Glossop Heritage Trust

Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1908
Entries for the area of the Borough of Glossop.



GLOSSOP.
GLOSSOP (or Glossop Dale) is a municipal borough, market and union town, head of a county court district and petty sessional division, township and parish, on the borders of Cheshire, with a station, 192½ miles by rail from London by Great Central railway, 9½ from Ashton, 24½ from Barnsley, 87 from Birmingham, 65 from Burton, 47 from Chesterfield, 58 from Derby, 41 from Doncaster, 87 from Leicester, 34 from Leek, 47 from Liverpool, 73¾ from Lincoln, 13 from Manchester, 20 from Macclesfield, 74 from Nottingham, 30 from Sheffield, 66¼ from Stafford, 10½ from Staleybridge, 11 from Stockport, 53 from Uttoxeter and 72 from Wolverhampton. It is in High Peak hundred and High Peak division of the county, rural deanery of Glossop, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The Great Central Railway from Manchester to Sheffield is carried across Dinting Vale on a lofty viaduct of sixteen arches, constructed of stone, about a mile west from the Town hall, and there is a branch line from Dinting to Glossop and Hadfield. A service of electric trams also runs to Hadfield and Whitfield. The parish of Glossop, before the passing of the “Local Government Act, 1894,” comprised the hamlets of Glossop, Hadfield, Padfield, Charlesworth, Chunal, Whitfield and Simmondley. By the operation of the above Act, the borough became, by an Order of the County Council, dated Aug. 10, 1894, a civil parish, consisting of the whole of the hamlet of Hadfield, and parts of the previously mentioned hamlets. By the same Act the hamlet of Charlesworth, and the other parts of the hamlets, became the parish of Charlesworth.
The borough is divided into three wards, viz.; All Saints, Hadfield and St. James'. The corporation consists of a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors. The borough has a commission of the peace and a police force. The water supply, derived from Peaknase moors, is collected in reservoirs at Swineshaw. The town is supplied with gas by a company formed in 1845.
Portions of the old parish of Glossop All Saints have been taken to form the ecclesiastical parishes of Whitfield, St James’; Hadfield, St. Andrew’s, and Dinting, Holy Trinity. The ancient parish church of All Saints was pulled down in 1830. The present church is a modern edifice of stone, in the Early Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, vestry, organ chamber, erected in 1877, and a western tower, with spire, containing a clock and 8 bells, re-hung and a chiming apparatus attached in 1877, at a cost of £180; the spire was rebuilt in 1856, and in 1902 a carved oak porch was added at a cost of £120, in memory of the late John Wagstaffe: the stained east window is a memorial to a former Duke and Duchess of Norfolk, Robert Shepley esq. and John Wood esq. benefactors to the church : the old communion plate bears date 1745, but in 1877 a new set was contributed by the parishioners : in 1886 the nave was reseated with open benches by Daniel Wood esq. of Moorfield, and in 1889 the church was restored and three stained glass windows were placed therein, at a cost of £1,300, defrayed by Miss A. A. Wood and others: there are also memorial windows to the Rev. John Dickinson Knowles M.A. vicar, 1865-89, and Mrs. Mary Rusby: the carved oak pulpit was presented, at a cost of £325, by John Wood esq. of Whitfield house: the altar front, presented to the church in 1895, is of carved oak open work tracery panels, flanked by figures of SS. Chad and Aidan, with silk frontals to slide in a groove behind the tracery: choir stalls of carved oak were erected in 1896, at a cost of £180, and in 1898, an oak screen bearing the names of the vicars of Glossop from 1321, was provided at a cost of £50: a new baptistery was erected in the same year and furnished with a font of white marble, presented, fit a cost of £200, by C. E. Knowles esq. and other gifts have been made to the church by Miss Orange: the churchyard was closed against interments, with modifications, in 1857-8. The registers date from the year 1620. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £179, with residence, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1908 by the Rev. Charles Dudley Hart L.Th. of Hatfield Hall, Durham.
The Rev. Christopher Howe, vicar 1793 to 1849 and for 40 years also incumbent of Woodhead, Cheshire, established a day school at Glossop, in which he personally taught, and partly rebuilt the parish church; he died 1st Sept. 1849, in the 85th year, of his age and the 57th of his vicariate of Glossop. Mr. Charles Winterbottom, for upwards of 60 years sexton and clerk of the parish of Glossop, died at the age of nearly 88 years.
The Catholic church, dedicated to All Saints, a building in the Classic style, situated near Glossop Hall, was erected by Bernard Edward Duke of Norfolk, in 1837, and consists of chancel, nave and a belfry, containing one bell : over the altar is a fine copy of Domenichino’s “Communion of St. Hyronome,” the original of which is in the Vatican : there are also valuable paintings representing the twelve apostles: there are 120 sittings.
Mount Pleasant Congregational chapel, built in 1858, will seat 600.
There is a United Methodist church in Hall street and a Primitive Methodist chapel in Shrewsbury street.
The cemetery of 6 acres, formed in 1859, was enlarged in 1894 and has mortuary chapels, it is now under the control of the town council and Charlesworth parish council.
The Town Hall, with the Market House, was considerably enlarged in 1854.
The Free Library and Public Hall, Fauvel road, erected in 1887 by Herbert Rhodes esq. and Captain Edward Partington, at a cost of about £4,400, on a site given by Lord Howard of Glossop, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, containing a reading room and library of 5,000 volumes, lecture hall and a public hall : over the main entrance a tower with pinnacles rises to a height of 80 ft.
There are Conservative and Liberal clubs, each having news and recreation rooms.
The Public Baths, Howard Park, erected in 1887, by Samuel Wood esq. and Mrs. Wood, of Moorfield House, at a cost of about £15,000, comprise a swimming bath, three private baths for males and a like number for females, and vapour and Turkish baths : the buildings include a ventilating tower 100 feet high.
Here are cotton factories, and in the neighbourhood calico printing establishments and paper mills : some of the former, and especially those of Messrs. John Wood and Bros. Limited, and Messrs. Francis Sumner and Co. Limited, are very extensive, employing in ordinary times from 5,000 to 6,000 workpeople. The first cotton mill was erected about the year 1784, but previously to this a few woollen factories and fulling mills had been in operation ; one of these, The Gnathole mill, now covered with ivy, still remains.
At Dinting Vale are the large calico printing works developed by the skill and energy of the late Mr. E. Potter, and now carried on by Messrs. E. Potter and Co. Ltd.
Hurst brook and Whitfield brook, two feeders of the Etherow, take their rise on the adjacent moors; the water of the latter possesses bleaching properties, which was taken advantage of in establishing the works at Charlestown. There are quarries producing building, and paving stone. The principal market day is Saturday. Fairs are held on the 6th May, also the first Wednesday on or after the 10th day of October, for the sale of horses and cattle.
There are charities of £40 yearly value, distributed among the poor on St. Thomas' day, in money and clothing, by two representatives of the eight original hamlets of Glossop Dale.
The Wood’s Hospital, Howard Park, founded and endowed in 1887, by Daniel Wood esq. of Moorfield, at a cost of about £6,000, the endowment fund being £19,000, is a structure of brick, cased externally with stone, and comprises two male and two female wards, holding about 16 patients, with kitchens &c. and an administrative block, containing the offices, store rooms &c. : to the west of the hospital is a detached laundry, with lodge keepers residence.
A Convalescent Home, the gift of Capt. E. Partington is now (1908) in course of erection in North road, at an estimated cost, including endowment, of about £30,000.
Howard Park, North road, formed in 1887, at the joint expense of Lord Howard of Glossop, Samuel Wood esq. and Mrs. Wood, of Moorfield, is situated on an eminence, commanding a fine view of the town and neighbourhood, it is about 12 acres in extent.
At Old Cross, Old Glossop, are the remains of ancient stone cross, about 12 feet in height and still in a fair state of preservation.
Glossop Hall, the seat of the Right Hon. Lord Howard of Glossop J.P. is a noble building,in the style of a château of the 18th century, and stands on gently rising ground above Howard Town, surrounded by trees : it was much enlarged and improved by Henry Charles, 13th Duke of Norfolk, grandfather of the, present owner.
The town and hamlets now comprising the manor of Glossop appears to have been divided in the time of Edward the Confessor into several parts among different Saxon proprietors, but in the Domesday Survey the whole of Glossop is put down as forfeited to the Crown; and the Conqueror afterwards gave it to his natural son, William Peveril, whose son Richard, however, being disinherited by Henry I Gloss op was again confiscated to the Crown, and in 1157 was granted by Henry II together with the advowson of the church to the Abbey of Basingwerke, “in free and perpetual alms for ever,” and this abbey had acquired before the 15th century nearly all the hamlets now comprising the Glossop estate; Glossop remained the property of Basingwerke Abbey till the dissolution of the lesser abbeys in 1536, when Henry VIII seized it with other conventual property and afterwards granted it to the Earl of Shrewsbury, who in turn exchanged it with the Duke of Norfolk for estates in Ireland, and in this noble family it has remained to the present time; the present proprietor, lord of the manor and principal landowner, is the Right Hon. Lord Howard of Glossop J.P. cousin to the present Duke of Norfolk.
The land is partly moor and pasturage. The area of the civil parish and Urban District is 2,098 acres of land, and 54 of water; rateable value, £84,380; the population of the ecclesiastical parish of All Saints in 1901 was 2,724; Glossop Dale population in 1901 was 21,526, including 6 officers and 98 inmates of the workhouse.
Parish Clerk, Robert Hurst.
The population of the municipal borough in 1901 was —All Saints’ ward, 6,408 ; Hadfield ward, 6,715, and St. James’ ward, 8,403; total, 21,526.
Hollybank is a hamlet in the parish.

DINTING, formed into an ecclesiastical parish, 1875, is partly in Glossop borough, and has a station on the Great Central railway. This place is now amalgamated with Glossop and Charlesworth civil parishes. The church of the Holy Trinity, erected by the Wood family, of Glossop, and opened July, 1875, is a building of stone in the Gothic style of the 13th century, and consists of apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, an organ chamber forming a transept on the south side, vestry and a tower at the west end of the south aisle, with pinnacles and an octagonal spire, reaching a height of 137 feet from the ground to the top of the vane, and containing 6 bells: the nave is divided from the aisles by circular stone piers, with moulded caps and bases: the pulpit, of Caen stone and marble, was erected in memory of the patron and founder: the central window of the apse is a memorial to John H. Wood esq. d. 16 Dec. 1869, and was placed by his widow: the font, also presented by Mrs. Wood, consists of a basin of Caen stone on a shaft of red marble : the organ was presented by Mrs. Wood in 1882 : there is also a memorial window presented by Mr. Edwin Williams, of Melbourne, Australia, in 1906, in memory of his wife: the building has sittings for 630 persons, 90 of which are free. The register dates from the year 1875. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £275, with residence, in the gift of the Wood family, and held since 1905 by the Rev. Henry Lawrance M.A. of Queen’s College, Oxford. There is a United Methodist church, built in 1860, with sittings for 300 persons, 100 of which are free. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1901 was 3,026.
Wall Letter Boxes, opposite Plough inn, cleared at 7.15 a.m. & 6.15 p.m. & on sundays at 8.30 a m. ; corner Shaw lane, 8 a.m. & 6.15 p.m. & on sundays at 9 a.m.

BROOKFIELD is a hamlet, 1 mile north of Dinting. Here is a cotton mill. The Congregational chapel, erected in 1867, is a building of stone in the Early English style: all the windows are stained: it has 400sittings.

GAMESLEY is a hamlet 1 mile west of Dinting station. In the hamlet of Gamesley are the remains of a Roman fort called by the country people from time immemorial “Melandra” and “Melandra Castle;” it stands at the confluence of the Course Brook and the Etherow :
it is rectangular in form, with rounded angles, and had three double gateways and a single arched entrance on the south : the length is 398 feet, the breadth 368 feet, and the area 3.36 acres approximately, and in the centre is a square building which contained several chambers and has been by analogy called the “Praetorium” : a good deal of pottery, terra sigillate and floor Romano-British ware has been found, as well as glass and floor and roof tiles: Roman coins from 68 to 388 A.D. and quantity of trade and coin-weights, both Roman and Celtic. The miscellaneous objects include bones, flints, iron, lead and bronze finds ; tiles marked with the initials V.V. (Valeria Victrix) of the 20th Legion, and a centurial stone, found here in 1771, and inscribed to Valerius Vitalis, centurion of the 1st cohort of the Frisiavones, which was in Britain, A.D. 105 and 124; it has been concluded that Melandra was occupied as early as 80 A.D. and again after an interval in the 3rd and 4th centuries: the summit of this eminence is still called “The Castle Yard,” and a tradition exists that Melandra was one of the strongholds of the ancient British in the time of the Saxon invasion. On an opposite hill, called “Mousley,” is the site of another traditional castle. Some stones which came from Mousley Castle, inscribed with rude hieroglyphics, are still to be seen walled into the gable end of a house at Hadfield, and are evidently Runic. Both Melandra and Mousley lie on the Roman road from the camp of “Mancunium” (Manchester) to that of “Ad Petuariam” (Brough, near Castleton).
Wall Letter Box cleared at 9 a.m. & 6.15 p.m. ; sundays, 9 a.m.

HADFIELD, together with the township of Padfield, was formed in 1876 into an ecclesiastical parish, but was Aug. 10, 1894, amalgamated with Glossop ; it is on the borders of Cheshire, within the borough of Glossop and county court district of Glossop, with a station on the Great Central railway. The church of St. Andrew, erected at a cost of about £4,250 and consecrated July 4th, 1874, is a building in the Gothic style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, south transept, baptistery, organ chamber and a central bell turret containing one bell: the font, worked in native stone, was. presented in 1874 by Mr. James Sherriff, of Christ Church, Canterbury, New Zealand, and formerly of Hadfield, and had previously been exhibited at the Colonial exhibition, Victoria : the richly-embroidered communion cloth was presented by the Rev. C. B. Ward M.A. vicar of Whitfield, and the credence table by Mr. Braddock, churchwarden: a new organ was erected in 1879, at a cost of about £650, by James Sidebottom esq. J.P. of Millbrook, Hadfield, as a memorial to his wife : the brass lectern, was presented in memory of Beatrice Dawson, at a cost, including the reader’s stool, of about £100 : there are 538 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from July 5th, 1874, and of marriages from August, 1875. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £280, in the gift of Col. William Sidebottom V.D., J.P. and held since 1875 by the Rev. Joseph Hadfield, of St. Bees, and surrogate. There is a Mission room at Woolley Bridge. The Catholic church, dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo, is an edifice of stone, in the Early English style, erected in 1858 by the late Lord Howard of Glossop, and consisting of nave, aisles, sacristy, baptistery and a western tower containing one bell, a memorial to the late Father McDonnell: the beautifully carved high altar of stone was erected in memory of the late Father Hickey: the Lady altar was presented by the Right Rev. Monsignor Canon H. Sabela: in the church are several figures carved in stone and many valuable oil paintings, one of these, a copy of Raphael’s “Transfiguration,” being placed above the high altar. A new pulpit of Caen stone, marble and alabaster, was erected in 1894 as a memorial of the nomination of the Rt. Rev. Monsignor Canon H. Sabela as domestic prelate to his late Holiness Pope Leo XIII. There are memorial windows to Lord Edward G. Fitzalan Howard, 1st baron Howard of Glossop, d. 1 Dec. 1883, and Augusta (Talbot), his wife, d. 3 July, 1862, and another to Miss Margaret Mary Conlan and Mrs. Dorothea M. Gregory, and an “Ecce Homo” presented by Monsignor H. Sabela, Outside the church is a vault belonging to the Howard family. Adjoining is a presbytery. The Convent of Sisters of Charity of St. Paul, a fine building on the south side of the church, was erected in 1887, at the cost of John Dalton esq. of Rose Bank, Hollingworth. The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1878, has 713 sittings; the Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1876, has 500 sittings ; the United Methodist chapel, built in 1876 and enlarged in 1885, seats 280. There are several cotton mills, in which the population are employed, and political clubs with news and amusement rooms. Hadfield Hall, the ancient mansion of the Hadfields of Hadfield, dating from 1646, has been converted into a couple of cottages; some years ago the handsome black oak carving was taken down and erected in a farm house on the Glossop estate.
Post, M. & T. O., S. B. & A. Office.—Mrs. Mary A. Wright, sub-postmistress. Letters received through Manchester. Delivery, 7.15 a.m. & 1.30 & 5 p.m.; Sunday, 8.30 a.m.; dispatch, 10.30 a.m. & 1, 7.15 & 9 p.m.; Sunday, 7.15 p.m. Money orders granted &.
paid & savings bank business transacted from 8 a.m. till 8 p.m.; on Sunday, telegraph office open from 8 a.m. till 10 a.m. Wall Letter Boxes:—Hadfield Cross, cleared 7.50 a.m. & 12.30, 2, 6,45 & 8.30 p.m.; Sunday, 6.30 p.m.; Station road, cleared 7.45 a.m. & 12.30, 4.15, 6.45 & 7.45 p.m.; Sunday, 6.55 p.m. ; Waterside at 10.15 & 11.30. a.m. & 7; p.m.; Sunday, 6.5 p.m.; Woolley Bridge at 8.20 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; Sunday, 9.15 a.m
Letter Bag dispatched to Glossop at 1 p.m. & arrives from Glossop at 4.30 p.m.

PADFIELD, adjoining Hadfield station, 1½ miles north, west from Glossop and partly within that borough, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, parish, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Glossop, is included in the ecclesiastical parish of St. Andrew’s, Hadfield. The Wesleyan chapel, erected with Sunday school in 1880 at a cost of £2,000, will seat 400 persons. The population are employed in the cotton mills.
Letters through Manchester via Hadfield arrive at 6.45 a.m. & 1.30 & 4.30 p.m. Wall Letter Box cleared at 7.30 a.m. & 2,15 & 6.45 p.m.; Sunday, 6.45 p.m

WHITFIELD, in 1844, was formed into an ecclesiastical parish. On Aug. 10, 1894, the portion in Glossop borough was added to that parish, and the remainder amalgamated with the new civil parish of Charlesworth. The church of St. James is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel,nave, aisles and a western tower with spire and pinnacles containing 8 bells, added in 1884, and a clock placed in 1885 by Miss Wood, of Whitfield House: the organ, erected in 1860, was enlarged in 1870, 1880 and 1896, and repaired in 1908 at a cost of £850: the brass eagle lectern was presented by Miss Wood, of Whitfield House, in 1882; and two stained windows have also been inserted to the memory of John, Daniel and Samuel Wood : the church was enlarged in 1895-6 by the erection of a chancel and vestry and the whole interior reseated at a cost, including special gifts, of over £4,000 : there are 1,100 sittings, 550 being free. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a vicarage, net value £320, with residence, in the gift of John and S. H. Wood esqrs. and held since 1904 by the Rev. William Martin Martin-Ellis M.A. of Hatfield Hall, Durham. The vicarage house, a stone building near the church, has been considerably enlarged since 1872. The church of St. Luke, also in this parish, was built in 1906 by Mrs. S. Wood, of Moorfield, at a cost of £5,000, and consecrated by the Bishop of Derby on St. Luke’s Day in that year. The Rev. Hubert Thomas Parks M.A., LL.B. of Magdalene College, Cambridge, has been curate in charge since 1908. There are Mission rooms in Chapel street and Wood street. The Sumner Memorial Catholic church, Sumner street, dedicated to St. Mary, founded and endowed by the late Francis James Sumner esq. D.C.L. of Park Hall, Hayfield, and erected in 1887 by his heirs on a site granted by the late Lord Howard of Glossop, at a cost of about £17,000, including £5,000 for endowment, is an edifice of local stone in the Early English style, consisting of apsidal chancel, clerestoried nave, of eight bays, aisles, side chapels, baptistery, south porch and an eastern turret with spire and ornamental finial, rising to a height of 90 feet and containing one bell: a stone screen separates the chancel from the side chapels; the altar and tabernacle are elaborately carved in alabaster, marble and Caen stone, and the pulpit is also of Caen stone: the organ cost about £500 : stations of the cross were added in 1889 at a cost of about £150; there are sittings for 900 persons: adjoining the church is a presbytery, built in 1889, by the Right Rev. Canon Charles W. Tasker, late rector, to the memory of John Sumner esq. ; and near the Catholic school, in St. Mary’s road, is a convent for the Sisters of Charity of St. Paul. In 1908 a memorial altar and stained window were erected to the late Right Rev. Canon Charles W. Tasker. Littlemore Congregational chapel, founded in 1811, has 800 sittings. Littlemore Congregational schools, Victoria street, erected in 1881 at a cost, including fittings, of about £3,000, form a building of stone in the Italian style, and will hold 700 scholars; the schools are also used for lectures and concerts, and can be arranged so as to seat 1,000 persons: the front entrance, facing Victoria street, is surmounted by a turret 75 feet high. The Gospel Union Mission hall, in Ellison street, erected in 1888, is of stone in the Gothic style, and will seat 800 persons. The Whitfield Free Library, now (1908) containing 650 volumes, and the adjoining recreation ground were presented to the people of Glossop by George Ollerenshaw esq. of Highfield House, in 1902. Whitfield House, the residence of John Wood esq. M.A., D.L., J.P. is a large stone building in the Elizabethan style, standing in its own grounds. Lord Howard of GIossop is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The inhabitants are employed in the large cotton and paper mills just outside the township and in the bleach works within its boundaries. The soil is various; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are oats, hay and pasture. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1901 was 9,318.
Charlestown is a place here.
Town Sub-Post & M. O. O., S. B. & A. & I. Office, Victoria street.—Mrs. Lizzie Smith, sub-postmistress. Letters through Glossop, dispatched at 8.40 & 10.20 a.m. & 1.20, 5, 7.20 & 9 p.m

CHUNAL is 2 miles south from Glossop and partly within that borough, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, parish, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Glossop, and in the ecclesiastical parish of Whitfield; part is included in Glossop civil parish, the remainder being in Charlesworth civil parish.

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.

Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B., L & A. & Telephonic Express Delivery Office, Norfolk square.—Joseph Shepherd, postmaster. Letters arrive via Manchester at 6.30 a. m. & 12.15, 1.30 & 5 p.m. ; dispatched to Manchester & all parts at 8.30 & 10.15 a.m. & 12.50, 2.15, 4.50, 7.20 & 9:20 p.m. Money order office & post office savings bank open from 8 a.m. To 8 p.m. ; postal orders & stamps to 8.30 p.m. Telegraph office open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m
Town Sub-Post & M. O. O., S. B. & A. & I. Office.—Mrs. Sarah J. Norbury, Wellgate, sub-postmistress. Letters dispatched at 9.45 a.m. & 12 30, 2.15, 6.45 & 8.30 p.m. ; sundays, 6 p.m
Town Sub-Post & M. O. O., S. B. & A. & I. Office.— George Kinder, sub-postmaster. High street west. Letters dispatched at 9.15 a.m. & 2.15 & 6.45 p.m

CORPORATION.
1907-8.
Mayor—Councillor Herbert Partington.
Deputy Mayor—Councillor Alfred Garside.
Aldermen.
Retire Nov. 1908: William Henry Bowden, William Eversden, George Thornley.
Retire Nov. 1911: William McMellon, William Holdgate, John Joseph Whelan.
Councillors.
All Saints' Ward.
Returning Officer for Ward Elections, Alderman William Holdgate.
Retire Nov. 1908: Brook Furniss, Henry Hadfield.
Retire Nov. 1909: William Cliffe Jones, James Malkin
Retire Nov. 1910: Fras. Gordon Knowles, George Wharmby
St. James’ Ward.
Returning Officer for Ward Elections, Alderman William Henry Bowden.
Retire Nov. 1908: George Ollerenshaw, Herbert Partington
Retire Nov. 1909: Alfred Garside, Samuel H. Wood
Retire Nov. 1910: William Isherwood, William Newton
Hadfield Ward.
Returning Officer for Ward Elections, Alderman George Thornley.
Retire Nov. 1908: William Greaves, William Alfred Martin
Retire Nov. 1909: Thomas Braddock, Frederick Cartwright
Retire Nov. 1910: Tom Eastham, John Platt
Elective Auditor,

OFFICERS OF THE CORPORATION
Town Clerk, Theo. Walter Ellison, Norfolk chambers, Henry street
Borough Treasurer, Harry Broadhurst, Norfolk square
Assistant Treasurer, T. S. Bowden, Town hall
Medical Officer of Health, Duncan John Mackenzie M.D., C.M. Loch Maree, North road Public Analyst, J. Carter Bell, Manchester
Borough Auditors, John Adamson, Son & Co. 10 Norfolk street, Manchester
Surveyor, Thomas Haynes, Town hall
Veterinary Surgeon (Infectious Diseases), E. S. Gubbin M.R.C.V.S. Fauvel road
Secretary to Education Committee, J. Walkden, Howard chambers
School Attendance Officer, Herbert Harrison, Pike’s lane
Water Inspector, John Garner, 46 Church street
Head Constable & Inspector of Hackney Carriages & Captain of Fire Brigade, John G. Hodgson, Ellison street
Inspector of Police, John. Cooper, Albert st. Hadfield
Sanitary & Lighting Inspector, Samuel Dane, Town hall
Baths Superintendent, S. Whitehead
Park Superintendent, P. Rowbottom
Collectors, General District Rate, S. Fletcher, 39 Norfolk street, Glossop; Borough & Watch, James Bridge, 11 Hadfield place; Water, Thomas Rhodes; Hadfield district, John C. Nield, North road, Glossop

BOROUGH MAGISTRATES.
The Mayor
Bowden William H. Howard street, Glossop
Dawson William, Knowl house, Station road, Hadfield
Hardman John, Ingle Nook, Glossop
Holdgate William, North road, Glossop
Hunter Thomas Pearson, Talbot road, Glossop
Knowles Charles E. Holmdale, North road, Glossop
Merry James, St. Mary’s road, Glossop
Rowbottom Samuel, Shepley street, Glossop
Shepley Charles, Woffenden, Brookfield, Dinting
Sidebottom Ralph B. Hollincross lane, Glossop
Swire Thomas. High street, West Glossop
Waterhouse Ezra, North road, Glossop
White William M.D. Hadfield road, Hadfield
Wood Samuel Hill, Moorfield, Glossop
Clerk, Theo. Walter Ellison, Norfolk chambers
The magistrates meet on Monday at the Town hall every fortnight at 2.30 p.m

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR GLOSSOP PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.
Partington Capt. Edward (chairman), Easton, High st. east, Glossop
Howard of Glossop Lord, Glossop hall, Glossop
Barr John esq. Dinting lodge, Glossop
Brown. James esq. Chisworth house, Charlesworth
Ollerenshaw George esq. Highfield, Glossop
Partington Herbert, Talbot house, Glossop
Partington Oswald esq. M.P. Westwood, Grantham
Platt Edward, Mersey bank, Hadfield, Manchester
Rowbottom Geo. esq. Chisworth, Charlesworth, Manchester
Rowbottom Jas. esq. Beech ho. Charlesworth, Manchester
Sidebottom Col. William V.D. Harewood lodge, Broadbottom, Cheshire
Wainwright Col. Charles Richard, Norwood, Marple
Wainwright Joel esq. Finchwood, Marple Bridge, Stockprt
Weetman Henry, Wren Nest house, Glossop
Wood John esq. D.L. Whitfield house, Glossop
Woodhouse Percy esq. Marple Bridge, Stockport
The mayor of Glossop & the chairman, for the time being, of the Glossop Dale Rural District Council, are ex-officio magistrates
Clerk to the Magistrates, Theo. Walt. Ellison, Norfolk chambers
Petty Sessions are held at the Town hall at intervals of two or three weeks, at 11.30 a.m. Thursdays. The following places are included in the division:—Charlesworth, Chisworth, Chunal, Compstall, Ludworth, Marple Bridge & Simmondley

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.
Borough Police Office, Ellison street, John G. Hodgson, head constable; 1 inspector, 4 sergeants & 23 constables
Borough Police Station, Albert street, Hadfield, John Cooper, inspector, & 6 constables
Cemetery, Cemetery road, Hadfield, Joseph Marsden, clerk, offices, Norfolk square
Convalescent Home, North road
County Court, His Honor W. Denman Benson K.C. Judge ; Percy Edward Ireland, registrar & high bailiff; office, Market st, open from 10 to 4, on Saturday from 10 till I. The county court is held at the Town hall & comprises the following parishes:—Arnfield & district of Tintwistle, Brownside, Charlesworth, Chisworth, Chunal, Dinting, Gamesley, Glossop, Hadfield, Hollingworth, Padfield, Phoside, Simmondley, Torside, Whitfield, Woodhead & Woolley Bridge.
For bankruptcy purposes this Court is included in that of Ashton-under-Lyne, John Grant Gibson, official receiver; E. Johnson, assistant; official receiver, Byrom street Manchester
Certified Bailiffs under the “Law of Distress Amendment Act,” Edwin Collier, Sheffield road & John T. Goddard, Howard street
Free Library & Public Hall, Fauvel road, Miss Bessie Hodgson, librarian
Howard Park, North road
Public Baths, The Park
Theatre Royal, Victoria street, Sydney Spenser, proprietor & manager
Town Hall, High street west
Wood’s Hospital, The Park, Arthur Walker M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond. Robt. Nelson M.D., M.Ch.R.U.I. Duncan John Mackenzie M.D., C.M.Aberd. William White M.D., C.M. Alex. C. Nicol L.R.C.P.Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng. Bennett Ralph Sidebottom L.R.C.P. Edin. William James Bowden M.B., Ch.B.Vict. Joseph Hadfield M.B., M.S.Aberd. & Harry Waytes Pomfret M.D.Vict., F.R.C.S.Eng. medical officers; R. W. Bollans esq. hon. sec. ; Miss Stubbs, matron

TERRITORIAL FORCE.
6th Battalion Cheshire Regiment (H Company), Drill hall; Capt. & Hon. Major F. G. Knowles, commanding:; Surg.-Capt. R. B. Sidebottom; Surg.-Lieut. R. Ollerenshaw & Lieut. G. B. Heywood, medical officers; Rev. W. J. Canton, chaplain; J. Kinnest, color-sergt.-instructor

GLOSSOP UNION.
Board day, every alternate Wednesday, at 3. p.m.
Chairman of the Board of Guardians, E. Waterhouse, North road, Glossop
Glossop union comprises the following parishes :—Charlesworth, Chisworth, Glossop & Ludworth. The population of the union in 1901 was 25,677; area, 20,943 acres; rateable value at Lady Day, 1908, £121,007
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, Thomas Swindells Bowden, 3 Wellgate, Glossop
Treasurer, Harry Broadhurst, Norfolk square, Glossop
Collector, James Bridge, 11 Hadfield place
Relieving Officer, Ellis Sidebottom, 67 Norfolk street
Vaccination Officer, Charles Beard, Norfolk square
Medical Officers, No. 1 district, William James Bowden M.B., Ch.B. 47 Norfolk street, Glossop ; No. 2 district, R. Wilfred Bollans MB., Ch.B. Railway street, Hadfield; No. 3 district, Charles Henry Hibbert L.R.C.P. & S.Edin. Marple Bridge
Public Vaccinator for the Union, Arthur Walker M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. 16 High street west
Workhouse, to hold 144 inmates, John Warrington, master; William James Bowden, medical officer; Mrs. Hannah Warrington, matron
Superintendent Registrar, Rufus Hartley, Market st.; deputy, Arthur France, Market street
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, Glossop sub-district, Thos. Swindells Bowden, 3 Wellgate, Glossop

PUBLIC OFFICERS.
Assistant Overseer, David Massey, 62 High street east
Clerk to the Burial Board, Joseph Marsden, Henry st
Coroner for the Honor of Tutbury, S. Taylor, of Buxton
Market Inspector, John C. Nield, North road
Stamp Distributor,Joseph Shepherd,Post office, Norfolk sq

PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of services.
Parish Church, Rev. Charles Dudley Hart L.Th. Vicar; 8 & 10.45 am & 2.30 & 6.30 p.m. & holy days, 11 a.m. ; wed. & fri,11 a.m. & 7.30 p.m
Holy Trinity, Dinting, Rev. Henry Lawrance M.A. vicar; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; thurs. 7.30 p.m
St. Andrew, Hadfield, Rev. Joseph Hadfield, vicar; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; wed. 7.30 p.m
St. James’, Whitfield, Rev. William Martin Martin-Ellis M.A. vicar; Rev. Henry Norman Roberts, curate; 8 & 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; daily, 9.30 a.m. & 5 p.m. ; wed. 7 p.m
St. James’ Mission Room, Chapel street; 3.15 p.m
St. Luke’s, Whitfield, Rev. Hubert Thomas Parks M.A., LL.B. curate in charge; 8 & 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; thurs. 7.30 p.m
All Saints’ Catholic, Rev. William Reginald Winder, priest ; 9.30 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m
Sumner Memorial Catholic Church (St. Mary’s), Sumner street, Very Rev. Canon W. A. Hawkins M.R. & Rev. Leo Arendzen, priests; 8, 9.30 & 11 am. & 3.15 & 6.30 p.m. ; daily at 7.45 a.m. ; thurs. & sat. 7.30 p.m
St. Charles Borromeo, Catholic, Hadfield, Right Rev. Mgr. & Canon Hermann Sabela, priest; 8.30 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; daily, 7 a.m. ; holidays of obligation, 5 & 8.30 a.m
Congregational, Littlemoor, Rev. Wm. Latham Parker; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; seat 800
Congregational, St. Mary’s road (Mount Pleasant), Rev. Samuel Skelhorn B.A. ; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; wed. 7.30 p.m. ; seat 600
Congregational, Brookfield; 10.45 a m. & 6 p.m. ; alternate weds. 7.30 p.m
Primitive Methodist.
Rev. Joseph Yearsley.
Shrewsbury street; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; seat 730
United Methodist Church.
Rev. George Thompson.
Hall Street; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; alternate weds. 7.30 p.m. ; seat 450
Dinting, Simmondley lane ; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m
Hadfield, Station road; 2.30 & 6 p.m
Whitfield ; 2.30 & 6 p.m. ; thurs. 7.30 p.m. ; seat 400
Unitarian, Fitzalan street, Rev. Jenkyn Thomas ; 10.45 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; wed. 7.45 p.m.; seat 300
Wesleyan Methodist, High street west, Rev. Charles Bryant (supt.) & Rev. Herbert J. Birtwistle ; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; seat 1,500. Wesley street, 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; thurs. 7.30 p.m. ; seat 400. Whitfield, 2.30 & 6 p.m. ; wed. 7.30 p.m. ; seat 400. Hadfield, 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. Padfield, 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m
Wesleyan Reformers, Howard street, Rev. Charles Noakes ; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; wed. 7.30 p.m
Hadfield Mission Room, Princes street
Salvation Army Hall, Edward street; 11 a.m. & 6.45 p.m

SCHOOLS.
Under the provisions of the “Education Act, 1902,” an Education Committee has been formed, consisting of 36 members
Officers.
Secretary to the Committee, Joseph Walkden, Howard chambers
Attendance Officers, H. Harrison, Howard street & J. Sidebottom, Pike’s lane
The Borough of Glossop Secondary (mixed) School, Talbot street, erected in 1900 by Lord Howard of Glossop, comprises physical & chemical laboratories, art rooms, a mechanical drawing room, a workshop & a dynamo house. The laboratories are well equipped with modern apparatus & appliances. There are now (1908) 60 boys & 40 girls. The school is controlled by the Derbyshire Education Committee; Ralph H. Dickinson Univ. Lond. head master, with 9 assistant & 2 visiting masters.
Public Elementary Schools.
Brookfield (mixed), built in 1889, for 300 children; average attendance, 160; Walter Adshead, master; Miss Sarah Marsden, mistress
Dinting, C. E. (mixed), built in 1875 & enlarged by Mrs. Wood in 1887, for 320 children & 80 infants ; average attendance, 150 children & 52 infants; Thos. Beardwood, master; Miss Ada B. Consterdine, infants’ mistress
Dinting, United Methodist (mixed), erected 1889, for 323 children; average attendance, 122; Ernest Penney, master ; Miss Ethel Leech, mistress
Duke of Norfolk, C. E. Old Glossop, with master’s residence, built & endowed in 1852 by Henry Charles 13th Duke of Norfolk, & enlarged in 1887, for 250 boys, 250 girls & 100 infants; average attendance, 51 boys, 49 girls & 46 infants; Edgar Ollerhead, master
Hadfield, Council (mixed), erected in 1908, for 300 children ; average attendance, 160; Benjamin Whiteley, master; Miss Margaret Loxley, infants’ mistress
Hadfield, C. E. (mixed & infants), erected 1855, for 320 children; average attendance, 210 mixed & 50 infants, Percy John Holloway, master ; Mrs. Hutchinson, mist
Littlemore, Council, Victoria street (mixed), built in 1881, for 700 children; average attendance, 340, William Harvey Lawton, master; Miss F. Cordingley, infants’ mistress
Padfield (mixed), erected in 1887, for 255 children; average attendance, 220; William Lees Marshall, master ; Mrs. Hannah Shepherd, mistress
Talbot st. C. E. (girls & infants), built in 1880 & enlarged in 1897, for 350 children; average attendance, 240; William Hankinson, master; Miss Bentham, mistress
Waterside, Hadfield, C. E. (infants’), built in 1872, for 170 children; average attendance, 60; Mrs. Martha Ann Fox, mistress
Whitfield, C. E. (mixed & infants), for 580 children; average attendance, 550; F. H. Morris, master; Miss Gertrude Bradwell, infants’ mistress
*Endowed, Whitfield (mixed), with master’s residence, founded in 1779 by Joseph Hague esq. of Park hall, Hayfield, & endowed with £39 yearly, for 144 children; average attendance, 70; Walter P. Evason, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Evason, mistress
Catholic, St. Mary’s road, for 400 children ; average attendance, 219; Sisters of the Order of St. Paul, teachers
Catholic, Old Glossop (mixed), for 120 children; average attendance, 67 ; Presentation Sisters, teachers
Catholic, Hadfield (mixed), built in 1858 & enlarged in 1904, for 300 children; average attendance, 190; Sisters of the Order of St. Paul, teachers
Wesleyan, High street (mixed & infants), erected 1851, for 400 children; average attendance, 237; Henry Lindsay Hudson, master ; Miss Adshead, mistress
Wesleyan, Old Glossop (mixed), erected 1824, rebuilt 1876, for 300 children; average attendance, 140; Walter Houseman, master ; Miss Cooper, mistress
* Not under the control of the L. E. A.

RAILWAY STATIONS.
Glossop, John H. Schofield, station master
Dinting, Thomas Jackson, station master
Hadfield, William James Tippetts, station master

The Urban Electric Supply Co.’s Cars to Hadfield & Whitfield every 15 minutes

GLOSSOP
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Abraham Chas. Arth. Spire Hollin ho
Allen Edward Wagstaffe, Lee mount
Andrew Mrs. Holmleigh, North road
Arendzen Rev. Leo (Catholic), Sumner street
Armitage William, Spire Hollin
Ashton Samuel Thomas, 79 Pike’s la
Bamforth Sam, Cambridge house, Surrey street
Barlow Mrs. John, 39 Charlestown
Batten John, 27 Norfolk street
Beard John, 59 Norfolk street
Beeley Mrs. 13 Lord street
Beever George, Rydal mount, Dinting road
Bethell Mrs. 77 Charlestown road
Bowden Mrs. John. Moorside
Bowden Lemuel, 96 St. Mary’s road
Bowden Miss, 102 St. Mary’s road
Bowden Thos. Sawdells, 3 Wellgate
Bowden William James M.B., Ch.B.(Vict.), 47 Norfolk street
Bramall James, Spire Hollin
Bratherton Richard, 17 Lord street
Broadhurst Harry, Bank ho. Norfolk sq
Bryant Rev. Charles (Wes.),Talbot rd
Buxton Mrs. Hurst villa. The Hurst
Chapman Mrs. 49 Norfolk street
Chappell Raphael, 23 Lord street
Clayton Misses, 10 Primrose lane
Collier Edwin, Sheffield road
Collier Mrs. 44 Sheffield road
Cooper Mrs. 43 Primrose lane
Coulthurst William, 90 St. Mary’s rd
Crannage A. 53 Hollincross lane
Crossland Walter, 6 North road
Cunnington William, Fauvel road
Cuthbert John, Spire Hollin
Darwent Wm. Henry, 21 Lord street
Davis Mrs. Dinting road
Dearnaley Joseph, Parkfld ho. Nrth. rd
Dickenson-Knowles Mrs. Holly bank, Talbot road
Dickinson Ralph Herbert, Spire Hollin
Douse Robert Hy. 92 St. Mary’s road
Ellison Theo. Walt. Hill side, North rd
Evason Walter P. 14 Hague street
Fairclough Walt. P. Mus.Bac.F.R.C.O. Shaw street
Fielding Mrs. Christopher, 69 Norfolk st
Garside Alfd. Hawarden ho. Surrey st
Garside Benjamin, Bedford house, Surrey street
Goldthorp William Ellis, 5 Lord st
Greaves William, Sheffield road
Hadfield Frank, 73 Norfolk street
Hadfield John, Ashlands, Dinting rd
Hadfield John, 100 St. Mary’s road
Hadfield Joseph, Hollincross house, Hollincross lane
Hadfield Misses, Lees hall, Turn Lee
Hadfield Thomas, 75 Norfolk street
Hall Frederick James, Sunny bank, North road
Hall James Edwin, 63 Norfolk street
Hankinson William, 15 Lord street
Hardman Henry Charles, 11 Lord st
Hardman Jn. Ingle Nook, Dinting rd
Harrison Abel, Spire Hollin
Harrison Walter, 37 Norfolk street
Hart Rev. Charles Dudley L.Th. (vicar), The Vicarage
Hawkins Rev. Canon W. A. (Catholic), Sumner street
Hayward Miss, 71 Norfolk street
Holdgate Wm. The Tower, North road
Hollingbery Misses, The Hurst
Houseman Walter, 42 Sheffield road
Howard of Glossop Lord J P. Glossop hall, Glossop; & Dorlin house, Acharacle S.O. Argyllshire; & 19 Rutland gate, London S W
Howton Rev. Richard, Spire Hollin
Hudson Harry Lindsay, Spire Hollin
Hunter Edgar Norman. Sheffield road
Hunter Harold, Ain Garth, Dinting Rd
Hunter Thomas Pearson, Talbot road
Hurst John, 43 Sheffield road
Hurst Thomas Wm. 103 Victoria st
Hyde John, 1 Lord street
Ireland Percy E. Slatelands road
Isherwood William, High street east
Jackson Isaac, Holly mount
Jackson James O. Sunny view, Hope st
James William Henry, Spire Hollin
Knowles Chas. E. Holmdale, North rd
Knowles Francis Gordon, Beechwood, North road
Lake George, Lee Mount
Lawton Mrs. James, Norfolk street
Lawton William H. Talbot street
Leech Alfred, Cowbrook cottage, Sheffield road
Mackenzie Duncan John M.D., C.M. Loch Maree, North road
Mackenzie Hector, Loch Maree, North road
Malkin James, Sheffield road
Martin-Ellis Rev. William Martin (vicar of St. James’ & St. Luke’s), Vicarage, Whitfield
Maxwell John, Lee Mount
Merry Fdk. J. Cowbrook, Sheffield rd
Merry James, 86 St. Mary’s road
Mitchell Julian, 32 High street east
Morris Fredk. 8 Hague st. Whitfield
Nelson Jas. Milford ho. North road
Nelson Robert, 7 Lord street
Nelson Robert M.D. Norfolk street
Newton Philip, Phulcherra, Sheffield road
Newton William, Spire Hollin
Nicol A. Campbell, 93 High street; we
Nield Mrs. North road
Nuttall John, Sheffield road
Ollerenshaw Anthony, 4 North road
Ollerenshaw George J.P. Highfield, Talbot road
Ollerhead Edgar, 47 Sheffield road
Parker Rev. William Latham (Congregational), Littlemoor manse
Parkinson George, Ryecroft ho. Hall st.
Parks Rev. Hubert Thomas M.A., LL.B. (curate in charge of St. Luke’s), Fauvel road
Parrott John, Spire Hollin
Partington Edward J.P. Easton, High street east
Partington Herbert J.P. Talbot ho. Talbot road
Pemberton Henry, 43 Norfolk street
Pennington Miss, 57 Norfolk street
Pettit Edwin Walter, Devonshire house, Surrey street
Porter Oswald, 25 Lord street
Proctor Miss, 57 Norfolk street
Roberts Rev. Henry Norman (curate of St. James’, Whitfield), 24 Slatelands road, Whitfield
Robinson James, 77 Norfolk street
Robinson Miss, Cowbrook
Robinson Mrs. Spire Hollin
Robinson William D. Sheffield road
Rose James, 41 Norfolk street
Rowbottom Oswald, Shepley street
Rowbottom Samuel, Shepley street
Schofield Fredk. The Firs, Talbot rd
Schofield Miss, 71 Norfolk street
Scholes J. C. Sheffield road
Sellars Squire, 45 Norfolk street
Sharpe Fredk. Walt. 85 Primrose la
Shaw Edwin, 87 Primrose lane
Shepley Mrs. 65 Norfolk street
Sheppard Mrs. Simmondley lane
Sidebottom Joshua, 31 Norfolk street
Sidebottom Ralph Bennett, Hollincross lane
Skelhorn Rev. Samuel (Congregational), Spire Hollin
Skelton Peter, 53 Norfolk street
Slightam Mrs. 3 Lord street
Smith Crosland, The Coombs, Dinting road
Swire Hezekiah, 61 Norfolk street
Sykes Samuel William Bennett, 84 St. Mary’s road
Sykes William, Simmondley lane
Taylor David, Spire Hollin
Thomas Rev. Jenkyn (Unitarian), Park croft, Dinting road
Thompson Rev. George (United Methodist), Sheffield road
Thorp Herbert Ernest, The Cedars, Sheffield road
Thorpe Harold, Woodleigh, North rd
Vernon William Henry, 21 Lord st
Waddell Thomas M. R. Norfolk st
Walkden Joseph, 29 Lord street
Walker Arthur, 16 High street west
Ward Mrs. The Hurst
Waterhouse Ezra, Arundel villas, North road
Waterhouse George, 55 Norfolk st
Waterhouse Thomas, 23 Norfolk street
Watkinson John, 88 St. Mary’s road
Weetman Mrs. Frank, Talbot street
Weetman Henry J.P. Wren Nest ho
Weetman William, Sunlaws street
West Harold, 2 North road
White Nathan Herbt. 45 Sheffield rd
Wild William Ernest, Dinting road
Wilson Mrs. J. 134 Victoria street
Winder Rev. W. R. (Catholic), Sumner Street
Wood John M.A., D.L., J.P. Whitfield house
Wood Mrs. John, Spire Hollin
Wood Mrs. Samuel, Moorfield house
Woodhead George, 43 Hollincross la
Woolley Mrs. Arundel villas, North rd
Woolley Mrs. S. 10 North road
Wragg Samuel, Sheffield road
Yearsley Rev. Joseph (Primitive Methodist), Shrewsbury street

COMMERCIAL.
Abraham Charles Arthur, estate agent to Lord Howard of Glossop, Estate offices, Spire Hollin
Adshead Frederick, Crown inn, 142 Victoria street
Ainsworth John E. beer retailer, 78 High street west
Allman Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 27 Bernard street
Amps & Shelton (Misses), ladies’ school, Primrose house
Ardern Albert, farmer, Hurst nook
Armitage Alice (Miss), draper, 8 Norfolk street
Arrowsmith James, clog & patten maker, 132 High st. wst
Ash Israel, shopkeeper, Mill street
Ashton Frank, grocer, 55 Hollincross lane
Ashton Fred, boot maker, 44 High street west
Ashton George, draper & grocer, 8 Gladstone street
Ashton Wilfrid, boot maker, 64 Victoria street
Aveson James & Co. furniture dealers, 48 High st. west
Aveson Annie (Miss), shopkeeper, 197 High street west
Bagshaw & Fielding,coach proprs. Surrey st.& Norfolk mws
Bagshaw Arthur, cabinet maker, 26 & 28 High st. west
Bagshaw Sidney L. artificial teeth manufr. 8 Charles st
Bailey Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 8 Chapel street
Ballington Ellen (Mrs.), butcher, 143 Gladstone street
Barker Ruth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 20 Derby street
Barton Alfred, beer retailer, 13 Bernard street
Bastian Sarah Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 267 High st. west
Bates Herbert, aerated water manufr. see Wilson & Bates
Bayley Richard, shopkeeper, 17 Arundel street
Beard Jessie & Annie (Misses),confectioners, 54 High st. we
Beard Charles, vaccination officer, Norfolk square
Beard Eliza (Mrs.) draper, 102 High street west
Beard Job, farmer, Kiddroyd farm
Beard John, tripe dealer, 134 High street west
Beard Joseph, farmer, Whitfield moor
Beeson Samuel, grocer & provsn. mer. 123 High st. west
Bennett Ellen (Mrs.), pork butcher & beer retailer, 96 Victoria street
Bennett George, news agent, 128 High street east
Benton Sarah (Miss), shopkpr, 1 Princess st.& 2 Mount st
Berrisford John, shopkeeper, 12 Turn Lee road
Berry George, fried fish dealer, 61 High street east
Beswick James, hair dresser, 230 High street west
Beth-Rapha Home of Rest (Rev. Richard Howton, pastor), Spire Hollin
Bill Posting & Advertising Co. Lim. (John Kidd Hollingberry, sec), Howard chambers, Howard street
Blackburn William, china dealer, 36 Victoria street
Blackman Albert Geo, assist. insur. supt. 13 Sumner st
Boardman & Sons, wheelwrights & smiths, High st. east
Boardman Walter, hair dresser, 85 Victoria street
Booth Benjamin, confectioner, 40 High street east
Booth John, baker, 28 Gladstone street
Boots Cash Chemists Limited, chemists (Harold West, manager), 19 High street west
Borough of Glossop Education Office (Joseph Walkden, sec.), Howard chambers
Borough of Glossop Technical School (Ralph H. Dickinson, head master), Talbot street
Bowden Fred, shopkeeper, 8 Hall street
Bowden George, grocer, Charlestown
Bowden Joe, shopkeeper, 128 St. Mary’s road
Bowden Samuel, farmer, Heath
Bowden Thomas Swindells, registrar of births, deaths & marriages for Glossop sub-district, & clerk to Glossop Dale Rural District Council, 3 Wellgate
Bowden Wm. Hy. builder & timber merchant, Howard st
Bowden William James M.B., Ch.B.Vict. surgeon & medical officer for the union, Glossop district, 47 Norfolk st
Boyd Henry, shopkeeper, 97 Pike’s lane
Bradbury George & Co. grocers, 385 High street west
Bradbury Albert, farmer, Whitfield green
Bradbury Charles, butcher, 141 Victoria street
Bradbury Frederick, greengrocer, 37 High street west
Bradbury Hannah (Mrs.), draper, 131 Hall street
Bradbury Thomas E. grocer, 16 Princess street
Bradbury William,gamekeeper to Lord Howard of Glossop, Sheffield road
Bradbury William, hair dresser, 6 Victoria street
Braddock George, insurance agent, 70 Simmondley lane
Braddock Walter, cycle maker, 53 High street east
Bradley George, beer retailer, 5 Bernard street
Bradley Geo. Prudential insurance agent, 15 Sheffield rd
Bradley Gustavus, draper, 90 High street west
Bradley Ralph, Royal Oak P.H. Sheffield road
Bramwell Luke, confectioner, 98 High street west
Bridge James, borough & watch rate collector & collector to the union, 11 Hadfield place
Bridge William, Rose & Crown P.H. 89 High st. west
Briggs Charlie, stationer & tobacconist, Victoria street
Broadhurst Elizabeth Ann (Miss), dress maker, 10 John st
Broadhurst Harry, manager of the Manchester & Liverpool District Bank & borough treasurer & treasurer to the union & rural district council, Norfolk square
Brocklehurst Annie E. (Mrs.), baker, 136 Victoria street
Bromhall John, saddler, 66 High street west
Brooks Edward, beer retailer, Arundel street
Brooks George, greengrocer, 96 High street west
Brownson George Limited, tailors & hosiers, 2 High st. east & Victoria street
Bruckshaw Annie (Mrs.), draper, 94 High street west
Buckley James, shopkeeper, 42 Arundel street
Buckley James Henry, pawnbroker, 13 High street west
Buckley Joseph Edwin, grocer, 61 High street west
Bunn Herbert, confectioner, 84 High street west
Bunting Joseph, hair dresser, 13 Victoria street
Bunting Joseph Hague, photographer, 83 Victoria street
Burkhard Charles (Mrs.), apartments, 14 Shaw street
Byrom Alice (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 36 Church street
Carnall Robert, farmer, Hobroyd
Carr Walter, confectioner, 23 High street west & beer retailer, 1 Market street
Casey George W. confectioner, 110 High street west
Cash & Co. boot & shoe makers, Victoria street
Cemetery (Hadfield) (Joseph Marsden, clerk); offices, Norfolk square
Chadwick John C. pawnbroker, 2 & 4 Cross street & boot & shoe dealer, 41 & 43 High street west
Chapman Albert, hair dresser, 187 High street east
Chapman Ernest, hair dresser, 14 Norfolk street
Chapman William, shopkeeper, 27 Sheffield road
Charlesworth Alfred, Norfolk Arms hotel, Norfolk square
Charlesworth Frederick, Junction inn, 379 High st. west
Charlesworth George, beer retailer, 99 High street east
Charlesworth George, butcher, 36 High street west
Charlesworth William, butcher & contractor, 244 High st. we
Cluskey George, house furnisher, 21 High street east
Cockayne Samuel, wheelwright, Surrey street
Coggins Nancy (Mrs.), certified midwife, 13 Arundel st
Collier Edwin,auctioneer & valuer & certified bailiff under the “Law of Distress Amendment Act,” Norfolk street
Compton James, tailor, 48 Pike’s lane
Conner John, shopkeeper, 271 High street west
Conservative Registration Office (High Peak division) (E. S. Lawrence, registration agent), 22 Norfolk street
Convalescent Home, North road
Cooper George, butcher, 139 High street west
Cooper Mark, insurance agent, Simmondley lane
County Court Office (His Honor W. Denman Benson K.C. judge; P. E. Ireland, registrar & high bailiff), Market street
Crabb H. shopkeeper, 164 High street west
Craig Elizabeth (Miss), dress maker, 21 Norfolk street
Crossland Wm. W. cotton waste dlr. Arundel Street mill
Crossley George H. grocer & provision mer. 30 High st. we
Crossley Henry, confectioner, 60 High street west
Cuthbert John, tobacconist, 80 High street west
Cuthbert John S. beer retailer, 277 High street west
Cuthbert Samuel, farmer, Whitfield barn
Dale George, beer retailer, 25 High street east
Dale George, news agent, 90 Victoria street
Dane Samuel, sanitary & lighting inspector to the corporation, Town hall
Darlington Edward, income tax collector, 9 Lord street
Darwent Frank, insurance agent, 19 Lord street
Darwent Jane Allen (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 15 Charlestown rd
Darwent Nathaniel, farmer, Betten hill
Davis & Knowles, solicitors & commissioners, Ellison st
Dearnaley Joseph, grocer & provsn. mer, 25 High st. west
Dearnaley Thos. ironmgr. & blacksmth. 125High st. west
Denton Eli, beer retailer, 38 High street west
Dewsnap John, pork butcher, 127 High street west
Dewsnap Martha (Miss), confectioner, 92 High st. west
Dewsnap Wm. Allen,saddler & harness ma. 24 High st. ea
Dinting Church Club (Albert Bradbury, sec.), High st. we
Dixon John & Son, coal merchants, Railway yard & 183 High street east
Dixon Lucy (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 90 High street east
Dixon William, coal mer. Railway yd. & 51a, High st. east
Doane Lot, shopkeeper, 79 Gladstone street
Dobson & Robinson, drapers, 34 High street west & 8 High street east
Dodd Jemima (Mrs.), chip potato dlr; 363 High st. west
Doncaster Henry, chip potato dealer, 21 Hall street
Doodson Sarah (Miss), draper, 76 High street west
Douse Robert Henry, accountant & registration agent, High Peak Liberal Association, Railway street
Downs Joseph, clogger, 46 Gladstone street
Doxon Walter, fried fish dealer, 56 Church street
Doyle & Son, bootmakers, 121 High street west
Dutton & Sons, decorators, 88 High street west
Dyson Joseph, boot & shoe repairer, 147 High street west
Elliott Henry, farmer, Heath
Elliott John Henry, insurance agent, 26 Milltown
Elliott Rachael Mary (Miss), shopkeeper, 251 High st. we
Ellison & Jones, solicitors, Norfolk chambers, Henry st
Ellison Theo Walter, solicitor & commissioner, & town clerk, clerk to county & borough magistrates & Glossop reservoir commissioners, Norfolk chambers, Henry st
Etchells James, grocer, 28a, Talbot street
Eyre George Herbert, beer retailer, Whitfield cross
Eyre Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 2 Whitfield cross
Eyre Mary E.: (Miss), draper, 74 High street west
Fairclough Walter Peake Mus.Bac., F.R.C.O. professor of music, Shaw street
Farnsworth & Co. fruiterers, 112 & 114 High st. west
Farnsworth George, shopkeeper, 31 Chapel street
Fielding Enoch & Son,watch & clock makers,39 High st. we
Fielding Hannah Maria & Ada (Misses), confectioners, 57 Whitfield cross
Fielding Arthur, insurance agent, 91 Victoria street
Fielding James, beer retailer, 64 Chapel street
Fielding Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 2 Wesley street
Fielding William Walton, shopkeeper, 20 Norfolk street
Fitzgerald John, shopkeeper, 6 Chapel street
Fletcher Samuel, rate collector, 39 Norfolk street
Flint William, Bridge inn, Market street
France Arthur, deputy supt. registrar of births, deaths & marriages, Glossop district, Market street
Ford Eliza (Mrs.), Surrey Arms P.H. 133 Victoria street
Ford Samuel, farmer, Derbyshire level
Free Library & Public Hall (Miss Bessie Hodgson, librarian), Fauvel road
Freeman, Hardy & Willis Ltd. boot makers, 27 High st. we
Freetown Working Men’s Institute (Thomas Prince, sec.), Kershaw street
Fuller Edward, saddler & harness maker, 8 Norfolk sq
Furness John, draper, 18 High street west
Furniss Brook, laundry, Whitfield cross
Garlick Matthew & Albert, coal merchants, Railway yard
Garner John, manager to Water works, 46 Church street
Garside Cyrus & Sons Limited, timber, slate, tile & cement merchants, Glossop saw mills, Surrey street
Garside J. & Co. mineral water mfrs. Fern ho. Howard st
Garside Joseph (Mrs.), farmer, Lees Hall farm,Turn Lee
Gas Co. (William Taylor, manager; Joshua Sidebottom, sec.), Arundel street
Glossop Carriage Co. Limited, undertakers & coach proprietors, Howard street
Glossop Conservative Club (Joseph Robert Sutcliffe, sec.), 26 Norfolk street
Glossop Cricket Club (Irvine Dearnaley, sec.), Sheffield rd
Glossop Cycle & Motor Co. cycle agts. 12 High st. west
Glossop Dale Chronicle & North Derbyshire Reporter (Glossop Dale Chronicle Printing & Publishing Co. Lim. proprietors; published Friday), 18 Norfolk street
Glossop Dale Chronicle Printing & Publishing Co. Lim. (Samuel Beeley, manager), 18 Norfolk street
Glossop Dale New Industrial Co-operative Society Lim. (John T. Hyde, sec.), Norfolk square; High street west; Charlestown road; Hall street; Pike’s lane; Church street south; 106 Gladstone street & Arundel street ; registered office, 2 Railway street
Glossop Dale Savings Bank (W. P. Evason, actuary); open on Fridays, 8 to 9 p.m. & Saturdays, 6 to 7.30 p.m. Howard chambers
Glossop & District Antiquarian & Natural History Society (Robert Hamnett, sec.), Norfolk street
Glossop Football Club Co. Limited (Joseph Robert Sutcliffe, sec.), North road
Glossop Household Stores,grocers & tea dlrs. 1 High st. ea
Glossop Ironworks Co. Limited (Sam Bamforth, manager), Surrey street. T A “Iron, Glossop;” T N 11
Glossop Liberal Club (A. Phillips, sec.), Railway street
Glossop Social Club Limited (George Strong, sec.), 4 & 6 Ellison street
Glossop Theatre Royal (Sydney Spenser, proprietor & manager), Victoria street
Glossop Trade Protection Co. (Matthew Osbaldesdon, sec.), Norfolk street
Glossop Young Men’s Christian Association (S. J. Large, sec.), Victoria street
Goddard Benjamin (Mrs.), beer ret. (off), 40 Pike’s lane
Goddard Harry, draper, 42 High street west
Goddard John T. auctioneer & certified bailiff under the “Law of Distress Amendment Act,” Howard street
Goddard Mary (Miss), news agent & tobacconist, 42 High street west
Goddard William, earthenware dealer, 240 High st.
Goddard William, hair dresser, 27 Charlestown road
Goldthorpe Samuel, beer retailer, 33 Charles street
Goodwin Nellie& Florence (Misses), Confctnrs. 112 Victoria st.
Grant Thomas, chip potato dealer, 137 Gladstone street
Grant Thomas, printer, see Schofield & Grant
Gray Thomas, grocer, 38 Pike’s lane
Greaves Charles, greengrocer, 56 High street west
Green Frank, confectioner, 36 Hadfield street
Green John, shopkeeper, 9 Victoria street
Greenwood Edwin, stationer & bookseller, 57 High st. East
Greenwood John, stone merchant, Hope street
Gregory Samuel, farmer, Jumble farm
Gubbin Ernest Sargent M.R.C.V.S.Lond. veterinary surgeon, Fauvel road
Hadfield Charlotte & Martha (Misses), confectioners, 46 High street west
Hadfield J. & Sons, spring mattress manufactrs. Derby st
Hadfield Thos. & Sons, drapers & outfitters, 15 High st. we
Hadfield Alice (Miss), shopkpr. 61 Hague st. Whitfield
Hadfield Amelia (Miss), confectioner, 12 Norfolk street
Hadfield Charles, farmer, Cowbrook farm, Sheffield road
Hadfield Henry, farmer, Cliffe road
Hadfield Henry, farmer, Flatt farm, Cross cliff, Whitfield
Hadfield James Wm. insurance agent, 161 High st. west
Hadfield John, shoe maker, 97 High street east
Hadfield Joseph M.B. & M.S.Aberd. physician & surgeon, Hollincross house, Hollincross lane
Hadfield Joseph, tobacconist, 63 High street east
Hadfield Walter, boot & shoe maker, Whitfield cross
Hadfield William, farmer, Blackshaw
Hadwin Harry, mechanical engineer, George street
Hall & Sons, tailors, 21 High street west
Hall Elizabeth (Mrs.), grocer, 146 St. Mary’s road
Hall Joseph, shoe maker, 201 High street east
Hallam George, chip potato dealer, 82 High street west
Hamnett J. W. & Co. butchers, 18 High street east
Hamnett Jas.& Son,watch & clock makers,14a, High st. ea
Hampshire Joseph, shopkeeper, 89 Gladstone street
Hampson John, farmer, 2 Hague street, Whitfield
Hardman John, dentist, 11 Norfolk square
Hardy John, boot maker, 14b, High street east
Harris James, tinplate worker, 17 & 19 Wellgate
Harrison Abel, coal merchant, Railway street; & at Broadbottom; Dinting & Hadfield railway stations
Harrison Chas. Smith, grocer & corn dlr. 122 High st. west
Harrison Herbt. school attendance officer, Howard street
Harrison James, confectioner, 62 Victoria street
Harrop Joe, tailor, 38 High street east
Hartley Rufus, supt. registrar of births, deaths & marriages for the district of Glossop, Market street
Hatfield Joseph, farmer, Blackshaw farm
Hawke Robert George, architect, Ellison street
Haynes Thomas, surveyor to corporation, Town hall, High street west & Pike’s lane
Haze Winefride (Mrs.), beer ret. & shopkpr. 28 Freetown
Heap George, shopkeeper, 147 Gladstone street
Heap Rushforth, shopkeeper, 199 High street east
Helm Fred, grocer & tobacconist, 36 High street east
Hepworth J.& Son Lim. clothiers & outfitters,1 High st. ea
Hewett William, shoe maker, 8 Collier street
Heywood Elizabeth (Miss), shopkeeper, 34 Princess st
Higginbottom Deborah (Mrs.), draper, 2 Victoria street
Higginbottom James, insurance agent, 33 Sumner street
Higginbottom John Matthew, chip potato dlr. 5 Freetown
Higginbottom Mary (Mrs.),draper & millnr. 17 High st. we
Higginbottom Tom, laundry, see Waterhouse & Higginbottom
Higton Frederick, ironmonger & insurance agent, 35 & 37 Gladstone street
Hinchcliffe John & Co. coal merchants, Railway yard
Hinchliffe Smith, news agent, Sunlaws street
Hindle James, beer retailer, 21 Charlestown road
Hodgson John Gregory, head constable of borough police, inspector of hackney carriages & captain of fire brigade, Police office, Ellison street
Holdgate James, painter, glazier &c. 149 High st. west
Holdgate James, draper & shopkeeper, 70 Charlestown rd
Holdgate Thomas, shopkeeper, 5 Milltown
Holdgate William, florist & seedsman, 23 Fitzalan street
Hollingbery John Kidd, chartered accountant, Howard chambers, Howard street
Hollingworth Hannah (Miss), shopkeeper, 27 Derby st
Holmes Frank, quarry master, Lees Hall quarry, Turn Lee; res. Turn Lee road
Hope Frank & Co. corn & flour mers. 72 High st. west
Howard William & Son, joiners & builders, 27 Hadfield st
Howard Fred, hair dresser & tobacconist, 10 High st. west
Howard Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Ashes
Howard Tom, shopkeeper, 41 Duke street
Howarth T & Son, joiners, Church street
Hudson David, Manor inn, 77 High street east
Hughes Enos A, chip potato dlr. 131 High street west
Hunter & Sons, hosiers, 5 High street west
Hunter John Joseph, plumber, 140 High street west
Hunter Thomas Pearson, draper, 9 High street west
Hunters The Teamen Limited, grocers, 4 High st. east
Hurst Walter, tailor, 9 High street east
Hyde George (Mrs.), milliner & fancy draper, 50 High street west
Hyde Walter, hatter & tobacconist, 32 High street west
Independent Labour Party (branch) (J. D. Doyle, sec.); hall George street
Independent Order of Good Templars (meet every week at Good Templars’ room, Fitzalan street, Tuesdays, 8 p.m.):(Samuel Wood L.D.), 15 Charles street
Ingham Hannah (Mrs.), dress maker, 71 High street west
Ingham James W. picture frame ma. 71 High st. west
Ireland Percy E. solicitor, & registrar to Glossop County Court, Market street
Irlam W.H.& Co. Lim. printers & bookbinders, 1 Surrey st
Jackson Isaac & Sons Limited, belting & belt fastener manufacturers, Hawkshead mills, Glossop; & Dudley hill, Bradford. T A “Fastner, Glossop;” N T 20
Jackson Levi & Sons, rope & twine manfrs. Hobroyd
Jackson Arthur, cabinet maker, Pike’s lane
Jackson Charles, draper, 106 Pike’s lane
Jackson Walter, farmer, Hobroyd
James Francis, joiner, Ash grove, Sheffield road
Jenkinson John, bookbinder, stationer & dealer in fancy goods, 55 High street west
Jepson Joseph, agent for Jones’ sewing machines, 50 Pike’s lane
Johnson & Rangeley, iron founders, George street
Jones George Harrison Eaton, solicitor (firm, Ellison & Jones), Norfolk chambers, Henry street
Jones Leonard S. tailor, 102 Victoria street
Jones Sam, baker, Bernard street
Joyce Ernest Albert, insurance agent, 58 Arundel st
Kelly Frank, general dealer, 120 Kershaw street
Kennington. Martha (Mrs.), hosier & tobacconist, Town Hall buildings, High street west
Kenny Margaret (Mrs.), confectioner, Norfolk square
Kenworthy Elizabeth (Miss), draper, 14 High street east
Kershaw John, clogger, 1318 Victoria street
Kidd William, tripe dealer, 166 High street west
Kinder George & Son, grocers, & post office, 196 & 198 High street west
Kinder Walter & Sons, slaters & plasterers, 35 Sumner st
Kinnest Color-Sergt. J. drill instructor to H Co. 6th Territorial Battalion Cheshire Regiment, Drill hall
Kirk Emma Ann (Mrs.), Hare & Hounds P.H. 27 Hall st
Kirk William, ironmonger, 181 High street east
Knott Walter, tinplate worker, 108 Victoria street
Knowles Francis Gordon, solicitor & commissioner (firm, Davis & Knowles), Ellison street
Large Samuel J. milliner, 79 High street east
Lathams Stores, china, glass & earthenware dealers, grocers, provision merchants & importers of domestic & fancy goods, High street east; Norfolk street & Victoria street; offices & warehouse, Ellison street
Lee Sarah (Mrs.), fried fish dealer, 129 High st. east
Lees Hannah & Clarice (Misses), confectioners, 104 High street west
Lester James, hair dresser, 138 High street west
Little Edith J. (Miss), teacher of music, 68 Simmondley la
Little Robert, insurance agent & poultry farmer, 68 Simmondley lane
Lockwood Annie (Miss), shopkeeper, 19 Gladstone street
Lockwood Thomas, coal merchant, Railway yard
Logan Peter, boot repairer, 21 Wellgate
Longden Alfred, farmer & stone engraver, Wimberry hill
Lord Herbert, confectioner, 14 High street west
Lowe Moses, Grapes inn, 305 High street west
Lyne Mary Elizabeth (Miss), baker & confectioner, 3 High street west
Mackenzie Duncan John M.D., C.M, surgeon & medical officer of health to Glossop urban sanitary authority & Glossop Dale rural district council, Loch Maree, North rd
Mackenzie Hector M.B., Ch.B. Viet, physician & surgeon, Loch Maree, North road
McMellon Lydia (Mrs.), dress maker, Gladstone street
Maddock Frederick, farmer, Mossy Lee
Malkin J. & E. T. corn millers, High street east
Manchester & County Bank Limited (branch) (W. D. Robinson, manager), Norfolk square; draw on Union of London & Smiths Bank Limited, London E C
Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co. Limited (branch) (Harry Broadhurst, manager), Norfolk square; draw on London office, 75 Cornhill E C
Marsden J. T. & Son, farmers, Pike’s & Dinting Vale farms
Marsden Joseph, chip potato dealer, 140 Victoria street
Marsden Joseph, solicitor, & clerk to the Holingworth Urban District Council & to the Glossop Burial Board, Norfolk square
Marsden Thomas, shopkeeper, 40 Church street
Marshall Thomas, hosier, 86 High street west
Marsland Agnes (Mrs.), draper, 118 Victoria street
Mason & Robinson, pianoforte warehouse, 60 Victoria st
Masonic Lodge (George Brown, caretaker), Norfolk sq
Massey David, assistant overseer, 62 High street east
May Thos. & Sons, basket & skip makers, 53 Victoria st
May Amos, skip maker, 59 High street east
May John, skip maker, 7 Arundel street
Maypole Dairy Co. Limited, dairymen, Town Hall buildings, High street west
Melia Daniel & Co. Limited, tea & wine & spirit merchants, 11 High street west
Mellor Josiah & Son, shipping agents, 37 Hollincross lane
Mellor Hannah (Mrs.), confectioner, 68 High st. west
Mellor Hannah (Miss), shopkeeper, 18 Freetown
Mellor James Albert, shopkeeper, 9 Chapel street
Mellor Nancy (Mrs.), lodging house, 1 Chapel street
Mellor William, shopkeeper, 88 Kershaw street
Merry James, ironmonger, 34 High street east
Metcalf Mary (Miss), confectioner, 69 High street west
Middleton Henry & Sons, joiners & builders, Charlesworth road
Middleton Thomas, boot maker, 114 Victoria street
Miller & Co. (of Glossop) Limited, cotton goods manufacturers, Ellison street
Mills H. & A. O. opticians, 75 High street west
Mills Frank, farm bailiff to Lord Howard of Glossop, Laneside farm
Mitchell Ada & Gertrude (Misses), dress mas. 32 High st. ea
Mitchell Julian, surgeon-dentist, 32 High street east
Moore Henry, boot maker, 11 Victoria street
Moorhouse Wm. chip potato dealer, 170 High st. west
Moran Wm. J. G. chemist & drysalter, 7 High st. west
Morley John, Globe inn, 144 High street west
Morley Joseph, grocer, 50 Church street
Morton Walter, confectioner, Victoria street
National Telephone Co. Limited (public call office) (Miss M. J. Kenny, operator), Norfolk square
Neal Thomas, fruiterer, 72a, High street east
Needham Walter, shopkeeper, 29 Gladstone street
Nelson James & Sons Limited, butchers, 39 High st. we
Nelson Robert M.D., M.Ch. surgeon, Norfolk street
Newton John, grocer & beer retailer, 130 Pike’s lane
Newton Thomas, herbalist, 26 Princess street
Newton Walter William, shopkeeper, 49 King street
Newton William, grocer, 45 Bernard street
Nicol Alex. Campbell L.R.C.P.Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng. surgeon, 93 High street west
Nield John, boot & shoe maker, 20 High street west
Nield John C. market inspector & (Hadfield) water rate collector, North road
Norbury Sarah J. (Mrs.), greengrocer, & post office, Wellgate
Norbury William, Wheat Sheaf P.H. 16 Wellgate
North Derbyshire & North Cheshire Advertiser (Advertiser Printing & Publishing Co. Lim. publishers & proprietors ; pub. Friday), Howard street
Nuttall A. & B. (Misses), confectnrs. 12 High st. east
Nutter Robert, chip potato dealer, 106 Victoria street
Oldfield H. butcher, 110 Victoria street
Olive & Partington Limited, paper makers & tin foil manufacturers, Turn Lee & Dover mills
Oliver W. & Sons, ironmongers, 85 High street west
Oliver John Edward, milliner, 79 High street west
Oliver Ruth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 103 High street east
Ollerenshaw Abel, herbalist, 136 High street west
Ollerenshaw John, farmer, Cross Cliffe
Orme William, shopkeeper, 130 High street west
Page Solomon, hair dresser, 6 Norfolk street
Page Solomon, Talbot inn, 25 Hall street
Partington Edward, paper manufr. see Olive & Partington
Pell William, boot maker, 52 High street west
Phillips A. & J. carriers, 3 North rd. & 39 Surrey street
Pickford Lot, greengrocer, 117 High street west
Pilkington Ellen (Miss), Bee Hive inn, 35 Hague street
Plant John, farmer, Bank
Platt Benjamin & Son, grocers & drapers, 119, 121 & 123 High street east
Platt Alice (Miss), butcher, 49 High street west
Platt Fred, baker & grocer, 30 Queen street
Platt James, coal merchant, 11 Railway street
Platt Martha (Mrs.), confectioner, 142 St. Mary’s road
Platt Richard Ellison, Queen’s Arms P.H. 1 Shepley st
Potts Elijah, fruiterer 377, & shopkpr. 218, High st. we
Potts Henry, builder, 8 North road & Victoria bridge
Pownall John W. grocer, 52 Hollincross lane
Price James William, shopkeeper, 17 Freetown
Public Baths (Silvester Whitehead, mgr.), Howard park
Public Weighbridge (Thos. Parr, weigher), Railway yard
Rangeley Alfred, iron founder, see Johnson & Rangeley
Redfern Ann (Miss), china dealer, 73 High street west
Redford Joseph (Mrs.), grocer, 72 Victoria street
Reidy Ellen (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 10 Gladstone street
Renshaw John, confectioner, 273 High street west
Rhodes Thomas, water rate collector
River Plate Fresh Meat Co. Ltd. butchers, 58 High st. we
Robinson & Co. painters & glaziers, 62 High street west
Robinson James, painter, Victoria street
Robinson Jsph. Edwd. china & glass dlr. 16 Norfolk st
Robinson Kate (Miss), draper, see Dobson & Robinson
Robinson Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 29 Hague st. Whitfld
Robinson Walter, greengrocer, 76 Victoria street
Robinson Walter, pianoforte dealer, see Mason & Robinson
Robotham Arthur Shaw, Market hotel, Market street
Rodgerson Frederick, baker, 1 & 3 Charlesworth road
Roe Jn. clerk of works to Lord Howard, 14 Wesley st
Roe John Samuel, Bull’s Head P.H. 72 Church street
Roebuck Samuel, watch & clock maker, 23 High st. east
Rolley Thomas Joseph, tobacconist, 81 High street east
Ross William, Howard Arms P.H. 17 High street east
Rowbottom James, cotton spinner, Hurst mills
Rowbottom Peter, park supt. North road
Rowbottom Samuel, cotton spinner & band manufacturer, Meadow mills
Rowland John, confectioner, 70 Victoria street
Rack William, shopkeeper, 191 High street west
Russell George E. Albion hotel, 15 Victoria street
Russell Joseph, Commercial inn, 137 Hall street
Sale Harriet (Mrs.), beer retailer, 11 Chapel street
Sallis Joseph, shopkeeper, 213 High street west
Schofield & Grant, printers & stationers, 36 Norfolk st
Schofield & Wood, shopkeepers, 13 Charles street
Schofield Eliza Harriet (Mrs.), shopkpr. 26 Gladstone st
Schofield Fred, butcher, 83 High street east
Schofield John H. station master, 26 Howard street
Scholes Albert, butcher, 119 High street west
Sellers Limited, drapers, 3, 5 & 7 High street east
Senior James Henry, hair dresser, 70 High street west
Sheldon John, farmer, Brownhill farm
Shelton Summers, ladies’ school, see Amps & Shelton
Shepherd Joseph, stamp distributor, Post office, Norfolk sq
Shepherd Sarah Lucy (Miss), shopkpr. 59 Charlestown rd
Shepley Mill Cotton Manufacturing Co. Limited (James Sellars, sec.), Shepley mill
Sheppard Martha (Mrs.) & Son, mineral water manufacturers, Shrewsbury street
Sheppard William H. farmer & furniture remover, Ashes & Howard street
Sherry Walter Ingram, dairyman, 35 High street west
Shoebridge Septimus, hosier, 4 Norfolk street
Shorrock Isaac, confectioner, 142 High street west
Sidebottom Albert, pianoforte warehouse, 22 High st. ws
Sidebottom Ellis, relieving officer, 67 Norfolk street
Sidebottom J. school attendance officer, Pike’s lane
Sidebottom Peter, gas company’s collector, Shaw street
Sidebottom Samuel, Commercial inn, Charlestown
Sidebottom William Ellis, shopkpr. 14 Charlestown road
Simms Margaret (Miss), milliner, 51 Pike’s lane
Simpson Elizh. (Mrs.), shopkpr. 107 Charlestown road
Simpson Harvey Bramhall, grocer & dealer in patent medicines, 61a, Charlestown road
Singer Sewing Machine Co. Limited, sewing machine manufacturers, 62a, Victoria stree
Skelton Cooper, beer retailer, 17 Gladstone street
Skelton James, sand merchant, Gladstone street
Slattery Edith (Miss), shopkeeper, 82 Gladstone street
Smith J. W. & Co. estate agents, 13 Norfolk street
Smith Charles Lewis, cabinet maker, 55 High street east
Smith George, chip potato dealer, 185 High st. west
Smith John, beer retailer, 24 Arundel street
Smith Lizzie (Mrs.), stationer, & post office, 113 Victoria street
Smith Thomas, farmer, Turn Lee road
Stafford James, boot repairer, 26 Pike’s lane
Stagg & Son, wholesale wine & spirit mers. 10 Norfolk St.
Stanfield John Henry (Mrs.), plumber, Victoria street
Stevenson George, farmer, 60 Hague street, Whitfield
Steventon Rt. Clifford, Surrey Arms hotel, 67 High st. we
Stonier Arthur, greengrocer, 104 Victoria street ,
Stott Ernest, fried fish dealer, 63 High street west
Sumner Francis & Co. Ltd. cotton spinners & manufrs (Thomas Charles Fielding, manager), Wren Nest
Swan Joseph, farmer, 16 Hague street, Whitfield
Swann Alice (Mrs.), dress maker, 238 High street we
Swann George, watch & clock maker, 238 High st. we
Swann Percy, coal merchant, Surrey street
Swire John & Son, boot & shoe makers & leather sellers 6 & 8 High street west
Swire Henry, boot & clog maker, 21 Victoria street
Sykes Robert Woolley & Son, auctioneers, 100 High st. we
Tattersall Henry, pork butcher, 65 High street west
Taylor Albert Buckley, beer ret. & shopkpr. Charlestown
Taylor Edward, Station hotel, Norfolk street
Taylor Jas. E. house decorator, Hadfield st. & 13 Pike's lane
Taylor John, farmer, Ashes
Taylor Robert, insurance agent, Hadfield street
Taylor William, butcher, 24 High street west
Teasdale Albert, grocer, 45 High street west
Territorial Battalion (6th) Cheshire Regiment (H Co. Capt. & Hon. Major F. G. Knowles; Color-Sergt. Kinnest, drill instructor), Drill hall
Thom James, coal agent, 33 Norfolk street
Thornhill William, general carrier & haulier, Silk street & Railway yard
Thornley Betty (Miss), grocer, 4 Charlestown road
Thornley Hartley, butcher, 74 Victoria street
Thornley Henrietta (Mrs.), draper, 84 Victoria street
Thorp Walter & Son, coal mers. Henry st. & Railway yd
Thorp William, farmer, Hope street
Tinker Sarah (Mrs.), Greyhound inn, Hope street
Town Hall, High street west
Traynor John, hair dresser, 15 Hadfield street
Turner Manasseh, fruiterer, 26 High street east
Turner Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 76 High street east
Turner Mary Jane (Mrs.), baker & confr. 20 High st. east
Tweedie Edward, shopkeeper, 365 High street west
Urban Electric Supply Co. Limited (The), electrical engineers & contractors, High street west
Vernon Nancy (Mrs.), farmer, Whitfield green
Waddell Thomas M. R., M.R.C.S. & L.R.C.P. physician & surgeon, Norfolk street
Wadsworth Joseph, beer retailer, 14 Milltown
Wagstaff Joseph, stationer, 81 High street west
Wain & Son, fancy drapers, 59 High street west
Wain & Sons, monumental masons, Simmondley lane
Wain William Henry, shopkeeper, 17 Hope street
Walkden Joseph, clerk to the School Attendance Committee, Education offices, Howard chambers
Walker Arthur M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. surgeon, & public vaccinator, Glossop union, 16 High street west
Walshaw Florence (Miss), stocking knitter, 85 High st. ea
Walton John (of Glossop) Limited, bleachers & dyers, Charlestown works
Ward Annie Eliza (Miss), dress maker, 29 Pike’s lane
Warhurst Enoch, shopkeeper, 29 Surrey street
Warrington Albert, butcher, 19 High street east
Water Works (Jn. Garner, supt.; Thos. Rhodes, collectr)
Waterhouse & Higginbottom, laundry, Ellison street
Waterhouse Albert, chemist, 1 High street west
Waterhouse Martha (Miss), confectioner, see White & Waterhouse
Weavers’ Association (Ezra Waterhouse, sec.), Haigh terrace, Surrey street
West End Working Men’s Club (L. Bailey,sec.), Edward st
Wharmby George, oil & lamp dealer, 127 Hall street
White & Waterhouse, confectioners, 65 High street east
Whiteley James William, draper, 197 High street east
Whitfield Church Institute (D. H. Garside, hon. sec.), Chapel street
Whitfield Church Reading Room (W. Bramall, sec.), 12 Charlestown road
Whitfield Working 'Men’s Club (J. Berresford, sec.), 86 Wood street
Whittingham Francis & Son, brush mas. 10 High st. ea
Wild Ralph & Sons, tripe dressers, Collier street
Wild Selina (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 11 King street
Willey John William Crane, cabinet maker, 17 Norfolk st
Williamson Squire, fried fish dealer, 9 Princess street
Willis Sarah (Miss), shopkeeper, 9 Charlestown
Wilson & Bates, aerated water manufrs. High st. west
Wilson John Henry, butcher, 2 High street west
Wilson John Thomas, farmer, Carr farm
Wilson Joseph, hair dresser, 2 Milltown
Wilson Richard, boot & shoe maker, Sheffield road & 27 Sunlaws street
Wilson Robert Lim. bakers & confectnrs. 174 High st. we
Wilson Thomas, shopkeeper, 8 Derby street
Winterbottom Charlotte (Miss), shopkeeper, Shepley st
Witham John Thomas, printer & stationer, 87 High st. we
Wood John & Brothers Limited, cotton spinners & manufacturers (Wm. Walton, sec.), Howard Town mills
Wood’s Hospital (R. W. Bollans esq. Hon. sec.),Howard pk
Wood Absalom, consulting decorator & designer of original stencils, 21 Hope street
Wood Charles, beer retailer, 5 Norfolk street
Wood Hinchliffe, joiner & builder, Hadfield place
Wood John, farmer, Derbyshire level
Wood John, farmer, Gnathole
Wood John Charles, farmer, Hurst farm
Wood Joseph A. Swan inn, 78 High street east
Wood Peter, milliner, 51 & 53 High street west
Wood Rupert, boot repairer, 2 Charlesworth road
Wood Thomas, rag merchant, 6 Derby street
Wood Zaccheus, farmer, Kidd Road farm
Woodcock Matthew, boot maker, 57 High street west & 36 Victoria street
Woodcock Millicent (Mrs.), confectioner, 218 High st. we
Woodcock Phoebe (Mrs.), fancy draper, 31 & 33 High st. we
Woodcock Vincent, boot & shoe maker, 47 High st. west
Woodhouse Abishai, butcher, 36 Church street south
Woolley Robert, butcher, 77 High street west
Yates Alfred, shopkeeper, 3 Milltown
Youel Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 4 Primrose lane

BROOKFIELD.
Aldous Joshua, shopkeeper
Brookfield Working Men’s Club (Sl. Jones, sec)
Chambers Nathan, chip potato dealer
Dodd William, shopkeeper
Goddard Ellen (Mrs.), Royal Oak P.H
Hampson Mary (Miss), confectioner
Moss Joseph, news agent
Pickstone Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Robinson Margaret (Miss), shopkeepr
Robinson William, farmer
Robinson William, fruiterer
Shepley John & William Ltd. cotton spinners & mfrs. Brookfield mills
Willis Mary (Miss), draper

CHUNAL.
COMMERCIAL.
Firth Frederick, farmer
Hadfield John, farmer
Knotts Samuel, farmer, Monk’s road
Shepley William, farmer
Smedley Harry, Grouse inn, & farmr
Warhurst Edward, farmer & shopkeeper, Whitehouse farm
Wood John, farmer, Gnat Hole farm
Wood William, farmer

DINTING.
Barr John J.P. Dinting lodge
Bents Ernest, 107 Shaw lane
Hadfield Charles, Viaduct house
Jones Evan, 101 Shaw lane
Lawrance Rev. Henry M.A. (vicar), Vicarage
Rawsthorne Joseph T. 103. Shaw lane
Taylor George William, 105 Shaw la
COMMERCIAL.
Duckworth John, Viaduct inn
Fielding Harold, farmer
Gray Jane (Miss), shopkeeper
Harrison Frederick, farmer
Harrison John, farmer
Jackson Thomas, station master
Orme Clara (Miss), provision dealer & draper
Pickford John Joseph, Plough inn
Platt Albert Edward, farmer, Hill Top
Potter Edmund & Co. Limited, calico printers
Sidebottom Robert, confectioner
Skelton Charles, carrier
Wood James, clogger

GAMESLEY.
Shepley Charles, Woffenden
COMMERCIAL.
Ashton Edwin, boot repr. 32 Cottage la
Beard Frances (Miss), dress maker
Beaumont Edward, coal merchant
Clayton James, coal merchant
Findlay Agnes (Miss), dress maker, Charlesworth road
Fox James, general dealer
Garlick Albert, Magnet inn
Garlick Jas. insur. agt. 13 Cottage la
Glossop Dale New Industrial Cooperative Society Limited (The)
Grimshaw John, baker
Harrison Abel, coal mer. Railway yrd
Jubb Edwin, shopkeeper
Marsden Moses, farmer
Needham Joseph, shpkpr. Cottage la
Robinson James William, insurance agent, 15 Cottage lane
Simpson Wright (Mrs.), farmer, Gamesley farm
Thornley Andrew, farmer
Thornley John, farmer
Walker Jas. shopkeeper, Cottage lane
Walton Jacob, farmer
Walton Jacob, jun. farmer

HADFIELD.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Birtwistle Rev. Herbt. J (Wes. Meth)
Bollans R. Wilfred M.B. Railway St
Braddock Thomas
Dawson William, Knowl house
Eastham Thomas, The Thorns, Park road
Garlick Robert, Holm Lea, Hadfield rd
Hadfield Rev. Joseph (vicar & surrogate), Hadfield Cross
Kay Thomas, Green lane
Platt Edward J.P. Mersey bank
Platt John, Mersey bank
Rigge Fletcher, The Avenue
Rigge Thomas Q. Oaklands
Sabela Right Rev. Monsignor Canon Hermann (R. C)
Shaw John, Kent villa
Walker Andrew Paterson, Hadfield rd
Walsh Benjamin, Hadfield road
Whelan John Joseph, Hadfield road
White Wm. M.D., C.M. Hadfield rd
COMMERCIAL.
Early closing day, Tuesday, 1 p.m.
Aldous Thomas & Son, window blind mfrs. Hadfield rd
Allan Thomas, shopkeeper, 93 Woolley Bridge road
Ashton Arthur, ironmonger, 146 Station road
Baimbridge William, shopkeeper, Waterside
Band James, insurance agent, Woolley bridge
Barker Ann (Mrs.), grocer, 77 Hadfield road
Batty Ernest, photographer, 109 Station road
Belfield James, cab proprietor, 141 Station road
Bennett Thomas & Son, drapers & furniture dealers, 98, 100 & 102 Station road
Bennett Richard (Mrs.), milliner, 76 Station road
Bentham Tom, stationer, 47 Station road
Bentley Thomas A. butcher, 1a, Station road
Beverley John T. grocer & beer retailer, 31 Church st
Billinge Joseph, saddler, 108 Station road
Bollans Robert Wilfred M.B., Ch.B.Vict, surgeon, & medical officer to Hadfield district, Glossop union, Railway street
Booth Henry, butcher, & grocer, 117 Station road
Booth James, clothier & outfitter, 121 Station road
Boughey Ernest, hair dresser, Bankbottom
Bowden Albert & Co. drapers, 124 Station road
Braddock Thomas & Co. grocers, 111 Station road
Bramald Ellis, draper, 390 Hadfield road
Broadbent Ellen (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Waterside
Broadbent Emma (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Waterside
Brookes Frank, hair dresser, Woolley bridge
Brookes William, hair dresser, 40 Station road
Brooks Albert, greengrocer, 113 Station road
Buckley Joseph, shopkeeper, 25 Hadfield road
Butterfield Edwin, artificial teeth maker, 65 Station rd
Butterworth William, news agent, 22 Bank street
Cannon William, baker, 7 Station road
Cartwright Frederick, grocer, 102 Waterside
Chadwick Samuel, tinplate worker, Woolley bridge
Chadwick Samuel Woodhouse, ironmonger, 9 Station rd
Chadwick William, shopkeeper, 34 Woolley bridge
Chadwick William Thos. clothier & outfitter, Station rd
Challioner Samuel, grocer, 122 Station road
Child Thomas, furniture dealer, Woolley Bridge
Clayton Edward, butcher, 114 Station road
Clayton Edward, draper, 118 Station road
Cocks Mary (Mrs.), nurse, 36 Station road
Cooper John, inspector of police, Albert street
Crompton Joseph, fried fish dealer, 42 Hadfield road
Crowther James, grocer, 5 Station road
Cumberland Isaac, beer retailer, 421 Hadfield road
Dawson Thomas, Spread Eagle P.H. Woolley bridge
Dawson William, plumber & painter, 85 Station road
Dearnley Richard, draper, 55 Station road
Derbyshire Alfred Edward, decorator, Salisbury street & 130 Station road
Dewsnap William, farmer, Hadfield Cross
Dickenson Albert, hair dresser, 40 Hadfield road
Dutton James, grocer, 52 Bross croft
Earnshaw Abraham, butcher, 43 Station road
Ellis Walter, draper, 72 Station road
Ellis Wright, confectioner, 27 Station road
Equitable Co-operative Society Limited (John William Pogson, sec.; Charles Loxley, treasurer), 54, 56, 58 & 60 Station road; Woolley Bridge road & Stanyforth street & Padfield & Tintwistle
Etchells H. grocer, 91 Station road
Fernaly James William, printer, see Jagger & Fernaly
Fidler Joseph, ironmonger, 144 Station road
Fielding Ann (Miss), confectioner, 52 Station road
Firth Edward (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 58 Woolley bridge
Firth Thomas, insurance agent, 58 Bank street
Fisher Frederick Bismark, painter & decorator, 25 Station road
Garlick Hugh, greengrocer, 33 Bankbottom
Garner George Harry, baker, 17 Station road
Gartside & Co. (of Manchester) Limited, cotton spinners & manufacturers, Waterside mills
Gerrard James Edward, shopkeeper, 85 Woolley Bridge rd
Greaves James, boot repairer, 55 Hadfield road
Greaves William, baker, 103 Station road
Greenwood George, fried fish dealer, 34 Station road
Gregory Charles, coal & coke dealer, Woolley Bridge
Hadfield Bowling Green (James Guthrie, sec.), top of Bank street
Hadfield Conservative Bowling Green (Hozack Morris, sec.), Woolley Bridge road
Hadfield Conservative Co. Limited (Levi Lee, sec.), Woolley Bridge road
Hadfield Cricket Club (George Ross, sec.), Woolley Bridge road
Hadfield & Hollingworth Coal Association Lim. (Samuel Dodd, sec)
Hadfield Liberal Club (William Hodkinson, sec.), Bank st
Hadfield Public Hall & Free Library (John Battey, caretaker), Station road
Hadfield James, Arundel Arms P.H. Cemetery road
Haigh Mary & Sarah Ellen (Misses), bakers & confectioners, 90 Station road
Haigh James, news agent & stationer, 1a, Railway street
Haigh Thomas, shopkeeper, 229 Woolley Bridge road
Hall Thomas, watch maker, 31 Station road
Hampshire Martha (Miss), dress maker, 7 Kiln lane
Hampshire William, ironmonger, 51 Station road
Harrison Abel, coal & cannel factor, Station yard
Harrop Hugh, tailor, 29 Station road
Herbert Richard, furniture broker, 45 Station road
Hinchcliffe Allen, greengrocer, 150 Station road
Hinchcliffe Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 35 Station road
Hodges Samuel, tripe dresser, 142 Station road
Howarth Agnes (Miss), dress maker, 64 Station road
Howarth George Frederick, undertaker & furniture dealer, 62 Station road
Hoylands William, baker & confectioner, 116 Station rd
Hunters The Teamen Limited, grocers, 39 Station road
Hyde Joseph, shopkeeper, Railway street
Ireland Percy Edward B.A. solicitor, 91 Station road
Jagger & Fernaly, printers, 114 Station road
Jakeman Albert, stationer & news agent, 126 Station rd
Johnson Peter, herbalist, 87 Station road
Kershaw Jonathan, butcher, 3 Station road
Kirk Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 32 Woolley Bridge
Leah Abel Booth, coal merchant, Station yard
Lee Elizabeth H. & Martha (Misses), milliners, 91 Hadfield road
Lee L. & Co. grocers, 89 Hadfield road
Livesley James & Co. milliners, 104 Station road
Livesley Squire, draper, 101 Station road
Lockwood Thomas, coal merchant, Station yard
Lupton Edward, tailor, 8 Bross croft
Manchester & County Bank Limited (sub-branch), Station road ; draw on Union of London & Smiths Bank Limited, London E C
Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co. Limited (branch), 91 Station road; draw on London office, 75 Cornhill E C
Mansell William, shopkeeper, 53 Station road
Marsden Alfred, shopkeeper, Woolley Bridge road
Martin William A. draper, 11 & 13 Station road
Mellor George, chip potato dealer, 77 Bross croft
Meredith William, baker & confectioner, 128 Station road
Middleton Samuel Henry, general dealer, Woolley Bridge
Murphy John, shopkeeper, 19 Station road
Nelson John, Masons’ Arms P.H. 78 Station road
Nelson Samuel, tailor, 74 Station road
Newton Henry, shopkeeper, 103a, Station road
North Charles W. R. provision dealer, 23 Station road
North Charles W. R. Spinners’ Arms P.H. Marsden st
Pass Arthur, Pear Tree hotel, Hadfield road
Patchett Selena Wilby (Mrs.), butcher, 32 Station road
Platt Arthur S. beer retailer & shopkeeper, 1 Green la
Pott- William, tobacconist, 131 Station road
Potts James, builder & grocer, 2 & 12 Queen street
Powers Michael, provision dealer, 96 Station road
Poyner John, boot maker, 92 Station road
Public Weighing Machine (George Turner, weigher), Station yard
Ratcliffe Edward, stationer & news agent, 82 Station road
Ratcliffe Sarah (Miss), milliner, 104 Station road
Refuge Assurance Co. Limited, Station road
Rhodes Thomas Limited, cotton spinners & manufacturers, Mersey mills
Rhodes John, grocer, 88 Station road
Rhodes Matthew, beer retailer, Woolley Bridge
Richardson John M.P.S. chemist, & drug stores, 42 & 44 Station road
Roberts John James, pianoforte dealer, 89 Station road
Robinson Alonzo, beer retailer, 41 Station road
Rothwell Edwin, grocer, 94 Station road
Rutherford William, confectioner, 52 Station road
Sanderson Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 59 Hadfield road
Scholes Arthur, chip potato dealer, Woolley Bridge road
Scholes James, butcher, 39 Railway street
Senior James H. hair dresser, 106 Station road
Shaw Mary (Miss), shopkeeper, 80 Hadfield road
Sherwood Robert William & Co. manufacturing chemists, 28 & 30 Bross croft Shufflebotham Joseph, clogger, 1a, Station road
Slack Samuel, Palatine & Railway hotel, Station road
Slater Alfred, grocer & beer retailer, Waterside
Smith Arthur, Commercial inn, Bankbottom
Smith James, coal merchant, Station yard
Sparkes Mary (Mrs.), chip potato dlr. Woolley Bridge rd
Storey John Woodcock, builder, 110 Station road
Swift Samuel, boot maker, Queen street
Swindells Matilda (Miss), draper, 87 Hadfield road
Swire John, clogger, Woolley bridge & 114 Station road
Taylor Abel, confectioner, 127 & 129 Station road
Taylor Emma (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 34 Station road
Taylor Francis, greengrocer, 33 Station road
Taylor Robert, fruiterer, 12 Bank street
Thompson Eleanor (Mrs.), chip potato dealer, Waterside
Thorpe John, Victoria hotel, Bross croft
Tippetts William James, station master
Torkington Samuel, fried fish dealer & fishmonger, 21 & 59 Station road
Townley Tibertius Bertram, chemist, 15 Station road
Wain John, Anchor inn, Hadfield road
Walker Andrew Paterson L.R.C.P. & L.R.C.S.Edin., L.F.P.S.Glas. physician & surgeon, Hadfield road
Walker Elliott Morton, draper, 105 & 107 Station road
Walsh William, grocer, 154 Station road & 8 Bank street
Webb John W. hair dresser & shopkeeper, 1 Salisbury street & 134 Station road
Webb John William, umbrella maker, 70 Station road
Whelan John Joseph L.M. & S.S.A.Lond. surgeon, Hadfield road
White William M.D., C.M.Aberd. physician & surgeon, Hadfield road
Wilde John, blacksmith, 73 & 75 Station road
Willerton Emma (Mrs.) & Hampshire Mary (Miss), drapers, Woolley Bridge
Willis Charles, boot & shoe maker, 125 Station road
Wishart Jessie (Miss), draper, 148 Station road
Woodcock Matthew, boot & shoe maker, 49 Station road
Woodhouse Samuel, butcher, Station road
Woodhouse Samuel Shaw, confectioner, 99 Station road
Woodrow John, greengrocer, 79 Station road Woolley Bridge
Working Men’s Club (James Maycock, sec.), Woolley Bridge road
Woolley George, butcher, 86 Station road
Woolley Robert, butcher, Woolley Bridge
Worsley Arthur, joiner, 40 Bross croft
Wright Mary A. (Mrs.), stationer & postmistress, 72 Station road
Youles Robert (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 116 Woolley bridge

PADFIELD.
Rhodes Harry, Padfield brook
Sargentson Mrs. Rosey Bank house
COMMERCIAL.
Ashton Ann (Mrs.), shpkpr. 77 Platt st
Ashton Robt. shopkeepr. 111 Main rd
Bamford James, farmer
Bamford Rebecca (Mrs.), Prince of Wales hotel
Beard Joe, shopkeeper, Post street
Belfield James, cab proprietor
Bennett John Thomas (Mrs.), shopkeeper & dress maker
Brierley Harry, farmer
Davies Elizh. (Mrs.), frmr. Brook frm
Dearnaley Eli & Fanny (Mrs.),drapers & boot & shoe dealers, Platt street
Equitable Co-operative Society Lim. (John William Pogson, sec. ; Chas. Loxley, treasurer)
Fielding William Henry (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Platt street
Greaves George, Peel’s Arms P.H
Greenwood Edward, farmer, Lower Deepclough
Greenwood Hy. farmer & tripe dresser
Howarth Thomas & Son, builders, Lambgates
Knowles Ernest, shopkpr. 12 Platt st
Mayhew Frederick, music teacher, 107 Main road
Naylor Ralph, shopkeeper, Main road
Needham Mary (Mrs.), shpkpr. Post st
Oldham Arthur, shopkeeper, Platt st
Padfield Liberal Club (Saml. Dutton, sec)
Padfield Working Man's Club (Fredk. Broadbent, sec)
Pickford Fanny (Miss), draper, Post st
Platt Edwd. Lim. cotton manufactrs
Platt Edward, butcher
Pritchard Thomas, farmer
Rhodes Thomas & Son Lim. cotton spinners & manufrs. Hadfield mills
Sargentson James,cotton waste dealer & blowing manufacturer
Walmsley James, confectioner, Post st
Waterhouse .Jsph. fruiterer, 24 Platt st
Whitehead Ellen (Mrs.), fancy draper & news vendor, 14 Platt street



Button image Return to Trade Directory List Button image Return to Local History Articles Button image Return to the home page




Page last updated: 11 May 2017.