, the sum of £60 to the poor of the parish of Glossop, not receiving parish relief; secured on turnpike security.
Charles Hadfield by his will, in 1795, gave £20 for the same purpose, placed on turnpike security.
John Bennitt by will, dated 29th February, 1716, gave to the poor within the township of Glossop, viz., to all above the Coombe's Brooke £50, to be paid to the churchwardens and overseers; the interest to be given at the same time as William Garlick's, He also gave £20 for the use of Charlesworth chapel, for the interest of the dissenting minister that preached there; and if no dissenting minister there, the said £20 should go in like manner as the above-named £50; he also gave £10 to Tinswell chapel, for the benefit of the dissenting minister there, but if no such minister, then the interest should go to the poor of the township of Glossop. Divine service is still performed at the above chapel, and that £50 is on turnpike security, and distributed on St Thomas's day.
Joseph Bray by will, 1793, gave the sum of £30, to be placed out at interest on sufficient security, the annual interest to be distributed with Garlick's charity, and appointed George Roberts and Henry Bray his executors. The churchwardens and overseers now act as trustees, the amount being vested in turnpike securities.
Sarah Bray by will, 1796, gave to the poor of this township the sum of £10, the interest to be distributed at the same time as her late brother's; this is vested as the above.
Mary Doxon by her will, 1815, bequeathed one-half of the yearly interest to arise in respect of the sum of £50 lent by her on mortgage of the tolls of the Marple and Glossop turnpike-roads, to the master of Whitfield School; and the other half to be divided with Garlick's charity; distributed on St Thomas's day.
Harrison's and other Charities.—It appears from the parliamentary returns of 1786, that Thomas Harrison by will, 1706, gave £10; Moses Hadfield, 1728, £5; Booth Waterhouse, 1734, £10; John Dewsnapp, 1736, £20; John Wagstaffe, 1738, £30; Sarah Carrington, 1738, £5; Charles Wagstaffe, 1738, £10; Henry Booth, 1740, £20; John Harrison, 1746, £10; Nicholas Garlick, 1750, £30; John Fielding, 1755, £10; John Garlick, 1757, £10; Mary Nicholson, 1759, £60; John Dewsnapp, 1772, £20, of which £18 was lost, leaving £2; and making a total of £232, These donations, with some others, are vested in the securities of the tolls of the turnpike road from Chapel-en-le-Frith to Enterclough bridge; and on the same security is £27 lately bequeathed by Mrs Everett; making the total amount £409.— £20 given by Charles Hadfield, and £25 by Mary Doxon, are placed on the security of the tolls of the road leading from Glossop to Marple, and make a total of income and interest to be distributed on St Thomas's day of £55 14s., given in sums not less than 2s.6d, nor exceeding 10s.
William Bagshaw, by will, dated 15th October, 1701, left a rent charge on certain closes lying within the precincts of Wormhill, the sum of 50s, yearly, for ever, to be laid out as follows:—To the poor of Litton, 5s,; to the poor at or near Glossop or Charlesworth, 5s.; to the poor in the chapelry of Wormhill, 5s.; and for the encouragement of serious preaching and prayers, at the discretion of his heirs, £1, 15s. The premises charged into this payment form part of the property of the Rev. William Bagshaw, in Wormhill. Nothing, for many years, had been paid to Glossop and Charlesworth, but Mr Bagshaw seems to have been ignorant of the charge, and, on seeing a copy of the donor's will, promised it should in future be paid. The sum of £1 15s. is paid to the minister of Chinley chapel.
Rev. Francis Gisborne's charity, (see Bradley.) The yearly sum of £5 10s, received by the incumbent, is laid out in the purchase of woollen cloth and flannel, which he distributes amongst the poor of the township.

GLOSSOP POOR-LAW UNION consists of the 10 hamlets and townships which comprise the manor of Glossop, for which 16 guardians are appointed, who meet every Friday fortnight, at 10 o'clock, at the workhouse, a substantial stone building a little N.E. from the church, in Glossop; it was erected in 1834, at a cost of £1,500, to accommodate 100 paupers. The average number of in-door paupers for the year ending March, 1845, was 46¼, the first quarter of the year being 60, and the last 38. The average weekly cost of each, for the year, was 2s, 2½. The average number receiving out-door relief was 296¼, of whom 395 were relieved in the first quarter, and 248 in the last quarter of the year—the total sum expended during the year being £1,790 4s, 11½d. The places are Charlesworth, Chisworth, Chunall, Dinting, Glossop, Hadfield, Ludworth, Padfield, Simmondley, and Whitfield.
Chairman to the Board of Guardians, George Platt, Esq.
Clerk to the Board of Guardians, and Registrar of Births and Deaths, Mr George Bowden.
Master of the Workhouse, and Relieving Officer, Mr James Waterhouse.
Superintendent Registrar, Mr Ebenezer Adamson.
Surgeon, Mr William Howard.

Hayfield, a township, village, and chapelry in the King's Field, 5 miles S. from Glossop, and the same distance N. from Chapel-en-le-Frith, and 18 miles from Manchester, contains 7802 acres of land, 410 houses, and 1,715 inhabitants, of whom 808 were males and 847 females. Rateable value £4,753, of which £996 is for houses. The chapel, which is parochial, is situated in the centre of the village, and is a perpetual curacy, valued in the King's book at £6, now £96; it has been augmented with £600 benefactions, £600 Queen Anne's bounty, and £500 parliamentary grant. The resident freeholders are patrons. Rev. Samuel Wasse, M.A., incumbent, who resides at the parsonage, east of the chapel. The church was rebuilt, except the tower, by the inhabitants, unassisted by any public grant, in 1819, at a cost of £2,000; it is in the modem Gothic style, and has a peal of six bells. The chapelry, until very recently, consisted of Great Hamlet, Phoside, Kinder, Beard, Ollersett, Thornsett, Chinley, Bugsworth, and Brownside; of these, Beard, Ollersett, and Thornsett, now form a new district, with the church at New Mills. In the church is a handsome monument to Joseph Haigh, Esq., with a bust, (by Bacon,) erected at a cost of £420. He was born at Chunall, in 1695 ; he commenced life very poor, and sold a few small articles from a basket, then bought an ass, after which he went to London, and became an opulent merchant. He had ten sons and two daughters, who all died in their minority. After the loss of his children, he adopted a family of the name of Doxon, of Padfield, to whom he gave education and fortunes. He passed the latter part of his life in retirement at Park Hall, in Hayfield, where he died 12th March, 1786, and was buried at Glossop, where the beautiful monument in Hayfield church was originally erected. The monument was taken down during some alterations in Glossop church, and thrown into a lumber room in the lock-up, where it remained for a considerable period; and it appears, neither the exquisite beauty of the workmanship, nor the munificent charities of the individual whose memory it was intended to perpetuate, were sufficient inducements to the inhabitants of Glossop to replace it in its original position. It was, however, rescued from untimely destruction by John White, Esq., of Park Hall, and is now deservedly the pride of Hayfield, and chief ornament in the church. The village school, a good substantial building, was erected in 1830, at a cost of £550, and here are three Sunday schools. A Methodist chapel was erected in 1779, and rebuilt in 1840, at a cost of £400, raised by subscription, aided by a
centenary grant of £150. A Sunday school was built in 1816, which cost £700. The Association Methodists have a neat chapel. The fair, held May 12th, for horses and cattle, is very large. One, held July 23rd, for sheep and cattle, is discontinued. By an ancient custom, Hayfield has a mayor. The late John Hobson, Esq., filled the office thirty years. Joseph Bowden, Esq., was elected to the office in January, 1844, when a grand dinner was given in honour of his inauguration. Park Halt, 1 mile N. from the village, is the seat of John White, Esq., who, with John and Thomas Marriott, and John and Thomas Slack, Esqrs., are the principal owners. Petty sessions are held at the court-house, Hayfield, every fourth Thursday. At Bank Vale, Mr Robert Slack has two extensive paper mills. Clough Mill is a cotton factory; Ned Mill, a cotton cord manufactory; Walk Mill, a woollen manufactory; Wood Mill, the extensive calico print-works of Messrs Taylor and Lucas, who have about 150 horses' power of water and steam. Hayfield enjoys great facilities for manufacturing, being situated on a good main road, 18 miles from Manchester, having plenty of coal and water. The scenery on Bank Vale is beautiful, and presents a striking contrast to the moors N.E. of the village. A mason, who lettered a grave-stone in the churchyard in the year 1759, for Martha Cundy, aged 41, made it 401; a wag wrote underneath “Martha Candy's dead and gone, Her age is just four hundred and one”, after which the mason took his mallet and chisel, and erased the cypher. Great Hamlet consists of the principal portion of Hayfield village, of which ½ mile N. is Little Hayfield, which, together, contained 929 inhabitants. Kinder hamlet contains 130 inhabitants, and consists of some farm and cottage houses, situated in a pleasant vale, running from Hayfield, 1 mile E. Kinder Scout, 3 miles N.E. from Hayfield, is said to be the highest hill is the county, and on which is a military camp. In the population returns for 1841, one soldier is returned for this camp. Phoside, or Foreside, hamlet, contains 656 inhabitants; it forms the south side of Hayfield, with various scattered farms in that direction.
Chinley, Bugsworth, and Brownside, form a joint township in Hayfield chapelry, and contain 3,707 acres of land, of which 98 acres are roads and waste, 215 houses, and 996 inhabitants, of whom 523 were males and 473 females. Population, in 1801, 738; in 1831, 993. Rateable value £2,370. The Duke of Devonshire is lessee of the manor under the crown. Chinley, 2½ miles N. b. W. from Chapel-en-le-Frith, is an extra parochial liberty and small village, which maintains its own roads. It was originally in the King's Field. James I, sold it, with part of Sherwood Forest, for £2,000, to two persons of the name of Badby and Weltden, on condition of paying a chief rent of £12, which is now paid to her Majesty. The tithes for the township were commuted in 1842—the corn for £63, which is paid to John William Wake and James Sorby, Esqrs.; £22 10s. is paid for small tithe, of which one half is paid to the Duke of Norfolk, and the other half to the vicar of Glossop. At Chinley, an Independent chapel was erected by subscription in 1711, at a cost of £115 10s., besides work done gratis. In 1794, a house was erected for the minister, at a cost of £300. The Rev. Ebenezer Glossop is the pastor; and since his induction, £400 has been expended in repairing the chapel. This chapel was erected for a congregation originally under the ministry of the Rev. William Bagshaw, usually called the Apostle of the Peak, who was ejected by the Act of Uniformity from the vicarage, in 1662, where he had preached 10 years, and who afterwards established a congregation at Malcoff, near Ford Hall, 2 miles N. from Chapel-en-le-Frith. Dr Clegg succeeded the Rev. W. Bagshaw, during whose ministry the congregation removed to the present chapel. The principal owners in this township are John Lingard, Thomas Barnes, William Drink water, James Braddock, Godfrey Webster, William Taylor, and Thomas Drinkwater. In 1834, Chinley school, at the New Smithy, was rebuilt, at a cost of £87, towards which a grant of £40 was obtained. At Bridgeholme Green there is a cotton wadding manufactory, near which is a public tea garden.

Bugsworth, a hamlet and joint township, which keeps its own roads, 3 miles W. from Chapel-en-le-Frith. The Peak Forest canal has a wharf here, and a branch canal to Whaley, where the Cromford and High Peak railway terminates; Mr John Potts, agent a railway from Peak Forest brings stone to the two lime-kilns in this township. Here are also two collieries and a cotton factory, A school was erected in 1826, which is also licensed as a dissenting place of worship. The canal wharf is the centre of traffic for the township.

Brownside, a hamlet which keeps its own roads, and joint township with Chinley and Bugsworth, 2 miles N.N.E. from Chapel-en-le-Frith, consists of scattered houses.

Mellor, a township, chapelry, and small village, on the Hayfield and Stockport road, 7 mites S.W. from Glossop, 7 miles E. by S. Stockport, and 3 miles S. W. by S. from Dinting Railway Station; the principal part of the population being at Mellor Moor End. The township contains 2,500 acres of land, of which a considerable portion is moorland; 433 houses, and 2,015 inhabitants — of whom 1,002 were males, and 1,013 females. Population in 1801, 1,670; in 1831, 2,059. Rateable value, £3,565. Thomas Moult, Esq., is lord of the manor, and with John Moult, Peter Arkwright, Jonathan Jowett, and Thomas Fearn, Esqrs., with many others, are freeholders. The chapel, dedicated to St Thomas, is a perpetual curacy, rated at £8, now £136, has been augmented with £400 benefactions, and £600 Queen Anne's bounty. John Thornton, Esq., of Clapham, Surrey, patron. Rev. Matthew Freeman, incumbent. The church, on an eminence north from the main road, will seat about 700 persons, was built in the reign of King Stephen; the chancel was rebuilt by the inhabitants, in 1824, and the other parts restored, in 1829, by a rate, and the ancient pulpit, carved from an oak tree, removed. In 1821, a Sunday school was erected by subscription. The chapelry now contains the townships of Mellor and Ludworth, a portion having been taken to form the district of New Mills. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, erected in 1827, at a cost of £450; and the Association Methodists one, built, 1844, at a cost of £550. A School, near the church, was endowed by Thomas Walklate with £25 per annum, of which £20 is paid to the master.—(See Charities.) About 60 boys and girls attend, and are educated at a small charge. Mellor Hall, a mansion 200 years old, was anciently the seat of the Mellor family, and afterwards of the Radcliffes; it was purchased in 1686, by James Chetham, Esq., and sold by Thomas Chetham, Esq., about 1797, to Mr Ralph Bridge; part of the land has been purchased with Queen Anne's bounty, to augment the living, and the Hall is now the seat and property of Thomas and John Moult, Esqrs. This forms a busy district, having six cotton mills, employing steam and water power equal to about 280 horses, viz.—Bridget, Damstead, Dove Bank, Goyt, and Mill Clough mills. The late Samuel Oldknow, whose untiring exertions in this neighbourhood changed the appearance of the country, designed and erected the mill near the Goyt, in 1792, 2 miles S.W. from Mellor church, with a water power of 120 horses; about 400 persons are employed at it in spinning cotton. It is very pleasantly situated, and is now the property of Peter Arkwright, Esq., and occupied by John Clayton and Co. Jonathan Jowett, Esq., has a colliery here. In the chapel and chapel-yard are recorded several instances of longevity, viz.—Rebecca Higenbotton, died 1758, aged 99; Sarah Cooper, died 1779, aged 97 ; Mary Beard, died 1797, aged 101; Betty Fearnley, died 1799, aged 94. Feast, first Sunday after St James's.
Charities.—Mellor School.—By indenture, 1639, Thomas Bocking, in consideration of £160 paid by Edward Walklate, in discharge of a legacy given by the will of Thomas Walklate, towards the maintenance of a free school at the chapelry of Mellor, and £20 paid by other inhabitants of the chapelry, for the further maintenance of the said school, granted and enfeoffed to Edward Walklate and seven others, and their heirs, several closes of land, situate in Offerton, upon trust, to pay and apply the rents thereof for the erection, maintenance and upholding a free grammar school, at Mellor chapel, for the education of children of that chapelry. The property consists of a farm in Offerton, in the parish of Hope, called Glover's barn, and nine fields, containing 23 acres, with a right of common for sheep on some unenclosed land, let for £25 a year, but was at the time of our inquiry estimated at £30 a year, provided, the house was put in repair. The school, built soon after the foundation of the charity, in the chapel-yard, was rebuilt about 1811. All the children of the chapelry are admitted on the payment of a small sum weekly as fixed by the trustees.
Mary Chatterton, in 1760, gave £12 to the curacy of Mellor, the interest thereof to be annually paid for preaching a sermon on Christmas-day; and she also gave £5, the interest to be given in bread by the minister and churchwardens, on the same day to poor persons. The sum of £17 was laid out many years ago in the purchase of some land which forms part of an estate called Ringstones, the property of the incumbent for the time being. The sum of 5s. is laid out in the purchase of bread, and distributed on Christmas-day.
Rev. Francis Gisborne's charity.—(See Bradley.) The annual sum of £5 10s. received by the incumbent, which is laid out in woollen cloth and distributed to the poor, one-third in the hamlet of Mellor, one-third that of Ludworth and Chisworth, and the remaining third in Whitle and Thornsett.
Rachael Stafford by will bequeathed £30, the yearly interest thereof to be bestowed in cloth towards apparelling the most necessitous. By indenture, 1793, this sum was vested on mortgage upon premises now the property of Ralph Ferns, by whom the annual sum of 30s. is paid to the trustees, which is laid out to the purchase of linen, and distributed amongst the poor of the township of Mellor.

New Mills, an ecclesiastical chapelry and township, which comprises the hamlets of Beard, Ollersett, Thornsett, and Whitle, which extend nearly 4 miles east, north, and south from New Mills, which is a considerable village, near the river Goyt, on the Hayfield and Stockport road, 2½ miles S.W. from Hayfleld, and 9 miles S.E. from Stockport; 43 N.W. from Derby, and 170 from London; and together contain a population of 3,595 souls, and 4890 acres of land; rateable value, £9,429; of which Beard hamlet, extending S. from New Mills, contained 63 houses, and 290 inhabitants; of whom 137 were males, and 153 females. Ollersett hamlet, extending E. from New Mills, 50 houses and 257 inhabitants, of whom 138 were males and 119 females, Thornsett hamlet, extending N.E. from New Mills; 185 houses and 764 inhabitants, of whom 408 were males and 356 females. Whitle hamlet extends N. and N.W. from New Mills, and contains 553 houses and 2,284 inhabitants, of whom 1,137 were males and 1,147 females. The Church, dedicated to St George, is a perpetual curacy, endowed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners with £150 per annum. Vicar of Glossop, patron; Rev. Irving Carlyle, incumbent. The church, a handsome Gothic structure, to the style of Edward III, with nave, chancel, and side aisles, in a commanding situation in the hamlet of Beard, will seat about 1,000 persons, of which upwards of 400 are free; it was erected at a cost of £3,500. Of this sum £2,500 was paid by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and £1,000 raised by subscription, Lord George Henry Cavendish gave land for the site, stone for the building, and £150; George Wm. Newton, Esq., gave £200; Wilbraham Egerton, Esq., £150; John White, Esq., £50. It was consecrated by Bishop Ryder, of Coventry, who had also given £50, July 26th, 1831. A national school was erected in 1845, at a cost of £800, for which William Henry Frederick Cavendish, Esq., gave land for the site and stone for the building; Humphrey Nicholl, Esq., of Broughton, near Manchester, gave £100; with other subscriptions, aided by grants from the Committee of Council for Education, and the National Society. The large tithes were commuted is 1841 for £107 10s., from which the Duke of Norfolk receives £30 ; the remainder is paid to William Henry Cavendish, Esq. Mr Wake, James Sorby, William Calrow, and William Taylor, Esqrs., and the vicar of Glossop, receive the small tithes. The principal owners are William Henry Frederick Cavendish, James Ingham, and John Wood, Esqrs. The soil is various; some small plantations, in different districts, add to the picturesque scenery of this neighbourhood. The Catholic Church of the Annunciation, just completed, is a handsome structure in the decorated style of English architecture, and a perfect revival of an ancient parish church. It consists of nave, side aisles, south porch, sacristy, and tower and spire 110 feet high. The low massive pillars of the nave, with the deep solemn chancel, have a very striking effect The east window is richly decorated with stained glass; the centre light has a beautiful representation of the annunciation, whilst the figures of St John and St Joseph ornament the side lights. These elegant decorations have been executed by Wailes of Newcastle. The altar, font, and tabernacle are richly painted and gilt after the ancient manner. A capacious font of stone stands at the west end of the south aisle, and a beautiful stone image of the Blessed Virgin is placed in a niche over the west door. The cost of the edifice was £4,000, chiefly raised by the unwearied exertions of the Rev. John Joseph Collins, the priest. Messrs. Weightman and Hadfield, of Sheffield, were the architects.
A Methodist chapel was erected in 1810, to which a day and Sunday school was added in 1844; the day school, taught on the Glasgow training system, was opened September 29th, 1845. The Association Methodists have a chapel, erected in 1838, which, with four cottages, cost £700; and the Primitive Methodists have one, built in 1827, at a cost of £500; all of which are stone buildings and have Sunday schools. The New Mills branch of a London circulating library was established in 1845, at Mr Robert Collier's, bookseller, Market-street. Subscribers paying £1 1s. per year, are entitled to order for perusal 10 to 15 volumes of new books annually; those paying 10s. 6d. a year have not the privilege of ordering books, but are entitled to the use of all the books procured for the first class, for whom about 250 volumes are now provided. Gas Works were established a few years ago, near the river Goyt, by act of parliament, and the proprietors are empowered to carry the gas to Hayfield. The works are in Derbyshire, but near Grove Mill, which is Cheshire. Rowarth is a scattered village in Thornsett hamlet, from which it is 1½ mile N., and 4 miles S.W. from Glossop. It is pleasantly situated and, besides some farm-houses, contains Ringstones bleach works, two cotton mills, and two mills not occupied. The Association Methodists have a Sunday school, which is also used as a preaching room. New Mills is altogether a busy district, having four calico print works, of which part are on the Cheshire side of the river Goyt, which divides the counties; 8 cotton spinners and manufacturers, 4 candlewick manufacturers, and 2 dyers' establishments, viz., Grove Mill, Rock Mill, Strine's Works, Torr and Torr top Mills are on the river Goyt; Beard Mill, Garrison-Side Works, London Place, Marsh Mill, and St George's Works, a calico printer's engraving establishment, are on the Kinder brook. The late Mr. John Potts, in 1821, first conceived the idea of adopting the method used by engravers in the Potteries, with a view of producing a more durable and brilliant effect. His experiment was crowned with complete success, and proved the origin of a style of engraving adopted by every calico printer, not only in Great Britain and Ireland, but throughout the whole of Europe and America; previous to which, calico printing was done from wood blocks laid on by hand; it is now performed from engravings on copper rollers, moved by steam or water power, the block being nearly superseded. Mr Potts had a picture gallery, which contained many fine specimens of rare and valuable paintings in oil and water colours, since disposed of. Mr Samuel Ready has succeeded to the engraving establishment, which is carried on with great success. The Kinder brook has its source from the western aide of Kinderscout, and its confluence with the river Goyt near the Torr, at Mellor's Mill.
The original name of New Mills was Bowden-Middle-Cale, situated along the north bank of the Goyt, and reaching from Kinderscout to Mellor. It formerly comprised seven hamlets ; but, about a century ago, it was subdivided; three of the hamlets remaining attached to Hayfield, and the other four formed into a township. Previous to this division, the inhabitants all ground their corn at a common mill in Hayfield; but, upon the division, a new mill was erected upon the Kinder, in the hamlet of Ollersett, and the name New Mills was in consequence conferred on the four hamlets. The village now forms a cluster of factories and houses, which rise one above another, from the bank of the river to the summit of the crags, a height of several hundred feet.

Hayfield Poor Law Union consists of seven townships, having seventeen guardians, who meet every Monday at ten o'clock, at the Workhouse, a substantial stone building erected in 1840 and 1841, at a cost of £2,700, to accommodate 166 inmates. It is situated in the hamlet of Ollersett, on a new road from Hayfield, which passes the church and joins the London road at the Swan inn, Disley. The places comprised in the Union are Beard, Ollersett, Whitle, and Thornsett, for which five guardians are elected; Hayfield, for which four guardians are elected, and Mellor, with four guardians. Disley township, with four guardians, is situated in Cheshire, The union contains a population of 1,611 souls, an area of 24 square miles, and 17,068 acres of land. Rateable value, £27,007, of which £21,342 is the value of land, and £5,665 that of houses. The average cost of in-door paupers per week, for the year 1844, was 2s. 1¾d.; the average number relieved per week being 72 ; the average number of out-door paupers, 382. The total expenditure for the year being £2,260 16s. 7d.
Chairman of the Board of Guardians, John White, Esq.
Clerk and Superintendent Registrar, Mr Ebenezer Adamson.
Master and Matron, John and Elizabeth Slater.
Schoolmistress, Sarah Butler Slater.
Surgeon, Mr Thomas Richard Jackson, New Milts.
Relieving Officer and Registrar, Mr George Looms, Disley.
* According to Mr E. Adamson's tables of annual report, every 20s. called for by the guardians is expended in the following proportions:—Relief in money or in kind, 13s.; repayment of building loan, 1s. 8½d.; salaries of officers, 2s. 5d.; establishment charges, 1s.6d; interest on loan, 1s.0¼d.; registration account, 4¼d.

Charities.—Mary Trickett, by will dated 17th April, 1712, devised all her land in Rushop, in the parish of Chapel-en-le-Frith, to Mary Trickett and two others, and their heirs, the rents, to be employed by them yearly, for ever, for the use of the poor of Bowden Middlecale, for clothing or keeping of poor children to school. The property consists of a house, with a barn and outbuildings, a garden, and three closes, containing in the whole, with homestead, 16a. 3r.12p., situated at Bowden Edge, now let for £28 a year. Previous to May, 1823, it had been let on a long lease for £8 5s. per annum ; and £60 was paid for dilapidation of the buildings, which have been put in a complete state of repair, at an expense of £95, and some improvements are to be made. The rent was formerly paid in equal portions to the overseers of Chinley, Hayfield, and New Mills, and expended in cloth. For the last five or six years (1826) the amount of the rent subject to the repairs has been applied in instructing poor children of the above named places in reading and writing. It seems advisable that some steps should be taken for ascertaining who was the surviving trustee under the will of Mary Trickett, and procuring a conveyance from her heir to new trustees.
Thomas Moult bequeathed 10s. to be paid from his estate, called Whicken, in Chinley, to a schoolmaster or mistress teaching at Chinley school. Mr John Taylor, the owner of Whicken, pays the rent charge to the master.
George Green, of Fourlane Ends, by will, bequeathed 10s. a year to a schoolmaster at Chinley, teaching grammar. This has not, for many years, been paid, on the ground that it is not a grammar school. The date of the will is not known; we are unable to refer thereto.
Nicholas Lingard, as stated on a tablet in the schoolroom, bequeathed 5s. a year to a schoolmaster at Chinley school, to he paid from Estmeats estate, in Chinley, and likewise 5s. charged on the Dakins estate, provided it be freed from the office of overseer of the poor. The master is appointed by the principal inhabitants, and keeps a school in a room long used for that purpose, who receives the above small donations, and one-third of the clear rent of Trickett's charity, already mentioned, and for which last four are taught reading, writing, and accounts.
Thomas Harrison, by will, in 1706, gave to the poor of Chinley £10; also Sarah Carrington, by will, gave to the poor £5. Both sums were vested with the overseers, and, in 1754, were expended towards building a house for paupers belonging the township, and it was agreed, at a vestry meeting, that 13s. 6d. should be paid yearly out of the poor rates as interest for this sum. The interest is distributed to the poor on St Thomas's day.
Bernard Jenkinson, by will, 1786, bequeathed £100 stock, in the four per cent bank annuities, to the churchwardens and overseers of the poor of the parish of Glossop, in trust, to distribute the interest yearly amongst the poor of the hamlets of Brownside and Chinley.
The stock in the old four per cents, at the time of our inquiry, still stood in the name of Bernard Jenkinson. Some steps had been taken towards obtaining the money payable on the reduction of that stock, but it had not been received, in consequence of some difficulty in respect to the probate of the will. We have reason to hope no further delay will take place, and that the money will be reinvested. The dividends were distributed on St Thomas's day, in sums varying from 1s. to 3s.
John Hyde, by will dated 8th September, 1604, gave certain premises to the Merchant Tailors' Company, London, upon trust, amongst other things, to pay £10 yearly to the minister of the gospel at Hayfield, in Derbyshire, keeping a grammar school within the chapel. The sum of £10 is transmitted by the clerk of the said company to the incumbent.
Mary Gaskell charged upon her estate, called Barns' Fold, £3 18s., to be paid to the incumbent, as master of the grammar school. The estate is now the property of John White, Esq., of Park Hall.
John Hadfield left the use of £60 for ever to a licensed master for teaching petties, as well as others more proficient, at the chapel at Hayfleld. Thomas Marriott of Hayfield pays yearly £2 10s. as a rent charge on his estate at Shudehill.
Mary Trickett, (already noticed.) One third of the clear yearly rents is paid to the master of this school.
Haigh's Gift, (already noticed.) The yearly sum of £3 18s. 2d. is paid to the master of this school for the education of ten children.
On account of the income derived from the above donations, a school is taught in an ancient building in Hayfield, called the Grammar Schoolhouse. Fifteen children are taught reading, writing, and accounts, without any charge—four in respect of Trickett's, and eleven of Hague's charity. At the time of our enquiry about sixty attended.
John Haigh, Esq., by will dated 19th February 1781, bequeathed to Dorothy Hague and five others, and their executors, the sum of £100, upon trust, to apply the yearly produce thereof to the schoolmaster of a certain school in Hayfield, called Hayfield School, who should instruct eight poor children in the said school gratis. We are informed this legacy was charged upon an estate called Barnes' Fold, near Hayfield, which was purchased by Mrs Dorothy Haigh, and that, by her will, she directed that the yearly payment thereout should be increased to £16. This sum is paid by John White, Esq., the owner, to Mrs Raine, who keeps the school referred to. In respect of this payment she teaches eight children.
Joseph Haigh, Esq. (See Glossop.) The yearly sum of £3 14s. 6d. for this township is laid out in linen cloth, and distributed to the poor, by the incumbent, in winter.
John Bennett by will, 1731, gave to his cousin, John Bennett, all his estates at Smithfield, on condition that he should pay to the churchwardens, yearly, the sum of 40s. on every 12th day of December, for the use of the poor of Great Hamlet, Phoside, and Kinder, to he distributed on Christmas day for ever. The estate belongs to John White, Esq., of Park Hall, by whom the 40s. is paid to the chapelwardens, and distributed as above,
Edward Bennett by will directed his executors to pay and apply the yearly interest of the sum of £60, owing to him on the Hayfield turnpike road, yearly, for ever, amongst poor persons of the hamlets of Great Hamlet, Phoside, and Kinder. He also directed his executors, after the death of his wife, to place and keep at interest, on good security, a sufficient sum of money out of his personal estate, as would produce a clear yearly sum of £7, and pay and apply the same amongst such poor persons of the above-named hamlets. The widow of the testator died in 1824, and means were about to be taken to secure a sum sufficient to produce the yearly sum of £7, at 4½ per cent, when the whole will be distributed as above by Mr Gee, the executor.
Fanny Marriott, who died February, 1821, bequeathed £50 to her executors, John Lingard and Ebenezer Glossop, on trust, to divide the interest thereof yearly on the 25th of December, amongst the poor of Great Hamlet, Phoside, and Kinder. John Lingard, Esq., in whose hands the legacy is left, pays £2 5s. as the interest, which is distributed in sums of 5s.
John Baddeley Radcliffes charity. (See Chapel-en-le-Frith.) The sum of £2 13s. 4d. is distributed annually to the poor of this township.
Rev. Francis Gisborne's charity. (See Bradley.) The annual sum of £5 10s., received by the incumbent, is laid out in the purchase of flannel and coarse woollen cloth, and distributed amongst the poor of this township.

A LIST OF PLACES CONTAINED IN THE GLOSSOP DIRECTORY, With References from Howard Town and Distances from Glossop.
Brookfield, Dinting Vale
Charlestown, Little Moor
Charlesworth, 3 miles S.W. of Glossop
Chisworth, 4 miles S.W. of Glossop
Chunall, 2 miles S. of Glossop
Dinting, 1 mile W. of Glossop
Dinting Vale, Green Vale
Gamesley, near Charlesworth
Glossop, ¾ mile E. Howard Town
Green Vale, Howard Town
Hadfield, 2 miles W.N.W. of Glossop
Hall at, Sheffield road
Little Moor, Howard Town
Market place, Howard Town
Mill Town, Howard Town
Padfield, 1½ mile N.N.W. of Glossop
Sheffield road, Howard Town
Simmondley, 2 miles S.W. of Glossop
Turnlee, Whitfield and Simmondley
Waterside, Wooley Bridge
Whitfield, 1 mile S. of Glossop
Windy Arbour, Glossop
Wooley Bridge, Brookfield

ALPHABETICAL AND TRADES DIRECTORY OF GLOSSOP.
Post Office, Market place, Joseph Oates, Postmaster. Letters arrive from Manchester, by mail Gig at 15 min. past 9 morning, and are despatched at 45 min. past 4 afternoon. Free delivery ¼ mile.
Those marked * have shops in the new Market house, 1 are at Howard Town, 2 Whitfield, 3 Green Vale, 4, Little Moor, 5 Chunall, 6 Mill Town, 7 Dinting, 8 Simmondley, 9 Woolley Bridge, 10 Hadfield, 11 Waterside, 12 Padfield, 13 Charlesworth, 14 Charlestown, 15 Dinting Vale, 16 Brookfield.
13 Adamson Rev. John, (independent)
13 Armitage Thomas, clerk weigh. Machine
4 Ashton Thomas Shaw Esq.
4 Atkin Rev. Thomas, (independent)
12 Barber Mrs Mary
13 Beard Rev. George, (baptist)
2 Bennet John gent.
Bowden Geo. Union Clerk and Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages, for Glossop District
10 Broadbent Joseph, mechanic
3 Brocklehurst Rev. James Dale, (met min.)
6 Brooks Jonathan, com miller
7 Buckley Edward, manager
12 Buckley Philip, bookkeeper
1 Clayton Wm. Bury Chief Constable of the Glossop Division of the High Peak, and Superintendent of the Lock-up
Des Jardins John, Deputy agent, clerk to the Reservoir Comrs., to the Trustees of the Glossop & Marple Bridge roads, & Secretary of the Savings' Bank
Fauvel Rev. Theodore, Catholic priest, Royle house
12 Garlick Mrs Mary
11 Garlick Joseph, postman to Howard Town
Glazebrook Rev. Benj. (Wes. Association)
Hadfield Joseph, Esq. Lees Hall
Harrison John, bookkeeper
Howe Rev. Christopher, vicar
6 Jepson Thomas, solicitor
Kershaw Mrs Rose Green cottage
4 Kershaw Robert Esq.
12 Lees Thomas Booth, Brook
9 Lees Robert John, Esq.
10 Lee Richard, skewer turner
12 Lodge Gulielmus, bookkeeper
7Marshall Rd. assistant overseer, Ashes
10 Marsden Rev. George, (meth. Min.)
Marsland Rev. George, (meth. min.
7 Maxwell Alexander, station master
7 Moody Matthew T. bookkeeper
1 Natrass Wm. basket and skipmaker
1 Oates Jph. inspector of weights & measures, auctioneer and accountant
1 Ollerenshaw James, road surveyor
12 Platt George, gent
12 Platt Joshua, gent
3 Pennington Levi, pawnbroker
10 Pickford James, station master
Pye George, gamekeeper, Heath
4 Reede Rev. Thomas Francis, curate
1 Robinson Thomas, station master
1 Rogers David, furniture broker
12 Rushby Mrs Mary
Shuttleworth Miss Teresa
10 Smith Robert Esq.
Spencer Wm. designer
13 Shepley Miss Mary
6 Thompson Edward Wm. solicitor, clerk to magistrates, Court of Requests, & Chapel-en-le-Frith and Enter Clough bridge roads
Tomlinson George, wood steward, Hall st
7 Townley Frederick, manager print work
2 White George, slate dealer
Waterhouse James, governor of Workhouse, relieving officer for Glossop Union, and deputy registrar
Winterbottom Robert, parish clerk
Williams Henry, gent
HOTELS, INNS AND TAVERNS
4 Albion, Joseph Hollingworth
8 Angel, Samuel Ollerenshaw
2 Bee Hive, James Robinson
12 Black Bull, John Batty, Torside
Bulls Head, James Pickford
13 Bulls Head, James Higginbottom
11 Commercial Inn, Richard Bragg
14 Commercial Inn, John Shew
Commercial Inn, Jas. Collier, Sheffield road
6 Drovers Inn, John Buckley
13 George and Dragon, Martha Booth
Greyhound, Mary Newton
13 Grey Mare, George Brocklehurst
Hare and Hounds, John Higginbottom
10 Hope and Anchor, John Garlick
5 Horse Shoe, Samuel Pickford
1 Howard Arms, Samuel Wagstaff
3 Junction Inn, Thomas Garlick
13 Letters, John Deeming, Wood
1 Norfolk Arms, Maria Wagstaff
7 Plough, Samuel Bennett
Queens Arms, Charles Fielding
Royal Oak, Joshua Shepley, Sheffield road
9 Spread Eagle, John Sykes
10 Spinners Arms, Benjamin Hill
1 Station Inn. John Higginbottom
12 Temple Inn, unoccupied
7 Viaduct, John Rhodes
ACADEMIES
15 Bailey Thos. Dinting vale
4 British, James Beebe
2 Church, John Balf
Church, Samuel Roberts
Catholic (Boys') George M'Mannamy
Catholic (Girls) Catherine Ellison
13 Daykin Samuel
4 Garlick John
18 Middleton Joash
8 Primitive Met., Jph. Henry Ferrand
Wesleyan, John Sellers
10 Wesleyan, John Goodwin
ATTORNEYS
4 Stirk Henry
6 Thompson and Jepson
BAKERS
1 Holdgate Ebenz. & coffee house
3 Judson Henry
1 Swindells Thomas
BANKERS
1 Manchester and Liverpool District Banking Company, Draw on Smith, Payne & Smith, S. B. Tomlins, manager
BLACKSMITHS
Bennett James
13 Bennett John
13 Bennett Wm.
6 Carlow Joseph
3 Dawson Robert
8 Dewsnap John
10 Dewsnap Thomas
1 Greaves Benjamin
11 Kidd Aquila
14 Maltby Jacob
15 Pickford Samuel
Wagstaff Joseph
Williamson Joseph
BEER HOUSES
16 Band Charles
11 Barlow Mary
1 Bottom Joseph
13 Bennett Joseph
13 Bradbury John
Darwent Nathan
3 Dewsnap Joshua
8 Dewsnap Moses
Hadfield Ellen
12 Had tie Id Sarah
6 Hampson Jordan
10 Harrison Thomas
1 Harrop Thomas
13 Higginbottom Isaac
13 Marsden Robert |
7 M'Knight Andrew
7 Patchett George
6 Pott John
13 Platt Robert
13 Rowbottom Joseph
Schofield John, Ball st
18 Shepley Thomas
9 Sykes Wm.
BOOKSELLERS, PRINTERS, & STATIONERS
* Goodwin John
*6 Irlam John
3 Nutter John
Perry John, Hall st & circ. lib.
1 Schofield Charles
BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS
Alsop John
Bird Wm. (warehouse)
Booth John.
11 Bradbury Wm. (warehse)
8 Bramhall Joseph
4 Bunting Joshua
1 Clark John, (& leathr cutr.)
Clark Wm.
13 Cooper David
9 Crowther John
Doxon Simeon
10 Fielding Wm.
18 Garside Wm.
Gooder David
6 Hadfield Samuel
3 Hall John
1 Hardman James
6 Hargreaves Hartly
12 Jackson Soloman
4 Lyne Samuel
4 *Neild Joseph
13 Nuttall Richard
12 Pickford John
13 Scholes Joseph
8 Scholes Isaac
13 Shepley Thomas
Shepherd Abraham, Hall st
1 Stafford John
1 Thompson John
4 Thornely James
4 Thornely Wm. (warehouse)
8 Wood Geo. (warehouse)
1 Wormald Joshua
BRAZIERS AND TINNERS
10 Blore James
3 Garside John,
1 Higginbottom Joseph
Lawton Caleb
1 Lowton John
6 Shaw John
BRUSH MAKER
1 Holroyd Matthew
BUTCHERS
•1Fielding Thomas
•3 France John
10 Garlick Jph. (& ctle. dlr.)
13 Goddard Samuel
4 Hollingworth Joseph
13 Jackson James
3 Lawton Wm.
Longden John
*6 Mitchel Wm.
10 Newton Richard
5 Nield Daniel
*7 Patchett George
Pickford James
1 Platt George
Pott John
8 Scholes Wm.
* Schofield Jas. & Jno. Hall st
*7 Schofield Joseph
* Shaw Robert
11 Sugden James
9 Sykes John
*1 Tarbutt Henry
* Winterbottom Edward
1 Wagstaff James
1 Wagstaff Thomas
* Wood Joseph
CABINET MAKER8 AND UPHOLSTERERS
1 Dyas Edward
4 Roebuck Joseph
CALICO PRINTERS
Dalton Thos. & John, and Hollingworth, Cheshire, & 21, Brown st Manchester
7 Potter Edmd. &co. Dinting Vale, and 14. Mosley street Manchester
CHEMI8TS, DRUGGISTS, AND COLOURMEN
1 Booth John
1 Kinder Ralph
1 Wreaks Thomas Peacock
CLOG AND PATTEN MAKERS
1 Booth John
6 Irlam Wm.
Lees Joshua
*1 Swire Thos (& shoe whs.)
COAL MASTERS
1 Frith Henry & co.
1 Newton George John & Co.
CONFECTIONERS
* Holdgate Ebenezer
* Robinson James
1 Swindells Thomas
CORN AND FLOUR DEALERS
4 Beever James
1 Collier Hannah
10 Crowther 8arah
Downs Eli
Fielding George
3 Garlick John
8 Goodwin Wm.
1 Goddard Wm.
13 Hall John
1 Hampson John & Joseph
4 Harrison Abel
6 Irlam John
3 Lawton Wm.
6 Lawton James
1 Higginbottom Anthony
1 Pycroft James
20 Robinson George
1 Robinson Samuel
1 Robinson Jane
1 Ollerenshaw James, jun.
1 Shaw Ann
1 Smith Wm.
4 Smithers Henry
1 Stocks John
4 Thornely Robert
6 Wagstaff Aaron
8 Wilkinson Joseph
1 Williamson George
1 Wood Charles
16 Woodcock Joseph
COTTON MANUFACTURERS
12 Barber John & Brothers
Bramhall Wm. Knotts
9 Lees Henry, & 10. Marsden st. Manchester
12 Lees Saml. Brook, and 10 Marsden at Manchester
9 Shepley Samuel, Brookfield
11 Sidebottom John & Wm. * co. & Mottram
3 Summer Fras. h. Primrose, & 19 New Brown st. Manchester
6 Walker Wm. (sewing cotn.)
1 Wood John jun. & brothers, Mill town and 101 Fountain st Manchester
11 Winterbottom John, Bottoms Lodge, and Tintwisle, Cheshire
COTTON BAND MANUFACTR8
13 Booth John & George
8 Jackson Levi
8 Lyne Wm.
COTTON SPINNERS & MANFB8.
12 Barber John & Brothers
8 Bennett John, Turnlee
8 Bennett Joseph
Beresford Jph. & Holland Jno.
13 Bowden John, Coombs
Bramhall Wm. Knotts
12 Broadbent Abm. (doubler) Old Mills
Cooper Joseph, Chisworth
Ford John, weaver & wadding manufacturer, Spread Mills
Hadfield John, Cowbrook
13 Harrison Wright, Kinder lee
8 Howard Jph, Bridgefield, & Primrose
2 Jackson Abm. Shepley
4 Kershaw Saml. & co. wool carders, Turnlee
Kershaw John, Hurst, h. Holly Bank
Leigh Thomas, Twist Mill
2 Linney Isaac, Cross cliffe
9 Lees Hy. & 10 Marsden st Manchester
12 Lees Samuel, Brook, & 10 Marsden st Manchester
13 Mainland Band. Broadbottom bridge
12 Platt Wm. and Brothers, spinners & doublers, Padfield and Hadfield Lodge
13 Ratcliff Thos. Kinder brook
Shepley James and Robert
16 Shepley Samuel
13 Stafford Wm.
11 Sidebottom Jno. & Wm. & Co. and Mottram
3 Sumner Francis, h. Primrose, and 19, New Brown st, Manchester
6 Walker Wm.
13 Wardlow Geo. Bank wood
1 Wood John senr. Mill town and 101, Fountain st Manchester
1 Wood John, jun. & brothers, Mill town, and 101, Fountain st. Manchester
11 Winterbottom John, Bottoms lodge, Tintwisle, Chsr
CURRIERS & LEATHER CUTTERS
1 Shepley Samuel
1 Wilby William
DYER
3 Corless Joseph
EARTHENWARE, &c. DEALERS
4 Robinson George
* Simcock John
FARMERS
Bennett James, Heath
8 Bennett, Joseph
8 Bennett Randall
Bowden Samuel, Heath
5 Bramhall Jonathan
5 Bramhall Thomas
8 Buckley Henry
7 Cooper George
Darwent Joseph, Betting hill
13 Dewsnap Hannah, Lee hd
2 Dearneley Sarah
12 Frost George, Deep clough
12 Garlick William
7 Garlick Joseph
2 Garside John
2 Garside Thomas, Hurst
12 Hadfield Mary
8 Hague Henry
8 Hague John
7 Haigh William
18 Harrison James, Gamesley
13 Harrison John, Gamesley
12 Handforth John
2 Hampson John
10 Higginbottom George
Higginbottom Th. Blackshaw
13 Marsden John, Gamesley
5 Nield James
5 Nield Thomas
10 Nield Thomas
7 Newton William, Ashes
Peace James, Mosey lee
7 Platt Benjamin
7 Platt Thomas
13 Ratcliff Thos. Kinder brook
2 Robinson Kitty, Jumble
12 Roberts John Hyde, Brosscroft
12 Roberts Joshua, Deep clgh
5 Robinson Joseph, Gnathole
5 Robinson Robert
Rowbottom James, Lane head
8 Rowbottom George
8 Shaw Jonathan
2 Sheppard Robert
10 Sheppard Ja. Top of the hill
7 Sheppard William, Ashes
Shepley Joshua, Sheffield rd
12 Stubbs Joseph, Deep clgh
8 Taylor Sarah, Hall
13 Thornely Wm. Gamesley
12 Turner John, Torside
13 Wagstaff Robert
Winterbottom Dolly, Wimbry
Wyatt Joseph, Blackshaw
13 Wyld John
FIRE AND LIFE OFFICE AGENT
Manchester, John Des Jardins
GROCERS AND TEA DEALERS
1 Booth John, and sub-distributor of stamps
11 Bradbury William
11 Chatterton John
1 Collier Hannah
1 Collier Ths. wholesale, and coffee roaster
10 Crowther Saville
Downs Eli
Fielding George
8 Goodwin William
3 Garlick John
1 Goddard William
13 Hall John
1 Hampson John & Jph. whls
1 Higginbottom Anthony
6 Irlam John
6 Lawton James
3 Lawton William
3 Nutter John
1 Ollerenshaw James jun.
1 Pycroft James
4 Robinson George
1 Robinson Jane
1 Robinson Samuel
1 Shaw Ann
1 Smith William
4 Smithers Henry
1 Stocks John
4 Thornely Robert
6 Wagstaff Aaron
1 Williamson George
1 Wood Charles
10 Woodcock Joseph
HAIR DRESSER
1 Barber Owen
HAT MANUFACTURERS
1 Coe Jas. hosr, & sm. wr. dir
1 Pemberton Joseph
10 Wood Samuel, mfr
JOINERS AND BUILDERS
2 Bennett Joseph
1 Bowden Jonathan & Joseph
13 Bradbury John
2 Bennett Joseph
6 Bradbury Thomas
3 Fearnley Wm.
3 Harrison Edward
6 Nail Joseph
8 Robinson Joseph and Thos.
4 Roebuck Joseph
Thorpe George, jun.
10 Warhurst James
10 Warhurst John
4 Warhurst Timothy
IRONMONGERS
1 Greaves Benjamin
1 Hawksworth Joseph
6 Lawton John
1 Shepley Samuel
Ward Joseph, Hall st
LINEN & WOOLLEN DRAPERS
1 Atkinson John
1 Brook John
11 Bradbury Wm.
11 Chatterton John
13 Moss Arthur (linen)
1 Robinson Joseph, junr
Shearne Edward
1 Webb Wm
MACHINE MAKERS
13 Booth James & Brothers, & brass & iron founders.
MASONS & BUILDERS
8 Charlesworth Wm
Cook Orlando, Windy arbour
Goodison John, do.
1 Jackson Thomas
5 Morton Charles
13 Rowbottom Joseph
Taylor Samuel, Rose green
10 Thornton Thomas
2 Watts Thomas
MILLINERS
l Bolton Mary
1 Braddock Ellen
9 Crankshaw Ann
11 Crowther Ann
13 Goodwin Mary
Harrison Mary, and straw hat maker
Jackson Ann
* Jackson James
1 Lloyd Elizabeth and Eliza
1 M'Maron Ann, and cap mkr
1 Ollerenshaw Eliza
1 Thornton Margaret
RAIL MAKERS
3 Hall John
1 Hawksworth Joseph
PAINTERS, PLUMBERS &GLAZIERS.
13 Beard James
Higginbottom John
1 Higginbottom Joseph
PAPER MANUFCTRS.
14 Fox George
2 Kershaw Samuel and Co., Turnlee
7 Oliver Saml. Bridge house and 98 Mkt. st Manchester
PLASTERERS
8 Ollerenshaw Hugh
8 Ollerenshaw Saml & slater
5 Robinson Jph. & painter
4 Robinson Samuel
SADDLRS & HARNESS MAKERS
1 Judson Randal
1 Kelsall Wm
9 Woolley Thomas
SHOPKEEPERS
Bagshaw John, Charlsworth
13 Bancroft Wm
9 Band James
4 Beever James
2 Bennett George
2 Bennett Joseph
3 Booth Abraham
13 Booth Martha
Bowden George
13 Bradbury John
3 Braddock Thomas
13 Brocklehurst George
9 Brown Richard
3 Colley Agnes
11 Cook James
Cooper James
Cresswell George
Cresswell Wm
2 Dewsnap Samuel
3 Fielding Jeremiah
4 Garlick John
13 Goddard Samuel
13 Hall Moses
4 Harrison Abel
13 Higginbottom Peter
Howard John
1 Ishwood John
13 Jackson James
Jackson Michael, Rose green
3 Jackson Thomas
9 Kenyon John
1 Jenkinson John
Lee Isaiah
8 Lewis John
12 Lester John
6 Longden John
10 Marshall Robert
6 Massey Daniel
2 Nield Dan
13 Nield Charles
1 Newton James
11 Norminton John
11 Norminton Charles
8 Nutter John
7 Platt Thomas
Robinson John
11 Rolley Keziah
Schofield Jas. Sheffield rd
Schofield John, Hall st
12 Siddall John
Sellars Robert
Sheppard Abraham, Hall st
1 Sheppard Robert
Sidebottom John, Rose green
8 Smithies Henry
* Stafford Samuel
3 Sykes Jerry
9 Sykes Wm.
13 Sykes John
Thorp Joseph
9 Thorp Thomas
4 Warhurst Timothy
10 Warhurst Thomas
4 Waterhouse John
3 Wilkinson Joseph
STOCKING MANUFRS.
*1 Allmey Wm
*4 Nield Thomas
STONE MERCHANTS
8 Dewsnap Moses
2 Wagstaff Robert
10 Wood Joseph
SURGEONS
11 France Allen
1 Howard W
Hunt Wm. Cowbrook cottage
6 Jackson Wm
Jones Henry
1 Thornton Peter
6 Turton Thomas
TAILORS AND DRAPERS
13 Bardsley Thomas
13 Dixon Wm
Froggatt Thomas
10 Gill Charles
14 Goddard Samuel
1 Hall Aaron
Hall Robert
Hall James
8 Harrison Thomas
13 Jackson Hy. Hargate hill
Jackson Michael, Rose green
11 Longbottom Ralph, and clothier
3 M'Daniel John
Shearne Edward
* Ogden - , and clothier
1 Wadsworth Wm
10 Wood Robert
3 Wrigley Thomas, and funeral furnisher
TANNER
13 Shepley Joseph
VETERINARY SURGEON
7 Rhodes John
WA8TE DEALERS
7 Booth Robert, Shaw
13 Booth John and George
1 Dewsnap Joseph
WATCH f& CLOCK MAKERS
6 Barber Samuel
1 Minshull John
WHEELWRIGHTS
13 Beard Joseph
1 Cockayne Geo. and joiner
Hopwood James
12 Wood John
WOOLLEN DRAPERS
* Barney O'Brien, clothier
1 Robinson Joseph, junr,
WOOLLEN NANUFR.
5 Robinson Jph. sen. Gnathole
CARRIERS
For Railway Companies.
Platt Benj. Lower Dinting
Siddal George, Spire holly
To Manchester, Liverpool, and London, from Glossop, Wm. Jackson and Sons, office Dinting Railway Station

CHINLEY.
Those marked 1 are at Bugsworth, 2 Brownside, 3 Milton, 4 New Smithy, 5 Wash.
1 Bardsley Thomas, schoolmaster
1 Braddock James, gent
1 Carrington Anthony, gent
1 Drinkwater John, gent
Glossop Rev. Ebenezer, (Independent)
Goddard John, road surveyor
Goddard Thomas, stone mason
3 Gregory John, com miller, Milton
Hudson Isaac, joiner and builder
Ingham James, paper mfr., h. Green's house
Middleton Wm. schoolmaster, and registrar of Marriages for Chapel-en-le-Frith Union
1 Potts John, canal agent
Riley Wm. wadding mfr. Bridgehome green
Simpson James, stone cutter
Taylor Wm. gent Mosley house
1 Wright Jonathan, cotton spinner and manufacturer, h. Hall
INNS AND TAVERNS
1 Bull's Head, Joseph Bennett
3 Cross Keys, Samuel Hadfield
Crown and Mitre, Moses Simpson
Lamb Inn, Wm. Porritt
1 Navigation Inn, Danl. Hodgson, Basin
BEERH0U8E8
1 Ford Edward
Hill Joseph, It tea gardens, Bridgeholm gm
BLACKSMITHS
1 Jackson John
4 Kirk George
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
1 Drinkwater Benj
1 Drinkwater Joseph
Porritt Joseph
CATTLE DEALERS
Goddard Geo
Goddard Joseph
Yates Wm
COAL MASTERS
1 Boothman Jn. Wm
1 Drinkwater Thos. and Wm
FARMERSA
1 Bardsley Thos
Barnes Joseph
2 Barnes Philip
Bennett James
Bramwell Thos
2 Brocklehurst John
1 Broadhurst Wm
2 Collier Robert
2 Cooper Thos
2 Crapper Wm
1 Drinkwater Henry
1 Drinkwater Thos
1 Drinkwater Wm
2 Goddard Geo
Goddard Joseph
Goddard Nicholas
2 Hadfield James
Hadfield, Joseph, New house
Hadfield Joseph, Hill end
Handford Chas
2 Handford Joel
1 Hartle Joseph
Hudson David
Hudson Thos
2 Kinder James
Kirk John
2 Lingard Joshua
Lingard Wm
2 Lomas Wm
1 Longson Joseph
1 Lowe John
2 Pearson Geo
Porritt John
2 Porritt Obadiah
Porritt Wm 1 Shirt Chas
1 Swindells John
1 Waterhouse Joseph
2 Waterhouse Wm
2 Wild Geo
2 Wood James
Yates Thos
3 Yates Samuel
Yates Wm
GROCERS &c
4 Harrison Ralph
1 Hodgson Daniel
5 Platts Elias
4 Simpson Moses
1 Wild John
PLUMBERS & GAZIERS.
Middleton Henry
Middleton John
STONE MERCHANTS
Handford Daniel
1 Lowe Peter
Simpson Joseph

CHISWORTH.
Those marked 1 are at Coombs, 2 Sander's lane, 3 Moorside, 4 Chewood, 5 Hole house
5 Cooper Joseph, cotton spinner
4 Cooper Joseph & Joe, candlewick makers
Cooper Moses,boot & shoe maker
INNS AND TAVERNS
Commercial, James Harrison
Queen's Arms, John Rowbottom, and cotton band manufacturers
BEERHOUSES
Rowbottom Samuel
Swindells George
FARMERS
8 Brierley Henry
1 Booth Ralph
1 Booth Samuel
1 Booth Thomas
Cooper Nanny
2 Jackson James
Massey John
Nield George
3 Rowbottom Moses
Rowbottom Solomon
Shepley John
Sidebottom John
Stanney John
Thornely James
2 Thornely John 2 Thornely Noah
Thornely Samuel
SHOPKEEPERS
Booth Ralph, & baker
Harrison James
Jubb Chas
Rowbottom James

HAYFIELD.
Marked 1 are at Kinder, 2 at Phoside.
Post-Office, George Inn. Letters by Mail Gig from Stockport, arrive at 10, morning, and are despatched at 3, afternoon.
Adamson Ebenezer, clerk of the board of guardians of the Hayfield Union, and superintendent registrar of Hayfield and Glossop District
Bennett Wm. manager
Bowden Joseph, cotton cord mfr. Ned mill
Bowden Joseph, gamekeeper
Brown James, yarn & thread bleacher, Spinner bottoms
Crowther Mrs Alice
Eyre Geo. & Co. woollen mfrs. Walk Mills
Eyre Miss Mary, ladies' school
2 Goddard Jas. stone mason
Hampson Joseph, hair dresser
Hampson Saml., wheelwright
Hibbert and Allcock, cotton spinners and manufacturers, Clough mill
Lyne Wm. painter and glazier
Marriott John, gent
Marriott Thos. gent
Mason Joseph, professor of music
Mellin Joseph, patten and clog maker
Rangeley Jonah, millwright
Slack Robert, paper mfr. Bank vale
Shaw James, cattle dealer
Taylor Peter, tinman and brazier
Taylor and Lucas, calico printers, Wood mill,
and 31, York st. Manchester
Turner Geo. cooper
Walker John, agent to the Yorkshire Insurance office
Wasse Rev. Samuel, MA., incumbent
Waterhouse Mrs Hannah
Waterhouse Martha, draper
Waterhouse Samuel, gent
White John, Esq, Park hall
Wild Thomas, parish clerk
INNS AND TAVERNS
Bull's Head, James Shaw
George Inn, Rachel Quarmby
Grouse Inn, Israel Warrington, Fisher's bar
New Inn, Joseph Bowden
Pack Horse, Isaac Rangeley
BEERHOUSES
Bennett George
Handford John
Hurst John
Stafford John
Turner Joseph
Waterhouse Samuel
BLACKSMITHS
Brocklehurst James
Waterhouse John
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Bennett George
Hadfield Samuel
Turner Thomas
Turner Joseph
Walker James
Walker Wm.
BUTCHERS
Eyre Thomas
Quarmby George
Turner Wm.
Wheeldin Wm.
FARMERS
Ashton Wm. Long lee
2 Barber John
1 Bennett James
1 Bennett Edward
1 Bennett Robert
1 Bradbury Edmund
1 Bowden Thomas
2 Brocklehurst Joseph
2 Brocklehurst Wm.
Dearnaby Joseph
1 Derbyshire John
1 Gee John
2 Goddard Joseph
2 Hadfield John
1 Hall Micah
Hurst John
1 Marriott John, sen.
1 Marriott John
1 Marriott Jno. Hill hs
2 Morten John
Pott John
Saxon John
Stafford John
2 Simpson John
2 Trueman John
2 Wardle Tho. Birch hall
Waterhouse Samuel
Wilson Benjamin
GROCERS
Simpson John, & drpr
Walker John, & drgst
Woodcock Jph. & drpr
JOINERS & BUILDERS
Mason Joel
Rangeley Isaac
Rangeley John
Waterhouse John
SHOPKEEPERS
Bennett George
Bowden Joseph
Bradbury Robert
Eyre Thomas
Howard Henry
Hunt John
Redfern George
COACH
From Holmfirth to Buxton, during the Summer on Saturdays and returns Mondays, calling at the George Inn
CARRIERS
To Manchester, and Stockport, John Barber and John Trueman, Tuesday and Friday

LUDWORTH
These marked 1 are at Compstall Road, 2 Marple Bridge.
Post Office, at Jane Dyson's Compstall road. Letters arrive from Stockport, at 8 afternoon, and are despatched at ½ past 8 morning.
1 Andrew Charles, Esq., Springwood
1 Andrew George Esq., Green Hill
1 Andrew Geo. jun. Esq., Erno Croft House
1 Andrew Thomas Esq., Springwood
1 Bagshaw George, bookkeeper
1 Bradbury Samuel, schoolmaster
1 Colbeck Sarah, straw bonnet maker
1 Dyson Jane, postmistress
2 Docker Elizabeth., confectioner
2 Docker Wm. painter and plasterer
2 Gee Daniel, saddler and leather cutter
2 Kirkus Rev. Robert, (Independent)
1 Lee Robert, tinner and brazier
1 Leigh Edward, manager
1 Mather Hannah, dress maker
1 Mitchell Isaac, millwright
1 Moors Wm. waste dealer
1 Sherwin Ralph, bookkeeper
1 Swindells Sarah, dress maker
2 Taylor Wm. blacksmith
Tomlinson Miss Ellen Ann
INNS AND TAVERNS
2 Horse Shoe, John Wright
1 Shuttle, Wm. Dean
1 Spring Gardens, Caleb Warhurst
2 Norfolk Arms Eliz. Cheetham
2 Railway, Henry Fox
BEERH0U8E8
1 Cooper John
Higginbottom Wm.
1 Holden Samuel
1 Maltby Samuel
2 Marsland James
2 Platt Ralph
2 Tymm Joseph
2 Walker John
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
1 Beard John
2 Beard Wm.
2 Harrison David
1 Jackson Wm.
2 Rathbone John
1 Renshaw Isaac
BUTCH ERS
1 Hinchcliffe Joseph
1 Richardson James
COTTON MANUFACTRS.
1 Andrew Geo. & Sons & calico printers
Bardsley Henry, Mill Clough
DRAPERS
2 Baxter Maria
2 Hambleton John
2 Kirk John
1 Walters George, & clothier
FARMERS
Bradley Charles
Chappel Thomas
Dawson David
Fearnaley Robert
2 Fox Nathaniel
Gee Joseph
Harrison Moses
Howard Bernard
Livesley Thomas
2 Platt James
Rowbottom John
Taylor James
Wood John
Wood Ralph
Wood Wm.
GROCERS
2 Baxter Maria
2 Blakeley Peter
1 Cooper John
1 Earnshaw Chas. & corn dealer
2 Kirk John
1 Oliver Saml. & drug.
JOINERS
2 Fox Henry
2 Lawton Jonas
PLUMBERS
2 Middleton Richard
2 Middleton Robert
SHOPKEEPERS
1 Clayton Wm.
1 Cooke Samuel
2 Gee Betty
Higginbottom James
Platt Ralph
1 Warhurst Horatio
1 Webb John
SPADE MANUFACTS.
2 Platt Samuel
2 Yarwood Richard
TAILORS & DRAPERS
1 Davis Wm.
2 Gibbons Isaac
2 Nichols Abm. Barlow

MELLOR.
Those marked 1 reside at Birchen Hough, 2 Bleachworks, 3 Cobden edge, 4 Longhurst, 5 Lower Cliffe, 6 Mellor Hall, 7 Towns Cliffe.
Post Office, Devonshire Arms. Letters from Stockport arrives at 4 afternoon, and departs 7 morning.
Arnfield John, boot and shoemaker
Arnfield James, gent
Arnfield Thomas, millwright
Atkin Isaac, auctioneer
Bowden James, carrier
Brailsford Samuel, tailor
4 Ferns Thomas Esq.
Freeman Rev. Matthew, incumbent
Hatch Thomas, dyer and scourer
Hickson Robert, wood steward
7 Lees Thomas Esq.
6 Moult Thomas Sen. Esq.
6 Moult Thomas jun, Esq.
6 Moult John Esq.
Oldham Samuel, hat manufacturer
1 Ollerenshaw David, gent
Parkes Thomas, manager
Parkes Thomas jun, manager
Pott James, plasterer and painter
Stafford Wm. stone mason
3 Tomlinson James Esq.
5 Turner Wm. Henry Esq.
Waller Thomas sen. Esq.
Warburton John, schoolmaster
Wilde Miss Martha
2 Wood Ralph and James, bleachers
INNS AID TAVERNS
Church, Thomas Wooley
Devonshire Arms, Samuel Oldham
Duke of Sussex, Henry Marsland
Hare and Hounds, John Hamilton
Holly Wood, Thomas Fernaley
Odd Fellows Arms, Abraham Heap
Royal Oak, John Hambleton
Sportsman's Arms, Hy. Anderton, Cheetham hill.
BEERHOUSES
Sidebottom James
Storer Joseph
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Leighton John
Wood James
BUTCHERS
Bradbury James
Turner Thomas
COAL MASTER
Jowett Jon. Lower hall
COTTON MANUFACTURERS
Brierley Jas. & Saml. Dove bank
Clayton John, & co., Bottoms Hall
Ratcliffe Jph. & Sml. Bridget and Damsteads
Waller Thomas, junr. Dove bank
Woolley John, Executors of, Mill clough
FARMERS
Barker Wm.
Beard Wm.
Bradbury Joseph
Collier John
Goddard Joseph
Hall John
Hambleton Joel
Hambleton Wm.
Handford John
Higginbottom John
Middleton Joseph
Moult Wm.
Oldham Thomas
Pickford Samuel
Sidebottom James
Storer Joshua
Walker James
SHOPKEEPERS
Arnfield John
Bradbury Randal
Cooper Sarah
Pickford Joseph
Pearson John
Thornley Samuel
Waller Thomas, sen.

NEW MILLS.
1 are at Beard, 2 Ollersett, 3 Thornsett, 4 Rowarth; those not marked, in Whitle.
Post-Office—James Fielding, Postmaster. Letters from Stockport, by Mail Gig, at 10 in the morning, and are despatched at half-past 3, afternoon.
4 Andrew Wm. cotton manufacturer
1 Baines Rev Thos. D. Methodist minister
Barnes John, gent Torr top
Bennett John, calico printer, h. Garrison
Bennett Joseph, calico printr. b, Ravensleach
Bennett Richard, gent Market st
Bridge John, gent Mansion house
3 Broadhurst Wm. calico pr. h. near Garrison
Cairns John, dyer, h. Marsh Vale
2 Carr Thos. gent Cottage
2 Carlyle Rev. Irving, M.A. incumbent
Clayton Jph. curr. & lthr. cutter, Woolpack yd
Collins Rev. John Joseph, catholic priest
Cooper Samuel, sausage maker
Dickinson Rev. Miles (Primitive Methodist)
Faulkner John, bellman
Fell Jacob, manager, Torr top
Gill James, watch and clock maker
Gracey James, schoolmaster, (Wesleyan)
Hampson James, wheelwright
Harley Rev. Robert, Wes. Assocn. minister
Heald, Peter, block printer
Heap Joshua, assistant overseer
Hodson Rev. John, Wes. min.
Ingham James, calico printer, h. London pla
Jackson Thomas, auctioneer
Kirkland Rev. A. Pri. Meth. minister
Lloyd Charles, hair dresser
Mason Henry, machine broker
1 Mellor John, Wood steward
Mellor Josiah, cotton spinner, h. Torr
Mullany John, ironmonger
Poyser Mrs Elisabeth
Ridgeway John, cotton spinner, h. Beard
Roberts John, cotton spinner, h. Torr
Robinson Chas. calico printer, Strines
Robinson Edward, calico printer, Strines
Sidebottom James, cotton spinner, h. Beard
Simon, Rev. Samuel, Indep, minister
2 Slater John, governor of the workhouse
Strickland Wm. dyer, h. Marsh vale
3 Swann Elijah, schoolmaster
2 Taylor John, land agent & surv. Hall
Turner Rev. Isaac Bias, M.A. curate
4 Webster David, manager, Grove
Willans John, manager, Waterside
Wright Joseph, plumber and glazier
Yates Jas. calico printer, h. Ladyshaw bottom
Yates Chas. calico printer, h. Warksmoor
Yates John, calico printer, h. Rock cottage
INNS AND TAVERNS
Bull's Head, James Etchells
Crown, Commercial, Thomas Jackson
Dog and Partridge, John Pearson
George, John Higginbottom
Cock, James Sidebottom
Grapes, Joseph Waterhouse
Green Man, Joseph Jowle
4 Hare and Hounds, John Shaw
2 Hare and Hounds, Margaret Frost
4 Lime Cart, Wm. Cole, Matty moor
4 Little Mill, Mary Nield
Masons' Arms, Martha Hibbertson
3 Printer's Arms, Joseph Harrison
White Hart, Peter Taylor
BEERHOUSES
Bowden Samuel
3 Bate Wm
Lee James
Potts Thomas
BAKERS
Howard Jonathan
Warren Peter
BLACKSMITHS
3 Liddard Thomas
Pearson George
Waterhouse Charles
Wyatt John
BOOKSELLER AND PRINTER
Collier Robert, circulating library and stamp office
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Bailey John
3 Bate Wm
Brown Samuel
Hague Benjamin
Johnson WM
4 Reece Wm
Randles Wm
Robinson Wm
Taylor Jame
Wheatley Edward
BUTCHERS
Broom Abraham
Coates John
Goddard Heskey
Sidebottom James
Sidebottom Joseph
BLEACHER
4 Heartwell John, Ringstones
CALICO PRINTERS
3 Bennett Jph. & Co., Garrison
Ingham and Yates, London place
Strines Company
Yates John & Chas. Rock mill
CANDLE WICK MANUFACTURERS
Gibson Joseph, Torr
Hibbert Robt. Torr
Stafford John, Torr
Thornely John, Bower mill
Wharmby Geo, Torr
COALMASTERS
Bower Ralph
3 Hall Levi & Elijah, Ravensleach
3 Jowett Jonathan, h. Lower hall, Mellor
COTTON 8PINNER8
Marked * are Mfrs.
*4 Hardy & Andrew, Grove
4 Hague James
Mellor and Roberts, Torr
Slater Leigh, Grove, h. High lee
Stafford Joseph, and band manufacturer, Green man
1 Sidebottom and Ridgeway
Sleddon Thos., Torr top
*Vickers Archibald, Waterside
DRAPERS
Arnfield John
Fielding James
Gregory Geo. & shoe warehouse
Ingham Jas. & hosier
Ohora Thomas
DYERS
Cairns & Strickland, Turkey red, Marsh Vale
3 Tomlinson Ralph, blue
ENGRAVER
Ready Samuel Wellington, St George's Works
FARMERS
3 Beard Samuel
Bennett James
3 Bennett Thomas
Berry Thomas
Boam Henry
2 Bowden James
Bowden John
Broom James
4 Burgess Wm
Chadwick Thomas
1 Collier Thomas
2 Dale John
3 Drinkwater John
1 Drinkwater Thos.
3 Fearnaly George
3 Fearnaly John
1 Frost John
Froggatt Thomas
Garrett Wm
Goddard Joseph
4 Hadfield Benjamin
3 Hall Levi & Elijah
1 Handford Hannah
Hall Wm
Hibbert Wm
2 Higginbottom Eli
Higginbottom Saml.
4 Higginbottom Robt
Hopwood John
4 Howe James
4 Howe John
Johnson Jacob
2 Johnson Joseph
3 Johnson Wm
1 Joliffe George
Livesley Samuel
Mellor John
Milnes Mary
4 Nield Joseph
1 Pearson Jph. Hall
Pearson Wm
4 Pickford Wm
1 Ramsbottom Wm
4 Reece Peter
4 Rowbottom Wm
4 Shaw Thomas
3 Sidebottom George
Simister Elisha
Stafford Joseph
Swann Samuel
4 Sykes James
Thorpe James
1 Titterton Edensor
3 Wild Benjamin
Wild Wm
8 Wood David
Woolley James
3 Woolley George
FIRE AND LIFE OFFICE AGENTS
Dissenters', — James Sidebottom
Star,—Robt Collier
GROCERS
Arnfield John
Bradburn David
Berry James
Bridge Charles
Bridge John
Chadwick Thomas
Crowther Ann
Fielding James
Howard Jonathan
Johnson Henry
Morten Joseph
3 Mosley Mary and Rebecca
Sidebottom James, & druggist
Warren Peter
3 Wild Samuel
HAT MANUFACTRS.
Arnfield John
Thornely Joseph
IRONFOUNDER
Bradbury Charles
JOINERS
Howard Wm
Redfern George
MILLINERS, &c.
Collier Mary
Kimer Ann
NAIL MANUFACTR8.
Heeley John
2 Hodgetts John
Mullany John
PAINTERS
Allsop Joseph
Kimer Samuel & Co. & white lead mfrs.
SADDLER
Pearson George, and ironmonger
SHOPKEEPERS
Ardarn Mary
Beard John, sen
Beard John
Bennett Jonathan
Bowden Thomas
Crowther John
3 France Robert
Goddard Heskey
Green Joseph
Hibbert Charles
Johnson John
Marsh George
4 Reece Wm
Rothwell James
Stafford Joseph
3 Turner Robt A.
STONE MASONS
1 Jolliffe George
Mason John
Mason Robert
Potts Thomas
Stafford John
STRAW HAT MAKERS
Bradbury Mary
Mason Maria
SURGEONS
Hibbert John
Jackson Thos. Rd.
3 Mosley John Michl.
TAILORS
Burton Wm
4 Froggatt Wm
Hibbert James
Higginbottom Wm
Hulton Nathan
Longson Wm
Woolley John
TIN PLATE WORKERS
Hall Samuel
M'Rae George
COACH
Mercury, to Manchester, every morning, at 8, & returns at 8. John Pearson, proprietor
CARRIERS
To Manchester and Stockport, Joel Barber & Jesse Wyld.


Return to the Local History Main Menu, Return to Trade Directory List, Return to the Home Page.




Page last updated: 16 September 2018.
Copyright 2018 Glossop Heritage Trust. All Rights Reserved.