Glossop Heritage Trust

Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1888
Entries for the area of the Borough of Glossop.



GLOSSOP.
Glossop (or Glossop Dale) is a municipal borough, market and union town, head of a county court district and petty sessional division, township, parish, polling-place for the High Peak division of Derbyshire, and railway station, 192½ miles by rail from London by Great Northern railway, 9½ from Ashton, 24½ from Barnsley, 87 from Birmingham, 65 from Burton, 47 from Chesterfield, 58 from Derby, 41 from Doncaster, 87 from Leicester, 34 from Leek, 47 from Liverpool, 73¾ from Lincoln, 13 from Manchester, 20 from Macclesfield, 74 from Nottingham, 30 from Sheffield, 66¼ from Stafford, 10½ from Staleybridge, 11 from Stockport, 53 from Uttoxeter and 72 from Wolverhampton. It is in High Peak hundred, rural deanery of Glossop, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell, situate on- the borders of Cheshire, The parish contains the townships of Glossop, Dale, Hadfield, Padfield, Whitfield, Charlesworth, Simmondley, Dinting, Chunal, Ludworth and Chisworth.
The borough is divided into three wards, viz.: All Saints, Hadfield and St. James’. The corporation consists of a mayor, 6 aldermen, and 18 councillors, who act as the Urban Sanitary Authority. The borough has a commission of the peace.
The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company’s main line from Manchester to Sheffield is carried across Dinting Vale on a lofty viaduct of sixteen arches, constructed of stone, about a mile west from the town hall, and there is a branch line from Dinting to GIossop and Hadfield.
The parish of All Saints, Glossop, is now divided into four —(1) the old parish of Glossop, All Saints; (2) the parish of Whitfield, St. James ; (3) the parish of Hadfield, St. Andrews ; (4) the parish of Dinting, Holy Trinity. The ancient parish church of All Saints was pulled down in 1830. In addition to the churches above mentioned, there are in the ancient parish of Glossop the old chapels of Hayfield and Mellor, the new parish churches of Charlesworth and New Mills, Whitfield, and the new district church of Limedale, comprising the townships of Chinley, Bugsworth and Brownside, and the new parish churches of Hadfield and Dinting Vale : the churchyard is closed except for interments in walled graves, where there may be room. There is a burial board of 9 members, and a cemetery of 6 acres, formed in 1859, with mortuary chapels. The present church is a modern Gothic edifice of stone, consisting of a chancel, with lancet windows, a nave of one span, surrounded on three sides by galleries, aisles, south porch, a vestry and organ chamber, erected in 1877 by the present vicar, and a western tower, containing 8 bells, re-hung in 1877, and a chiming apparatus attached, at a cost of £180, with spire rebuilt in 1856. There is a stained east window of three lights to a late Duke and Duchess of Norfolk, Robert Shepley esq. and John Wood esq. former benefactors : the old church plate bears date 1745, but in 1877 a new set of plate was contributed by the parishioners : the nave was in 1886 re-seated with open benches by Daniel Wood esq. of Moorfield. The register dates from the year 1620. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £350, net yearly value &300, with residence, in the gift of Lord Foley, and held since 1865 by the Rev. John Dickenson Knowles M.A. of St, Peter’s College, Cambridge.
Among the more recent vicars of Glossop, was the Rev. Christopher Howe, born at Threlkeld, in Cumberland, July 1st, 1765, incumbent of this living from 1793 to 1849 and for 40 years also incumbent of Woodhead, in Cheshire; he was appointed to the vicarage of Glossop by the Hon. and Rev. Edward Harcourt, then Bishop of Carlisle and afterwards Archbishop of York, and during his long and laborious ministry, more than 46 years of which were passed without assistance, he established a day school at Glossop, in which he personally taught, and partly rebuilt the parish church ; he died September 1st and was buried September 7th, 1849 in the 85th year of his age and the 57th of his vicariate of Glossop. Not less venerable for the number of his days and the prolonged character of his public services, was Mr. Charles Winterbottom, who died at the age of 87 years and 7 months, having been for upwards of 60 years sexton and clerk of the parish of Glossop.
There are the following places of Worship:- Primitive Methodist, Shrewsbury street, built 1855, 730 sittings ; Unitarian, Fitzalan street, built about 1873, 300 sittings ; United Methodist Free Church, Hall street, built 1860, 450 sittings ; Wesleyan,High street west, built 1860,1,500 sittings; Wesleyan, Wesley street, built 1813, 400 sittings.
Near Glossop Hall stands the Catholic chapel of All Saints, a building in the Classic style, erected by Bernard Edward Duke of Norfolk, in 1837, and consisting of nave, tabernacle and belfry, with one bell: over the altar is a fine copy of Domenichino's Communion of St. Hyronome, the original of which is in the Vatican; there are also valuable paintings representing the twelve apostles. There are 350 sittings.
There are Charities of £60 yearly value, distributed among the poor on St. Thomas’ day, in money and clothing, by two representatives of the eight original hamlets of Glossop Dale.
Here are cotton manufactories, and in the neighbourhood, calico printing establishments and paper mills: some of the former, and especially those of Messrs, John Wood and Bros. Limited, and Messrs. Francis Sumner & Co. Limited, are very extensive, employing in ordinary times from 5,000 to 6000 workpeople. The first cotton mill was erected about the year 1784, but previously to this a few woollen factories and fulling mills had been in operation ; one of these, The Gnathole mill, now covered with ivy, with quaint old diamond-shaped window panes still remains, but it is now (1887) unoccupied.
At Dinting Vale are the large calico printing works developed by the skill and energy of the late Mr. E. Potter, and now carried on by Messrs. E. Potter & Co.
Here are two newspapers published on Saturday.
The Town Hall, with the Market House, was considerably enlarged in 1854.
There are Conservative and Liberal clubs, and a Coffee tavern, each having news and recreation rooms.
Hurst brook and Whitfield brook, two feeders of the Etherow, take their rise on the adjacent moors, the water of the latter possessing bleaching properties, which was taken advantage of in establishing the works at Charlestown. There are quarries producing building and paving stone.
The Free Library and Public Hall, Fauvel road, is a handsome Gothic stone building, erected in 1887 by Herbert Rhodes esq. and Captain Edward Partington, at a cost of about £4,400. Lord Howard of Glossop granting the site : the building contains a reading room and library, a lecture hall, and a public hall : over the main entrance a tower with pinnacles rises to a height of about 80 feet.
Victoria Park, North road, formed in 1887, at the joint expense of Lord Howard of Glossop, Samuel Wood esq. and Mrs. Wood, of Talbot House, is situated on an eminence, commanding a fine view of .the town and neighbourhood; it is about 12 acres in extent. In the north-west corner is the Woods Hospital, and in the south-west corner are the Public Baths.
The Wood's Hospital, Victoria Park, was founded and endowed in 1887, by Daniel Wood esq. of Moorfield, at a cost of about £25,000; it is of brick, cased externally with stone : it comprises a male and a female ward, holding about 16 patients, and an administrative block, containing the offices, store rooms &c.: to the west of the hospital is a detached laundry, with lodge keeper’s residence.
The Public Baths, Victoria Park, which were erected in 1887, by Samuel Wood esq. and Mrs. Wood, of Talbot house, at a cost of about £15,000, comprise a swimming hath, four private baths for males, and a like number for females, and vapour and Turkish baths : a prominent feature is the ventilating tower which is 9 feet square at the base and 100 feet high.
The principal market day is Saturday. Fairs are held on the 6th May, also the first Wednesday on or after the 10th day of October, for the sale of horses and cattle.
The Cottage Hospital, St. Mary’s road, established by Lady Howard, will hold 6 patients, who are under the care of a trained nurse ; the existing building was adapted to its present use by the late Lord Howard of Glossop, who placed it at the disposal of the town for five years, and it has since been continued by the present Lord Howard, under the management of a committee of ladies and gentlemen ; the funds of the hospital are raised by subscription, a small weekly charge being made to the patients.
GIossop Hall, the seat of the Right Hon. Lord Howard of GIossop, is a noble building, in the French château style of the eighteenth century, and stands on gently rising ground above Howard Town, surrounded by trees: it was much enlarged and improved by the late Henry Charles, 13th Duke of Norfolk, grandfather of the present owner.
At Old Cross, Old Glossop, is an ancient stone cross in a fair state of preservation.
The town and hamlets now comprising the manor of Glossop in the Domesday book of Edward the Confessor, appear to have been divided into several parts among different Saxon proprietors: thus Glossop itself belonged to Levine, Dinting to Levintot, Charlesworth and Chisworth to Swen, evidently a Dane, Ludworth to Brun, Chunal to Eilmer &c.: in the Domesday book of William the Conqueror, the whole of Glossop is put down as forfeited to the Crown: he afterwards gave it to his natural son, William Peveril; his son Richard, however, being disinherited by Henry I. for the crime of poisoning the Earl of Cheshire, Glossop was again confiscated to the Crown: Henry II. in 1157, gave Glossop and the advowson of the church there to the Abbey of Basingwerke, “in free and perpetual alms for ever,” and this abbey had acquired before the fifteenth century nearly all the hamlets now comprising the Glossop estate; Glossop remained the property of Basingwerke Abbey till the dissolution of the lesser abbeys in 1536, when Henry VIII. seized it with other conventual property and afterwards granted it to the Earl of Shrewsbury, who in turn exchanged it with the Duke of Norfolk for estates in Ireland, and in this noble family it has remained to the present time : the present proprietor, lord of the manor and principal landowner, is the Rt. Hon. Lord Howard of Glossop J.P. cousin to the present Duke of Norfolk.
The land is partly moor and pasturage. The acreage is 40,136, being one of the largest parishes in England ; of the township, 18,432; rateable value, £18,543 ; the population of the township in 1881 was 6,153 ; the population within the municipal borough in 1881 was 19,574 : Glossop Dale population in 1881 was 21,393, including 4 officers and 61 inmates in the workhouse.
Parish Clerk, James Winterbottom.

Whitfield is a township and parish, formed in 1844, one mile south from Glossop, and partly within the borough, in the parish, county court district and union of Glossop, rural deanery of Glossop, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The new parish originally contained the whole of the townships of Chunal, Dinting, and Hadfield, and parts of the townships of Glossop, Whitfield, and Padfield, but since February 3, 1872, the churches of St. Andrew at Hadfield, and of the Holy Trinity, in Dinting Vale, have been built and consecrated, and the townships of Hadfield and Dinting, with parts of the townships of Padfield, Glossop and Whitfield, have been legally assigned to them : the last severance is recorded in the “London Gazette” of February 14th, 1879, and from that date the new parish of St. James has comprised the township of Chunal and parts of the townships of Glossop and Whitfield. The church of St. James is a handsome building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and a tower with spire and pinnacles at the north-west angle, containing 7 bells, which were added in 1884 : the nave and aisles are covered by a single span roof, though the well-moulded stone pillars which separate them suggest the idea that a clerestory was once included in the plans : the chancel is wider than it is long, and the vestry is inconveniently small: a staircase to the gallery has been built so substantially at the south-west angle, that it is capable of bearing a second spire, and this would complete a west front of exceptional beauty : a clock was placed in the tower in 1885 : the organ, erected in i860, is particularly fine and was enlarged in 1879 and 1880 : a handsome brass eagle lectern was presented by Miss Wood, of Whitfield House, in 1882 : there are 1,100 sittings, 550 being free. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £333 6s. 8d. gross, nett .£275, with residence, in the gift of Daniel Wood esq. Samuel Wood esq. and Mrs. Emma Wood, and held since 1872 by the Rev. Charles Bruce Ward M.A. of Oriel College, Oxford : W. P. Fairclough F.C.O. MUS. BAC. Dublin, is organist. The vicarage house is a stone building, contiguous to the church, and has been considerably enlarged since 1872. The Sumner Memorial Catholic Church, Sumner street, dedicated to St. Mary, founded and endowed by the late Francis James Sumner esq. J.P., D.C.L., of Park Hall, Hayfield, and erected in 1887 by his heirs on a site granted by the late Lord Howard, of Glossop, at a cost of about £17,000, including £5,000 for endowment, is a handsome edifice of local stone in the Early English style, consisting of octagonal chancel, clerestoried nave of eight bays, north and south aisles, side chapels, baptistery, south porch and eastern Angelus bell turret with spire and ornamental finial, rising to a height of 90 feet and containing a sweetly toned bell by Barwell, of Birmingham : a very handsome stone screen separates the chancel from the side chapels, and a pitch pine screen, the upper portion of which is filled with stained glass, is placed at the western entrance : the altar and tabernacle are of exquisite design, and elaborately carved in alabaster, marble and Caen stone : the pulpit is entirely of Caen stone, and harmonises with the altar: the north and south aisles have two-light-windows, with tracery heads very beautifully moulded : the side chapels and chancel windows are of different design, but very fine : the great west window is very chaste, being divided into six lights by neatly moulded mullions ; the tracery is a combination of all the other windows very scientifically worked out and forming one grand whole : all the windows are filled with cathedral tinted glass, in geometrical designs : a fine organ has been erected on the north side of the chancel at a cost of about £500 : there are sittings for 900 persons. There are also the following places of worship :— Congregational, Littlemoor, built in 1811, 800 sittings; Congregational, Mount Pleasant, built in 1868, 600 sittings; United Methodist Free Church, built in 1854, 400 sittings ; Wesleyan, built in 1832 and enlarged 1885, 400 sittings. Littlemoor Congregational Schools, Victoria Street, erected in 1881 at a cost, including fittings, of about £3,000, chiefly raised by subscriptions, form a handsome stone structure in the Italian Gothic style ; it will hold 700 scholars : it is used as a day and Sunday school, and also for lectures, concerts, &c. ; by removing vertically sliding shutters, the school-room and class rooms opening therefrom and from the front gallery will seat 1,000 persons: the front entrance facing Victoria Street is surmounted by a turret 75 feet high. The Right Hon. Lord Howard of Glossop J.P. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The inhabitants are employed in the large cotton and paper mills just outside the township, and in the bleach works within its boundaries. The soil is various ; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are oats, hay and pasture. The acreage is 1,577; rateable value, .£13,798; the population in 1881 was 7,854.
Charlestown is a place here.
Sexton, James Joseph Turner.
Wall Letter Box cleared at 9.45 a.m. & 7 p.m.; on Sunday, 6 p.m

Chunal is a township, 2 miles south from Glossop, and partly within that borough, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, parish, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Glossop, and in the ecclesiastical parish of Whitfield. The acreage is 885 ; rateable value, £680; the population in 1881 was 98.

Dinting is also a township of this parish, forming part of the ecclesiastical district of Dinting Vale, which was formed in 1875 ; and being partly also in the borough of Glossop, 11¾ miles from Manchester, on the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway, which has a station here. Calico printing forms the chief source of employment. The church of the Holy Trinity, erected by the Wood family of Glossop, and opened July, 1875, is a stone building in the later style of the thirteenth century, and consists of apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, an organ chamber, forming a transept on the south side, a vestry on the north side of the chancel, and a tower 18 feet square, rising from the west end of the south aisle, with angle buttresses tapering upwards, and terminating in pinnacles ; the tower is surmounted by an octagonal spire, reaching a height of 137 feet from the ground to the top of the vane, and contains 6 bells : in the western gable is a circular window, 13 feet diameter, with foliate tracery: the entrance to the church is by a porch under the tower, with another door on the north side of the nave, available in case of emergency: the nave is divided from the aisles by circular stone piers, with moulded caps and bases, and the walls lined with cream coloured bricks, relieved by bands of brown, the arches and window jambs being of the same material: the choir opens into the nave by an archway 16 feet wide and 24 feet high, with stone moulded jambs, carved caps and a richly-moulded arch : the pulpit is of oak, and the reading desks and seats of pitch pine varnished : the chancel roof has groined moulding ribs filled with boarding, varnished, and is supported on stone corbels, with carved bosses at the apex : the central window of the apse is a memorial to John H. Wood esq. who died 16th December, 1869, and was placed by his widow : the font, also presented by Mrs. Wood, is in an arched recess at the west end of the south aisle, and is of bath stone on a shaft of red marble : a powerful organ was presented by Mrs. Wood in 1882 : the building has sittings for 630 persons, 90 of which are free. The register dates from the year 1875. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300 with residence, in the gift of Mrs. Wood and D. and S. Wood esqs. and held since 1882 by the Rev. William John Canton. There is a Methodist New Connexion Chapel, built in 1860: there are sittings for 300 persons, 100 of which are free. The area is 586 acres ; rateable value, £6,929 : the population in 1881 was 2,715.
Wall Letter Box cleared at 8.30 a.m. &; 6.30 p.m. & on sundays at 5.15 p.m

Brookfield is a place 1 mile north of Dinting station. Here is a cotton mill. The Congregational chapel, erected in 1883, is a building of stone in the Early English style : all the windows are stained.
Wall Letter Box cleared at 7.50 a.m. & 6 p.m. & on sundays at 8.30 a.m.

Gamesley is a place 1 mile west of Dinting station, and contains a spring mattress manufactory. In the hamlet of Gamesley are the remains of a Roman camp, called by the country people from time immemorial “Melandra” and “Melandra Castle;” it stands on a bold eminence at the confluence of the Course Brook and the Etherow, and traces of walls and gates may be plainly discerned : tablets inscribed to Roman emperors, coins of the Emperor Domitian, a large sword and other objects of archaeological interest have been found here : the summit is still called “The Castle Yard,” and a tradition exists that Melandra was one of the strongholds of the ancient British in the time of the Saxon invasion. On an opposite hill, called “Mousley,” is the site of another traditional castle. Some stones which came from Mousley Castle, inscribed with rude hieroglyphics, are still to be seen walled into the gable end of a house at Hadfield, and are evidently Runic. Both Melandra and Mousley, it may be remarked, lie on the iter or Roman road from the Camp of Mancunium (Manchester) to that of Ad Petuarium (Brough, near Castleton).
Wall Letter Box cleared at 8.15 a.m. & 6.15 pm.; sundays at 9 a.m

Hadfield is a township and parish, on the borders of Cheshire, within the borough of Glossop, 2 miles north-west from Glossop, and, with the adjoining township of Padfield, was formed in 1875 into the parish of St. Andrew or chapelry of Hadfield, having a station on the Manchester and Sheffield railway, and is in the county court district of Glossop. The church of St. Andrew is a modern Gothic building, consecrated July 4th, 1874, and consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a door on the north side without porch, south transept, baptistery, and a central bell turret with 1 bell, which marks externally the division between the nave and the chancel; the chancel is enclosed on either side by a screen, and has an organ chamber on the north, the east end forming an hexagonal apse, lighted by two stained windows : the nave is lighted chiefly from the west end, besides large dormer windows high up in the roof, serving also as ventilators : at the west end, near the entrance and within an arched recess, is the baptistery, containing a font worked in native stone and presented in 1874 to the church by Mr. James Sherriff, of Christ Church, Canterbury, New Zealand, and formerly of Hadfield, it having previously obtained a second prize at the Colonial exhibition, Victoria: a richly embroidered communion cloth has been contributed by the vicar of Whitfield, the Rev. C. B. Ward M.A. and the cost of credence-table defrayed by Mr. Braddock, churchwarden : a new organ with three manuals and grand pedal organ was erected in 1879 at a cost of about £650, by James Sidebottom esq. J.P. of Millbrook, Hadfield, as a memorial to his wife: the total cost of the church was about £4,250 : there are 538 sittings, all free. The register of baptisms dates from July 5th, 1874, and of marriages from August, 1875. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £250, in the gift of five trustees, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Joseph Hadfield, of St. Bees. The Catholic church of St. Charles Borromeo is a handsome edifice of stone, in the Early English style, erected in 1858 by the late Lord Howard of Glossop, and consisting of nave, two aisles, sacristy, baptistery, organ loft and western tower with a finely-toned bell, by James Murphy of Dublin, a memorial to the late Father McDonnell: there is a beautifully carved high altar of stone, in memory of the late Father Hickey: there are several figures carved in stone, and many valuable oil paintings, the principal one—suspended over the high altar—being a copy of Raphael’s “Transfiguration”: there is a magnificent organ : the church contains several monuments of the Howard family. Adjoining the church is the presbytery, occupied by the Very Rev. Canon H. J. Sabela, priest. A convent—which will be a magnificent building— is now (1887) in course of erection at the south side of the church, at the cost of John Dalton esq. of Rose bank, Hollingworth. There are a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1878, a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1876, and a United Methodist Free church, built in 1876 and enlarged in 1885. There are several cotton mills, in which the population are employed, and political clubs with news and amusement rooms. Hadfield Hall, the ancient mansion of the Hadfields of Hadfield, dating from 1646, has been converted into a couple of cottages ; some years ago the handsome black oak carving was taken down and erected in a farm house on the Glossop estate. The township contains 357 acres ; rateable value £8,569 ; the population in 1881 was 5,934.
Post, Money Order & Telegraph Office & Savings Bank & Annuity Office—Squire Garlick, postmaster.—Letters received via Manchester. Delivery, 7.30 a.m. 1.3 p.m. & 5:15 p.m.; dispatch, 10.45 a.m. 1 p.m. & 7.15 p.m. Sunday delivery, 8.30 a.m.; dispatched 7.15 p.m. Money orders granted & paid & Savings Bank business transacted from 8 a.m. till 6.30 p.m. on Saturdays till 8 p.m. Wall Letter Boxes :—Hadfield cross, cleared 7.50 a.m. & 5.45 p.m. ; Woolley bridge, cleared 8 a.m. & 6.45 p.m., Sundays 3.45 a.m. ; Station road, cleared 8 a.m. & 6.45 p.m.

Padfield, adjoining Hadfield station, 1½ miles north from Glossop, and partly within that borough, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, parish, union, petty sessional division and county court district of GIossop, is included with Hadfield in the ecclesiastical parish of St. Andrew’s. A Wesleyan chapel to seat 400 persons, Sunday school attached, was erected in 1880 at a cost of £2,000. The population are employed in the cotton mills. The acreage is 643 ; rateable value, £17,169; the population in 1871 was 1,687, and in 1881 2,485.
Letters through Manchester via Hadfield arrive at 8.30 a.m. 3.30 p.m. & 6 p.m. Wall letter box cleared at 8.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.

Official Establishments, Local Institutions, &c.
Post, Money Order & Telegraph Office, Savings Bank ; & Insurance & Annuity Office, Norfolk square.—Miss Sarah Elizabeth Woodhead, post mistress. Letters arrive via Manchester at 6.30 a.m. 2.55 p.m. & 5 p.m.; dispatched to Manchester & all parts at 10 a.m. 1.20 p.m. 5 p.m. 7.45 p.m. & 9 p.m. Money order office & post office savings bank open from 9 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.; on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Telegraph office open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m

COUNTY MAGISTRATES.
Howard of Glossop Rt. Hon. Lord, Glossop hall, Glossop
Buckley Capt. Frederic, Hurst, Glossop
Carver Thomas esq
Rhodes William Shepley esq. Mersey bank, Hadfield
Shepley William esq. Brookfield, Glossop
Sidebottom James esq. Millbrook, Hadfield
Sidebottom Thomas Harrop esq. Etherow house, Hadfield
Wood John esq. Arden, Stockport
Wood Samuel esq. Talbot house, Glossop
Clerk to the Magistrates, Thos. Michael Ellison, Ellison st
Petty Sessions are held at the Town hall every three weeks, at 10.30 a.m. Thursdays. The following places are included in the division :—Glossop, Mellor Charlsworth, Ludworth, Chisworth, Simmondley, Marple Bridge, Chunal & Compstall Bridge.

BOROUGH MAGISTRATES.
Mayor—James Sidebottom
Capt. Frederic Buckley
William Dawson
Edward Partington
Herbert Rhodes
James Rhodes
Samuel Rowbottom
James Shepley
William Shepley
William Sidebottom M.P.
Joseph Stafford
John Aloysius Wheetman
Samuel Wood
Clerk, T. M. Ellison
The Magistrates meet at the Town hall every monday at 2.30 pm

CORPORATION.
Mayor—James Sidebottom esq. J.P.
Aldermen.
James Shepley, Edward Wooley, Samuel Rowbottom, Joseph Stafford, Henry Buckley, James Sidebottom
Councillors.
All Saints’ Ward.
Joseph Buckley, Samuel Sidebottom, Luke Darwent, John Hadfield ,Thomas Rawstorne, Daniel H. Hesslegrave
St. James’ Ward.
Cyrus Garside, William Eversden, Captain Edward Partington, Thomas Pearson Hunter, Charles Greaves, William McMellon
Hadfield Ward.
William Dawson, William S. Rhodes, William Sargentson, James Sargentson, Herbert Rhodes, Fletcher Rigge

Officers of the Corporation and Urban Sanitary Authority.
Town Clerk, Thomas Michael Ellison, Ellison street
Borough Treasurer, W. H. Hollingbery, Norfolk square
Assistant Treasurer, T. S. Bowden, Norfolk square
Medical Officer of Health, James Rhodes, Victoria street
Public Analyst, J. Carter Bell, Manchester
Surveyor, Robert Jepson, Town hall
School Attendance Officer, T. Rhodes, Victoria street
Superintendent of Waterworks, John Garner, 46 Church st
Head Constable & Inspector of Weights & Measures, William Henry Hodgson, Ellison street
Inspector of Police, Ernest Charlton, Hadfield
Inspector of Nuisances, Samuel Dane, High street east
Collectors, General District Rate, H. G. Maulkinson, Padfield; Borough & Watch, E. Hadfield, Ellison street; Water, Thomas Nield, Norfolk street ; Highway, W. McNath, Hadfield

INSURANCE AGENTS.
County Fire, W. Hall, 67 Norfolk street. & W. G. Hollinworth, 17 Simmondley lane
General Fire & Life, J. France, 132 High street west
Guardian, H. E. Evason, 125 Pike’s lane
Liverpool & London & Globe, J. Hardman, 48 High st. west
Northern Assurance, W. Thorpe, 96 St, Mary’s road
Phoenix Fire, J. Higginbottom, 43 High, street west
Provident Life, W. G. Hollingsworth, 17 Simmondley lane
Royal Exchange, J. H. Goldsmith, Summer street
Sun Fire& Life, G. T. Stewart, 110 St. Mary’s road

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.
Borough Police Office, Ellison street, William Henry Hodgson, head constable ; 3 sergeants & 14 constables
Burial Board, Ellison street, Thos. Michael Ellison, clerk
Cemetery, Cemetery road, Hadfield
Cheshire & Derbyshire Rifle Volunteers (4th) (L, M & N Companies); head-quarters of Derbyshire Co’s. Town hall, John Wood, capt. commandant L Co.; Edward Partington, capt. commandant, M co. & Frederick Buckley, capt. commandant, N co. ; W. E. S. Burnett L.R.C.P.EDIN. surgeon
Cottage Hospital, St. Mary’s road, Albert Andrew, William Henry Hunt, Duncan John Mackenzie & James Rhodes, medical officers, Mrs. Mary Beeley, matron, F. Hawke esq. hon. sec
County Court, His Honor Thomas Ellison, judge; John Hibbert, registrar & high bailiff ; Arthur Moore, assistant registrar & deputy high bailiff; Samuel Hollingworth, 1a Victoria street & Robert Wooley Sykes, 9 Norfolk square (the bailiffs appointed under the Agricultural Holdings Act); office, Norfolk square, open from 10 to 4; on Saturdays from 10 till 1. The County Court is held at the Town hall, and comprises the following parishes:—Armfield & district of Tintwistle, Brownside, Charlesworth, Chisworth, Chinley, Chunal, Dinting, Gamesley, Glossop, Hadfield, Hollingworth, Kinder, Padfield, Rhodes, Phoside, Rowarth; Saltersbrook, Simmondley, Torside, Waterside, Whitfield, Woodhead, & Wooley Bridge
Free Library & Public Hall, Fauvel road
Inland Revenue Office, Lord street, Valentine Cass, officer

PUBLIC OFFICERS.
Stamp Distributor, Miss S. E. Woodhead, Post office, Norfolk square

Glossop Union.
Glossop union comprises the following places: Charlesworth, Chisworth, Chunal, Dinting, Glossop or Glossop Dale, Hadfield, Ludworth, Padfield, Simmondley, & Whitfield ; the population of the union in 1881 was 23,550 ; rateable value £78,782
Board day every alternate Wednesday, at 3 p.m
Clerk to Guardians & School Attendance & Assessment Committees, T. S. Bowden, Wellgate
Treasurer, William Henry Hollingbery, Norfolk sq. Glossop
Assistant Overseers, E. Hadfield, Ellison street & Jesse Higginbotham, Ludworth
Collector, E. Hadfield, Ellison street
Relieving Officer & Vaccination Officer, John Wood Bowden, Fitzalan street
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, Glossop district, W. H. Hunt, Norfolk street ; Whitfield district, James Rhodes, 25 Victoria street
Superintendent Registrar, Henry Barber, New Mills; deputy, A. Barber, New Mills Workhouse, to hold 144 inmates, George Hadfield, master ; W. H. Hunt, surgeon ; Mrs. Hadfield, matron
Registrar of Births & Deaths, Glossop sub district, T. S. Bowden, Wellgate ; deputy, J. W. Bowden, Fitzalan street
Registrar of Marriages, T. S. Bowden, Wellgate; deputy, J. W. Bowden, Fitzalan street

Rural Sanitary Authority.
Clerk, T. S. Bowden, Wellgate
Treasurer, William Henry Hollingbery, Norfolk sq. Glossop
Medical Officer of Health, James Rhodes, Victoria street
Inspector of Nuisances, William McMath, Hadfield
School Attendance Officer, Isaac Redfern, Victoria street

PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of services;
Parish Church, Rev. John Dickenson Knowles M.A. vicar ; Rev. George Oswald Lund, curate : 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m
Holy Trinity, Dinting, Rev. William John Canton, vicar; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; wed. 7.30 p.m
St. James’, Whitfield, Rev. Charles Bruce Ward M.A. vicar ; Rev. Edward Thomas Taylor, curate; 10.30 a.m, & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m
St. Andrew, Hadfield, Rev. Joseph Hadfield, vicar; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; wed. 7.30 p.m
All Saints’ Catholic, Rev. Henry Koerfer, priest; 9 a.m., 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m
Sumner Memorial Church, Catholic (St. Mary’s), Sumner st. Very Rev. Canon Charles W. Tasker & Rev. John Burns, priests; 8.30, 9.30 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; thur. 7.30p.m Congregational, Littlemoor; Rev. William Latham Parker; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; wed. 7.30 p.m
Congregational, St. Mary’s road, Rev. James Kendal Kirby, minister ; 10.30. a.m. & 6 p.m; wed. 7,30 p.m
Primitive Methodist, Shrewsbury street, Rev. William Goodman, minister ; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; wed. 7.30p.m
Reformers, Howard street, Rev. Alexander Holland, minister ; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; wed. 7.30 p.m
St. James’ Mission Room, George street, ministers various; 3.15 p.m
St. Paul’s Mission Room, High street west, ministers various; 3 p.m
United Methodist Free Church, Whitfield, Rev. William Lee Roberts, minister ; 2.30 & 6 p.m. ; thur. 7.30 p.m
United Methodist Free Church Tabernacle, Hall street, Rev. William Lee Roberts, minister ; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m
Unitarian, Fitzalan street, Rev. William Harrison, minister ; 10.45 a.m. & 6.30 p.m Wesleyan, High street west, Rev. Thomas Horton & Rev. Robert Eardley B.A. ministers; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; thur. 7.30 p.m. ; Wesley street, 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; thur. 7.30 p.m.; Whitfield, 2.30. & 6 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m.

SCHOOLS.
Endowed, Old Glossop, with master’s residence, built & endowed in 1852 by Henry Charles, 13th Duke of Norfolk, & enlarged in 1887, for 250 boys, 250 girls & 100 infants ; average attendance, 110 boys, 70 girls & 65 infants; Arthur Henry Roberts, master ; Miss Sophia Brook, mistress ; Miss Mary Mycroft, infants’ mistress
Endowed Whitfield (mixed),with master’s residence, founded in 1779 by Joseph Hague esq. of Park Hall, Hayfield, & endowed with £39 per annum, for 144 children ; average attendance, 135; Walter P. Evason, master ; Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Evason, mistress
Infants’, Waterside, Hadfield, built in 1872 for 170 children ; average attendance, 106 ; Miss Ruth Turner, mistress
National, Dinting, built in 1875 for 169 boys, 156 girls & 82 infants ; average attendance, 125 boys, 111 girls & 64 infants; William John Horsey, master; Miss Alice Ann Adshead, mistress ; Miss Clara Riley, infants’ mistress
National, Hadfield (mixed) is a good building of stone erected 1835 for 550 children ; average attendance, 434 ; Alfred Walker, master
National, Talbot street (girls & infants), built in 1880 for 250 children ; average attendance, 162 ; Miss Jane Tattersall, mistress
National, Whitfield (mixed), for 560 children; average attendance, 360; George Edward Cox, master ; Misses S. A. Morriss, A. Green, J. B. Shepley & S. T. Wood,mistresses
Day School, Padfield (mixed), erected 1887 for 217 children; average attendance, 160 ; William Lees Marshall, master
Congregational, Victoria street (mixed) built in 1881 for 700 children ; average attendance 220 ; Mr. Joseph Walkden master; Miss M. J. G. Scaiff & Miss M. E. Wright,mistresses
Catholic, St. Mary’s road ; Sisters of the Order of St. Paul, teachers
Catholic, Old Glossop (mixed) for 70 children ; average attendance, 50 ; Sisters of the Order of St. Paul, teachers
Catholic, Hadfield (mixed), for 200 children; average attendance, 180 ; Sisters of the Order of St. Paul, teachers
Wesleyan, High street (mixed & infants), erected 1851 for 298 children ; average attendance, 78 boys, 61 girls & 77 infants; James Parker, master ; Mrs. Maria Parker, infants’ mistress
Wesleyan, Old Glossop (mixed), erected 1824, re-built 1876, for 225 children ; average attendance 146 ; Thomas R. Haigh, master ; Miss Mary Alice Lee, mistress
Wesleyan, Hadfield (mixed), erected 1808, enlarged 1822 & re-built 1854, for 300 children ; average attendance, 200 ; James Nelson, master ; Miss Annie Hall & Miss Emma Bramhall, mistresses

RAILWAY STATIONS.
Glossop, John Ludlam, station master
Dinting, William Vernon, station master
Hadfield. Richard Bratherton. station master

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Andrew Albert, 14 High street west
Andrew Walter, 53 Hollin Cross lane
Armitage John Thomas, 77 Norfolk st
Armitage Mrs. 41 Norfolk street
Band Henry, Slatelands
Bennett Miss, 88 St. Mary’s road
Booth William Alfred, Slatelands
Booth Wright, Rose cottage, North road
Bowden John, Surrey street
Bowden Misses, 14 Wesley street
Bowden Thomas Swindells, 3 Wellgate
Bowden William, 102 St. Mary’s road
Bramall William, 16 Hollin Cross lane
Buckley Captain Frederic J.P. Hurst
Burns Rev. John [Catholic], 1 Sumner st
Chapman Mrs: 43 Norfolk street
Cox Geo. Edwd. Rose cot. Hollin Cross la
Dane Samuel, 41 Norfolk street
Darwent Thomas, Hall street
Darwent William Henry, 21 Lord street
Davis Charles, Hurst
Dearnaley Josph. Parkfield ho. North rd
Eardley Rev. Robert B.A. [Wesleyan], Alexander villa, Talbot road
Elliott William, 69 Surrey street
Ellison Lieut. Thomas Michael, jun, Ryecroft house, Hall street
Ellison Thos. Michl. Ryecroft ho. Hall st
Evason Henry Edward, 125 Pikes lane
Evason Walter P. 14 Hague street
Eversden William, 2 Railway street
Fairclough Walter P. MUS. BAC., F.C.O. 4 Bank street
Fielding Samuel, 9 Gladstone street
Garside Alfred, Surrey street
Garside Benjamin, 71 Norfolk street
Garside Luke, 56 Surrey street
Gillott John Heron, 20 Hollin Cross la
Goldsmith James Henry, Sumner street
Goodman Rev. William [Primitive Methodist], Shrewsbury street
Greaves Charles, 39 Norfolk street
Hadfield Charles, 90 St. Mary’s road
Hadfield Francis Charles John, Hillside, North road
Hadfield Henry, Cow brook
Hadfield Misses, Lees hall, Turn Lee
Hadfield Mrs. Holly Mount, Norfolk st
Hadfield Thomas, 75 Norfolk street
Haigh Thomas R. 13 Norfolk street
Hall William, Park view, North road
Hampson Joseph, 5 Bank street
Hampson Mrs. Highfield ho. Talbot rd
Hardman Henry Charles, Hurst
Hardman John, 47 Norfolk street
Harrison Rev. William [Unitarian], 23 Lord street
Hatch Thomas, 53 Norfolk street
Hawke Francis, Spire Hollin house
Hawke Robert G. Norfolk square
Higginbottom Charles, 113 Victoria st
Holland Rev. Alexander [Wesleyan Reform Union], 29 Norfolk street
Hollingberry William Henry, Norfolk sq
Horton Rev. Thomas [Wesleyan], Alexander villa, Talbot road
Howard of Glossop Lord J.P. Glossop hall; & 19 Rutland gate, London s w
Howarth Mrs. 100 St. Mary’s road
Hunt William, Cowbrook cottage
Hunt William Henry, Norfolk street
Hunter Thomas Pearson, Talbot road
Hurst John, 43 Sheffield road
Hyde William, 7 Lord street
Jackson Walter, Hobroyd
Kelly James, 37 Norfolk street
Kirby Rev. James Kendal [Congregational], 27 Norfolk street
Knowles Rev. John Dickenson M.A. [vicar], Vicarage, Old Glossop
Koerfer Rev. Hy. [Catholic], Old Glossop
Lawton James, 79 High street east
Leech Alfred, 49 Norfolk street
Lomas Mrs. 20 Howard street
Lund Rev. George Oswald [curate of All Saints], Hall street
Mackenzie Duncan John M.D. 64 & 66 High street west
McConnel Gordon, Holm dale, North rd
Merry James, 86 St. Mary’s road
Miller Thomas, 13 Lord street
Mitchell Julian, 35 Norfolk street
Moran F. W. G. Arundel vils. North rd
Moran Mrs. 15 Norfolk street
Nelson James, Milford house, North rd
Newton George, Arundel vils. North rd
Nuttall James, Sheffield road Nut tall Laurence, Sheffield road
Parker James, 98 St. Mary’s road
Parker Rev. William Latham [Congregational], Littlemoor manse
Partington Captain Edward, Easton, High street east
Pennington Miss, 57 Norfolk street
Pilkington Peter, 3 Bank street .
Potts Mrs. 28 Talbot street
Proctor Miss, 57 Norfolk street
Rawstorne Thomas, 28 High street east
Rhodes James, 25 Victoria street
Rhodes John, 127 Victoria street
Roberts Rev. Wm. Lee [United Methodist Free Church], 45 Sheffield road
Robinson Ralph Bernard, 23 Arundel st
Robinson Saml. Holly Bank, Talbot rd
Rowbottom John, 31 Hall street Rowbottom
Samuel, Shepley street
Schofield Alfred Ernest, Surrey street
Sheppard Robert, 23 Norfolk street
Stafford Joseph, 61 Norfolk street
Stewart George T. 110 St. Mary’s road
Swire John, 6 Spire Hollin
Swire Thomas, 8 Spire Hollin
Sykes SI. Wm. Bennett, 84 St. Mary’s rd
Tasker Very Rev. Canon Charles W. [Catholic], 1 Sumner street
Taylor David, 55 Norfolk street
Taylor Rev. Edward Thomas [curate of St. James’], Spire Hollin
Thorp Walter, Talbot road
Thorp William, 96 St. Mary’s road
Torkington William, 59 Norfolk street
Tweedale John William, 45 Norfolk st
Tweedale Mrs. 45 Norfolk street
Wagstaff Joseph, 22 Howard street
Wagstaffe John, Hollywood, Sheffield rd
Walton Mrs. Moorside J
Ward Rev. Charles Bruce M.A. [vicar], Whitfield r|
Warhurst Mrs. 24 Howard street
Wheeler James, 73 Norfolk Street
Wheetman John Aloysius, Wren Nest ho
Wilkinson Thomas, 2 Sheffield road
Williamson Mrs. 75 High street east
Wilson James, 33 Hall street
Wood Captain John B.A. Whitfield ho
Wood Daniel, Moorfield
Wood Mrs. Whitfield house
Wood Samuel J.P. Talbot house
Wragg Samuel, 63 Norfolk street
Wright Thomas, 20 Fitzalan street
Wyatt Mrs. Charlestown villa

COMMERCIAL.
Allen Edward, mill manager, Turn Lee
Allen Michael, beer retailer, 64 Chapel st
Andrew Albert L.K.Q.C.P. IREL. physician, 14 High street west
Andrew Walter (sec. to Olive & Partington), 53 Hollin Cross lane
Armitage Charles Henry, grocer, 93 High street west
Armitage John, draper, 84 High st west
Armitage John, jun. fruiterer, 82 High street west
Arnold Ralph, coal mercht. railway yd
Arrowsmith James, clog & pattern maker, 132 High street west
Ashcroft Mary (Mrs.) & Jane (Miss), dress & mantle makers, 98 Victoria st
Ashton Geo. drpr.&grcr. 8 Gladstone st
Ashton Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 1 Princess street
Ashton Matthew, umbrella maker, 44 High street west
Ashton Wm. tea dealer, 5B, Victoria st
Atkin Eliza (Miss), shopkeeper, 27 St. Mary's road
Atkin William Edward, coal merchant, 36 St. Mary’s road & Railway yard
Atkinson Mary (Mrs.), beer retailer & builder, Old Cross
Atkinson Wm. grocer, 117 High st. west
Aveson Benjamin, watch repairer, 18 Primrose lane
Axon Joshua, newsagt. 232 High st we
Bagshaw John, wheelwright, Manor st
Bailey Thomas, shopkeeper, 8 Chapel st
Bamforth Caroline & Alice (Misses), confectioner, 136 Victoria street
Bamforth Mary& Barber Mary(Misses), dress makers, 2 Whitfield Cross
Bamforth Sam, ironworks manager, Lily bank, Hollin Cross lane
Bamforth Wm. shopkpr. 13 Free town
Band Charles Downs, mason & builder, 27 Sheffield road
Barber Albert, hair dresser, umbrella maker &, furniture dealer, 6 Norfolk st
Barber Alice (Miss), confectioner, 92 High street west
Barber James, shopkeeper, 17 Hope st
Barber Joe, shopkeeper, 16 Hall street
Barnes Jas. & Son, drapers & milliners, 31 & 33 High street west
Barnes William, grocer & corn dealer, 65 High street west
Barratt John, mill manager, 15 Lord st
Barton Amos, contractor, 25 Charles st
Bates Harriet (Mrs.), tripe dealer, 13 Hadfield place
Batty George, joiner, 57 Chapel street
Beard James, farmer, Whitfield moor
Beard Jn. drapr. & millinr. 3 High st. we
Beard John, shopkpr. 142 High st. west
Beard Saml. news agent, 44 St. Mary’s rd
Beech Jonathan, china & glass dealer, 7 High street west
Beeley James, farmer, Moorfield
Beeley Joseph, draper, 2 Norfolk street
Beeley Joshua, yeoman, Moorfield
Beeley Nancy (Mrs.), Howard Arms p.h. 17 High street
Beeley Robert, yeoman, Moorfield
Beeley Samuel, draper, 18 High st. east
Bennett Jas. beer rtlr, 21 Charlestown rd
Bennett James, joiner, 11 Cliffe road
Bennett Joseph; farmer, 16 Hague st
Bennett Robt. pork butcher, 96 Victoria st
Bennett Robert, shopkeeper & butcher, 23 Freetown
Bennett Will, pork butcher, 6 Bennett’s fold, Sheffield rd
Bentley Joseph, farmer, Heath
Benton Wm. stone mason, 9 Princess st
Blackwell Samuel, brass & iron founder, George street
Boardman William Hyde, shoeing & jobbing smith, High street west
Boon Thomas, shopkeeper, 70 Freetown
Booth Wm. Alfred & Co. wool spinners, Arundel st
Booth Eli, shopkeeper, 211 High st. east
Booth Eliza (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 79 Gladstone street
Booth John, beer retailer, 14 Milltown
Booth Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr. 5 Arundel st
Booth Nancy (Mrs.), farmer, Hobroyd
Booth Wright, brewery traveller, Rose cottage, North road
Bottomley William Henry, grocer & corn dealer, 11 High street east
Bowden Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 12 High street east
Bowden John, hardware dealer & tripe dresser, 1 Collier street
Bowden John Wood,relieving & vaccination officer, & deputy registrar of births, deaths & marrgs. 1 Fitzalan st
Bowden Joseph, shopkpr. 36 Church st
Bowden Samuel, farmer, Heath
Bowden Saml. shopkpr. 119 High st. east
Bowden Thomas Swindells, registrar of births, deaths & marriages, & clerk to the guardians, school attendance & assessment committees, & rural sanitary authority, 3 Well gate
Bowden Wm. joiner & buildr. Bernard st
Bowden William Henry, builder & timber merchant, Howard street
Bowker Wm. dry soap manufr. Bank st
Bradbury Chas. butcher, 139 Victoria st
Bradbury Eliza (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 16 Princess street
Bradbury Martha (Mrs.), grocer, 1 Charlestown road
Bradbury Rbt. hair dresser, 6 Victoria st
Bradbury Thomas, chemist & dentist, 1 High street west
Bradbury Wm. gamekeeper, Sheffield rd
Bradbury Wm. painter, 133 High st. ea
Braddock Eli, comsn. agt. 73 High st. ea
Bradley Geo. beer retailer, 5 Bernard st
Bramhall Jabez, confctnr. 131 High st. we
Bramhall Thos. beer retailer, Market st
Bramwell Luke, confctnr. 98 High st. we
Bramwell Thos. shopkpr. 36 Norfolk st
Bridge Thos. Globe inn, 144 High st. we
Briggs & Jowett, confctnrs. 46 High st. we
Briggs Agnes (Miss), confectioner, see Briggs & Jowett
Broadbent John, shopkpr. 38 Edward st
Broadhurst Kezia (Mrs), shopkeeper, 106 Gladstone street
Brooks Geo. greengrocr. 96 High st. we
Brooks Wm. shopkeeper, 3 Railway st
Brown Geo. drill instructor, 8 Pikes la
Brownhill George H. beer retailer, 120 Charlestown road
Buckley Jsph. pawnbrkr. 13 High st. we
Buckley Noah, farmer, Bridgefield
Buckley William, slater & plasterer, 23 Mount street
Bunting Jsph. hair dressr. 13 Victoria st
Bunting Joseph Hague, photographer, 103 Victoria street
Burkhard Charles, pork butcher, 28 High street west
Burns Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr. 9 Hague st
Butterfield Richard Sheppord, high school, Norfolk square
Buxton Lime Co. (Mrs. S. Waterhouse, agent), lime merchants, Howard st
Buxton Bennett, farmer, Jumble
Buxton James, farmer, Cross Cliffe
Buxton William, farmer, Whitfield Barn
Campbell David, commercial traveller, 72 High street east
Campbell David, jun. commercial traveller, 72 High street east
Carrington Samuel, shopkeeper, 12 Charlestown road
Carrington Wm. shopkpr. 64 Victoria st
Cass Valentine, inland revenue officer, 27 Lord street
Cemetery (Hadfield) (Thomas Michael Ellison, clerk to the burial board) ; offices, Ellison street
Chadwick Joel, butcher, 234 High st. we
Chadwick John, outfitter, 41 grocer & draper, 363 High street west ; & pawnbroker, 4 Cross street
Charlioner Samuel, grocer & coal merchant, 10 Gladstone street
Charlesworth Jn. buildr. Shrewsbury st
Cheshire & Derbyshire Rifle Volunteers (4th) (L, M & N Companies), John Wood, capt. commandant L Co.; Edward Partington, capt. commdnt. M Co. & Frederick Buckley, capt. commdnt. N Co. ; Dr. Burnett, surgeon ; Sergeant-Instructor, George Brown ; head quarters, Town hall
Cluskey Edward, furniture dealer, 102 High street west
Cockayne Geo. wheelwright, Primrose la
Cohen Simeon, jeweller, 88 High st. west
Collier Edward, boot repairer, 91 High street west
Collier Joseph, Norfolk Arms hotel & posting house, Norfolk square
Collier Samuel, Rose & Crown p.h. 89 High street west
Collier Wm. Albion inn, 15 Victoria st
Conner John, shopkpr. 269 High St. west
Connor Patrick, beer rtlr. 24 Arundel st
Consumers’ Tea Co. (Ollerenshaw & Co. proprietors), grocers & tea dealers, Town Hall, buildings
Cook Martha (Miss), farmer, Heath
Cooke John, hatter, 59 High street west
Cooper Moses & Son, tailors & drapers, 22 High street east
Cooper Cephas, clogger, 61 High St. east
Cooper Joseph, butcher, 18 Princess st
Cooper Thomas, farmer, Cars
Cooper Wm. Commercial inn, Charlestwn
Cottage Hospital (Albert Andrew, W. H. Hunt, Duncan John Mackenzie & James Rhodes, medical officers; F. Hawke esq. hon. sec.; Mrs, Mary Beeley, matron), St. Mary’s road
County Court Office (His Honor Thos. Ellison, judge ; John Hibbert, registrar & high bailiff ; Arthur Moore, assistant registrar & deputy high bailiff), Norfolk square
Craigh Elizabeth (Miss), dress maker, 21 Norfolk street
Crannage Alfred, watch & clock maker, 30 High street west
Crompton & Elliott, cabinet makers & undertakers, 26 High street west, & Surrey street
Cuthbert David, beer retailer, 277 High street west
Cuthbert John,tobacconist, 80 High st. we
Dalgliesh James, gas works’ manager, 14 Princess street
Dane Samuel, sanitary inspector to local board, 21 High street east
Darling Edwd. photographr. High st. we
Darwent John, ironmonger, & gas & water fitter, 7 Victoria street
Darwent Luke, farmer, Bitten hill
Davis Charles, solicitor, 6 Market st
Dearnaley James, clogger, 60 High st. west
Dearnaley Thomas, ironmonger & blacksmith, 125 High street west
Denham Daniel, stone mer. 11 Hope st
Depledge Joseph, shopkeepr. 43 King st
Dickens John, shopkpr. 114 Victoria st
Dixon John, coal dealer, 183 High street east, & Railway yard
Doodson Geo. draper, 76 High St. west
Downing Wm. tea dealer, 8 Norfolk st
Downs David, frnitr. dlr. 111 Gladstone st.
Drinkwater John, umbrella maker, 191 High street west
Dunkerley Frdk. Hairdrssr. 70 High st. we
Dutson Geo. shopkeeper, 4 Edward st
Dutton Jas. shopkeeper, 25 Norfolk st
Dutton James, shopkeeper, 6 Wellgate
Dutton Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 81 High street east
Dutton Tom, plumber, 119 High st. we
Dyson John, bill poster, Railway street
Dyson Robt. coal dealer, 126 Victoria st
Earnshaw Jnthn. beer rlr. Whitfield cross
Elliott Elias, farmer, Derbyshire level
Ellison Emily(Mrs.), cnfcnr. 20 High st. ea
Ellison Thos. Michael, solicitor & clerk to magistrates, & town clerk & clerk to the burial board, Ellison street
Ernhill Ralph, coal merchant, 99 Pike’s la
Evason Henry Edward, cashier at Lord Howard’s estate office, 125 Pike’s lane
Eversden Geo. hatter, Town Hall bldngs
Fairclough Walter P. MUS. BAC. F.C.O. professor of music, 4 Bank street
Field Henry, umbrella maker, Charlestown road
Field William, boot & shoe maker, 70 Charlestown road
Fielding Enoch & Son, watch & clock makers, 24 High street west
Fielding Charles, builder & stone dealer, 21 Whitfield cross
Fielding Christopher, mill manager, 69 Norfolk street
Fielding George, grocer, 14 Old cross
Fielding Jas. grcr. & drpr. 132 Pike’s la
Fielding Jas. shopkeeper, 20 Norfolk st
Fielding Samuel, coal merchant, 9 Gladstone street, & Railway yard
Fisher Chas. pntr. & beer rtlr. 1 Surrey st
Fletcher Sally (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 67 Victoria street
Fog Anthony, fishmonger, Victoria st
Ford John, Surrey Arms p.h., & auctioneer, 133 Victoria street
Foster Thos. beer retailer. 25 High st. ea
Fowley Joseph, nail maker, 4 Church st
France Geo. shopkeeper, 62 Victoria st
France Jas. butcher, 132 High st. west
France Joe, grocer, 123 High street, we
Free Library & Public Hall, Fauvel rd
Freemason's Lodge (Devonshire) (Geo. Brown, tyler), Norfolk Arms hotel
Freetown Working Men’s Institute (Edwin Greenwood, sec.), Kershaw st
Frost Thos. Benjamin, Crown inn, 142 Victoria street
Garlick Joseph, grocer & corn dealer, 7 Norfolk square
Garner John, manager to water works, 46 Church street
Garside Chas. shopkeeper, 26 Princes st
Garside Cyrus, timber, slate, tile & cement merchant, Glossop saw mills, Surrey street
Garside Elizabeth (Miss), dress maker, 26 Princess street
Garside Joseph, farmer, Lees Hall farm, Turn Lee
Garside William, farmer, Hurst Nook
Gas Co. (Jas. Dalgliesh, mngr. ) Arundel st
Gaskell Peter, joiner, 7 George street
Gilleat Robert, cotton waste spinner, Primrose mill
Glossop Agricultural Society (F. C. J. Hadfield, sec.), Howard chambers
Glossop Coffee Palace Co. (Charles Hall, sec.), 71 High street west
Glossop Conservative Club (Wm. Henry Darwent, sec.), 26 Norfolk street
Glossop Cricket Club (John Thorpe, sec.), 157 High street west
Glossop Dale Chronicle & North Derbyshire Reporter (William Sheppard, proprietor), Norfolk street
Glossop Dale New Industrial Co-operative Society (Wm. Walton, sec.), Norfolk square; 369 High street west; 20 Charlestown rd. & 8 Hall st
Glossop Dale Savings Bank (Francis Chas. Jn. Hadfield, actuary), open on Saturdays, 12 a.m. till 1 p.m. k 6 to 7 p.m. Howard chambers
Glossop Horticultural Society (William Henry Darwent, sec.), 21 Ford street
Glossop Ironworks Co. Lim. (Sam Bamforth, manager), Surrey street
Glossop Liberal Club (Joe France, sec.), Henry street
Glossop Richmond Building Society (Jas. H. Goldsmith, sec. ), Howard cham
Glossop Working Men’s Club (Wm. Henry Booth, sec.), St. Mary’s road
Goddard Hesketh, drpr. 51 High st. we
Goddard Jas. beer retailer, 2 Arundel st.
Goddard Jas. stne. msn. Derbyshire level
Goddard Joseph, farmer, Gnathole
Goddard Joseph, fruit, fish & game dlr. & frntr. remover, 114 High st. we
Goddard Wm. stone mason, Hague st
Goldsmith James Henry, journalist, sec. to Glossop Richmond Building Society, & agent to Royal Exchange Assurance Co. Sumner street
Goldthorpe Jonas, beer rtlr. 33 Charles st
Green Jn. confectioner, 54 High st. west
Greensmith Jn. engrvr. 20 Gladstn. st .we
Greensmith Mary (Mrs.), dressmaker, 20 Gladstone street
Greenwood Edwin, stationer & bookseller, 57 High street east
Greenwood Jn. stone mrchnt. Wellgate
Griffin John, tailor, George street
Griffiths William, newspaper reporter, 12 Howard street
Hadfield Chas. farmer, Bank bottom
Hadfield Eli, grocer, 105 High st. east
Hadfield Eli, warehouseman, 17 Lord st
Hadfield Er, assistant overseer & collector, Ellison street
Had field James, farmer, Church street
Hadfield Jn. cotton spinner,Cowbrook ml
Hadfield Jsph. greengrcr. 16 Norfolk st
Hadfield Jsph. shoemaker, 97 High st. ea
Hadfield Saml. mill manager, Sumner st
Hadfield Thomas, draper & outfitter, 29 High street west
Hadfield Walter, boot & shoema. Shepley st
Hague Jsph. mill mngr. 28 High st. ea
Hague Ruth (Miss), shopkeeper, 26 Whitfield cross
Hall John, blacksmith, Howard street
Hall Jn. tailor & drpr. Leeds ho. High st. we
Hall John, tailor & draper, Town Hall buildings, High street west
Hall Joseph, shoemaker. 201 High st ea
Hall Robt. cabinet ma. 1a, Gladstone st
Hall Samuel, butcher, 127 Hall street
Hall William, sec. to John Wood & Bros. Limited, Park view, North road
Hambleton Joshua, gamekpr. Sheffield rd
Hamnett James & Son, watch & clock makers, 14A, High street east
Hampshire James, shopkeeper, 89 Gladstone street
Hampshire Jn. stone mason, Gladstone st
Hampshire Abraham, beer retailer, 99 High street east
Hampson George, farmer, Hague street
Hampson Nancy (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 14 George street
Hardman John, dentist, 47 Norfolk street, & chemist 48 High street west
Hargreaves Thos. beer retlr. 11 Chapel st
Harrison Robert & Son, slaters & plasterers, 161 & 163 High street east
Harrison Abel, Station inn, Norfolk street; & coal & cannel factor, Railway street; & at Broadbottom; Dinting & Hadfield railway stations; & mineral water manufacturer at Simmondley Springs. See advert
Harrison Charles Smith, grocer & corn dealer, 122 High street west
Harrop James, farmer, Hill top
Harrop James, shopkeeper, 9 Freetown
Harrop John, draper, 22 High street west
Harrop John, patent medicine vendor, 71 High street east
Harrop Matthew, farmer, Hill top
Harrop Sarah (Mrs.), shopkpr. 2 Wesley st
Harrop William, farmer, Lane side
Hawke Francis, steward to Lord Howard of Glossop, Estate Offices, Spire Hollin
Hawke Robert G. architect, Norfolk sq
Heap Robert, sewing machine agent, 20 Sheffield road
Heginbotham John, Commercial inn, 137 Hall street
Helm Brian, grocer & tobacconist, 36 High street east
Hennefer Jsph. tea dlr. 218 High st. we
Hewett William, shoemaker, 8 Collier st
Heys John, clothes dealer, 1 Chapel st
Hibbert Jn. & Jsph. solicitors, Norfolk sq
Hibbert John (firm, Hibbert John & Joseph), solicitor, registrar & high bailiff of county court, Norfolk square
Hibbs Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 210 High street west
Higginbottom James, general dealer 43 High street west
Higginbottom John Samuel, draper & milliner, 17 High street west
Higginbottom William, draper & milliner, 1 Victoria street
Hill Francis, restaurant, 5 High street east
Hill Hugh, farmer, Bridgefield
Hill Mabel (Miss), dress maker, 22 Bernard street
Hill Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Cliffe road
Hill Samuel, painter, 22 Bernard street
Hill Wm. baby linen dlr. 94 High st. we
Hinchcliffe John & Co. coal merchants, Railway yard
Hinchcliffe Henry, stone dealer, 5 Lord street, & Blake quarry, Blackshaw Clough
Hinchcliffe Smith, news agent, 30 Edward street
Hindle John, shopkeeper, 88 Victoria st
Hobson Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 8 Whitfield cross
Hodgson William Henry, head constable of borough police, & inspector of weights & measures, Police Office, Ellison street
Holdgate James, painter, glazier &c. 149 High street west
Holdgate Thomas, shopkeeper, 5 Milltown
Holdgate William & Brothers, florists & seedsmen, 1 Edward street
Holdgate William, iron broker, 33 St. Mary's road
Hollingbery Wm. Hy. manager of the Manchester & Liverpool District Bank, Norfolk square
Hollingworth Ervine, news agent, 90 Victoria street
Hollingworth Samuel, stationer & news agent, 1a, Victoria street
Housley Thomas, engineer & machinist, Surrey street
Howard Fredk. hair dresser, Market st
Howard George Frost, beer retailer, 13 Bernard street
Howard Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Ashes
Howard Thomas, farmer, 43 Primrose la
Howard William, joiner & builder, 17 Hadfield street
Howarth John, news agt.128 High st. ea
Hudson Ralph, stone dealer, Turn Lee rd
Hunt William, surgeon, Cowbrook cottage, Sheffield road
Hunt William Henry, surgeon & medical officer & public vaccinator, Glossop district, & medical officer to workhouse, Norfolk street
Hunter Thomas Pearson, draper, 9 High street west
Hurst Aaron, shopkeeper, Charlestown
Hutt John, clothier, 30 & 32 High st. ea
Hyde Geo. millr. & fancy dra. 7 High st. ea
Ingerson Ann (Mrs.), dress maker, 6 Cross street
Ingerson John, tailor, 6 Cross street
Ingerson William, milliner, 1 Norfolk square & 4 Railway street
Ingham Hannah (Mrs.), dress maker, 72 High street west
Ingham Jn. builder & contractr. Surrey st
Inland Revenue Office (Valentine Cass, officer), Lord street
Irlam William Henry, stationer, printer & bookbinder, 55 High street west
Irvine William,nurseryman, Hawkshead nursery gardens, Old Glossop
Jackson Charles, tailor, 113 Pike’s lane
Jackson Isaac, saddler & harness maker, & dealer in india rubber & waterproof goods, 2 High st. & Victoria st
Jackson Levi (executors of), rope, twine & cotton band manufacturers, & farmers, Hobroyd
Jackson Rowland, tobaccnst. 4 High st ea
Jepson Robert, surveyor to local board, Town hall, High street west
Jowett Harriet Ann (Miss), confectioner, see Briggs & Jowett
Kelly Jas. tailor & draper, High st. west
Kenny Margaret (Mrs.), confectioner & dress maker, 6 High street east
Kenny Wm. Hy. mill mngr. 6 High st. ea
Kenworthy John, draper, 74 High st. we
Kenyon Nancy (Mrs.), draper, 81 High street west
Killorn & Co. clothiers, 32 & 34 High street west
Kinder Henry, chemist & dentist, 85 High street west
Kinder Writer, slater & plastr. Sumner st
Kirk Ralph Talbot, 25 Hall street
Knight George, shopkeeper, 9 Victoria st
Knott Samuel, farmer, Hurst
Lamb Edmund, goods inspector, 31 Norfolk street
Lancaster Elizbth. (Mrs.), Wheat Sheaf p.h. 16. & butcher 18 & 20, Wellgate
Lawton John, tinplate worker, Wellgate
Lawton Wm. brush maker, 81 Victoria st
Lee Hannah & Clarice (Misses) & Craven, confectioners, 104 High street west
Lee Ellen (Mrs.), confectioner, 230 High street west
Lee Geo. fried fish dealer, 129 High st. east
Leech Chas. mill manager, 47 Sheffield rd
Leech John Thomas, cabinet maker & upholsterer, 57 High street west
Lester James, fruiterer, 63 High st. east
Lewis Esther (Miss), baby linen dealer, 23 High street east
Littlewood Dick, yeast dealer, Surrey st
Lockwood Elliot, refreshment rooms, 45 High street west
Lockwood Thos. coal mer. Railway yard
Lomas Amy (Miss), milnr. 62 St. Mary’s rd
Lomas Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 82 Gladstone street
Lomas Jas. shopkeeper, 31 Gladstone st
Longden Alfred, farmer & stone engraver, Cemetery road
Longden John, farmer, Lane Head
Longson James Henry, Junction inn, 379 High street west
Lowe Moses, Manor inn, 77 High st east
Lowe William, tailor, 117 Gladstone st
Ludlam Jn. station master, 26 Howard st
Mackenzie Duncan John M.D., C.M. surgeon, 64 & 66 High street west
McKnight Thomas, leather dealer & ironmonger, 1 High street east
McMellon William, tailor & draper; 18 High street west
Maginnis Sarah Ann (Mrs.), ladies’ school, Primrose house
Mahon Thos. bill poster, 42 High st west
Makin James, mill manager, Dover ho. Charleston road
Makin Martha (Miss), dress maker, 21 Princess street
Malkin Samuel, corn miller, High st east
Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co. Limited (branch) (W. H. Hollingbery, manager), Norfolk square: draw on London office, 75 Cornhill E.C.
Marsden Elijah, shopkeeper, 73 Hall st
Marsden Thos. shopkpr. 40 Church street
Massey David, butcher, 62 High st. east
Mawson Thos. saddler & harness maker, 8 Norfolk square
May Amos, skip maker, 59 High st. east
May Thomas, basket & skip maker, 53 Victoria street
Melia Daniel & Co. tea merchants, 11 High street west
Mellor John & Co. corn & flour merchants, 16 High street east
Mellor George William, confectioner, 289 High street west
Mellor Josiah, auctioneer, 42 High st. west
Merry James, ironmonger, plumber & gas fitter, 34 High street east
Miller Thos. & Co. grcrs. 50 High St. west
Mills Henry, beer retlr. Arundel street
Minting Chas. shopkeeper, 9 Chapel st
Mitchell Julian, surgn. Dent. 35 Norfolk st
Morley Joseph, shopkpr. 50 Church st
Needham Walter, farmer, Hurst
Nelson Joseph, shoe ma. 105 Gladstone st
Newton Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 72 Gladstone street
Newton Chas. beer retlr. 17 Gladstone st
Newton George, grocer, 45 Bernard st
Nield Jas. boot & shoe ma .20 High st. west
Nield Thomas, tea dealer, 11 Norfolk st
North Derbyshire & North Cheshire Advertiser (Edwin Walter Pettit, publisher & proprietor; published Saturday), Howard street
Ogden Kay, insurance agent, 25 Lord st
Oldham Abner, shopkeeper, 6 Chapel st
Oldham Thos. shopkpr. 197 High st east
Olive & Partington, paper makers, paper stainers & tin foil manufacturers, Turn Lee & Dover mills ; & 7 Newmarket lane, Manchester
Oliver Alfred, grocer, 30 Queen street
Oliver Walter, ironmngr. 39 High st. west
Olerenshaw Isaac, herbalist, 136 High street west
Ollerenshaw John, slater & plasterer, 29 Talbot street
Orme Joe, beer retailer & straw dealer, 1 Norfolk street
Orme William, shopkpr. 64 Edward st
Oswaldeston Ephraim, shopkeeper, 52 Church street
Owen Hugh, boot & shoe ma. 8 Mount st
Partington Edward, paper manufactr. see Olive & Partington
Patchett Arthr. butcher, 6 High st. we
Patchett Geo. tea dealr. 6b, High st. we
Patchett Mgt. (Mrs.), btchr. 36 High st. we
Paulden Jn. shoe maker, 151 High st. we
Pearson Hugh, shopkpr. 50 Freetown
Pedley Wm. Higginbottom, tea dealer, 78 Princess street
Pemberton John, beer rtlr. 78 High st. ea
Pettit Edwin Walter, publisher & proprietor of the North Derbyshire & North Cheshire Advertiser, 7 Howard st. & bookseller & stationer, 27 High street west
Percival David, wine & spirit merchant, 8 Norfolk square
Philharmonic Society (W. P. Fairclough, MUS. BAC., F.C.O. sec. & conductor), 4 Bank street
Pickford Fredk. & Son, greengrocers, 56 High street west
Pickford John, grocer, 84 Victoria st
Plant Wm. ironmonger, 118 Victoria st
Platt Benj. grocer, 74 & 76 High st. east
Platt Fred & Er, chipped potato dealers, 86 High street west
Platt George, butcher, 49 High st. west
Platt James, coal merchant, Railway yd
Platt James, shopkeeper, 184 High st. we
Platt;John, shopkeeper, 12 Wellgate
Platt Thomas, farmer, Hill top
Poole Jn. Henry, tailor, 85 High st. east
Potts Henry, joiner, 123 St. Mary’s rd
Potts Joseph, joiner, Ash cottage, Sheffield road
Proctor Robert, chemist & drysalter, 7 High street west
Public Baths, Victoria park
Pye John, farmer, Heath
Pye Richard, shopkeeper, 13 Hadfield st
Quinn John,umbrella ma. 83 Victoria st
Rathbone Jn. shoe ma. 140 High st. we
Rawstorne Thomas, mill manager, 28 High street east
Redfern Isaac, school attendance officer to rural sanitary authority & shopkeeper, 35 Gladstone street
Redford Joseph, shopkpr. 70 Victoria st
Rhodes James, surgeon & med. officer of health to urban & rural sanitary authorities, & medical officer & public vaccinator, Whitfield district, 25 Victoria street
Rhodes John, surgeon, 127 Victoria st
Rhodes John Henry, shopkeeper, 267 High street west
Rhodes T. school attendance officer to local board, Victoria street
Roberts James, farmer. Herod farm
Robertson Thomas, furniture broker, 2 Edward street
Robinson George & Sons, painters & glaziers, 60 High street west
Robinson George, drapr. 15 High st. we
Robinson James, painter, 53 High st. we
Robinson Joe, contractor, 31 Freetown
Robinson Jsph. shopkpr. 140 Victoria st
Robinson Robert, farmer, Brown hill
Robinson Thos. shopkpr. 29 Charlestown
Robinson Walter, draper, 12 Norfolk st
Rolly Alice (Miss), milliner, 8 High st. ea
Ross George, shopkeeper, 30 Surrey st
Rossendale Belting Co. (Isaac Jackson, agent), patentees & sole makers of the anti-friction hair belting, which resists the action of the strap fork, Victoria street
Rowbottom Maria (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 259 High street west
Rowbottom Samuel, cotton spinner & band manufacturer, Meadow mills
Roworth Henry, hay & straw dealer, 1 & 3 Victoria street
Schofield Mary Ellen & Annie (Misses), stationers, 6 Norfolk square
Schofield Alfd. Ernest, printr. Railway st
Schofield James, butcher, 83 High street
Scholes Albert, butcher, 127 High st. we
Scholes Wm. Henry, furniture dealer, 121 High street west
Sellars James, Bull's Head p.h. 72 Church street
Sellars William Henry, beer retailer & oat cake baker, Pikes lane
Shallcross Joseph, grocer, 37 Edward st
Shaw Edwin, piano & music seller, 9 High street east
Shepherd & Co. medicine & drug stores, 112 High street west
Shepherd John, farmer, Mossy Lee
Shepherd Wm. shpkpr. 59 Charleston rd
Shepley Mill Cotton Manufng. Co. Lim. (Geo. Roberts, sec.), Shepley mill
Sheppard James, farmer & furniture remover, Ashes
Sheppard John, mineral water manufr. 14 Norfolk square
Siddons Joseph, farm bailiff to Lord Howard of Glossop, Blackshaw farm
Sidebottom Joseph, quarry master & dealer in paving setts, hewing stones, &c. Lees Hall quarry, Turn Lee
Sidebottom Peter, gas company’s collector, 65 Norfolk street
Sidebottom Sami, farmr. Hollin Cross la
Slack George, Queen’s Arms p.h. 1 Shepley street
Slater Chas. hair dresser, 138 High st. we
Slater Edward, Grapes P.H. 305 High street west
Smith Charles Lewis, cabinet maker, 55 High street east
Smith Edward, boot & shoe maker, 46 High street west
Smith Ellen (Miss), milliner & dress maker, 69 High street east
Smith Emma (Mrs.), ladies’ seminary, 55 High street east
Smith James, draper, 38 High st. east
Smith Thomas, boot & shoe maker, 35 & 37 High street west
Stafford Jsph. mill manager, 61 Norfolk st
Stead Mary (Mrs.), milliner & dress maker, 40 Norfolk street
Sturgeon Thomas, Surrey Arms hotel, 67 High street west
Sumner Francis & Co. Lim. cotton spinners & manufacturers (William Thorpe, manager), Wren Nest mills
Swann George, watch & clock maker, 228 High street west
Swire John & Son, boot & shoe makers, 7 High street west & 21 Victoria st
Swire William, fancy draper, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants, 5 High street west
Sykes Samuel William Bennett, paper merchant, 6 Norfolk square
Sykes Sarah (Mrs.), Greyhound p.h. 7. Hope street
Tarbatt Henry, butcher, 216 High st. we
Tarbatt John, shopkeeper, 5 Freetown
Taylor Charles, draper, 131 Hall street
Taylor John, farmer, Ashes
Thom James, coal agent, 33 Norfolk st
Thornhill Wm, farmer, Woodcock road
Thornley Betty (Miss), grocer, 4 Charlestown road
Thornley Jas. frmr. & carrier, Hague st
Thornley Noah, butcher, 74 Victoria st
Thornley Thos. shopkpr. 76 Victoria st
Thorp Walter, coal merchant, Henry st
Thorpe Wm. mill man. 96 St. Mary’s rd
Tomlinson May (Miss), frmr. Turn Lee
Torkington William, corn & flour dealer & family grocer, 12 High street west, & 31 Station road, Hadfield
Town Hall, High street west
Trayner John, hairdrssr. 55 Bernard st
Traynor Thos. hair drssr. 75 High st. we
Trueman John, Bee Hive inn, & quarry master, 35 Hague street
Turner James Joseph, boot & shoe maker, 138 Victoria street
Turner Manasseh, fruiter, 26 High st. ea
Tweedale Jn. Wm. solicitor, Norfolk sq
Vickers Mary (Miss), house furnisher, 86 High street west
Victoria Park, North road
Wagstaffe John, butcher, 19 High st. ea
Wain Jsph. smallware dlr. 14 High st. ea
Walker Crowther Campbell, beer retailer 38 & 40 High street west
Walker Harriet (Mrs.), tripe dealer, 53 Victoria street
Walton Fred, butcher, 121 Gladstone st
Walton Jn. bleacher, Charlestown works
Walton John, brewer, Whitfield cross
Walton Joseph, draper, 52 High st. we
Walton Lydia (Mrs.), Bridge inn, Market street
Warhurst Samuel Emanuel, grocer & tea dealer, 38 Princess street
Water Works (John Gardner, superintendent ; Thomas Neild, collector)
Waterhouse Albert, stone mason, 3 Back Victoria street
Waterhouse Jonathan, stationer, 130 High street west
Waterhouse Thos. statnr. 11 Victoria st
Watkinson Thos. drpr. 90 High st. we
Watts George, shoe maker, Freetown
Watts Mary (Mrs.), shpkpr. 43 Hope st
Weight Fredk. shopkpr. 90 High st. ea
Whitehead Micah, shpkpr. 42 Arundel st
Whittaker Thos. beer rtlr. 16 Chapel st
Whittingham Francis & Son, brush makers, 10 High street east
Wilkerson William Nichols, Market hotel, Market street
Wilkinson & Son, irnmngrs. 11 Norfolk sq
Wilkinson James Leonard, ironmonger, see Wilkinson & Son
Wilkinson Thomas, ironmonger, see Wilkinson & Son
Willey John William Crane, cabinet maker, 17 Norfolk street
Williamson William, earthenware dealer, 100 High street west
Willis Harriet (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 121 Charlestown
Wilson Elijah, farmer, Heath
Wilson Robert, baker, 152 High st. we
Wimpenny Arthur, stone dlr. Shepley st
Winterbottom George, Royal Oak p.h. Sheffield road
Winterbottom James, stone engraver, 6 Hall street
Winterbottom Wltr. shpkpr. 20 Church st
Wood John & Brothers Limited, cotton spinners & manufacturers (William Hall, sec.), Howard Town mills
Wood Samuel & James, undertakers & coach proprietors (formerly James Wood), Howard street
Wood Charlotte (Mrs.) shopkeeper, 87 High street east
Wood Gilbert, butcher, 38 Kershaw st
Wood John, grocer & corn dealer, 25 High street west
Wood Joseph, butcher, 29 Gladstone st
Wood Peter, milliner, 110 High st. we
Wood Samuel, farmer, Hobroyd
Wood Samuel, shopkeeper & wheelwright, 13 Charles street
Wood Sarah Ann (Miss), shopkeeper, 61 Hague street
Wood Thos. joiner & builder, 66 Victoria st
Wood Thomas, rag merchant, 6 Derby st
Woodacre Richard, shopkeeper, 231 High street west
Woodcock Charles, undertakers’ agent, 65 High street east
Woodcock Ebenezer, shopkeeper, 150 High street west
Woodcock Elizabeth (Mrs.), grocer, 51 Victoria street
Woodhead John, Hare & Hounds p.h. 27 Hall street
Woodhead Matthew, stone merchant, 26 Hall street & Law quarries
Woodhead Sarah Elizabeth (Miss), post office, stamp distributor & registry office, Norfolk square
Woodhead Stephen, piano dealer, 122 St. Mary’s road
Woodhouse Joseph, butcher, 36 Church st
Wood’s Hospital, Victoria park
Wood’s Lending Library, 94 Victoria st
Woolley Edward, butcher, 77 & 79 High street west
Wright Geo. umbrella repairer, 63 Hall st
Wright Thomas Jas. grocer & tobacconist, 72 High street west
Wright William, chipped potato dealer, 63 High street west
Wyatt Cephas, farmer, Blackshaw

Brookfield.
Shepley William J.P.
COMMERCIAL.
Aldous Henry, shopkeeper
Horrocks John, shopkeeper
Lyne George, shopkeeper
Moss Joseph, news agent & grocer
Rowbottom Alfred, Royal Oak p.h. & monumental mason
Shephard Charles, shopkeeper
Shephard George, draper
Shepley John & William,cotton spinners & manufacturers, Brookfield mills
Shepley William, farmer
Warhurst Hannah (Mrs.), farmer
Whiteley James, grocer
Wilson Mary Ann (Miss), milliner

Chunal.
Bann George, farmer, Monks’ road
Goddard Wm. Grouse inn, & farmer
Hadfield John, farmer
Nield Edwin, farmer
Robinson Sarah Ann (Miss), farmer
Rose John, farmer, Hollingworth head
Shepley William, farmer
Shotwell James, farmer
Wood John, farmer

Dinting.
Barr John, Dinting lodge
Bennett Mrs. Simmondley lane
Canton Rev. William John, Vicarage
Hollingworth Samuel, Simmondley lane
Lawton Mrs. Simmondley lane
Sheppard William, Simmondley lane
Smellie James, Viaduct house
Sykes William, Simmondley lane
COMMERCIAL.
Bradbury George, grocer
Fielding George Raffald, butcher
Ford Samuel, tanner
Hadfield Charles, cashier at Messrs. E. Potter & Co.’s print works
Harrison Abel, coal & cannel factor, Railway station ; & at Glossop. See advertisement
Nield Betty (Mrs.), Plough inn
Platt John, farmer
Platt Thomas, farmer
Potter Edmund & Co. calico printers ; warehouse, 10 Charlotte st. Manchester
Potter Edmund & Co. soap manufctrs. ; warehouse, 10 Charlotte st. Manchester
Roberts Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Smith Samuel, Viaduct inn
Waterhouse Sarah (Mrs.), farmer & lime dealer
Wild Peter, farmer
Wood James, clogger
Wyatt Thomas, grocer & corn dealer

Gamesley.
Rowcliffe John B. Gamesley house
COMMERCIAL.
Blackburn Isaac, shopkeeper
Booth Samuel, farmer
Garlic John, shopkeeper
Harrison James, farmer
Jackson Joseph, farmer, & Magnet inn
Marsden Moses, farmer
Oldroyd Timothy, farmer & contractor
Rowcliffe John B. & Co. spring mattress manufacturers
Thornley Andrew, farmer
Thornley Jas. (representatives of), frmr
Sykes John & Thomas Beard, slaters & plasterers
Turner James, farmer & greengrocer
Youll Joseph, Mason

Hadfield.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Buckley Henry, Bross croft
Butterworth Henshaw, Kent villa
Dawson William, Tnowl house
Eastham James Cook, The Thorns
Hadfield Rev. Joseph [vicar]
Platt Edward
Platt Mrs. Bross croft
Rhodes Wm. Shepley J.P. Mersey bank
Ridgway James, Green lane
Rigge Fletcher, Lockley house
Sabela Very Rev. Canon Hermann Jos. [Catholic]
Sargentson William, Bross croft
Shaw John, Kent villa
Walsh Benjamin, Bank house, Bank st
Wheelan John Joseph
White William M.D. Main road
COMMERCIAL.
Aldous Jane (Miss), shopkeeper, 213 Hadfield road
Aldous Thomas, window blind manufacturer, 29 Church street
Aldous Wm. frmr. & shopkpr. Main rd.
Ashton William, grocer, 58 Main road
Atkinson William, grocer, Church st
Bain & Sidebotham, builders & contractors, Railway street
Bamford Jas. tmprnce. hotel, Station rd
Barker Wm. grocer & farmer, Main rd
Barlow Wm. beer retailer, 2 Hadfield rd
Battey Daniel, draper, 108 Station road
Battey John, shopkeeper, 114 Station rd.
Belfield Edward, Anchor inn, Main rd
Bell James, clogger, 43 Station road
Bennett Mark, grocer, 91 Station road
Bennett Thomas, draper & furniture dealer, Station road
Bentham Jane (Mrs.), stationer, 49 Station road
Bintcliffe Jim, fishmonger, 29 Station rd
Booth Hinchcliffe, stationer & newsagent, 100 Station road
Booth Joe, beer retailer, Waterside
Booth Mary (Miss), shopkpr. Waterside
Bradbury Wm. grocer, 33 Bankbottom
Braddock John, coal mer. 9 Church ter
Braddock Thomas, grocer, 95 Station. Rd
Bradshaw James, grocer, 109 Main rd
Bratherton Richard, station master
Briggs William, shopkeeper, 7 Station rd
Broadbent John, shopkeeper & farmer, 10 Bross croft
Broadbent Zilha (Miss), shopkeeper, 72 Bross croft
Brook Edwin, hairdresser, Bankbottom
Brook Furness, draper, 13 Station road
Brown Samuel, fishmonger, 12 Bank st
Butterworth Henshaw, grcr. Waterside
Chadwick William Thos. pawnbroker, Station road
Challoner John, shopkpr, 31 Padfield la
Challoner Samuel, coal merchant, 33 Padfield lane
Charlton Ernest, inspector of Police, Albert street
Collier Samuel, grocer & wine & spirit merchant, 8 Bank street
Consumers Tea Co. (Ollerenshaw & Co proprietors), Station road
Corker Wm. Commercial inn, Bankbtm
Cox John, draper & photographer, 90 Station road
Crosley Wm. greengrcr. 46 Bankbottom
Dane Laura (Miss), dressmkr. Hadfield rd.
Darwent Luke, Arundel Arms p.h. Cemetery road
Dawson William, plumber & painter, Station road
Dearnley David, br. rtlr. Woolley bridge
Dewsnap Edward, butcher, Station rd
Dewsnap John, farmer, Hadfield cross
Dickinson James, hairdresser, Station rd
Dilworth Rebecca (Miss), milliner, 6 Bross croft
Duckworth Samuel, blacksmith, 36 Station road
Earnshaw Abraham, butcher, 61 Station road
Earnshaw Heber, fried fish shp. Station rd
Elliott Morton Walker, draper & outfitter, 160 Station road
Equitable Co-operative Society Lim. (James Harwood,sec.; Charles Loxley treasurer), Station rd. & Woolley bridge
Eversden William, grocer, Waterside
Farnsworth Hannah (Mrs.), grocer, 33 Station road
Fielding Harold, farmer, Mouseley farm
Fielding William, provision dealer, 1 Station road
Firth Edward, shopkpr. Woolley bridge
Fowden Thos. shopkeeper,14 Hadfield rd
Garlick Robt. newsagent, 101 Station rd
Gill Wright, grocer & quarry owner, 67 Station road
Goddard Abel, shopkeeper, Station rd
Goddard Elizabeth (Mrs.), milliner, 203 Station road
Hadfield & Hollingsworth Coal Co. (George Hutchinson, sec)
Hadfield Conservative Club Co. Limited (Frederick Cartwright, sec)
Hadfield Liberal Club (William Marshall, sec)
Hadfield Jn. shopkpr. Kiln la. Station rd
Haigh Wm. boot & shoema. 9 Station rd
Hampshire William, ironmonger, plumber & tinman, 71 Station road
Harrison Abel, coal & cannel factor, Station yard. See advertisement
Harrison Wm. shopkeeper, Woolley brdg
Heath Mary (Miss ), shopkpr. 124 Main rd
Heppenstall Martha (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Woodland view
Hinchcliffe Thomas John, stationer & newsagent, 27 Railway street
Holland Isaiah, greengrcr. 73 Bross croft
Holland Joseph, tailor, clothier & outfitter, “The Exchange,” 97 & 99 Station road
Howarth Hy. Wright, drpr. 78 Station rd
Howarth Moses, confectnr. 107 Station rd
Hoyland Hy. Jas. ironmngr. Station rd
Japson Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 11 Bross croft
Johnson Thos. coal merchant, Station
Jolley Kezia (Mrs.), Spinners’ Arms p.h. Main road
Jones John, shopkeeper, Waterside
Kirk Thomas, farmer, Top of hill
Lee Amanda (Miss), grcr. 15 Lower barn
Longbottom John James, greengrocer, 33 Station road
Loxley John, farmer, Hadfield cross
McDermott Hugh, shopkpr. 32 Bank btm
McGarratty Wm. Jn. shopkpr. Waterside
Margerison John, shoe maker, Station rd
Marsden Alfred, shopkeeper,Lower barn
Martin Wm. Alf. draper, 126 Station rd
Mason William James, boot & shoe maker,Station road
Meffat William, shopkeeper, Waterside
Miller Thomas, grocer, Woolley bridge
Mitchell Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 9 Bross croft
Mitchell Julian, surgeon dentist, 83 Station road
Morrison Hannah (Mrs.) dressmaker, Osborne street
Nelson Samuel, tailor, 92 Station road
Newton Amos, butcher, 3 Station road
Newton Samuel, watch & clock maker & general dealer, 5 Station road
Oldfield James (executors of) Spread Eagle p.h. Woolley bridge
Patchett Henry, brickmaker & butcher, 32 Station road
Phair Matthew, Victoria, Bross croft
Platt Edward & Son, cotton manufactrs
Platt Joseph, shopkeepr. Woolley bridge
Rabasse John, shopkeeper, Station road
Rhodes James, surgeon, Railway street
Rhodes Thomas Limited, cotton spinners & manufacturers, Mersey mills; & 42 George street, Manchester
Rigge Fletcher, cashier at T. & W. Sidebottom's, Waterside mills
Roberts George William, cabinet maker, 66 Bank street
Robinson Alonzo, beer retailer, 59 Station road
Rockwood Thomas, coal merchant, Station yard
Rogers Wm. Thos. tailor, 39 Station rd
Rosson John Henry, chemist, Station rd
Roworth Henry, hay & straw merchant, Cross & 1 & 3 Victoria street, Glossop
Sampson Edward, drill instructor, Albert street
Shaw Thomas Samuel, photographer, 15 Green lane
Sheppard Robert, draper, 41 Station rd
Shortland John Thomas, greengrocer, 166 Station road
Shufflebotham Joseph, clogger, 1a Station road
Sidebottom John, cattle dealer, main rd
Sidebottom T. & W. cotton spinners & manufacturers, Waterside mills & Bridge mills; & 20 Pall mall, Manchester
Slack Charles, Palatine p.h. good accommodation for picnic parties, good stabling, Station road
Smith Edwin, boot & shoe maker, 40 Station road
Stewart Rebecca (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 77 Bross croft
Sutton Thomas, stonemason, 168 Station road
Swire John, clogger, Woolley bridge
Taylor Abel, hair dresser & shopkeeper, 103 Station road
Thornley James, chemist, Bankbottom
Thornley Martha (Mrs.), general dealer, Woolley bridge
Thornley Taylor, coal merchant, 95 Station road
Thorpe Walter,coal merchant,Station yd
Torkington Charles Henry, tripe dresser, 73 Station road
Torkington William, corn & flour dealer & family grocer, 31 Station road
Toulson William, draper & outfitter, 83 Station road
Wadsworth Len, farmer & beer retailer, Station road
Wain John, shopkeeper, Main road
Watson James, shopkpr. Woolley bridge
Warhurst Caleb, joiner & builder, 146 Station road
Warhurst Enoch, joiner, Station road
Warhurst Samuel, music teacher, 138 Station road
Warrington Israel, grocer, Green lane
Wheeler John Joseph, surgeon
White William M.D., C.M. physician, Main road
Wilde John, blacksmith, 91 Station road
Wildgoose William, grocer, Waterside
Willis Charles, boot & shoe maker, 105 Station road
Winterbottom David, butcher, 93 Station road
Winterbottom Robert, registrar to burial board, Cemetery lodge
Wood Samuel, grocer, 35 Station road
Woodhead Mary (Mrs.), news agent, Bank street
Woolley Edward, butcher, Woolley bdg
Woolley Geo. butcher, 104 Station road
Worsley Henry, shopkeeper & commission agent, 41 Bross croft
Wynne Patrick, tripe sellr. 34 Station rd
Youles Robert, shopkeeper, Woolley bdg

Padfield.
Dewsnap Joseph, Ivy cottage
Platt William, Padfield brook
Handforth James
Sargentson James, Padfield house
Sargentson James jun
COMMERCIAL.
Bailey Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Bennett Joseph, farmer, Little Padfield
Bland Robert, farmer, Deep Clough
Broadbent Samuel, farmer & shopkeepr
Crossland John, farmer, Deep Clough
Cundey William, shopkeeper
Dearnley Eli, fishmonger
Dewsnap Edward, butcher
Ellis Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Equitable Co-operative Society Limited (James Harwood, secretary ; Charles Loxley, treasurer)
Fielding Charles, stationer & news agent
Fielding Herbert, insurance agent
Fielding Mary &Ellen (Misses) drapers & confectioners
Fielding William, grocer & farmer
Gee James Albert, farmer, Torside
Gilbert John, fishmonger
Goddard Jabez Solomon, farmer, Little Padfield
Greaves William, baker
Greenwood Edward, farmer, Deep Clough
Greenwood Henry, farmr & tripe dresser
Hall Sarrh (Miss), farmer
Handforth James, cashier at Messrs. Thomas Rhodes & Son, Hadfield mills
Jackson Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Jackson Thomas, farmer, Old House
Main John, draper
Mapp Charles, carrier
Oldfield Mark, farmer, Deep Clough
Phair John, Peel’s Arms p.h
Platt Edward & Son, cotton manufactrs
Platt Joe, butcher
Pogson Samuel, clogger
Pratt James, beer retailer
Rhodes Thomas & Son, cotton spinner & manufacturers, Hadfield mills & 42 George street, Manchester
Riley Mary (Miss), shopkeeper
Roberts William Robinson, farmer, Windy arbor
Robinson Ellen (Mrs.), farmer
Sargentson James jun. cotton waste dealer & blowing manufacturer
Scholes James, quarry owner
Sidebottom James, shopkeeper
Whitehead Firth, farmer
Wild Walter, grocer
Worth Henry, draper & tailor



Button image Return to Trade Directory List Button image Return to Local History Articles Button image Return to the home page




Page last updated: 15 May 2017.