Glossop Heritage Trust

Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1881
Entries for the area of the Borough of Glossop.



GLOSSOP.
Glossop (or Glossop Dale) is a municipal borough, market and union town, head of a county court district, township parish, polling-place for North Derbyshire, and railway station, 192½ miles by rail from London (King’s Cross), from 9½ Ashton, 24¼ from Barnsley, 87 from Birmingham, 65 from Burton, 47 from Chesterfield, 58 from Derby, 41 from Doncaster, 87 from Leicester, 34 from Leek, 47 from Liverpool, 73¾ from Lincoln, 13 from Manchester, 20 from Macclesfield, 74 from Nottingham, 30 from Sheffield, 66¼ from Stafford, 10½ from Staley bridge, 11 from Stockport, 53 from Uttoxeter and 72 from Wolverhampton. It is in High Peak hundred, rural deanery of Castleton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Lichfield, situate on the borders of Cheshire. The parish contains the townships of Glossop Dale, Hadfield, Padfield, Whitfield, Charlesworth, Simmondley, Dinting, Chunal, Ludworth and Chisworth.
The borough is divided into three wards, viz. All Saints, Hadfield and St. James’s. The corporation consists of a mayor, 6 aldermen, and 18 councillors.
The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway is carried across Dinting Vale on a lofty viaduct of sixteen arches, constructed of stone, about a mile west from the town hall.
The parish of All Saints, Glossop, is now divided into four - (1) the old parish of Glossop, All Saints; (2) the parish of Whitfield, St. James; (3) the parish of Hadfield, St. Andrew; (4) the parish of Dinting, Holy Trinity. The ancient parish church of All Saints, pulled down in 1824, consisted of chancel, clerestoried nave, north and south aisles, porch and tower with spire: the style was principally Perpendicular, but included portions of earlier work, from Norman downwards. The present church is a modern Gothic edifice, consisting of a chancel with lancet windows, a nave of one span, surrounded on three sides by galleries, a vestry and organ chamber, erected by the present vicar and a tower containing: 8 bells, re-hung during the past year and a chiming apparatus attached, at a cost of £180, with spire rebuilt in 1856 : there is a stained east window of three lights to a late Duke and Duchess of Norfolk, Robert Shepley esq. and John Wood esq. former benefactors: the old church plate bears date 1745, but during the past year a new set of plate has been contributed by the parishioners. In addition to the churches above mentioned, there are in the ancient parish of Glossop the old chapelries of Hayfield and Mellor,the new parish churches of Charlesworth and New Mills, and the new district church of Limedale, comprising the townships of Chinley, Bugsworth and Brownside: the churchyard is closed except for interments in walled graves where there may be room. There is a burial board and a cemetery with separate chapels for Churchmen, Nonconformists and Catholics. The register dates from the year 1620. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £280, with residence, in the gift of Lord Foley, and held by the Rev. John Dickenson Knowles M.A. of St. Peter’s College, Cambridge.
Among the more recent vicars of Glossop, mention deserves to he made of the Rev. Christopher Howe, born at Threlkeld, in Cumberland, July 1st, 1765, incumbent of this living from 1793 to 1849, and for 40 years also incumbent of Woodhead in Cheshire: he was appointed to the vicarage of Glossop by the Hon. and Rev. Edward Harcourt, then Bishop of Carlisle and afterwards Archbishop of York, and during his long and laborious ministry, more than 46 years of which were passed without assistance, he established a day school at Glossop, in which he personally taught, and partly rebuilt the parish church: he died September 1st and was buried September 7th, 1849, in the 85th year of his age and the 57th of his vicariate of Glossop. Not less venerable for the number of his days and the prolonged character of his public services, was Mr. Charles Winterbottom, who died at the age of 87 years and 7 months, having been for upwards of 60 years sexton and clerk of the parish of Glossop; the united official service of both covers, as will be seen, the almost fabulous period of 116 years.
The Unitarians, Congregationalists, the Associated Methodists, the Primitive Methodists and the Wesleyans have each a chapel.
Near Glossop Hall stands the Catholic chapel of All Saints, a building in the Classic style, erected by the late Duke of Norfolk in 1831, and containing many valuable paintings.
There is a Cemetery of six acres, with mortuary chapels, for members of the Church of England, Nonconformists and Catholics.
There are Charities of £60 yearly value, distributed among the poor on St. Thomas’ day in money and clothing, by two representatives of the eight original hamlets of Glossop Dale.
Here are cotton manufactories, and in the neighbourhood, calico printing establishments and paper mills: some of the former, and especially those of Messrs. John Wood and Brothers limited, and of Mr Francis J. Sumner, are amongst the largest in the kingdom, employing in ordinary times from 5,000 to 6,000 workpeople. The first cotton mill was erected about the year 1784, but previously to this a few woollen factories and fulling mills had been in operation ; one of these, The Gnathole mill, now covered with ivy, with quaint old diamond shaped window panes still remains.
At Dinting Vale are perhaps the largest calico printing works in the United Kingdom, developed by the skill and energy of Mr. E. Potter.
Here are two newspapers, published on Saturday.
The County Magistrates meet once in three weeks; the Borough Magistrates every Monday, in the Town Hall, which, with the Market House, considerably enlarged in 1854, forms a handsome pile of buildings.
There are Conservative and Liberal clubs, a Coffee tavern and a Catholic club, each having news and recreation rooms, and the latter a library.
Hurst brook and Whitfield brook, two feeders of the Etherow, take their rise on the adjacent moors, the water of the latter possessing bleaching properties, which is taken advantage of by the works at Charlestown. There are quarries producing building and paving stone.
The principal market day is Saturday. Fairs are held on the 6th May, also the first Wednesday on or after the 10th day of October, for the sale of horses, cattle &c.
The Cottage Hospital, initiated by Lady Howard, has accommodation for six patients, under the care of a trained nurse: the existing building was adapted to its present use at the expense of Lord Howard of Glossop, who has placed it at the disposal of the town for five years, under the management of a committee of ladies and gentlemen: the funds of the hospital are raised by subscription, a small weekly charge being made upon the patients.
Glossop Hall, the seat of the Right Hon. Lord Howard of Glossop, is a noble building, in the French château style of the eighteenth century, and stands on gently rising ground above Howard Town, surrounded by trees: it was much enlarged and improved by the late Henry Charles, 13th Duke of Norfolk, father of the present owner.
The town and hamlets now comprising the manor of Glossop, in the Domesday book of Edward the Confessor, appear to have been divided into several parts among different Saxon proprietors: thus Glossop itself belongs to Levine, Dinting to Levintot, Charlesworth and Chisworth to Swen, evidently a Dane, Ludworth to Bran, Chunal to Eilmer &c.: in the Domesday book of William the Conqueror, the whole of Glossop is put down as forfeited to the Crown : he afterwards gave it to his natural son, William Peveril, his son Richard however being disinherited by Henry I. for the crime of poisoning the Earl of Cheshire, GIossop was again confiscated to the Crown : Henry II, in 1157, gave Glossop and the advowson of the church there to the Abbey of Basingwerke, “in free and perpetual alms for ever” and this abbey had acquired before the fifteenth century nearly all the hamlets now comprising the Glossop estate; Glossop remained the property of Basingwerke Abbey till the dissolution of the lesser abbeys in 1536, when Henry VIII seized it with other conventual property and afterwards granted it to the Earl of Shrewsbury, who in turn exchanged it with the Duke of Norfolk for estates in Ireland, and in this noble family it has remained to the present time: the present proprietor and lord of the manor is the Rt. Hon. Lord Howard, uncle to the present Duke of Norfolk.
The Right Hon. Lord Howard of Glossop is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The land is partly moor and pasturage. The acreage is 49,960; rateable value, £17,486, being one of the largest parishes in England ; the population of the township in 1881 was 6,153 ; the population within the municipal borough in 1831 was 19,574.
Parish Clerk, James Winterbottom.

Hadfield is a township and large village, on the borders of Cheshire, within the borough of Glossop, 2 miles north-west from Glossop, and, with the adjoining township of Padfield, forms the ecclesiastical parish of St. Andrew’s, or chapelry of Hadfield, having a station on the Manchester and Sheffield railway, in the hundred of High Peak union, parish and county court district of Glossop. The church of St. Andrew is a modern Gothic building, consecrated July 4th, 1874, and consisting of chancel, nave, south transept, baptistery, and a bell turret with 1 bell: the chancel is enclosed on either side by a screen, and has an organ chamber on the south, the east end forming a hexagonal apse, lighted by two stained windows : the nave is lighted chiefly from the west end, besides large dormer windows high up in the roof, serving also as ventilators: at the west end, near the entrance and within an arched recess, is the baptistery, containing a font worked in native stone and presented to the church by Mr. James Sherriff, of Christ Church, Canterbury, New Zealand, and formerly of Hadfield, it having previously obtained a second prize at the Colonial exhibition, Victoria : a richly embroidered communion cloth has been contributed by the vicar, and the cost of credence-table defrayed by Mr. Braddock, churchwarden : a new organ with three manuals and grand pedal organ, has been also erected at a cost of about £650, by James Sidebottom esq. J.P. of Arrowscroft House, Hadfield, as a memorial to his late wife; organist, James C. Eastham : the total cost of the church has been about £4,000. The register of baptisms dates from July 5th, 1874, and of marriages from August, 1875. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £240, in the gift of five trustees and held by the Rev. Joseph Hadfield, of St. Bees. Here are a Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a Catholic chapel (towards the erection of which the Right Hon. Lord Howard of Glossop gave £5,000) containing many valuable paintings. There are also several cotton mills, in which the population are employed, and political clubs with news and amusement rooms. Hadfield Hall, the ancient mansion of the family of that name, dating from 1646, is now converted into a couple of cottages : some years ago the handsome black oak carving was taken down and erected in Glossop Hall, the seat of Lord Howard. The township contains 357 acres; rateable value £7,122 ; the population in 1881 was 3,449.

Post, Money Order &.Telegraph Office & Savings Bank. - Squire Garlick, postmaster. - Letters received via Manchester. Delivery, 7.30 a.m. & 5.10 p.m.; dispatch,.
11 a.m. 1.15 p.m. & 7.30 p.m. Sunday delivery 8.30 a.m dispatched 7.15 p.m. Money orders granted & paid & Savings Bank business transacted from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m.; on Saturdays till 8 p.m

Insurance Agents :—
Standard Life.—G. E. Cox, Rose cottage, Hollincross lane, Glossop
Westminster Fire & Life, W. S. Wright (fire only), Station road, Hadfield

Padfield is a township adjoining Hadfield station, 1½ miles north-west from Glossop, and partly within that borough, in the hundred of High Peak, parish, union and county court district of Glossop, included with Hadfield in the ecclesiastical parish of St. Andrew’s. A Wesleyan chapel to seat 400 persons, with Sunday school attached, has been erected at a cost of £2,000. The population are employed in the cotton mills. The acreage is 643; rateable value, £11,168 ; the population in 1871 was 1,687 and in 1881, 2,485. Letters through Hadfield. Wall Letter Box cleared at 8.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; on Sundays at 9.30 a.m.

Whitfield is a township giving its name to a new parish or ecclesiastical district, constituted under Sir Robert Peel's Act of 1844, one mile south from Glossop, and partly within the borough, in the hundred of High Peak, parish, county court district and union of Glossop, rural deanery of Castleton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Lichfield. The new pariah originally contained the whole of the townships of Chunal, Dinting and Hadfield, and parts of the townships of Glossop, Whitfield and Padfield, but since February 3,1872, when the present incumbent was instituted, the churches of St. Andrew at Hadfield, and of the Holy Trinity, in Dinting Vale, have been built and consecrated, and the townships of Hadfield and Dinting, with parts of the townships of Padfield, Glossop and Whitfield, have been legally assigned to them : the last severance is recorded in the “London Gazette” of February 14th, 1879, and from that date the new parish of St. James has comprised the township of Chunal and parts of the townships of Glossop and Whitfield, the population being about 7,000, or a little more than half what it was in 1872. The church of St. James is a handsome building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and a tower with spire at the north-west angle, containing 1 bell; the nave and aisles being covered by a single span roof, though the well-moulded stone pillars which separate them suggest the idea that a clerestory was once included in the plans : the chancel is wider than it is long, and the vestry is inconveniently small; a staircase to the gallery has, on the other hand, been built so substantially at the south-west angle, that it is capable of hearing a second spire, and this would complete a west front of exceptional beauty: a peal of eight bells and a clock are already in contemplation: the organ, erected in 1860, is particularly fine and was enlarged in 1879 and 1880: a handsome brass eagle lectern has recently been presented by Miss Wood, of Whitfield House. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £333 6s 8d. gross, nett £275, with residence, in the gift of Daniel Wood esq. Samuel Wood esq. and Mrs. Emma Wood and is held by the Rev. Charles Bruce Ward M.A. of Oriel College, Oxford : W. R. Fairclough F.C.O. MUS. BAC. Dublin, is organist. The parsonage house is a stone building, contiguous to the church, and has been considerably enlarged since 1872. There are two Wesleyan and two Congregational chapels. The Right Hon. Lord Howard of Glossop is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The inhabitants are employed in the large cotton and paper mills just outside the township, and in the bleach works within its boundaries. The soil is various; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are oats, hay and pasture. The acreage is 1,577 ; rateable value, £11,724; the population in 1881 was 6,320.
Charlestown is a place here.
Wall Letter Box cleared at 9 a.m. & 7 p.m.; on Sunday, 6.15 p.m

Chunal is a township, 2 miles south from Glossop, and partly within that borough, in the hundred of High Peak, parish, union and county court district of Glossop, and in the ecclesiastical parish of Whitfield. The acreage is 885; rateable value, £689 ; gross rental, £789 ; the population in 1881 was 98.

Dinting is also a township of this parish, forming part of the ecclesiastical district of Dinting Vale, which was formed in 1879; and. being partly also in the borough of Glossop, 11¾ miles from Manchester, on the Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire railway, which has a station here. Calico printing forms the chief source of employment. The church of the Holy Trinity, opened July, 3875, and erected by the liberality of the Wood family of Glossop, is a stone building in the later style of the thirteenth century, and consists of apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, an organ chamber, forming a transept on the south side, a vestry on the north side of the chancel, and a tower 18 feet square, rising from the west end of the south aisle, with angle buttresses tapering upwards, and terminating in pinnacles ; the tower is surmounted by an octagonal spire, the whole reaching a height of 137 feet to the top of the vane, and contains 6 bells: the interior dimensions of the church are-total length of nave and choir 74 feet by 26½ feet; height, 49½ feet; north and south aisles 74 feet and 60 feet long respectively, 8½ feet wide and 20 feet high; chancel, including apse, 28 feet by 18 feet, and organ chamber 16 feet by 13 feet: in the western gable is a circular window, 13 feet diameter, with filate tracery : the entrance to the church is by a porch under the tower, with another door on the north side of the nave available in case of emergency ; the nave is divided from the aisles by circular stone piers,with moulded caps and bases, and the wails lined with cream coloured bricks relieved by bands of brown,the arches and window jambs being of the same material : the choir opens into the nave by an archway 16 feet wide and 24 feet high, with stone moulded jambs, carved caps and richly-moulded arch: the pulpit is of oak, and the reading desks and seats of pitch pine varnished : the chancel roof has groined moulding, ribs filled with boarding, varnished, and is supported on stone corbels, with carved bosses at the apex : the central window of the apse is a memorial to John H. Wood esq. who died 16th December, 1869, and was placed by his widow: the font., also presented by Mrs. Wood, is in an arched recess at the west end of the south aisle, and is of bath stone on a shaft of red marble: the building will seat about 530. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £290 with residence, in the gift of Mrs. Wood and D. and G. Wood esqs. and held by the Rev. Charles Sutcliffe, appointed as the first vicar, December 29th, 1875. The area is 586 acres; rateable value, £5,588 ; the population in 1881 was 983.

Brookfield is a place 1 mile north of Dinting station. Here is a cotton mill.

Gamesley is a place 1 mile west of Dinting station, with a spring mattress manufactory. In the hamlet of Gamesley are the remains of a Roman camp, called by the country people from time immemorial Melandra, and “Melandra Castle” it stands on a bold eminence at the confluence of the Course Brook and the Etherow, and traces of walls and gates may be plainly discerned: tablets inscribed to Roman emperors, coins of the Emperor Domitian, a large sword and other objects of archaeological interest have been found here from time to time: the summit is still called “The Castle Yard,” and a village tradition exists that Melandra was one of the strongholds of the ancient British in the time of the Saxon invasion. On an opposite hill, called “Mousley” is the site of another traditional castle. Some stones which came from Mousley Castle, inscribed with rude hieroglyphics, are still to be seen walled into the gable end of a house at Hadfield, and are evidently Runic. Both Melandra and Mousley, it may be remarked, lie on the iter or Roman road from the Camp of Mancunium (Manchester) to that of Ad Petuarium (Brough, near Castleton).

Official Establishments, Local Institutions &c.
Post & Money Order & Telegraph Office, Savings Bank & Government Insurance & Annuity; Office, Norfolk square.—Miss Betty Kaye Woodhead, post mistress. Letters arrive via Manchester at 6 a.m. 2.45 p.m. & 5 p.m.; dispatched to Manchester & all parts at 10 a.m. 1.20 p.m. & 7.35 p.m. Money order office & post office savings bank open from 9 to 6; on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Telegraph office open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m

COUNTY MAGISTRATES-
Edmund Potter esq, Thomas H. Sidebottom esq, Francis J. Sumner esq, John Wood esq, Samuel Wood esq, W H Turner esq, Thomas Rhodes esq, Frederick Buckley esq, William Shepley esq.
Petty Sessions are held every three weeks
Clerk to the Magistrates, Thos. Michael Ellison, Ellison st
The following places are included in the division:—Glossop, Mellor, Charlesworth, Ludworth, Chisworth, Simmondley, Marple Bridge, Chunal & Compstall Bridge

BOROUGH MAGISTRATES-
Joseph Stafford esq, Francis J. Sumner esq, Samuel Wood esq, William Shepley esq, Frederick Buckley esq, Thomas Rhodes esq, Jas. Sidebottom esq. (Mayor), Samuel Rowbottom esq, James Shepley esq, Edward Platt esq.
Clerk T. M. Ellison.
The Magistrates meet at the Town Hall every Monday

CORPORATION.
Mayor—James Sidebottom esq. J.P.
Aldermen: James Shepley, Edward Woolley, Samuel Rowbottom, Joseph Stafford, Henry Buckley, James Sidebottom .
Councillors.
All Saints Ward.
Joseph Buckley, Joshua Beeley, John Walton, John Hadfield, John Mellor, John Rowbottom
St. James’ Ward.
Samuel Wood, George Wilson, John Charlesworth, Cyrus Garside, Timothy Holroyd, Thomas Hampson
Hadfield Ward.
John Roberts, James Wood, James Sargentson jun, William Dawson, William Sidebottom, William S. Rhodes

Officers of the Corporation and Urban Sanitary Authority.
Town Clerk, Thomas Michael Ellison, Ellison street
Medical Officer, James Rhodes, Victoria street
Public Analyst, J. Carter Bell, Manchester
Surveyor, James Nuttall, Sheffield road
Superintendent of Waterworks, John Garner, Ellison st
Head Constable, William Henry Hodgson
Inspector of Police, Ernest Charlton
Inspector of Nuisances, Samuel Dane, Town hall
Collector, George Williamson, Market street

INSURANCE AGENTS
Guardian, H. E. Evasion, Norfolk street
Hand-in-Hand, T. A. Pettit, Howard street
London, G. B. Cox, Rose cottage, Hollin Cross lane
London & Staffordshire Fire, J. Hall, High street west; Mellor & Higginbottom, Hollin Cross lane & 42 High street west; & T. A. Pettit, Howard street
Phoenix Fire, Higginbotham & Lees, Norfolk square
Royal fire & Life, L. Pennington, 57 Norfolk street
Standard Life, G. E. Cox, Rose cottage, Hollin Cross lane

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.
Borough Police Office, Ellison street, William Henry Hodgson, head constable - Ernest Charlton, inspector
Burial Board, Ellison street, Thos. Michael Ellison, clerk
Cemetery.
Cheshire & Derbyshire Rifle Volunteers (4th) (L, M & N, Companies); head-quarters of Derbyshire Co. Town hall, Wm. Sidebottom, capt. commandant; Edward Partington & Frederick Buckley, capts.; Dr. Bennett, surgeon
Cottage Hospital (Albert Andrew, Mathias Butler, Duncan John Mackenzie & James Rhodes, medical officers), St. Mary’s road
County Court, Thomas Ellison esq. judge; John Hibbert, registrar & high bailiff; Robert Murray, assistant registrar & deputy high bailiff; office, Norfolk square, open from 10 to 4; on Saturdays from 10 till 1. The County Court is held at the Town Hall, and comprises : the following parishes :—Armfield & district of Tintwistle, Brownside, Charlesworth, Chisworth, Chinley, Chunal, Dinting, Gamesley, Glossop, Hadfield, Hayfield, Hollingworth,Kinder, Padfield, Rhodes, Phoside, Rowarth, Salter brook, Simmondley, Torside, Waterside, Whitfield, Woodhead, and Wooley Bridge
Gas Company, Arundel street, James Dalgleish, manager; Peter Sidebottom, collector
Inland Revenue Office, Hollin Cross lane, Alfred Joseph Sims, officer
Town Hall, High street west
Water Works, John Garner, superintendent; G. Williamson, collector

PUBLIC OFFICERS.
Clerk to the Commissioners of Turnpike Roads, Michael Joseph Ellison, Norfolk street
Inspector of Weights Measures & chief constable, Wm. Henry Hodgson; police office, Ellison street
Surveyor of Turnpike Roads, Charles John Hadfield, Norfolk street
Stamp Distributor, Henry Kinder, High street west

Glossop Union.
Glossop union comprises the following places:—Charlesworth, Chisworth, Chunal, Dinting, Glossop or Glossop Dale, Hadfield, Ludworth, Padfield, Simmondley, & Whitfield; rateable value of the union £59,941
Board day every alternate Wednesday, at 3 p.m.
Clerk to Guardians, T. S. Bowden, Wellgate
Assistant Overseer, E. Hadfield, Ellison street .
Collector, E. Hadfield, Ellison street
Relieving Officer, John Wood Bowden, Fitzalan street
Vaccination Officer, T. S. Bowden, Wellgate
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, W. H. Hunt, Norfolk street & James Rhodes, 25 Victoria street
Superintendent Registrar of Births, Deaths Marriages, T. S. Bowden, Wellgate
Workhouse, John Beeley, master; W. H. Hunt, surgeon; Mrs. Mary Beeley, matron

Rural Sanitary Authority.
Clerk, T. S. Bowden, Wellgate
Medical Officer, W. H. Hunt, Norfolk street
Inspector of Nuisances, Samuel Dane, Town hall

PLACES OF WORSHIP.
Parish Church, Rev. John Dickenson Knowles m,a. Vicar
Holy Trinity, Dinting, Rev. Charles Sutcliffe, vicar
St. James' Church, Whitfield, Rev. Charles Bruce Ward M.A. vicar; Rev. Alfred George, curate
St. Andrew’s, Hadfield, Rev. Joseph Hadfield, vicar
All Saints’ Catholic Chapel, Rev. Canon Charles W. Tasker & Rev. Henry Koerfer, priests
Congregational Chapel, Littlemoor, Rev. Geo. Sadler
Congregational Chapel, St. Mary’s road, Rev. James Kendal Kirby
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Shrewsbury street, Rev. Edward Cairns
Reformers’ Chapel, Howard st., Rev, Alexander Holland
Reformers’ Chapel, Whitfield
United Methodist Free Church Tabernacle, Hall street, Rev. Isaac Ambler
Unitarian Chapel, Fitzalan street, Rev. Wm. Harrison
Wesleyan Chapel, High street, Rev. Samuel Birt Coley & Mark Potter Gilbert, ministers
Wesleyan Chapel, Whitfield

SCHOOLS
Endowed, Old Glossop, with master’s residence, built & endowed by Henry, 13th Duke of Norfolk, has 300 scholars, Arthur Henry Roberts, master; Mrs. Anne Roberts, mistress Endowed, Whitfield, founded in 1778 by Joseph Hague esq. of Park Hall, in the parish of Hayfield, & endowed with £39 per annum, Walter P. Evason, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Evason, mistress
Catholic (mixed), Sisters of St. Paul
Catholic, Infants’, St. Mary’s road
Congregational, King street, Miss Martha Dyas
Infants’, Waterside, Hadfield, Mrs. Ellen Shaw, mistress
National, Dinting, John Howard, master
National, Hadfield (mixed), is a good building of stone, Alfred Walker, master
National, Talbot street, Miss Mary Jane Ingham, mistress
National, Whitfield, George Edward Cox, master; Mrs. Sarah Jane Cox, mistress
Wesleyan, High street, James Parker, master; Mrs. Maria Parker, mistress
Wesleyan, Old Glossop, John Fisher, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Fisher
Wesleyan, Hadfield, John William Rathmell, master

RAILWAY STATIONS.
Glossop, Thomas William Melbourne, station master
Dinting, William Charlesworth, station master
Hadfield, Richard Brotherton, station master

Glossop.
Private residents.
Ambler Rev. Isaac [United Methodist Free Church], 41 Sheffield road
Andrew Albert, 14 High street west
Armitage Mrs. 41 Norfolk street
Beard Samuel, 35 Norfolk Street
Booth Mrs. 83 Hall street
Bowden Mrs. 2 Wesley street
Bowden William, 102 St. Mary’s road
Bradbury Edwin, Mill Moor terrace, Pikes lane
Bramall Edward, 26 Hollin Cross lane
Buckley Frederick J.P. Hurst
Butler Mathias, Norfolk square
Cairns Rev. Edward [Primitive Methodist], Shrewsbury street
Chapman Francis, 43 Norfolk street
Chappell John, 24 Hollin Cross lane
Coley Rev. Samuel Birt [Wesleyan], Alexander villa
Cook Samuel, 51 Norfolk street
Cox George Edward, Rose cottage, Hollin Cross lane
Ellison Thomas Michael, Ryecroft house, Hall street
Fisher John, 53 Hall Street
Fothergill Thomas, 100 St. Mary’s rd
Gilbert Rev. Mark Potter [Wesleyan], Alexander villa
George Rev. Alfred [curate], Lord st
Greaves Charles, 39 Norfolk street
Hadfield Charles, 100 St. Mary’s road
Hadfield Charles John, Holly mount, Norfolk street
Hadfield Henry, Cowbrook
Hadfield John, jun. Cowbrook
Hadfield Misses, Lees hall, Turn lee
Hall James, 16 Hollin Cross lane
Hall William, 67 Norfolk street
Hampson Joseph, 5 Bank street
Hampson Thomas, Highfield house
Harrison Rev. Wm. [Unitarian], Lord st
Hatch Thomas, 53 Norfolk street
Hawke Francis, Spire Hollin
Holdgate Mrs. 20 Gladstone street
Holland Rev. Alexander [Wesleyan Reform Union], Gladstone street
Hollingbery W. H. Norfolk square
Howard of Glossop Lord D.L. Glossop hl
Howe Misses, Ryefield, Hall street
Howe Rowland, Ryefield, Hall street
Hunt William, Cowbrook cottage
Hunt William Henry, Norfolk street
Hunter Thomas Pearson, Talbot road
Hurst William. 39 Sheffield road
Kelly James, 37 Norfolk street
Kershaw Miss, Slatelands
Kirby Rev. James Kendal [Congregational], 27 Norfolk street
Knowles Rev. John Dickenson M.A. [vicar], Vicarage
Koerfer Rev. Hy. [Catholic], Royle ho
Mackenzie Duncan John, High street
Mellor Mrs. 22 Hollin Cross lane
Merry James, 86 St. Mary’s road
Moran Mrs. 19 Norfolk street
Parker James, 98 St. Mary’s road
Partington Edward, Hollin house
Pennington Levi,57 Norfolk street
Perry Robert, 14 Hollin Cross lane
Pott Mrs. Spire Hollin
Rhodes James, Victoria street
Robinson Ralph Bernard, 23 Arundel st
Robinson Samuel, Holly bank
Rowbottom John, 1 Shepley street
Rowbottom Samuel J.P. 35 Hall street
Rusby Rev. William H. L. Hurst
Sadler Rev. George [Congregational], Littlemoor manse
Shepley James, Shepley street
Shepley Miss
Sheppard Robert, 23 Norfolk street
Smith Thomas, 45 Norfolk street
Stafford Joseph J.P. Norfolk street Sumner Fras. James D.L., J.P. [high sheriff of Derbyshire], East view, High st. east; & at Park hall, Little Hayfield, Stockport
Tasker Rev. Canon Chas. W. [Catholic], Royle house
Thorp Walter, 3 Bank street
Thorpe William, 96 St. Mary’s road
Tweeddale Mrs. 29 Norfolk street
Unwin Mrs. 20 Gladstone street
Wagstaffe Mrs. 37 Sheffield road
Walton John, Moorside
Ward Rev. C. Bruce M.A. [vicar], Whitfield
Waterhouse Mrs. 65 Norfolk street
Wood Daniel, Moorfield
Wood John B.A. Whitfield house
Wood Mrs. Whitfield house
Wood Samuel J.P. Talbot house
Wragg Samuel, 63 Norfolk street
Wyatt William, Charlestown villa
Commercial.
Andrew Albert, physician,14 High st. we
Armitage Chas. Hy. grocer. 93 High st. we
Armitage John, draper, 84 High st. we
Armitage John, jun. fruiterer, 82 High street west
Armitage John Thomas,coal merchant, 77 Norfolk street & Railway street
Arnold Ralph, coal mer. Railway yard
Arrowsmith Jas. clog & patten maker, 132 High street west
Ashcroft Mary (Mrs.), milliner & dress maker, 132 Victoria street
Ashton Geo. drpr. & grcr. 8 Gladstone st
Ashton Robert, joiner, 14 Wood st
Atkin William Edward, coal merchant, 48 St. Mary’s road & Railway yard
Atkinson Mary (Mrs.), beer retailer & builder, Old cross
Atkinson Wm. grocer, 113 High st. we
Bagshaw John, wheelwright, Manor st
Bamforth & Barber, milliners, Shrewsbury street
Bamforth William, shpkpr. 11 Freetown
Band Charles Downs, mason & builder, 90 High street east
Barber& Scholes, furniture dealers, High street west
Barber Albert, watch maker & dentist, Town Hall buildings
Barber Albert, hair dresser & umbrella maker, 6 Norfolk street
Barber Alice (Miss), confectioner, 92 High street west
Barber James, shopkpr. 17 Hope st
Barker Luke, sand grinder, Pikes lane
Barnes James & Son, drapers & milliners, 31 High street west
Barnes William, grocer & corn dealer, 65 High street west
Barratt Jane (Mrs.), milliner, 73 High street east
Barton Joseph, clogger, 62 Kershaw st
Bates Harriet (Mrs.), tripe dresser,102 High street west & 13 Hadfield place
Bates Walter, printer & stationer, 102 High street west & 13 Hadfield place. See advertisement
Batty George, joiner, 57 Chapel st
Beard James, farmer, Whitfield moor
Beard Jn. draper & milliner,3 High st. we
Beard Sl. shoe ma. 17 Gladstone street
Beckett Benj. artist, Mount Pleasant
Beeley James, farmer, Moorfield
Beeley Jas. Howard Arms,17 High st. ea
Beeley Joshua, yeoman, Moorfield
Beeley Robert, yeoman, Moorfield
Bennett James, joiner, 1 Cliff road
Bennett Joseph, farmer, 16 Hague st
Bennett Robert, pork butcher, Victoria street
Bennett Robert, shopkpr. 28 Freetown
Bennett William, butcher, 6 Bennett’s fold, Sheffield road
Bentley Joseph, farmer, Heath
Benton William, stonemason, Princes st
Beresford Charles, Queen's Arms, & musical instrument dler. 1 Shepley st
Berry Joshua, coal dealer, 25 High st. east & Railway yard
Blackwell Samuel, brass &iron founder, George street
Boardman William Hyde, shoeing & jobbing smith, 85 Hall street
Booth Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 84 Charlestown road
Booth James, farmer, Hobroyd
Booth John, beer retailer, 14 Milltown
Booth John, shopkeeper, 25 Arundel st
Bottomley Win. Hy. grcr. 11 High st. ea
Bowden Geo. pork butcher, 8 Victoria st
Bowden Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 12 High street east
Bowden Joe, shpkpr. 126 St. Mary’s rd
Bowden John, hardware dealer & tripe dresser, 1 Collier street
Bowden John Wood, relieving officer, 1 Fitzalan street
Bowden Joseph, shopkpr. 36 Church st
Bowden Samuel, farmer, Heath
Bowden Samuel, shpkpr. 199 High st. ea
Bowden Thomas Swindells, superintendent registrar & registrar of births, deaths & marriages, clerk to the guardians & vaccination officer, Wellgate
Bowden Wm. joiner & builder Bernard st
Bowden William Henry, joiner & builder, 7 Talbot street
Bowker Wm. dry soap mnftr. Bank st
Bradbury Charles, butcher, 139 Victoria street
Bradbury George, grocer & corn dealer, 339 High street west
Bradbury Martha (Mrs.), grocer, 1 Charlestown road
Bradbury Rbt. hair dresser, 6 Victoria st
Bradbury William, painter, plumber, paper hanger & decorator, Norfolk square. See advertisement
Braddock Eli, draper, 59 High st. east
Braddock Robert, confectioner & tea dealer, 68 High street west
Bradley Geo. beer rtlr. 5 Bernard st
Bradley Henry ,Market hotel, Market st
Brain Elizabeth (Mrs.), draper, 28 High street west
Brain Hy. Wm. watch ma. 28 High st. we
Bramhall Richd. irnmngr. 86 High st. we
Bramhall Thomas, beer rtlr. Market st
Bramhall Wm. beer rtlr. 64 Chapel st
Bramwell Luke, confctnr. 98 High st. we
Bramwell Thomas, confectioner, 197 High street west
Bridge Hannah & Sarah (Misses), 211 High street east
Bridge Thomas, beer retailer, 2 Arundel st
Broadhurst Joseph, shpkpr. 106 Gladstone street
Brook Anna Margaret (Miss), dress maker, 67 High street east
Bruckshaw John,shpkpr. 25 Norfolk st
Bruckshaw John Henry, music teacher, 25 Norfolk street
Buckley Frdk. cotton spinnr. Hurst mills
Buckley Joseph, pawnbroker, Town Hall buildings
Buckley Margaret (Mrs.), beer retailer, 120 Charlestown
Buckley William, slater & plasterer, 23 Mount street. See advertisement
Bunting Jsph. hair drssr. 13 Victoria st
Bunting Joseph Hague, photographer, 120 Victoria street
Butler Mathias, surgeon, Norfolk sq
Buttery John, editor & manager of the Chronicle Printing Co. 14 Princes st
Buxton Bennett, farmer, Jumble
Buxton James, farmer, Cross cliffe
Buxton Wm. farmer, Whitfield Barn
Catholic Club (William Fernley,sec.), Arundel street
Cemetery (Thomas Michael Ellison, clerk to the burial board), Ellison st
Chadwick Joel, butcher, 234 High st. we
Chadwick John, grocer & draper, 329 High st. we & pawnbroker, 4 Cross st
Charlesworth & Haigh, builders, St. Mary’s road
Charlesworth Jn. builder, Shrewsbury st
Charlton Ernest, inspector of borough police, police office, Ellison street
Cheshire & Derbyshire Rifle Volunteers (4th) (L, M&N Companies) (Wm. Sidebottom, capt. commdnt.; Edwd. Partington & Fredk. Buckley, captns.; Dr. Bennett, surgeon; Sergeant-Instructor Rae), headquarters, 1 Town hall
Clarke George, shpkpr. 184High st. we
Cluskey Edward,shpkpr. 273 High st. we
Cockayne Geo. whlwright. Primrose la
Cockcroft Grnwd. clggr. 21 Victoria st
Coe Joseph, dentist, 36 Norfolk street
Cohen Simeon, jeweller, 88 High st. we
Collier Charles, grocer & corn dealer, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants, 5 High street west
Collier Jas. fishmonger, 34 High st. we
Collier Joseph, Norfolk Arms hotel posting house
Collier SI. Rose & Crown, High st. we
Collier William, shopkpr. 10 Chapel st
Collinge James, Grapes, 335 High st. we
Collins Henry, cotton spinner, see T. P. Sykes & Sons
Connor Patrick, beer rtlr. 24 Arundel st
Cook Martha (Miss), farmer, Heath
Cooke John, hatter, 63 High street we
Cooper Moses & Son, tailors & drapers, 24 High street east
Cooper Cephas, shoe maker, Edward st
Cooper Jn. beer retailer, 277 High st. we
Cooper John,umbrella ma. 44 High st. ea
Cottage Hospital (Albert Andrew, Mathias Butler, Duncan John Mackenzie & Jas. Rhodes, medical officers), St. Mary’s road
County Court Office (Thomas Ellison esq. judge; John Hibbert, registrar & high bailiff; Robert Murray, assistant registrar & deputy high bailiff), Norfolk square
Craigh Elizabeth (Miss), dress maker, 21 Norfolk street
Cresswell Joseph, grocer & draper, 81 High street east
Crompton & Elliott, cabinet makers & undertakers, 26 High st. we. & Surrey st
Crossland William Henry, shopkeeper, 16 Hall street
Cuthbert John,tobacconist, 80 High st. we
Dalgliesh James, gas works manager, 84 St. Mary’s road
Dane Samuel, inspector of nuisances, Shrewsbury street
Darwent John, ironmonger, gas & water fitter, 7 Victoria street
Darwent Luke, farmer, Bitten hill
Davis Charles, solicitor, 6 Market st
Dearnaley John, shopkeepr. 9 Chapel st
Dearnaley Thos. ironmonger & blacksmith, 125 High street west
Denham Daniel, stone merchant, 11 Hope street. See advertisement
Denton Eli, grocer, 110 St. Mary’s rd
Dixon Geo. Hy. shopkeeper, 34 Edward st
Dixon John, coal dealer, 183 High street east & Railway yard
Dixon William, butcher, 100 High st. we
Doodson George, drapr. 76 High st. we
Downing William, grocer, 8 Norfolk st
Downs David, furniture dealer, 83 Gladstone street
Downs Joseph, clogger, 1 Victoria st
Downs Joseph, draper & milliner, The Bazaar, 59 High street west
Drinkwater John, umbrella maker, 191 High street west
Dutton James, shopkeeper, 6 Wellgate
Dutton Tom, painter, plumber & glazier, & Junction inn, High street west
Dyas Edwd. Cabint. mkr. 1A, Gladstone st
Dyson Robert,coal dealer, 154 Victoria st
Earnshaw & Bamforth, builders, Whitfield cross
Earnshaw Jonathan,beer retailer, Whitfield Cross
Eldread William Sergus & Son, bill posters, 29 Chapel street. See advt
Ellis Michael, stone mason, 44 Surrey st
Ellison Thomas Michael, solicitor & clerk to magistrates &c town clerk & clerk to the burial Board, Ellison st
Ernill Cephas, furniture broker, Pike’s lane & Commercial inn, Charlestown
Ernill Ralph, coal agent, 3 Pikes lane
Evason Henry Edward, cashier at Lord Howard’s estate office, 59 Norfolk st
Evason Mary Anne (Miss), ladies’ school, 103 Victoria street
Eversden William, grocer, 2 Railway st
Fairclough Walter P. professor of music, Pikes lane
Field Henry, umbrella maker, 24 Charlestown road
Field William, boot & shoe maker, 22 Charlestown road
Fielding Charles, builder & stone dealer, 21 Whitfield cross
Fielding Christopher, mill manager, 71 Norfolk street
Fielding Enoch, watch & clock maker, 24 High street west
Fielding George, grocer, 14 Old Cross
Fielding James, fruiterer, 21 Norfolk st
Fielding James, shopkeeper, Queen st
Fielding Saml. coal merchant, Railwy. yd
Fielding Walter, coal merchant, 75 Norfolk street & Railway Yard
Fielding Wm. grocer, 12 & 32 High st. we
Firth Joshua & Son, bill posters, 13 Shrewsbury street
Fisher Charles, painter, 1 Surrey st
Fletcher Jsph. Manor Inn,17 High st. ea
Foden John, fishmonger, 4 Milltown
Ford John, auctioneer & beer retailer, 24 High street west
Ford Joseph, shopkeeper, 63 Gladstone st
Foster Robert, clogger, 61 High st. east
Fothergill Eliza (Miss), ladies’ school, 100 St. Mary’s road
Fowley Joseph, nail maker, 4 Church st
Foy Anthony, fishmonger, Victoria st
France Geo. shopkeeper, 78 Victoria st
France Jas. butcher, 139 High st. west
France Joseph, grocer, 123 High st. west
Freemasons’ Lodge( Devonshire) (Wm. Fielding, tyler), Norfolk Arms hotel
Freetown Working Men’s Institute (Edwin Greenwood, sec)
Frost Thomas Benjamin, Crown inn, 168 Victoria street
Garlick Joseph, grocer & corn dealer, 40 High street east
Garside Charles, shopkeeper, Princes st
Garside Cyrus, timber, slate, tile & iron merchant, Glossop saw mills, Surrey street. See advertisement
Garside John, farmer, Hague street
Garside Joseph, farmer, Lees Hall farm, Turn Lee
Garside William, farmer, Hurst Nook
Gas Co. (James Dalgliesh, manager), Arundel street
Gaskell Peter joiner, George street Gerard Danl. Surrey Arms, Victoria st
Gill James, oil & tallow dealer, Rose Green cottage, Sheffield road
Gilleat Robert, cotton waste spinner, Primrose mill
Glossop Brewery Co. Whitfield Cross
Glossop Coffee Palace Co. (Charles Hall, sec.), High street west
Glossop Conservative Club (William Sheppard, sec.), 26 Norfolk street
Glossop Cricket Club (John Thorpe, sec.), 157 High street west
Glossop Dale Chronicle & North Derbyshire Reporter (Chronicle Printing Co. proprietors), Norfolk st
Glossop Dale New Industrial Cooperative Society (William Walton, sec.), Norfolk square
Glossop Dale Poultry Show (John Hurst & William McMellon, jun. Secs)
Glossop Dale Savings Bank (Charles John Hadfield, actuary), open on Saturdays, 12 a.m. till 1 p.m. & 6 to 7 p.m. Town hall
Glossop Ironworks Co. Limited ( Alfred Taylor, manager), Surrey street
Glossop Liberal Club (Josiah Mellor, sec.), Henry street
Goddard Ann (Miss), dress maker, 27 Hague street
Goddard Jas. stonemason, 27 Hague st
Goddard Jn. Edwn. fruitr. 96 High st. we
Goddard John, farmer & beer retailer, 21 Charlestown road
Goddard Joseph, fruiterer & furniture remover, 114 High street west
Goodwin Jehu, joiner, 2 Church street
Goodwin Wm. news agent, 23 High st. we
Graves Geo. confectioner, 46 High st. we
Grayson Benjamin, joiner & builder, 14 Gladstone street
Green Eli, grocer, 70 Freetown
Greenwood Edwin, sec. to the Freetown Working Men’s Institute,12 Pike’s la
Greenwood John, stone mer. Old Cross
Hadfield Charles, farmer, 8 Hague st
Hadfield Charles John. surveyor & valuer & actuary of savings bank, 40 Norfolk st
Hadfield Eli, grocer, 105 High st. east
Hadfield Eli, warehouseman. Lord st
Hadfield James, farmer, Hall street
Hadfield John, cotton spinner, Cowbrook mill
Hadfield John, grocer, 56 High st. west & 98 Station road, Hadfield
Hadfield Joseph, fruiterer. Norfolk st
Hadfield Joseph, shoe maker,84 Freetown
Hadfield Joseph, shoe maker, 97 High street east
Hadfield Thomas, draper & outfitter, 29 High street west
Hague Joseph, mill man.28High st. east
Hall James, machinist, 25 Surrey st
Hall John, blacksmith, Howard street
Hall John, tailor & draper, Leeds house, High street west
Hall John, tailor & draper, Town Hall buildings, High street west
Hall Joseph, shoe maker, 201 High st. ea
Hall Joseph Bridge, confectioner, 142 High street west
Hall Samuel,.butcher, 127 Hall street
Hall William, secretary to John Wood & Bros, limited, 67 Norfolk street
Hamnett James & Son, watch & clock makers, High street east
Hampshire Thos. shopkeeper, 12 Milltwn
Hampson Sarah (Miss), beer retailer, 99 High street east
Hampson Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, Hague street
Hampson Nancy (Mrs.), grocer, 24 Chapel street
Hampson Thos. stone mer. Highfield ho
Hardman Henry Chas. farmer, Hurst
Hardman John, dentist, 47 Norfolk st & chemist, 48 High street west
Hardy Edwin, hatter, 14 High st. east
Hargreaves Sl. beer retailer, 19 Chapel st
Harrison Abel, Station inn, & mineral water manufacturer, Norfolk street
Harrison Charles Smith, jun. grocer & corn dealer, Liverpool house, 41 High street west
Harrison Charles Smith, sen. grocer & corn dealer, 122 High street west
Harrison Jas. shoe maker, 91 Victoria st
Harrison Robert & Sons, slaters & plasterers, 1 Hall street. See advert
Harrop Geo. beer retailer, Gladstone st
Harrop James, farmer, Hill top
Harrop James, shopkeeper, 9 Freetown
Harrop John, draper, 22 High st. west
Harrop John, patent medicine vendor, 71 High street east
Harrop Joseph, shopkeeper, Wesley st
Hawke Francis, steward to Lord Howard of Glossop. Spire Hollin
Hayes Thos. Commercial inn,137 Hall st
Hays John, clothes dealer, 1 Chapel st
Helm Brian, grocer & tobacconist, High street east
Hesselden William, stone dealer, 5 Oldham street & Blackshaw Clough Quarry. See advertisement
Hewitt William, shoe maker, 8 Collier st
Heys George Hy. broker, 45 Gladstone st
Hibbert Jhn. & Jsph. solicitors, Norfolk sq
Hibbert John, solicitor (firm, Hibbert John & Joseph), registrar & high bailiff of county court, Norfolk square
Higginbottom & Lees, auctioneers, accountants, valuers, estate & insurance agents, 9 Norfolk square & 43 High street west. See advertisement
Higginbottom Charles, auctioneer, see Higginbottom &. Lees
Higginbottom Jas. gen. dlr. 43High st. we
Higginbottom James, quarry owner, Turn Lee quarry
Higginbottom John, auctioneer, see Mellor & Higginbottom
Higginbottom John Samuel, draper & milliner, 17 High street west
Higginbottom Wm. drapr. 38 High st. ea
Higginbottom William, mill manager, 28 High street east
Hill Fras. (Mrs.), shopkpr. 164 Victoria st
Hill Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Cliffe road
Hill William, shoe dir. 94 High st. we
Hinchcliffe Henry, stone dir. 44 High street east, & Blake quarry, Blackshaw clough Hinchliffe John & Co. coal merchants, Railway yard
Hindle John, shopkeeper, 118 Victoria street
Hodgson William Henry,head constable of borough police, Police office, Ellison street
Holdgate William & Brothers,florists & seedsmen, 1 Edward street
Holdgate James, painter, glazier &c. 149 High street west
Holdgate Thomas, shopkpr. 5 Milltown
Holdgate Wm. iron brkr. 83 St. Mary's rd
Hollingberry W. H. manager of the Manchester & Liverpool District bank, Norfolk square
Housley Thomas, engineer & machinist, Surrey Street machine wrks. See advt
Howard John, farmer, Ashes
Howard Helen (Mrs), grocer, 27 Charlestown road
Howard Thos, farmer, 43 Primrose la
Howarth Edwd. shopkpr. 213 High St. we
Howe James, butcher, 18 Princes st
Hoyland Thos. sand grindr. 37 Hague st
Hudson Ralph, stone dealer, Turn Lee quarry. See advertisement
Hunt William, surgeon, Cowbrook cottage, Sheffield road
Hunt William Hy. surgeon, Norfolk st
Hunter Thomas Pearson, draper, 9 High street west
Hurst Aaron, shopkeeper, Charlestown
Hurst George, butcher, 150 Victoria st
Hurst John, coal merchant, Railway st
Hyde Thomas, shopkpr. Whitfield cross
Ingerson John, tailor, 9 Norfolk square
Ingerson Wm. milliner, 1 &4 Norfolk sq
Ingham John, draper, 93 High st. we
Irlam William Hy. stationer, printer & bookbinder, 55 High street west
Jackson & Wood, joiners & builders, Bridgefield. See advertisement:
Jackson Elizabeth (Miss), beer retailer, , 38 & 40 High street west
Jackson Isaac, saddler & harness maker, 75 High street west & Station road, Hadfield. See advertisement
Jackson Levi (exors. of), rope, twine & cotton band manufactr. Hobroyd
Jackson Olive (Mrs.), drpr. 162 Victoria st
Jackson Rowland, tobacnst. 4 High st. ea
Johns Jas. cabinet ma. 119 High st. we
Jones Wm. stone mason, Bridgefield
Kelly Jas. tailor & draper, High st. we
Kelsall William, saddler & harness maker, 12 Old cross
Kenny Henrietta Margaret (Mrs.), dress maker, 69 Norfolk street
Kinder Henry, chemist & dentist, 35 High street west
Kinder John Jas. butcher, 6 High st. we
Kinder Walter, slater & plasterer, 2 Princes street
Knott John, coal agent, 78 High st. east
Lamb Edmd. goods inspctr. 31 Norfolk st
Lancaster Henry Slater, Wheat Sheaf, & butcher, 16,18 & 20 Wellgate
Lawton John, tin plate worker, Wellgate
Lawton Wm. brush ma. 81 Victoria st
Lee Ellen (Mrs.), confectioner, 230 High street west
Lee George, clogger, 110 High st. west
Lee Hannah, Clarice & Sarah (Misses), confectioners, 104 High street west
Leech Annie Matilda (Mrs.), milliner, 60 High street west
Leech Charles, mill man, 43 Sheffield rd
Leech Jn. Thos. cabinet ma. 60 High st. we
Lister Lewis, piano dealer, 3 Freetown
Littlewood Dick, shopkpr. 267 High st. we
Lockley Michael, shoe ma. 191 High st. we
Lockwood Thos. coal mer. Railway yard
Lomas Robert, stone mer. 48 Church street & Shire Hill quarry
Longden Alfred, farmer & stone engraver, Padfield road
Longden Jn. blacksmith, 3 High st. east
Longden John, farmer, Lane Head
Lowe Moses, shoe maker & beer retailer, 13 Bernard street
Lowe William, tailor, 89 Gladstone st
Lyne Edwd. undertaker’s agt. High st. ea
McKelvey Rd. hair dressr.70 High st. we
Mackenzie Duncan John, surgeon, 64 High street west
McKnight Thomas, leather dealer & ironmonger, 1 High street east
McLeod Jn. photographer, High st. we
McMellon William, tailor & draper, 18 High street west
McWilliam John, tailor & draper, 11 Norfolk street
Maginnis Sarah Ann (Mrs.), ladies’ school, Primrose house
Makin James, stationer, 11 Victoria st
Malkin Sam. corn miller, High st. east
Manchester & Liverpool District Bank (branch) ( W. H. Hollingbery,man.), Norfolk square; draw on Smith, Payne & Smith, London E.C.
Marsden Elijah, shopkeeper, 73 Hall st
Marsden Thomas, shopkpr. 40 Church st.
Mason Jsph. brokr, & br. rtlr. 33 Charles st
Massey David, grocer & butcher, 66 High street east
May Amos, basket & skip maker, 136 Victoria street
May Thomas, basket & skip maker, 90 Victoria street
Mellor & Higginbottom, auctioneers, Hollin Cross lane & 42 High st. west
Mellor John, grocer & corn dealer, 2 High street east
Mellor Wm. confectioner, 131 High st. we
Merry James, ironmonger, plumber & gasfitter, High st. east. See advert
Minshall Lydia (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 148 Victoria street
Mills Henry, beer retailer, Arundel st
Morton Martha (Mrs.), dress maker, Princes street
Needham William, farmer, Hurst
Nelson Margaret (Miss), confectioner, 20 High street east
Newton George, grocer, 65 Bernard st
Newton William, coal dlr. 43 King st
Nield Daniel, tanner, Hague street
Nield James, shoe maker, 9 Victoria st
Nield Thomas, tea dealer, 49 Norfolk st
North Derbyshire & North Cheshire Advertiser (Thomas Allard Pettit, publisher & proprietor; published Saturday), Howard street
Nuttall Jas. borough survyr. Sheffld. rd
Nuttall Jsph. shoe dlr. 121 High st. west
Nutter Robert, grocer, 10 Gladstone st
Ogden Kay, insurance agent, Lord st
Ogden Samuel, clogger, 30 Church st
Olive & Partington,paper makers, paper stainers & tin foil manufacturers, Turn Lee & Dover mills; & 10 Newmarket lane, Manchester
Ollerenshaw John, slater & plasterer, Spire Hollin
Ollerenshaw Robert, grocer, & slater & plasterer, 30 Queen street
Orme Joe, beer retailer, Norfolk street
Orme Thos. joiner & builder, High st. we
Partington Edward, paper manufacturer, see Olive & Partington
Patchett Abraham, Butcher 36 High st we
Paulden John, shoe ma. 151 High st. we
Pemberton & Howarth, joiners & builders, 48 Sheffield road
Pemberton John, butcher, 112 High st. we
Pemberton Joseph, farmer, Royal gate
Percival David, wine & spirit merchant, Norfolk square
Pettit Edwin Walter, bookseller & stationer, 27 High street west
Pettit Thomas Allard, publisher & proprietor of the “North Derbyshire & North Cheshire Advertiser,” Howard street
Pickford Job, shopkeeper, 5 Freetown
Pickford John, grocer, 112 Victoria st
Plant Wm. tin plate worker, Victoria st
Platt Benjamin, grocer, 76 High st. ea
Platt George, butcher, 49 High st. we
Platt Joe, butcher, 39 High st. west
Platt John, shopkeeper. 20 Church st
Platt Joseph, farmer, Hill top
Pollitt James, mill manager, Wren Nest
Potts Bros, drapers, 11 High st. west
Potts Joseph, joiner, 5 Sheffield road
Pownall Edwin, shopkeeper, 93 Gladstone street
Priestnall Harriet (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 82 Gladstone street
Proctor Robt. chemist, 7 High st. west
Pye John, gamekeeper, Heath
Quinn Jn. umbrella ma. 83 Victoria st
Ramsbottom William, clerk, Lord st
Rathbone Jn. shoe ma. 140 High st. we
Redfern Isaac, coal dealer, & school attendance officer, Gladstone street
Rhodes James, surgeon, 25 Victoria st
Riley Jas. shopkeeper, 21 Gladstone st
Roberts: James, farmer, Herod farm
Robertson Thos. shopkpr. Liberal hall
Robinson George, drapr. 15 High st. we
Robinson George, painter, glazier & paper hanger, 26 High street west
Robinson Joe, contractor, 63 Charlestown road
Robinson Jsph. shopkpr. 116 Victoria st
Robinson Joseph (exors. of), woollen cloth manufacturer, Gnathole mills
Robinson Samuel, grocer, 16 High st. ea;
Robinson Thomas, manager & sec. of the Shepley Mill Cotton Manufacturing Co. Limited, Princes street
Robinson Thos. shopkeepr. Charlestown
Robinson Walter, draper, 12 Norfolk st
Rodgers Richard & Son, cutlers, 129 High street east
Rolley Alice (Miss), milliner, 53 High street west
Rosson John Henry, chemist & dentist, 1 High street west
Rowbottom Samuel, cotton spinner & band manufacturer, Meadow mills
Rowbottom Thos. draper. 85 High st. we
Rowbottom Thos. shopkpr. 63 High st. ea
Salisbury Hy.&Son, jwllrs. 58 High st. we
Sandiford Anthony, grcr. 228 High st. we
Schofield Charles & Son, stationers, printers & bookbinders, 6 Norfolk sq
Schofield Alfred Ernest, music teacher, Gladstone street
Schofield Hannah (Mrs.), butcher, 83 High street east
Schofield Samuel, boot & shoe maker, 103 Victoria street
Seddon & Bradley, dressmakers, 196 High street west
Sellars Jas. Bull's Head, 72 Church st.
Sellars John, draper, 13 Norfolk street
Sellars Joseph, Talbot, 25 Hall street
Sellars William Henry, oat cake baker, 90 Victoria street
Shallcross Joseph, grocer, 42 Edward st
Shaw Edwin, piano & music seller, 9 High street east. See advert
Shephard Abrahm. grcr. 128 High st. ea
Shephard James, farmer, Ashes
Shepherd John, farmer, Mossy Lee
Shepley Robert& James, cotton spinners & manufacturers, Shepley street
Shepley Thos. ironmonger, 2 Norfolk st
Sheppard James, farmer, & furniture remover, Ashes. See advert
Sheppard John, mineral water manufacturer, 14 Norfolk square
Shepley Mill Cotton Manufacturing Co. Limited (Thomas Robinson, sec. & manager), Shepley mill
Siddons Joseph, farm bailiff to Hon Francis Howard, Blackshaw
Sidebottom Peter, confectioner, & gas rate collector, 127 High street west
Sidebottom SI. farmer, Hollin Cross la
Sims Alfred Joseph, inland revenue officer, Hollin Cross lane
Slack Saml, beer retlr. 78 High st. east
Slater Thos. hair dresser, 138 High st. we
Slater Wm .coal dealer, 132 High st. we
Smith Edward, boot & shoe maker, 47 High street west
Smith Ellen (Miss), milliner & dressmaker, 62 High street east
Smith Emma (Mrs.), ladies’ seminary, High street east
Smith John Bower & Son, cabinet makers, 55 High street east
Smith Wm. boot & shoe ma. 37 High st. we
Stafford Joseph, china & earthenware dealer, 10 High street west
Stafford Jsph. cotton spinner, Arundel st
Statham James, warehouseman, 15 Norfolk street
Statham Mary (Mrs.), dress maker, 15 Norfolk street
Sumner Francis James, cotton spinner & manufacturer, Wren Nest mills
Swindells Thomas, baker & confectioner, 6 High street east
Swire John, clogger, 8 High st. west
Swire William, draper, 2 Victoria st
Sykes James, Surrey Arms, High st. we
Sykes Joseph, cotton spinner, see T. P. Sykes & Sons
Sykes Sarah (Mrs.), Greyhound, 7 Hope street
Sykes Thomas Patterson & Sons, cotton spinners & doublers, Hawk’s head
Sykes Wiliam, grocer & corn dealer, 7 Norfolk square
Tarbatt Hy. butcher, 216 High st. we
Taylor Alfred, ironworks man. Pikes la
Taylor Charles, draper, 131 Hall street
Taylor John, farmer, Ashes
Thom James, coal agnt. 33 Norfolk st
Thompson Charles William, outfitter, 45 High street west
Thornhill Sl. warehouseman, 55 Norfolk st
Thornhill Wm. farmer, Woodcock road
Thomley Betty (Miss), grocer, 4 Charlestown road
Thornley James, clogger & shoe maker, 1 Charlestown road
Thornley James, farmer, Hague street
Thomley John, butcher, 102 Victoria st
Thornley Robert, butcher, Freetown
Thorp Hannah (Miss), shopkeeper, 50 Church street
Thorp Joseph, draper, 126 High st. ea
Thorp Walter, coal merchant, Henry st
Tifney Simeon, stone dealer, 13 Wellgt
Tomlinson May (Miss), frmr. Turn Lee
Tomlinson Wm. chemist, 53 High st. we
Traynor Thos. hairdrssr. 30 High st. we
Trueman John, Bee Hive inn, & quarry master, 35 Hague street
Turner Manasseh, fruiterer, 26 High st. ea
Twells Thomas, draper, 74 High st. east
Voisey Harriet (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 92 Victoria street
Wagstaffe Jn. butcher, 19 High st. ea
Walker Crowther, draper, 90 High st. we
Walker John, bleacher, Charlestown works; & at 15 Dickenson street, Manchester
Walton James, Bridge inn, Market st
Walton Jsph. Albion inn, 15 Victoria st
Walton Matt, tobacconist, 7 High st. ea
Ward James, stationer & bookseller, 57 High street east
Waterhouse Aaron, farmer & coal dealer, Ashes
Waterhouse Albert, stone mason, 76 Victoria street
Waterhouse Jonathan, joiner & builder, 30 Hollin Cross lane
Waterhouse Jonathan, stationer, 130 High street west
Watts George, shoe maker, Freetown
Watts Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr. Hope st
Whatmough Enoch, watch maker, 65 High street east
White George, farmer, Brown hill
White Thos. draper, 133 High st. east
Whittaker Thos. beer rtlr. 32 Chapel st
Whittingham Francis & Son, brush makers, 10 High street east
Williamson George, rate coll. Market st
Williamson William, grocer, corn & coal dealer, 32 High street east
Willie John William Crane, cabinet maker, 17 Norfolk street
Willis Harriet (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 121 Charlestown
Wilson Elijah, farmer. Heath
Wilson Hannah (Mrs.), boot & shoe maker, 20 High street west
Wilson Joseph, hair dresser, 124 High street east
Winterbottom George, Royal Oak, Sheffield road
Winterbottom James, stone engraver, 6 Hall street
Winterbottom Robert, registrar to burial board, Cemetery lodge
Wood Charlotte (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 27 High street east
Wood Daniel, cotton manufacturer, see Wood John & Brothers, Limited
Wood Eli, music seller, 42 Edward st
Wood George & Brothers, undertakers & coach proprietors (formerly James Wood), Howard street. See advert
Wood Gilbert, butcher, 38 Kershaw st
Wood Isaiah, grocer, 52 Church street
Wood James, farmer, Windy harbour
Wood John & Brothers Limited, cotton spinners & manufacturers (William Hall, sec.), Howard Town mills
Wood John, grocer & corn dealer, 25 High street west
Wood Robert, shopkeeper, 12 Chapel st
Wood Samuel, cotton manufacturer, see Wood John & Brothers, Limited
Wood Samuel, farmer. Hobroyd,
Wood Samuel, shopkeeper & wheelwright, 13 Charles street
Wood Sarah Ann (Miss), shopkeeper, 60 Hague street
Wood Thomas, rag merchant, Derby st
Wood Wm. general dealer, Queen st
Woodcock Annie (Miss),hosier, 8 High street east
Woodcock Ebenezer, shopkeeper, 152 High street west
Woodcock Elizabeth (Mrs.), grocer, 51 Victoria street
Woodcock George, Hare Hounds, 27 Hall street
Woodhead Stephen & Co. Chinese starch polish manufacturers, 57 High street west, See advertisement
Woodhead Daniel, stationer, printer & bookbinder, 57 High street west
Woodhead Matthew, stone merchant, 13 Hope street & Law quarries. See advertisement
Wood house Jsph. butcher, 36 Church st
Woolley Edwd. butcher,77 High st. west
Woolley Thos. grocer, 6 High st. west
Workmen's Club Co-operative Society Limited (Bernard Dearnley, sec.), Arundel street
Wright George, draper, 9 Arundel st
Wright Joseph, Globe inn, 144 High street west
Wright Samuel,shopkeeper, 135 Hall st
Wright Thomas James, grocer & tobacconist, 72 High street west
Wright Thomas, joiner, 10 George st
Wyatt Cephas, farmer, Blackshaw
Wyld James, farmer, Hurst
Yorkshire Boot Co. (Edward Cooper, manager), 23 High street west

Dinting.
Barlow Thomas, Simmondley lane
Bennett Mrs. Simmondley lane
Hollingworth Henry, Simmondley lane
Humphreys James Collie
Lawton Mrs. Simmondley lane
Rowcliffe John B. Gamesley house
Sheppard William, Simmondley lane
Commercial.
Booth Samuel, farmer, Gamesley
Church Institute (Jas. Entwistle,sec.)
Cooper George, farmer
Dawson James, grocer & news agent
Downing Margaret (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Egerton James, grocer & hosier
Hague William (Mrs.), farmer
Hallam Geo. oat cake baker, Brookfield
Harrison James, farmer, Gamesley
Horrocks John, shopkeeper, Brookfield
Jackson Joseph, farmer, & Magnet inn, Gamesley
Kenyon Nancy (Mrs.), dress maker, Brookfield
Lyne George, shopkeeper, Brookfield
McGregor John, color mixer at Messrs. E. Potter’s print works, Shaw lane
Marsden Moses, farmer, Gamesley
Moss Joseph, newsagent & coal dealer, Brookfield .
Nield John, Plough inn
Nield Thomas, butcher
Pilkington William, cashier at Messrs E. Potter’s print works, Shaw lane
Platt James, farmer
Platt Thomas, farmer
Potter Edmund & Co. calico printers; warehouse,10 Charlotte st. Manchester
Roberts Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Rowbottom & Thornley, builders, contractors & quarry owners, Gamesley; & at Charlesworth
Rowcliffe John B. & Co. spring mattress manufacturers
Shephard Chas. shopkeeper, Brookfield
Shepley John & William, cotton spinners & manufacturers, Brookfield mills
Sykes Jnn. & Thos. Beard, slaters & plasterers, Gamesley; & at Charlesworth
Turner James, greengrocer, Gamesley
Wagstaffe Lavinia (Mrs.), Viaduct inn
Wharmby John, grocer, Brookfield
Whiteley James, grocer, Brookfield
Whittaker William, farmer, Gamesley
Wilson Mary Ann (Miss), milliner Brookfield
Yarwood James, shopkeeper, Gamesley
Youll Joseph, mason, Gamesley.

Chunal.
Band George, farmer
Bowden Alice (Mrs.), farmer
Goddard William, Grouse inn & farmer
Hadfield John, farmer
Hampson James, Horseshoe inn & cattle dealer & farmer
Higginbottom Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Higginbottom John, farmer & stone dlr
Knott Samuel, farmer
Nield Edwin, farmer
Priestnall Jeremiah, farmer
Robinson Sarah Ann (Miss), farmer.
Shepley William, farmer
Wood John, farmer

Hadfield.
Private Residents.
Buckley Henry, Brosscroft
Butterworth Henshaw, Kent villa
Eastham James Cook, The Thorns
Hadfield Rev. Joseph [vicar]
Lawson Henry Thomas, 12 Hadfield la
Platt Edward
Platt Mrs. Bross croft
Rhodes Thomas J.P. Mersey bank
Rhodes Wm. Shepley J.P. Mersey bank
Ridgway James, Green lane
Shaw John, Kent villa
Swales Joseph
Walsh Benjamin, Bank house, Bank st
Commercial.
Aldous Thomas, window blind manufacturer, 124 Main road & Station road. See advertisement
Aldous William, farmer, Main road
Ashton Abraham, coal mer. Rose villa
Ashton William, grocer, 58 Main road
Aston John Henry, coal agent, Station rd
Bain, Sidebotham & Brightmore, builders & contractors, Church street. See advertisement
Barber Isaiah, hair dresser, 24 Bank- bottom
Barker Wm. grocer & farmer, Main rd
Battey Daniel, draper, 106 Station rd
Beard Geo. slater & plasterer, Church street. See advertisement
Beckett William, cabinet maker, 49 Brosscroft
Belfield Edward, Anchor inn, Main rd
Bell James, clogger & draper, 43 & 45 Station road
Bell Joseph, shopkeeper, 47 Station rd
Bennet Jas. shopkeeper, Woolley bridge
Bennett Robert, shopkeeper, Station rd
Bennett Thomas, draper & furniture dealer, Station road
Bennett Thomas, Victoria, Bross croft
Bentham Thos. stationer, 49 Station rd
Blakley Jas. shopkpr. Woolley bridge
Booth Ed win, temperance hotel, & bath proprietor, 170 Station road
Booth Joe, grocer & draper, Waterside
Booth John, clogger, Woolley bridge
Bradbury William, grocer,Bankbottom
Braddock John, coal mer. Church ter
Bradshaw James, grocer, 109 Main rd
Broadbent Jn. shopkpr. 10 Bross croft
Brook Furness, draper, 13 Station road
Butterworth Henshaw, grcr. Waterside
Challoner Elizabeth (Mrs.), coal merchant, Bross croft
Collier Charles, grocer, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants, 9 Bank street
Cox John, draper & photographer, 90 Station road
Crockett James, fishmonger, Station rd
Dawson William, plumber & painter, Station road
Daykin Ezekiel, greengrocer, Station rd
Dewsnap Jn.& Son, butchers, Station rd
Duckworth Samuel, blacksmith, 36 Station road
Ellis Wm. furniture remover, Woolley bridge
Equitable Co-operative Society Lim. (Thos. Bentham,see. ; Geo Hutchinson, treasurer), Station road
Eversden William, grocer, Waterside
Farnsworth Hannah (Mrs.),shopkeeper, 5 Station road
Fawcett George, basket & skep maker, Woolley bridge
Foster Thomas, Arundel Arms, & professional cricketer
Fowden Thos. shopkpr. 14 Hadfield rd
Gill Wright, grocer & quarry owner, 67 Station road
Goddard Abel, shopkeeper, Station rd
Goddard Elizabeth (Mrs.), milliner, Station road
Hadfield & Hollingworth Coal Co. (George Hutchinson, sec. ; Joseph Knowles, treasurer)
Hadfield Conservative Club Co. Limited (John Phair, sec)
Hadfield Liberal Club (James Handforth,sec)
Hadfield John (exors. of), Spread Eagle, Woolley bridge
Hadfield John, grocer, Station road
Haigh Wm. boot & shoe ma. 9 Station rd
Hampshire William, ironmonger, plumber & tinman, 71 Station rd. See advt
Hampson Thos. pawnbroker, Station rd
Harris John, tailor & draper, 75 Station rd
Harrison Wm. shopkeeper, Woolley brdg
Harrop Joseph, draper, 29 Station rd
Hearnshaw Abraham, pork butcher, 61 Station road
Hindley Richard, baker, 103 Station rd
Hirst James, draper, 46 Bankbottom
Horsfall Young, joiner, 65 Station road
Howarth Hy Wright, drpr. 60 Station rd
Hoyland Benj. hardware dealr. Station rd
Hoyland Henry, hardware dlr. Station rd
Ingram Zachriah, umbrella maker, Woolley bridge
Jackson Isaac, saddler & harness makr, Station road
Johnson Thos. coal mer. & grocer, Bank st
Jolley Joseph, Spinners’ Arms, Main rd
Jones James, chemist, 27 Station road
Lee Ann (Mrs.), grocer, 15 Lower barn
Lee John, skewer & bobbin maker, Warhurst fold
Lockwood Elliot, draper, 92 Station; rd
Marsden Alfred, shopkeeper, Lower barn
Mellor Wm. shopkeeper, 7 Station road
Newton Thomas, farmer, Mouseley farm
Nield Allen, “Pioneer” coffee tavern, 99 Station road
Nield Thomas, farmer
Nelson Samuel, tailor, 92 Station road
Newton Amos, butcher, 3 Station road
Patchett Hy. brick maker,32 Station rd
Pettit Ada( Miss), stationer, 98 Station rd
Platt Ann (Mrs.), shopkpr. 100 Station rd
Platt Edward & Sons, cotton manufrs.; & at Padfield
Platt Jane (Mrs.), shopkpr. Woolley brdg
Platt Mary (Mrs.), beer rtlr. Woolly. brdg
Rhodes Thomas & Son, cotton spinners & manufacturers, Hadfield mills; & 13 Charlotte street, Manchester
Rhodes Thomas, cotton spinners & manufacturers, Mersey mills; & 14 Charlotte street, Manchester
Roberts George William, cabinet maker, 132 Main road
Robinson Alonzo, beer retailer, 59 Station road
Robinson Joseph, Palatine, Station rd
Rolley Abel, furniture dealer. Bank st
Roworth Benjamin, farmer, Cross
Saxon J. Commercial inn, Bankbottom
Senior Elijah, greengrocer. Station rd
Senior Joseph, shopkeeper, Waterside
Shaw Mary (Mrs.), beer retailer, 2 Hadfield road
Sheppard Robert, draper, 33 Station rd
Shufflebotham Joseph, clogger, 1a, Station road
Siddall Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Padfield lane
Siddall George, butcher, 73 Station rd
Sidebottom John, cattle dealer
Sidebottom T. & W. cotton spinners & manufacturers, Waterside mills; & 22 Pall mall, Manchester
Slater William, mason & contractor, 38 Station road
Sutton Thos. shopkeeper & stonemason, 168 Station road
Swales Joseph, accoucheur. Station road
Swindells Edwin, draper, Bank terrace
Swire John, clogger, Woolley bridge
Taylor Abel,hair dresser & shopkeeper, Station road
Thorniley James, chemist, Bankbottom
Thornley Amos, watchma. 97 Station rd
Thornley Jas. general dir. Woolley brdg
Thornley Taylor,coal mer. 85 Station rd
Wadsworth Len, farmer & beer retailer, Station road
Warhurst Caleb, joiner & builder, 138 Station road
Warhurst Enoch, joiner, Station road
Warhurst Samuel, music teacher, 138 Station road
Wheatley Joseph, shoe mkr. 97 Station rd
Wildgoose William, grocer, Waterside
Wood Samuel, grocer, 35 Station road
Woodhead Joseph, news agent, Bank st
Woolley Edward, butcher, Woolley bdg
Woolley Geo. butcher, 102 Station road
Worsley Henry, shopkeeper & commission agent, 41 Bross croft
Wright William Symes, ironmonger, iron & tin plate worker, Station road
Wynne Patrick, tripe seller, 34 Station rd

Padfield.
Platt Mrs. Padfield brook
Dewsnap Joseph, Ivy cottage
Commercial.
Bennett James, Peel’s Arms
Bennett Joseph, farmer, Little Padfield
Bowden William, shopkeeper
Collier Charles, miller
Coote Joshua, quarry owner
Crossland John, farmer, Deep Clough
Dearnley Eli, fishmonger
Dewsnap Joseph, butcher
Ellis Samuel, farmer
Fielding William, grocer
Fox Thomas, farmer, Torside
Goddard Joseph & Son, contractors, Little Padfield
Goddard Joseph, farmer, Little Padfield
Hollingworth James, shopkeeper
Horsfield William, shopkeeper
Hyde William, farmer
Jackson Peter, farmer
Jackson Thomas, farmer, Old House
Liggins Eliza (Miss), milliner
Mapp Charles, carrier
Oldfield Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Deep Clough
Platt Edward & Sons, cotton manufrs
Platt Joe, butcher
Sargentson James, cotton waste dealer, & farmer
Sargentson James, jun. cotton waste dealer & farmer
Siddall Mary Ann(Mrs.), beer retailer, shopkeeper & farmer
Siddell Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Sidebottom James, shopkeeper
Stears Martha (Mrs.), frmr. Deep Clough
Whitehead Firth, farmer
Wild Walter, grocer
Wood George, butcher & carrier



Button image Return to Trade Directory List Button image Return to Local History Articles Button image Return to the home page




Page last updated: 8 May 2017.