Glossop Heritage Trust

Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1928
Entries for the area of the Borough of Glossop.



GLOSSOP
GLOSSOP (or Glossop Dale) is a municipal borough, market and union town, head of a county court district and petty sessional division, township and parish, on the borders of Cheshire, with a station, 192½ miles by rail from London, on the Great Central section of the London and North Eastern railway, 9½ from Ashton, 24½ from Barnsley, 87 from Birmingham, 65 from Burton, 47 from Chesterfield, 55 from Derby, 41 from Doncaster, 87 from Leicester, 34 from Leek, 47 from Liverpool, 73¾ from Lincoln, 13 from Manchester, 20 from Macclesfield, 74 from Nottingham, 30 from Sheffield, 66¼ from Stafford, 10½ from Stalybridge, 11 from Stockport, 53 from Uttoxeter and 72 from Wolverhampton. It is in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, rural deanery of Glossop, archdeaconry of Chesterfield and diocese of Derby. The London and North Eastern railway from Manchester to Sheffield is carried across Dinting Vale on a lofty viaduct of sixteen arches, constructed of stone, about 1 mile west from the Town hall, and there is a branch line from Dinting to Glossop and Hadfield. The parish of Glossop, before the passing of the Local Government Act, 1894, comprised the hamlets of Glossop, Hadfield, Padfield, Charlesworth, Chunal, Whitfield and Simmondley. By the operation of the above Act, the borough became, by an Order of the County Council, dated Aug. 10, 1894, a civil parish, consisting of the whole of the hamlet of Hadfield, and parts of the previously mentioned hamlets. By the same Act the hamlet of Charlesworth, and the other parts of the hamlets, became the parish of Charlesworth.
The borough is divided into three wards, viz.: All Saints, Hadfield and St. James’. The corporation consists of a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors. The borough has a commission of the peace and a police force. The water supply, derived from Peaknase moors, is collected in reservoirs at Swineshaw. The town is supplied with gas by a company formed in 1845.
Portions of the old parish of Glossop All Saints have been taken to form the ecclesiastical parishes of Whitfield, St. James’; Hadfield, St. Andrew’s ; Dinting, Holy Trinity, and Chinley with Bugsworth. The parish church is a modern edifice of stone in the Early Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, vestry, organ chamber and a western tower, with spire, containing a clock and 8 bells, rehung and a chiming apparatus attached in 1877, at a cost of £180; the bells were recast in 1923, at a cost of £528 ; the tower was rebuilt in 1856 ; in 1902 a carved oak porch was added at a cost of £120, in memory of John Wagstaffe : the stained west window is a memorial erected by the congregation to a former Duke and Duchess of Norfolk, Robert Shepley esq. and John Wood esq. benefactors to the church : in 1889 the church was restored and three stained glass windows were placed therein, at a cost of £1,300, defrayed by Miss A. A. Wood and others : there are also memorial windows to the Rev. John Dickinson Knowles M.A. vicar, 1865-89, and Mrs. Mary Rusby : in 1915 the church received important alterations; the nave, a flat Georgian building, erected in 1831, having been pronounced unsafe, was pulled down and the present one of handsome proportions substituted; it is built of local stone and consists of five bays with side aisles, and a canopied southern porch with a Calvary terminal: in 1923 the chancel was rebuilt and a lady chapel added, Mr. and Mrs. I. Jackson, of Glossop, giving £6,000 for this purpose: a rose window, at the east end, and a carved reredos were erected in 1924 by the congregation, the former being in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Jackson : the carved oak pulpit was presented, at a cost of £325, by John Wood esq. of Whitfield House: the altar front, presented to the church in 1895, is of carved oak open-work tracery panels, flanked by figures of SS. Chad and Aidan, with silk frontals to slide in a groove behind the tracery : choir stalls of carved oak were erected in 1896, at a cost of £180, and in 1898, an oak screen bearing the names of the vicars of Glossop from 1321 was provided at a cost of £50: a font of white marble, presented, at a cost of £200, by G. E. Knowles esq. has been placed in a new baptistery : the old communion plate bears date 1745, but in 1877 a new set was presented by the parishioners : the churchyard was closed against interments, with modifications, in 1857-8. The registers date from the year 1620. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £420, with residence, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1927 by the Rev. Francis John Edmond M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, F.R.G.S. and surrogate.
The Rev. Christopher Howe, vicar 1793 to 1849 and for 40 years also incumbent of Woodhead, Cheshire, established a day school at Glossop, in which he personally taught, and partly rebuilt the parish church ; he died 1st Sept. 1849, in the 85th year of his age and the 57th of his vicariate of Glossop. Mr. Charles Winterbottom, for upwards of 60 years sexton and clerk of the parish of Glossop, died at the age of nearly 88 years.
The Roman Catholic church, dedicated to All Saints, a building in the Classic style, situated near Glossop Hall, was erected by Bernard Edward Duke of Norfolk, in 1837, and consists of chancel, nave and a belfry containing one bell: over the altar is a line copy of Domenichino’s “Communion of St. Hyeronome,” the original of which is in the Vatican ; there are also valuable paintings representing the twelve apostles : there are 250 sittings.
Mount Pleasant Congregational chapel, built in 1858, will seat 600.
There are United Methodist chapels in Manor Park road and Simmondley lane and a Primitive Methodist chapel in Shrewsbury street.
The Cemetery, of 6 acres, formed in 1859, was enlarged in 1894 and has mortuary chapels ; it is now under the control of the town council and Charlesworth parish council.
The Town Hall, with the Market House, was considerably enlarged in 1854 and again in 1919. In 1913 new municipal buildings were erected at the rear of the town hall.
The Free Library and Public Hall, Fauvel road, erected in 1887 by Herbert Rhodes esq. and Lord Doverdale J.P. at a cost of about £4,400, on a site given by Lord Howard of Glossop, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, containing a reading room and library of 5,000 volumes, lecture hall and a public hall : over the main entrance a tower with pinnacles rises to a height of 80 feet.
The Public Baths, Howard Park, erected in 1887 by Samuel Wood esq. and Mrs. Wood, of Moorfield House, at a cost of about £15,000, comprise a swimming bath, three private baths for males and a like number for females, and vapour baths : the buildings include a ventilating tower 100 feet high.
There are cotton factories here and, in the neighbourhood, calico printing establishments and paper mills : some of the former, and especially those of Messrs. Wood Bros {Glossop) Limited, and Messrs. Francis Sumner and Co. (1920) Limited, are very extensive, employing in ordinary times about 1,300 workpeople. The first cotton mill was erected about the year 1784, but previously to this a few woollen factories and fulling mills had been in operation ; one of these, the Gnathole mill, now covered with ivy still remains.
At Dinting Vale are the large calico printing works developed by the skill and energy of Mr. E. Potter, and now carried on by Messrs. E. Potter and Co. Limited (a branch of the Calico Printers' Association Limited).
Hurst brook and Whitfield brook, two feeders of the Etherow, take their rise on the adjacent moors ; the water of the latter possesses bleaching properties, which fact was taken advantage of in establishing the works at Charlestown. There are quarries producing building and paving stone. The principal market day is Saturday. Fairs are held from the 4th to 7th of May, also the 14th to 17th of September, for the sale of horses and cattle.
There are charities of about £40 yearly value, distributed among the poor on St. Thomas’ day, in money and clothing, by two representatives of the eight original hamlets of Glossop Dale.
The Wood’s Hospital, Howard Park, founded and endowed in 1887 by Daniel Wood esq. at a cost of about £6,000, the endowment fund being £19,000, is a structure of brick, cased externally with stone, and comprises two male and two female wards, holding about 16 patients, with kitchens &c. and an administrative block, containing the offices, store rooms &c. : to the west of the hospital is a detached laundry, with lodge keeper’s residence.
The Partington Convalescent Home, North road, built in 1908 by Sir E. Partington, at a cost of about £30,000, including endowment, is a structure of stone, and consists of two wings and one central block ; in the central block are the matron’s and nurses’ apartments; the home provides for ten patients.
Howard Park, North road, formed in 1887, at the joint expense of Lord Howard of Glossop, Samuel Wood esq. and Mrs. Wood, is situated on an eminence, commanding a fine view of the town and neighbourhood ; it is about 12 acres in extent.
Manor Park grounds, formerly the seat of Lord Howard of Glossop, and part of the manor of Glossop, were acquired by the borough of Glossop in 1927 for use as public recreation grounds.
At Old Cross, Old Glossop, are the remains of an ancient stone cross, about 12 feet in height, which has been restored and is in a fair state of preservation.
The town and hamlets appear to have been divided in the time of Edward the Confessor into several parts among different Saxon proprietors, but in the Domesday Survey, the whole of Glossop is put down as forfeited to the Crown ; and the Conqueror afterwards gave it to his natural son, William Peveril, whose son Richard, however, being disinherited by Henry I. Glossop was again confiscated by the Crown, and in 1157 was granted by Henry II. together with the advowson of the church to the Abbey of Basingwerke, “in free and perpetual alms for ever,” and this abbey had acquired before the 15th century nearly all the hamlets now comprising the Glossop estate; Glossop remained the property of Basingwerke Abbey till the dissolution of the lesser abbeys in 1536, when Henry VIII. seized it with other conventual property and afterwards granted it to the Earl of Shrewsbury, who in turn exchanged it with the Duke of Norfolk for estates in Ireland, and in this noble family it has remained to the present time ; the present lord of the manor is Lord Howard of Glossop.
The land is partly moor and pasturage. The area of the civil parish and urban district is 2,998 acres of land and o4 of water.
The population of the municipal borough in 1921 was :— All Saints’ ward, 6,184; Hadfield ward, 6,239, and St. James’ ward, 8,108; total, 20.531.
The population of the ecclesiastical parish of All Saints in 1921 was 2,767.

HOLLYBANK is a hamlet in the parish.

DINTING, formed into an ecclesiastical parish, 1875, is partly in Glossop borough, and has a station on the Great Central section of the London and North Eastern railway. This place is now amalgamated with Glossop and Charlesworth civil parishes. The church of the Trinity, erected by the Wood family, of Glossop, and opened July 1875, is a building of stone in the Gothic style of the 13th century, and consists of apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, an organ chamber forming a transept on the south side, vestry and a tower at the west end of the south aisle, with pinnacles and an octagonal spire reaching a height of 137 feet from the ground to the top of the vane, and containing 6 bells : the nave is divided from the aisle by circular stone piers, with moulded caps and bases : the pulpit, of Caen stone and marble, was erected in memory of the patrons and founders: there are several memorial windows, including the east window of four lights, erected in 1922 to those who fell in the Great War : the font, presented by Mrs. Wood, consists of a basin of Caen stone on a shaft of red marble : the organ was also presented by Mrs. Wood in 1882 : the building has sittings for 630 persons, 90 of which are free. The register dates from the year 1875. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £330, with residence, in the gift of Sir John Wood bart. D.L., J.P. and Sir Samuel Hill-Wood bart. M.P., D.L., J.P. and held since 1905 by the Rev. Henry Lawrance M.A. of Queen’s College, Oxford, rural dean of Glossop and surrogate. There is a United Methodist chapel, built in 1860, with sittings for 300 persons, 100 of which are free. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1921 was 3,094.

BROOKFIELD is a hamlet, 1 mile north of Dinting station. The Congregational chapel, erected in 1867, is a building of stone in the Early English style : all the windows are stained : it has 400 sittings.

GAMESLEY is a hamlet 1 mile west of Dinting station. In the hamlet of Gamesley are the remains of a Roman fort, called by the country people from time immemorial, “Melandra” and “Melandra Castle;” it stands at the confluence of the Course Brook and the Etherow: it is rectangular in form, with rounded angles, and had three double gateways and a single arched entrance on the south : the length is 398 feet, the breadth 368 feet, and the area 3.36 acres approximately, and in the centre is a square building which contained several chambers, and has been by analogy called the “Praetorium :” a good deal of pottery, terra sigillate and Romano-British ware has been found, as well as glass and floor and roof tiles, Roman coins from 68 to 388 A.D. and a quantity of trade and coin-weights, both Roman and Celtic. The miscellaneous objects include bones, flints, dice, iron, lead and bronze finds ; tiles marked with the initials V.V. (Valeria Victrix) of the 20th Legion, and a centurial stone, found herein 1771, and inscribed to Valerius Vitalis, centurion of the 1st cohort of the Frisiavones, which was in Britain, A.D. 105 and 124: it has been concluded that Melandra was occupied as early as 80 A.D. and again after an interval in the 3rd and 4th centuries: the summit of this eminence is still called “The Castle Yard,” and a tradition exists that Melandra was one of the strongholds of the ancient British in the time of the Saxon invasion. On an opposite hill, called “Mousley,” is the site of another traditional castle. Some stones which came from Mousley Castle, inscribed with rude hieroglyphics, are still to be seen walled into the gable end of a house at Hadfield, and are evidently Runic. Both Melandra and Mousley lie on the Roman road from the camp of “Mancunium” (Manchester) to that of “Ad Petuariam” (Brough, near Castleton).

HADFIELD, together with the township of Padfield, was formed in 1876 into an ecclesiastical parish, but was, August 10, 1894, amalgamated with Glossop; it is on the borders of Cheshire, within the borough of Glossop and county court district of Glossop, with a station on the Great Central section of the London and North Eastern railway. The church of St. Andrew, erected at a cost of about £4,250 and consecrated July 4th, 1874, is a building in the Gothic style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, south transept, baptistery, organ chamber and a central bell turret containing one bell : the font, worked in native stone, was presented in 1874 by Mr. James Sherriff, of Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand, and formerly of Hadfield, and had previously been exhibited at the Colonial exhibition, Victoria : the richly embroidered communion cloth was presented by the Rev. C. B. Ward M.A. vicar of Whitfield, and the credence table by Mr. Braddock, churchwarden : a new organ was erected in 1879, at a cost of about £650, by James Sidebottom esq. J.P. of Millbrook, Hadfield, as a memorial to his wife: the brass lectern was presented in memory of Beatrice Dawson at a cost of about £100 : there are 538 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from July 5th, 1874, and of marriages from August, 1875. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £390, in the gift of Col. William Sidebottom V.D., J.P. and four other trustees, and held since 1917 by the Rev. Archibald Campbell Macalister White L.Th. of Durham University. There is a Mission room at Woolley Bridge. The Roman Catholic church, dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, erected in 1858 by Lord Howard of Glossop, and consisting, of nave, aisles, sacristy, baptistery and a western tower containing one bell : there are memorials to Father McDonnell and the Right Rev. Monsignor Canon H. Sabela : the carved high altar of stone was erected in memory of Father Hickey : the Lady altar was presented by the Right Rev. Monsignor Canon H. Sabela : in the church are several figures carved in stone and many valuable oil paintings, one of these, a copy of Raphael’s “Transfiguration,” being placed above the high altar : a new pulpit of Caen stone, marble and alabaster was erected in 1894 as a memorial of the nomination of the Right Rev. Monsignor Canon H. Sabela as domestic prelate to his Holiness Pope Leo XIII.: there are memorial window's to Lord Edward G. Fitzalan Howard, 1st baron Howard of Glossop, d. 1 Dec. 1883, and Augusta (Talbot), his wife, d. 3 July, 1862, and others to Miss Margaret Mary Conlan, Mrs. Dorothea M. Gregory, Miss Sabela and to Mrs. Esther Mary Couban, and an “Ecce Homo” presented by Monsignor H. Sabela. Outside the church is a vault belonging to the Howard family. Adjoining is a presbytery. The Convent of Sisters of Charity of St. Paul, a fine building on the south side of the church, was erected in 1887 at the cost of John Dalton esq. The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1878, has 750 sittings; the Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1855 has 560 sittings; the school adjoining was built in 1858 to hold 500, and is used for lectures; the United Methodist chapel, built in 1876 and enlarged in 1885, seats 280. There are several cotton mills, in which the population are employed, and political clubs with news and amusement rooms. Hadfield Hall, the ancient mansion of the Hadfields of Hadfield, dating from 1646, has been converted into a couple of cottages; some years ago the handsome black oak carving was taken down and erected in a farm house on the Glossop estate. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1921 was 5,954.
Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office, 62 Station road. Letters through Manchester

PADFIELD, adjoining Hadfield station, 1½ miles north-west from Glossop and partly within that borough, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, parish, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Glossop, is included in the ecclesiastical parish of St. Andrew’s, Hadfield. The Wesleyan chapel, erected with Sunday school in 1880 at a cost of £2,000, will seat 400 persons. The population are employed in the cotton mills.
Letters through Manchester, via Hadfield

WHITFIELD was formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1884. On Aug. 10, 1894, the portion in Glossop borough was added to that parish, and the remainder amalgamated with the civil parish of Charlesworth. The church of St. James is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and a western tower with spire and pinnacles containing 8 bells, added in 1884, and a clock placed in 1885 by Miss Wood, of Whitfield House : the organ, erected in 1860, was enlarged in 1870, 1880 and 1896, and repaired in 1908 at a cost of £850 : the brass eagle lectern was presented by Miss Wood, of Whitfield House, in 1882, and there are two stained windows to the memory of John, Daniel and Samuel Wood : the church was enlarged in 1895-6 by the erection of a chancel and vestry, and the whole interior reseated at a cost, including special gifts, of over £4,000 : a chapel was added in 1928 at a cost of £2,000, by Sir John Wood bart. D.L., J.P. in memory of Lady Wood and members of his family : there are 1,100 sittings, 550 being free. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £420, with residence, in the gift of Sir John Wood bart. D.L., J.P. and Sir Samuel Hill-Wood bart. M.P., D.L., J.P. and held since 1926 by the Rev. Hubert Victor Nicole-Griffith M.A. of Selwyn College, Cambridge. The vicarage house, a stone building near the church, has been considerably enlarged since 1872. The church of St. Luke, also in this parish, was built in 1906 by Mrs. S. Wood, of Moorfield, at a cost of £5,000 : the east window was erected in 1928 to the memory of the late Mrs. Wood by the parishioners at a cost of £250 : the church is served by the clergy of St. James'. There are Mission rooms in Chapel street and Kershaw street. The Sumner Memorial Roman Catholic church, Sumner street, dedicated to St. Mary, founded and endowed by Francis James Sumner esq. D.C.L. of Park Hall, Hayfield, and erected in 1887 by his heirs on a site granted by Lord Howard of Glossop, at a cost of about £17,000, is an edifice of local stone in the Early English style, consisting of apsidal chancel, clerestoried nave of eight bays, aisles, side chapels, baptistery, south porch and an eastern turret with spire and ornamental finial, rising to a height of 90 feet and containing one bell : a stone screen separates the chancel from the side chapels : the altar and tabernacle are elaborately carved in alabaster, marble and Caen stone, and the pulpit is also of Caen stone: the organ cost about £500 : stations of the cross were added in 1889 at a cost of about £150 : in 1908 a memorial altar and stained window were erected to the Right Rev. Canon Charles W. Tasker : there are sittings for 900 persons : adjoining the church is a presbytery, built in 1889 by the Right Rev. Canon Charles W. Tasker, a former rector, to the memory of John Sumner esq. There is a convent for the Sisters of Charity of St. Paul in Shaw street. Littlemoor Congregational chapel, founded in 1811, has 800 sittings. Littlemoor Congregational schools, Victoria street, erected in 1881 at a cost, including fittings, of about £3,000, form a building of stone in the Italian style, and will hold 700 scholars; the schools are also used for lectures and concerts, and can be arranged so as to seat 1,000 persons: the front entrance, facing Victoria street, is surmounted by a turret 75 feet high. The Gospel Union Mission hall, in Ellison street, erected in 1888, is of stone in the Gothic style, and will seat 800 persons The Whitfield Free Library, containing 600 volumes, and the adjoining recreation ground were presented to the people of Glossop by George S. Ollerenshaw esq. J.P. In 1902. Whitfield House, the residence of Sir John Wood bart D.L., J.P. is a large stone building in the Elizabethan style standing in its own grounds. The inhabitants are employed in the large cotton and paper mills just outside the township and in the bleach works within its boundaries. The soil is various ; subsoil, clay. The land is practically all in pasture. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1921 was 8,649.
Charlestown is a place here.

CHUNAL is 2 miles south from Glossop and partly within that borough, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, parish, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Glossop, and in the ecclesiastical parish of Whitfield ; part is included in Glossop civil parish, the remainder being in Charlesworth civil parish.

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.
Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Victoria street. Letters should have Derbyshire added Town Sub-Post & M. O. Office, 29 Manor Park road, Old Glossop
Town Sub-Post, M. O. & Tel. Call Office, 198 High street west
Town Sub-Post & M. O. Office, 113 Victoria street, Whitfield

CORPORATION.
1927-1928.
Mayor, Councillor Richard Sellers.
Deputy Mayor, Alderman Joseph Edwin Buckley J.P.
Aldermen.
Retire Nov. 1930: John Platt, Albert Warrington, George Wharmby
Retire Nov. 1933: Joseph Edwin Buckley J.P, William Jackson J.P, William Newton
Councillors.
All Saints’ Ward.
Returning Officer for Ward Elections, Alderman G. Wharmby.
Retire Nov. 1928: Henry Hadfield, Arthur Mellor
Retire Nov. 1929: Saml. Thomas Ashton, Herbert Brown
Retire Nov. 1930: Alfred Leech J.P, George Platt
St. James’ Ward.
Returning Officer for Ward Elections, Alderman Wm. Newton.
Retire Nov. 1928: Joseph Dempsey Doyle, Richard Sellers
Retire Nov. 1929: Sam Bamforth, Thomas Farnsworth
Retire Nov. 1930: John Henry Cuthbert, Thomas Hy. Robinson
Hadfield Ward.
Returning Officer for Ward Elections, Alderman J. Platt.
Retire Nov. 1928: George Rollinson Goldthorpe, Hugh Haigh
Retire Nov. 1929: Robert John Boak, William Dennis
Retire Nov. 1930: John Davies, Herbert Lee Roebuck

Officers of the Corporation.
Town Clerk, George H. Lea. Municipal buildings
Borough Treasurer & Chief Rating & Valuation Officer, Samuel Fletcher, Municipal buildings
Medical Officer of Health to Borough & Rural District Council, Medical Superintendent of Maternity & Child Welfare Centre & to the Isolation Hospital, Ernest Henry Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dubl. Municipal buildgs
Public Analyst, J. White, County offices, St. Mary’s Gate, Derby
Borough Auditor, John W. Hirst, Alexandra buildings, 28 Queen street, Manchester Surveyor & Water Works Manager, William A. Mitchell A.M.I.M. & Cy.E
Veterinary Surgeon under the Diseases of Animals Acts, George Ellis M.R.C.V.S.Edin. 11 Fauvel road
Water Inspector, James Byrom, 17 Thomas street
Chief Constable, Inspector under Diseases of Animals Act, Inspector of Hackney Carriages & Superintendent of Fire Brigade, William R. Wilkie, Ellison street
Sanitary & Meat Inspector & Inspector under the Food & Drugs Acts, Harry Dane, Municipal buildings Parks Superintendent, John Metcalfe
Collectors, General District Rate, No. 1 district, James Alston Bridge, Municipal buildings, Glossop; No. 2 district, Walter Dixon, Municipal buildings, Glossop

BOROUGH MAGISTRATES.
The Mayor & Ex Mayor
Dixon Walter, Pike’s lane, Glossop
Doverdale Lord, Westwood park, Droitwich, Worcestershire
Doyle Joseph Dempsey, 6 Dinting lane, Dinting
Hankinson William, Lord street, Glossop
Hill-Wood Sir Samuel H. bart. M.P. (C.), D.L. 11 Great Stanhope street, Mayfair. London W 1
Hinchcliffe Mrs. Margaret, 30 Stanyforth street, Hadfield
Hunter Thomas Pearson, Woodside, Sheffield road, Glossop
Jackson William, Post street, Padfield, Manchester
Knowles Charles E. Parkfield, North road, Glossop
Partington Mrs. M.B.E. Talbot house, Glossop
Sargentson Percy, Beechwood, North road, Glossop
Sidebottom Col. William V.D. Harewood lodge, Broadbottom, Cheshire
Swire Thomas, 8 High street west, Glossop
Clerk, Percy E. Ireland. 6 Market street
The magistrates meet every alternate monday at the Town hall at 2.30 p.m

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR GLOSSOP PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.
(For addresses of magistrates see complete list at front of book.)
Doverdale Lord (chairman)
Heywood Lt.-Col. George Basil T.D.
Leech Alfred
Partington Mrs. M.B.E
Rowbottom James Henry
Sidebottom Maj. Ralph B., T.D.
Sidebottom Col. William V.D.
Sumner Francis George
Wood Sir John bart. D.L.
Woodhouse Sir Percy K.B.E. D.L.
The Mayor of Glossop & the Chairman, for the time being, of the Glossop Dale Rural District Council are ex-officio magistrates
Clerk to the Magistrates. P. E. Ireland, 6 Market st. Glossop
Petty Sessions are held at the Town hall at intervals of three or four weeks, at 11 a.m. Thursdays. The following places are included in the division :—Charlesworth, Chisworth, Chunal, Compstall, Ludworth, Marple Bridge & Simmondley.

GLOSSOP LOCAL PENSION COMMITTEE.
The Committee, consisting of 24 members, was formed in 1908.
Meetings are held at the Municipal buildings, monthly, on notice.
Clerk, George H. Lea, Municipal buildings, Glossop
Pension Officer. Samuel Arlis, Henry street, Glossop

GLOSSOP DALE RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.
The parishes in the District are:—Charlesworth, Chisworth & Ludworth. The area is 17,891 acres; the population in 1921 was 3,780.
Council meets at the Board room, Ellison street, on Wednesdays, monthly, at 11 o’clock.
Chairman, John Booth Smith, Marlingford, Glossop road, Charlesworth

Officials.
Clerk, Chas. Fredk. Vinten Fenton, 14 & 16 Ellison st. Glossop
Treasurer, Arthur Sherlock, District Bank Ltd. Norfolk square, Glossop
Medical Officer of Health, Ernest Henry Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dubl. Municipal buildings, Glossop
Sanitary Inspector & Highway Surveyor, Charles Edwin Storey, 10 Salisbury street, Hadfield

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.
Borough Police Office, Ellison street
Borough Police Station, Albert street, Hadfield
Cemetery, Cemetery road, Hadfield, George Henry Wilson, clerk ; offices, Norfolk square County Court, His Honor Judge William John Lias ; Percy Edward Ireland, registrar & high bailiff ; office, 6 Market street, open from 10 to 4, on Saturday from 9 till 12. The county court is held at the Town hall & comprises the following parishes:—Arnfield & district of Tintwistle, Brownside, Charlesworth, Chisworth, Chunal, Dinting, Gamesley, Glossop, Hadfield, Hollingworth, Padfield, Phoside, Simmondley, Torside, Whitfield, Woodhead & Woolley Bridge
For Bankruptcy purposes this Court is included in that of Ashton-under-Lyne ; John Grant Gibson, official receiver ; Fredk. Murgatroyd, assistant official receiver, Byrom st. Manchester
Certified Bailiffs under the Law of Distress Amendment Act, Edwin Collier, Norfolk sq. & Jn. T. Goddard, 12 Howard st
Derbyshire County Council Tuberculosis Dispensary, Surrey street, Patrick Heffernan M.D., Ch.B.Dubl. medical officer; Miss H. Millington, matron
Fire Station. Ellison street
Free Library & Public Hall, Fauvel road, Edward Thompson, librarian
Howard Park, North road, John Metcalfe, supt
Manor Park, Manor Park road, John Metcalfe, supt
Masonic Hall, Norfolk square, Percy E. Ireland, sec
Maternity & Child Welfare Centre, Municipal buildings, Ernest Henry Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dubl. medical supt
Ministry of Labour Employment Exchange, Victoria street, Egerton Doodson, manager Partington Convalescent Home, North road, Miss N. Beardwell, matron
Public Baths, The Park, Silvester Whitehead, manager
Town Hall, High street west, Allen Byrom, caretaker
Whitfield Free Library (branch of Glossop Free Library), Freetown. James Watts, caretaker
Whitfield Parish Hall, Arthur Metcalfe, sec. Kershaw street
Wood’s Hospital, The Park, Stephen Nockolds M.A., M.B., B.Ch. W. Gray Hughes M.B.. Ch.B.Edin. Joseph Hadfield M.B. C.M.Aberd. Edward James Allan L.R.C.P. & S.Edin. L.R.F.P.S.Glas. & John J. McShannon M.B., B.Ch.. B.A.O., D.P.H.Belf. medical officers ; George H. Lea (town clerk), sec. ; Miss M. C. Sanders, matron

GLOSSOP UNION.
(For list of places in the union, see information at front of the book.)
The area of the union is 20,943 acres ; the population in 1921 was 24,311.
Board day, every alternate Wednesday, at 2.30 p.m. Chairman of the Board of Guardians, John T. Hyde, North road, Glossop
Clerk to the Guardians, Charles F. V. Fenton, 14 & 16 Ellison street, Glossop
Treasurer, A. Sherlock, District Bank Ltd. Norfolk sq. Glossop
Relieving Officer, L. R. James, 14 & 16 Ellison st. Glossop
Vaccination Officer, L. R. James, 14 & 16 Ellison st. Glossop
Medical Officers, No. 1 district, Joseph Hadfield M.B., C.M.Aberd. Hollincross lane, Glossop; No. 2 district, R. Wilfred Bollans M.B., Ch.B. Station road, Hadfield; No. 3 district, Alexander Gordon Hastings M.B., Ch.B. Marple Bridge
Public Vaccinator for the Union, Stephen Nockolds M.A., M.B., B.Ch. 93 High street west, Glossop
Poor Law Institution, to hold 144 inmates, William A. Atkinson, master; Joseph Hadfield M.B., C.M.Aberd. Hollincross lane, Glossop, medical officer; Mrs. A. O. Atkinson, matron

Glossop Registration District.
Superintendent Registrar, William B. Hadfield, 6 Market street; deputy, James Harrison, 6 Market street, Glossop
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, Glossop sub-district, Chas. F. V. Fenton, 14 & 16 Ellison st. Glossop ; deputy, Levi Robinson James, 14 & 16 Ellison st. Glossop

PUBLIC OFFICERS.
Assessor & Collector of Taxes, John W. Darlington, Norfolk sq
Assistant Rating & Valuation Officer, Walter Dixon, Municipal buildings
Clerk to the Burial Board, George Henry Wilson, Norfolk sq
Coroner for the Hundred of High Peak, Sydney Taylor, 7 Hall bank, Buxton ; deputies, E. M. Brooke-Taylor, The Quadrant & George Henry Wilson, Norfolk sq. Glossop
Customs, Excise & Old Age Pension Officer, Samuel Arlis, Henry street
Market Inspector, Allen Byrom, Town hall
Stamp Distributor, William Potts, Post office, Victoria st
Veterinary Inspector under the Diseases of Animals Acts, George Ellis M.R.C.V.S. 11 Fauvel road

PLACES OF WORSHIP.
Parish Church, Rev. Francis John Edmond M.A., F.R.G.S. vicar, & surrogate
Holy Trinity, Dinting, Rev. Henry Lawrance M.A. vicar, rural dean & surrogate
St. Andrew, Hadfield, Rev. Archibald Campbell Macalister White L.Th. vicar ; Rev. William John Jones B.A. curate
St. James’, Whitfield, Rev. Hubert Victor Nicoll-Griffith M.A. vicar ; Rev. Charles H. W. Morrison, curate
St. James’ Mission Room, Chapel street
St. Luke’s, Whitfield
Sumner Memorial Roman Catholic Church (St. Mary’s), Sumner street, Very Rev. Canon William Reginald Winder, parish priest; Rev. Leo Lea, assistant priest
All Saints Roman Catholic, Rev. Joseph Ketels, priest
St. Charles Borromeo Roman Catholic, Hadfield, Rev. Peter Taylor, priest; Rev. John J. Murphy, assistant priest
Congregational, Littlemoor; Rev. John Henry Robinson
Congregational, St. Mary’s road (Mount Pleasant), Rev. Arthur W. Goodwin
Congregational, Brookfield, Rev. Alfred James Curtin
Primitive Methodist, Shrewsbury street & Mission Chapel, Princess street, Rev. John T. Lancaster, supt
United Methodist, Manor Park road ; Simmondley lane, Dinting ; Station road, Hadfield & Whitfield Cross, Rev. Richard Henry Hamer, hon. C.F. (supt)
Unitarian, Fitzalan street, Rev. H. G. Woodford B.A
Wesleyan Methodist, High street west, Hadfield, Padfield, Wesley street & Whitfield, Rev. William Henry Oliver Lake (supt.); Rev. F. Arthur Ashton, minister
Wesleyan Reformers, Howard street, Rev. Wm. T. Burkitt
Gospel Union Mission Hall, Whitfield
Salvation Army Hall, Edward street

EDUCATIONAL.
Under the provisions of the Education Act, 1902, an Education Committee has been formed, consisting of 36 members. The Committee meets at the Municipal buildings on the third monday in each month (except August) at 8 p.m. Chairman, Joseph Dempsey Doyle

Officers.
Secretary to the Committee, George H. Lea, Municipal bldgs
Finance Clerk, Harold Appleton, Municipal buildings
School Medical Officer, Ernest Henry Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dubl. Norfolk street
Attendance Officer, Joseph H. Sidebottom, Municipal bldgs

The Glossop Grammar School, Talbot street, founded in 1900 by Lord Howard of Glossop, is equipped with physical & chemical laboratories, art rooms & workshops; the laboratories are well equipped with modern apparatus & appliances. There are now (1928) 270 students. The school has advanced courses in (1) science & mathematics, (2) modern studies ; pupils pass on to Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester &c. Universities. The school is controlled by governors appointed by the Education Committee of the Borough of Glossop ; Charles H. Chambers B.Sc. Eng. head master

Kingsmoor School, established in Glossop Hall, the former residence of Lord Howard of Glossop, is under the control of a council appointed by Kingsmoor School Ltd. the owners of the school property. The school is governed by the head master, assisted by the teaching staff & the boys & girls themselves. It is a mixed boarding school on co-educational lines & has nursery, preparatory, junior & senior departments; Geo. Raymond Swaine, head master

Railway Stations, Norfolk street, Glossop; Dinting & Hadfield (L. & N. E)

Motor Omnibuses to & from Hadfield, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Dove Holes, Peak Forest, Buxton, Dinting, Charlesworth, Chisworth, Compstall & Marple Bridge.

GLOSSOP
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(For T N’s see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Allan Edward Jas. Beech-Lea, North rd
Allen Edward Wagstaffe, Holmedale, North road
Andrew Mrs. Holmleigh, North road
Armitage Mrs. Ivyleigh, Sheffield road
Ashton Roscoe S. Ryecroft house, Manor Park road
Bates John H. 4 Sheffield road
Bayley Edwin, Lyndale, Spire Hollin
Beckmann R. A. Hawkshead house
Booth John, 28 High street east
Bowden Mrs. 47 Norfolk street
Bramall James, Netherdale. Spire Hollin
Burkitt Rev. William T. (Wesleyan Reformers), 7 Sumner street
Chambers Charles H., B.Sc. (head master Grammar School), 18 Shaw street
Charlesworth Mrs. Arundel vils. North rd
Clayton Herbert, 118 Charlestown road
Collier Edwin, Hollywood, Sheffield road
Curl Wm. Christopher, 48 Sheffield road
Cuthbert John H. 77 Primrose terrace
Darlington John William, Wood view, Sheffield road
Davis Mrs. Park dene, Dinting road
Dearnaley Joseph, 2 Alexander villas, Talbot road
Dearnaley Mrs. Parkfield house, North rd
Dickinson Ralph Herbert, Ellerslie, Spire Hollin
Edmond Rev. Francis John M.A., F.R.G.S. (vicar & surrogate), The Vicarage
Ellis George, 11 Fauvel road
Ellison Theo. Walter, Easton, High st. ea
Fielding Hy. Brentwood, Spire Hollin
Firth Harold D. 77 Norfolk street
Fletcher Samuel, Chelston, North road
Francis Wm. Roberts, 50 Charlestown
Garside John, Castlemere, Spire Hollin
Goddard Benjamin, Cransley, Sheffield rd
Goodwin Rev. Arthur W. (Congregational), 17 Sumner street
Greaves William, Heathfield, Sheffield rd
Hadfield Frank, The Nook, Dinting road
Hadfield I. G. Eastlea, Sheffield road
Hadfield John, Norwood, Spire Hollin
Hadfield Joseph M.B.Aberd. Hollincross house, Hollincross lane
Hall Fredk. Jas. Sunny bank, North rd
Hall James, Lamorna, Fauvel road
Hamer Rev. Richard Henry hon. C.F. (United Methodist). 42 Sheffield road
Harrison Walter, Glen brook, Dinting rd
Harrison Wm. Oaklands, Spire Hollin
Heywood Thomas, The Moorlands, Sheffield road
Hill-Wood Major Sir Samuel bart. M.P., D.L., J.P. Moorfield ; & 11 Great Stanhope street W1; Carlton & Bachelors’ clubs, London
Hilton Wilfred, Wren nest, Sunlaws street
Hodgett Hy. Oswald, Redcot, Spire Hollin
Holdgate Hy. M. The Tower, North road
Hopwood Mrs. Essenden, Sheffield road
Houseman Walter, Danemore, North rd
Hudson Mrs. Trevethyn, Spire Hollin
Hughes W. Gray M.B., Ch.B.Edin. Cowbrook house, Sheffield road
Hunter Harold W. Ain Garth, Dinting rd
Hunter Leonard Garfield, The Poplars, Talbot road
Hunter Thomas Pearson J.P. Woodside, Sheffield road
Hyde John T. Heatherlea, Dinting road
Ireland Percy E. Slatelands house, Slatelands road
Jackson Frank, High lawn, Hobroyd
Jackson Herbert, Cowbrook, Sheffield rd
Jackson James Martin, Holly mount, Ellison street
Jackson Josiah, Primrose house, Primrose lane
Jackson Samuel, 25 Simmondley lane
Ketels Rev. Joseph (Roman Catholic), Royle house, Church street
Knowles Charles E., J.P. Parkfield, North road
Lake Rev. William Henry Oliver (Wesleyan), The Manse, Talbot road
Lancaster Rev. John T. (Primitive Methodist), Temple mount, Shrewsbury street
Lea Rev. Leo (Roman Cath.), Sumner st
Lea George Harry, 74 Sheffield road
Lee Mrs. Clifton villas, Fauvel road
Leech Alfred J.P. Cowbrook cottage, Sheffield road
McKeown Felix Quinn M.C., M.B., Ch.B.L’pool, 25 Victoria street
McKinlay Finlay, Weston, Spire Hollin
McShannon John J., M.B.Belf. Loch Maree, North road
Malloch Peter Edwd. 84 St. Mary’s rd
Milligan Ernest Henry Marcus M.D.Belf. 27 Norfolk street
Mitchell Julien, Primrose lane
Mitchell W. Arthur, Milford house, North road
Moran Arthur Edward John, 116 Charlestown road
Morris Maj. Frederick H., M.B.E. 8 Hague street, Whitfield
Morrison Rev. Charles Henry William, (curate of St. James’, Whitfield), Surrey street
Moseley Ben, Wrenfield, Spire Hollin
Nelson Robert M.D.Irel. 28 Norfolk st
Nicoll-Griffith Rev. Hubert Victor M.A. (vicar of St. James’), The Vicarage, Whitfield
Nield J. C. Oakfield, North road
Nockolds Stephen M.A., M.B. B.Ch., 93 High street west
Nuttall John, Greystoke, Dinting road
Ollerenshaw Miss, Clare ho. Talbot St
Ollerenshaw Robt. Percival, 40 Talbot st
Ollerhead Edgar, 46 Sheffield road
Partington Mrs. M.B.E., J.P. Talbot house, Talbot road
Ratcliffe Samuel, North road
Robinson Rev. John Henry (Congregational) 2 Gladstone street
Robinson Wm. D. Thorncliffe, Sheffield rd
Rowbottom Mrs. 5 Shepley street
Sargentson James, Holly bank, Talbot rd
Sargentson Percy J.P. Beechwood, North road
Shepley Mrs. A. M. Highfield house, Talbot road
Sherlock Arthur, Bank house, Norfolk st
Smith Charles Crosland, The Coombs, Dinting road
Smith James W. 53 Norfolk street
Smith Tom, Ingle nook, Dinting road
Stapley Henry Denholm, Sheffield road
Swaine Geo. Raymond, Kingsmoor school
Thorp Albert Ernest, The Cedars, Sheffield road
Thorpe Harold, Woodleigh, North road
Townend Walter, Rosstherne, Sheffield rd
Walkden Joseph, Clavadel, Spire Hollin
Walton Matthew, Oakdene, Sheffield rd
Ward A. M. 120 Charlestown road
Waterhouse Charles, Bedford house, Surrey street
Werschy Mrs. Arundel villas, North road
Whittingham Thomas Reginald, Riverslea, North road
Wilkie William R. Clifton villas, Fauvel rd
Wilson Robert, The Firs, Talbot road
Winder Very Rev. Canon W. R. (Roman Catholic), Sumner street
Wood Sir John bart. D.L., J.P. Whitfield house
Wood Mrs. John, Lonsdale, Spire Hollin
Woodford Rev. H. G., B.A. (Unitarian), Park croft, Dinting road
Woodward Cecil Rogers, The Cot, Dinting road
Wragg Mrs, Ashfield, Sheffield road

COMMERCIAL.
Early closing day, Tuesday.
Aiken Hy. fancy repository, 86 High st. west
Ainsworth Fred, boot repairer, Gladstone street
Alexander Richard, beer retailer, 24 Arundel street
Allan Edward James L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S.Glas. physician & surgeon, & medical officer to the Post Office, Beech-Lea, North road & 18 High street east. T N 98
Allott Matthew, farmer, Moorfield
Allum Jas. T. farmer, Hague st
Ancient Order of Foresters (Court Mersey, lodge No. 2493, Edwd. Gorman, sec.; Court Pride of the Valley, lodge No. 2403, Jn. Gradwell, sec.), 1 Surrey st
Andrew Edwd. confctnr. 6 High st. west
Anglo-American Oil Co. Limited, oil mers. Railway yard
Appleton Harold, finance clerk to the Education Committee, Education offices, Municipal bldgs
Argenta Meat Co. Ltd. butchers, 5 Victoria st
Arlis Saml. customs & excise & old age pension officer, Henry st
Arnfield Herbert, Manor inn, 77 High street east
Arrowsmith Thomas, clog & patten ma. 132 High st. west
Ashton Fredk. Denby, chartrd. accntnt. (firm, Hollingbery & Ashton), 6 Howard st. T N 167
Ashton George William, shopkeeper, 8 Gladstone street
Ashton Roscoe S. mngr. Lloyds Bank Ltd. Norfolk chmbrs. Henry st. T N 220
Ayrton Richard, shopkeeper, 14 George street
Bagshaw A. & Son, cabnt. mkrs. 26 & 28 High st. west. T N 194
Ballington Saml. Wm. butcher, 143 Gladstone st. T N 14
Barber Edwin O. Station hotel, 32 Norfolk st. T N 140
Barber John, coal dealer, 39 Gladstone street
Barclays Bank Ltd. (branch) (Cecil Rogers Woodward, mngr.), 1 High st. east (T N 139); head office, 54 Lombard st. London E C 3
Barker Jsph. farmer, Hobroyd
Barlow Herbert, tobacconist, 2 Charlestown road
Bartholomew Rt. fried fish shop, 16 Norfolk st
Bates W. H. & Son, boot reprs. 110 Victoria st
Battey Ernest, photographer, 8 Norfolk street
Bayley Edwin, costumier, 51 & 53 High st. west. T N 171
Beard Geo. Ernest, shopkpr. 89 Gladstone st
Beard Jas. Hy. shopkpr. 26 Gladstone st
Beaumont Annie (Mrs.), shopkpr. 30 Queen st
Bennett Fred, farmer, Pikes farm
Bennett George, news agent, 199 High street east
Bennett James, photographer, 14a, High street east
Bennett Leah (Miss), art needlework repository, 14 High street east
Bennett Martha Ellen (Miss), beer retailer, 96 Victoria street
Bennett Robert, butcher, 84 Victoria street
Bentley Edwd. pork butcher, 52 Church st
Berry Mary, Hannah & Bessie (Misses), shopkeepers, 76 High street east ..
Biddle Wm. draper, 62 High st. east
Blakeley Emily (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 57 Whitfield cross
Boardman Frank, blacksmith, Manor st
Boardman Harriett (Miss), confectioner, 2 Jordan street
Boardman Walt. Hyde, motor engnr. 80 High st. east
Bolton Wm. caterer, 5 High st. east
Boon Walt. beer retlr. 1 Whitfield cross
Booth? Jas. fried fish shop, 29 Hague st (? as original entry badly printed)
Boots Cash Chemists (Lancashire) Ltd. 19 High street west
Borough of Glossop Education Office (Geo. H. Lea, sec.; H. Appleton, finance clerk), Municipal bldgs. T N 58
Bowden? L. & S. taxi proprs. 20 Manor Park rd. T N 18 (? as original entry badly printed)
Bowden Geo. confctnr. 54 High st. west
Bowden Jn. Thos. confctnr. 12 Norfolk st
Bowden Saml. T. farmer, Heath
Bowers? Doris (Mrs.) ladies’ hairdrssr. 18 Norfolk st (? as original entry badly printed)
Bowers Henry, house painter, 65 Victoria st
Bradbury Albert, farmer, Whitfield green
Bradbury Thos. grocer, 385 High st. west
Bradbury William, hair dresser, The Arcade
Braddock Eli & Son, shipping agents, 55 High street east
Bradley Arth. grocer, 28 Freetown
Bradley Austin Watkins, fishmngr. 10 High st. east. T N 192
Bradley Frank, beer retlr. 1 & 3 Bernard st
Bradley Ralph, beer retailer, 11 Chapel street
Bramhall Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr. 6 Hague st
Bratby Gertrude (Miss), boot & shoe dlr. 10 Gladstone street
Bridge Matthew, greengrocer, 2 Wesley street
Bridge Jas. Alston, assistant rating & valuation officer & collector of general district rate No. 2 district. Municipal buildings
Briggs Royce, Howard Arms P.H. 17 High st. east
Brightmore Eva (Mrs.), midwife, 151 High st. east
Brindle Tom J. Market hotel, 8 Market st
Broadbent Ellis, beer retailer, 277 High street west
Broadbent Stanley, fried fish shop, 363 High st. west
Brooks Jn. Woodhead, Crown hotel, 142 Victoria st. T N 41
Brooks Walter, beer retailer, 14 Milltown
Brown Geo. dentist, 11 Norfolk sq. T N 244
Brownson George Ltd. tailors, 2 & 4 High st. east & Victoria st
Buckley James Henry, pawnbroker, 38 High street east
Buckley Jsph. tailor, 55 Hollincross la
Bunting Jn. shopkpr. Silk st
Burford Harry, fried fish shop, 60 Victoria st
Byrom Allen, market inspector, Town hall
Byrom James, water inspector, 17 Thomas street
Byrom Jsph. confctnr. 53 High st. east
Carnall Wm. statnr. 113, & provision dlr. 118, Victoria st
Carver Percy, fried fish shop, 62 Edward st
Casey Geo. Wm. shopkpr. 44 St. Mary’s rd
Cash & Co. (W. & E. Turner Ltd.), boot & shoe mkrs. 1 Victoria st
Cemetery (Hadfield) (George Henry Wilson, clerk); offices, Norfolk square
Chadwick Herbert, house furnisher, 91 High street west
Chadwick Jn. C. clothier, 41 & 43 High st. west & 2 Cross st
Chadwick Rd. shopkpr/see Jones & Chadwick
Chapman Brothers, hairdressers, 14 Norfolk street
Chapman Jn. Wm. baker, 27 Sheffield rd
Charlesworth & Woodall (Mesdames), preparatory school, 4 Ellison street
Charlesworth Frederick, butcher, 244 High street west
Charlesworth George, butcher, 36 High street west
Cheetham H. & Co. mineral water mfrs. Shrewsbury st
Child Welfare Centre (E. H. Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dubl. medical supt.), Municipal bldgs
Child Thomas (Mrs.), furniture dealer, 100 High street west
Cluskey George, furniture dealer, 61 High street west
Collier Edwin, auctnr. & valuer & certified bailiff under the Law of Distress Amendment Act, Norfolk sq
Collier Joe Hill, beer retailer, 19 Charlestown road
Conner Irvine, shopkpr. 271 High st. west
Conservative & Unionist Association (High Peak division) Geo. Sisam, acting agt.), 22 Norfolk st. T N 65
Cooper Jas. farmer, Lane Side farm
Cooper Jn. Fras. tailor. 71 High st. west
Cooper John Reginald, butcher, 66 High street west
Cooper Stanley, grocer, 198 High st. west. T N 204
County Court Office (His Honor Wm. Jn. Lias, judge ; P. E. Ireland, registrar & high bailiff), 6 Market st
Crabtree Emily (Mrs.), fried fish dealer, 26 Arundel street
Cranshaw Oswald, metal brkr. 8 Cooper st. & Primrose la
Crompton Joseph, beer retailer, 78 High street west
Crossland Walter W. & Sons, cotton waste dealers, 3 & 3a, Arundel street & 45 Edward street. T N 30
Crossley Harry, shopkpr. 9 Victoria st
Crowther Jas. teacher of music, 40 Hollincross la
Cuffe Fras. fried fish dlr. 170 High st. west
Cumberland Ernest E. Grapes inn, 305 High st. west
Customs & Excise & Old Age Pensions Office (Saml. Arlis, officer), Henry st
Cuthbert John H. estate agent, 77 Primrose terrace
Cuthbert Mary E. (Mrs.), tobacconist, 80 High street west
Dale Frederick, farmer, Cowbrook, Sheffield road
Dale George, news agent, 90 Victoria street
Dale Rd. shopkpr. 106 Pike's la
Dale Samson, tripe dresser, 166 High st. west
Dane Harry, sanitary & meat inspector, & inspector under the Food Drugs Acts & Dairies & Cowsheds Orders to the corporation, Municipal bldgs. T N 118
Darlington Jn. W. assessor & collector of taxes, Norfolk sq
Davis Chas. Son, solctrs. 10 Ellison st. T N 37
Davis Chas. Jas. solctr. & commissioner for oaths (firm, Davis Chas. & Son), 10 Ellison st. T N 37
Deakin Andrew, creamery, 4 High st. west. T N 198
Dearnaley Joseph, grocer, 25 High street west. T N 69
Dearnley Irvine, painter, 49 High st. west. T N 124
Dempsey Thomas, hair dresser, 242 High street west
Derbyshire County Council Tuberculosis Dispensary (for medical officer, see Official section), Surrey st
Derbyshire Alfd. Edwd. house decrtr. 45 Norfolk st. & Surrey st
Dewsnap Walter, painter. 90 Edward street
Dickson Fred, grocer, 16 Princess street
Dinting Church Club (Thomas Richardson, sec.), High St. west
District Bank Ltd. (branch) (Arth. Sherlock, mngr.), Norfolk sq. (T N 131); London office, 75 Cornhill E C 3
Dixon Sydney, confctnr. 110 High st. west
Dixon Walt, assistant rating & valuation officer & collector of general district rate No. 2 district, Municipal bldgs
Douglas Chas. motor car garage, see Gadd & Douglas
Doulton Albt. travelling draper, 36 Charlestown
Dryland Nellie (Mrs.), fried fish dealer, 9 Princess street
Dutton Jane (Mrs.), hardware dealer, 88 High street west
Dyson Jsph. B. boot & shoe repr. 149a, High st. west
Ellis Geo. M.R.C.V.S.Edin. veterinary surgn. & veterinary inspector under the “Diseases of Animals Acts” for the borough & country, 11 Fauvel rd. T N 112
Ellison Theo Walt, solctr. & commissioner for oaths, Easton, High st. east. T N 107
Empire (P. C. T.'s Ltd. proprs.), 60 High st. west. T N 114
Entwistle Nellie (Mrs.), fancy draper, 18 High street west
Etchells Alice (Mrs.), tobacconist, 20 Norfolk street
Fairclough Waiter Peake Mus.Bac., F.R.C.O. professor of music, 92 St. Mary’s road
Farnsworth & Sons, fruitrs. 112 & 114 High st. west. T N 42
Fenton Charles Frederick Vinten, clerk to Glossop Dale Rural District Council & clerk to the guardians & registrar of births, deaths & marriages for Glossop sub-district, 14 & 16 Ellison street. T N 74
Fielding Enoch & Son, watch & clock mkrs. 39 High st. west. T N 243
Fielding Albert (Mrs.), baker, 40 High street east
Fielding Edith (Mrs.), draper. 116 Victoria street
Fielding Frank, statnr. 29 Manor Park rd
Fielding George R. Royal Oak P.H. Sheffield road
Fielding Harold, house furnisher, 114 Victoria street
Fielding Walt, shopkpr. 120 Pike’s la
Firth Harold D., L.D.S.Manc. dental surgeon. 77 Norfolk street. T N 89
Fisher Charles E & Son, joiners, Ellison street
Fletcher Fredk. optician, 99a, High st. west
Fletcher George, shopkeeper, 9 Charlestown
Fletcher Geo. J. beer retlr. 5 Arundel st
Fletcher Jsph. shopkpr. 49 King st
Fletcher Sami, borough treas. & chief rating & valuation officer, Municipal bldgs. T N 150
Fletcher Wm. T. & Son, tripe dressers, 4 Charlestown rd. T N 141
Foy Ann Jane (Mrs.), fishmngr. 76 High st. west
Free Library & Public hall (Edward Thompson, librarian), Fauvel road
Freeman, Hardy & Willis Ltd. boot makers, 27 High st west
French Thos. plumber, 72 High st. east
Fuller Edward, saddler & harness maker, 8 Norfolk square
Fuller Nellie (Miss), milliner, 90 High st. west
Furniss Evelyne (Mrs.), corsetière, Aberdeen ho. Surrey st
Gadd Geo. Fredk. & Douglas Chas. motor car garage, Turnlee rd. T N 2.14
Garlick Matthew & Albert, coal merchants, Railway yard
Garlick Eliz. (Mrs.), shopkpr. 17 Surrey st
Garside Joseph, farmer, Lees Hall farm
Gas Co. (Benjamin Goddard, manager; Walter Townend, sec.), Arundel street (T N 85); show rooms, 84 High street west
Gibbons Harry, boot maker, 16a High street east
Glossop Advertiser (Glossop Printers Ltd. proprs. & publishers ; published friday), 6 Howard st. T N 67
Glossop Carriage Co. Ltd. (The) (J. R. Nield, sec.), funeral furnishers, coach & motor proprietors, 16 Howard street. T N 59
Glossop Carters’ & Motormen’s Social Club (H. Bridge, sec.), 13 Bernard st
Glossop Conservative Club (Saml. Beeley, sec.), 22 Norfolk st. T N 213
Glossop Cricket Club (T. Jacobs, sec.), 21 Norfolk st
Glossop Dale Chronicle (Glossop Printers Ltd. proprs. & publishers; published friday), 6 Howard st. T N 67
Glossop Dale New Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd. (J. T. Hyde, sec.), Norfolk sq. (T N 15); 14. 46 & 48 & 369 High st. west; 20 Charlestown rd.; Manor Park rd.; Pike’s la.; Church st. south; 106 Gladstone st. & 47 Surrey st. ; registered office, 2 Railway st
Glossop Football Club (Arth. Clarke, sec.), North Rd
Glossop Glove Co. Ltd. glove mfrs. George st. T N 105
Glossop Golf Club (Edwd. Horsfall, sec)
Glossop Grammar School (Chas. H. Chambers B.Sc.Eng. head master), Talbot st. T N 245
Glossop, Hadfield & District Allotments Association Limited (John H. Cuthbert, sec.), 77 Primrose terrace
Glossop Iron Works Co. Ltd. (The), Surrey st. T N 11
Glossop Labour Club (Joe Austin, sec.), 7 & 9 Railway st
Glossop Liberal Club (John H. Cuthbert, sec.), Henry street. T N 66
Glossop Modern Dairies (Ernest Wilson, proprietor), Market street. T N 143
Glossop Motor Co. Ltd. motor engineers, Arundel st. T N 48
Glossop Palace (Provincial Cinematograph Theatres Limited, proprietors), George street T N 114
Glossop Perpetual Building Society (The) (A. Goldthorpe, sec.), 12 Ellison street
Glossop Printers Limited (J. W. T. Worthington, sec.), printers, 6 Howard street. T N 67
Glossop Social Club Limited (W. Bramall, sec.), 4& 6 Ellison street
Glossop Women’s Unionist Association (Geo. Sisam, sec.) 22 Norfolk st
Goddard S. & Sons, bldrs. Ashes. T N 181
Goddard Harry, draper, 42 High street west
Goddard John T. auctioneer & certified bailiff under the “Law of Distress Amendment Act,” 12 Howard street
Goldthorpe Saml. grocer, 33 Charles st
Goodwin Evelyn, baker, 112 High st. east
Green Edwin H. newsagt. 240 High st. west
Green Frank, confectioner, 36 Hadfield street
Greensmith Sarah (Mi’s.), shopkpr. 92 Pike’s la
Greensmith Wm. boot repr. 33 Princess st
Greenwood Jn. & Son, stone mers. Howard st. (T N 125) & quarry owners, Lees Hall, Shirehall & Mouslow quarries
Greenwood Hy. accntnt. 15 Norfolk st. T N 178
Gregory Samuel H. farmer, Jumble farm
Grosvenor Nellie (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 8 Collier street
Hadfield J. & Sons, wood bedstead mkrs. Derby st. T A “Hadfield, Glossop 86;” T N 86 Hadfield Thos. & Son, drapers, 15 High st. west. T N 167
Hadfield Cycle Co. cycle agts. & dlrs. 82 High st. west
Hadfield Dairy Co. Ltd. provsn. dlrs. 45 High st. west. T N 197
Hadfield Albt. farmer, 2 Cliffe rd
Hadfield Alice (Miss), shopkeeper, 61 Hague street, Whitfield
Hadfield Chas. Bee Hive inn, 36 Hague st
Hadfield James Hyde, Surrey Arms P.H. 133 Victoria street
Hadfield John, beer retailer, 1 Market street & confectioner, 23 High street west
Hadfield John, boot maker, 97 High street east
Hadfield Jsph. grocer, 60 High st. east
Hadneld Jsph. M.B. & C.M.Aberd. physcn. & surgn. & medical officer No. 1 district, Glossop union & medical officer Union infirmary, Glossop, Hollincross ho. Hollincross la. T N 79
Hadfield Mary Ann (Mrs.), herbalist, 14 Charlestown road
Hadfield Wm. Bruce, solctr. & commissioner for oaths (firm, Ireland (Percy E.) & Hadfield), & supt. registrar of births, deaths & marriages for district of Glossop, 6 Market st. T N 81
Hadwin Harry, bleachers’ engineer, Howard street
Haigh & Shortland, motor car proprs. 33 King st. & Union st. T N 112
Haigh James William, costumier, 30 High street west
Haigh Thos. farmer, 60 Hague st
Halifax Permanent Building Society; branch office, Norfolk sq
Hall Alice (Miss) & Wharmby Walter, bakers, 28 Gladstone st
Hall & Sons, tailors, 21 High street west
Hall Eliz. (Miss), boot mkr. 201 High st. east
Hall Elizabeth (Mrs.), grocer, 146 St. Mary’s road
Hall John, herbalist, 138 Victoria street
Hall Margt. Ann (Mrs.), fried fish shop, 119 High st. west
Hallam Frank, dairyman, 1 Charlestown road
Hampson Jn. & Son, furniture removers, Hague st. Whitfield & Surrey st
Hampson Edith (Miss), dress maker, see Kinder, Storey & Hampson Misses
Harding Eliza (Mrs.), milliner, 4 Norfolk street
Harris & Taylor, ironfndrs. Howard st
Harris James, tinplate worker, Oldham street
Harris Mary Jane (Mrs.), shopkpr. 5 Milltown
Harrison Abel Limited, coal merchants, Surrey street (T N 47): & at Broadbottom ; Dinting & Hadfield railway stations.
Harrison Chas. Smith, grocer, 122 High st. west. T N 202
Harrison Jas. deputy supt. registrar of births, deaths marriages, 6 Market st
Harrod Geo. fried fish shop, 106 Victoria st
Harrop Hugh, tailor, 21 Surrey street
Harrop Jas. Easton, farmer, Hill Top farm
Hawley Harold, stationer, 1 High street west
Hayes Gordon, confctnr. 28 Talbot st
Hazlewood Frank, hair dresser, 10 High street west
Heap Thornton, statnr. 81 High st. west
Heap Wm. motor engnr. see Newton & Heap
Heathcote Sarah Ann (Mrs.), ladies’ hairdrssr. 99 High st. we
Hesketh R, & Sons, coal dlrs. 61 Charlestown rd
Heslip Jn. C. boot & shoe dlr. 121 High st. west
Higginbottom J. S. milliner, 17 High st. west
Higginbottom Tom, farmer, Betten hill
Higginbottom Tom, hair dresser. 85 Victoria street
High Peak Advertiser (Glossop Printers Ltd. proprs. & publishers ; published friday), 6 Howard st. T N 67
High Peak Chronicle (Glossop Printers Ltd. proprs. & publishers; published friday), 6 Howard st. T N 67
High Peak Division Liberal Association (Irvine Lister, sec. & agt.), 38 Norfolk st. T N 129
High Peak Land & Building Co. Limited (E. Farrington, sec.), 38 Norfolk street
Hill Frank, fried fish shop, 140 Victoria st
Hill Lila (Mrs.), news agt. 24 High st. east
Hill Rachel. (Mrs.), shop keener. 72 High street west
Hinchcliffe Ethel (Mrs.), ladies’ hairdrssr. 7 George st
Holdgate Jas. Brownhill, painter, glazier &c. 149 High st. we
Holdgate Robert, grocer, 11 High street east
Hollingbery & Ashton, chartrd. accntnts. 6 Howard st. T N 167
Holmes Jsph. baker, 20 High st. east
Holt W. (Burnley) Ltd. billiard rooms, 119 High street east
Horsfall & Swire, solctrs. 13 Railway st
Horsfall Edwd. solctr. & commissioner for oaths (firm, Horsfall & Swire), 13 Railway st
Howard William & Son, builders, contractors & undertakers; stone, timber & builders’ merchants & joinery manufacturers, 27 Hadfield street. T N 168
Howarth Edmund, house furnisher, 338 High street west
Hughes W. Gray M.B., Ch.B.Edin. physcn. & surgn (firm, Nockolds & Hughes), Cowbrook ho. Sheffield rd. T N 111
Hunter Thos. Pearson, hosier, 9 & 11 High st. west. T N 174
Hunters The Teamen Ltd. grocers, 38 & 40 High st. west
Hurst Walter, tailor, 9 High street east
Hyde Joe, fried fish shop, 137 Gladstone st
Hyde Walter, hatter, 32 High street west
Ingham James W. picture frame maker, 63 High street east
Inglis Harold, shopkpr. 1 Princess st.
Ireland (Percy E.) & Hadfield, solctrs. & commissioners to administer oaths, 6 Market st. T N 81
Ireland Percy E. solctr. & commissioner to administer oaths (firm, Ireland (Percy E.) & Hadfield), registrar & high bailiff to Glossop county court & clerk to the county & borough magistrates, 6 Market st. T N 88
Irlam Chas. H. Star inn, 3 Norfolk st
Jackson Isaac & Sons Limited, belt fastener manufacturers, Hawkshead mills. T A "Fastener, Glossop;” Tel. Nos. 91 & 92
Jackson Levi & Sons Ltd. rope & twine mfrs. Hobroyd. T N 68
James Levi Robinson, relieving & vaccination officer, deputy registrar of births, deaths & marriages & collector to guardians, 14 & 16 Ellison st. T N 74
Jepson Herbt. hairdrssr. 12 Charlestown rd
Johnson Rhoda (Mrs.), corsetière, 75 St. Mary’s rd
Jones & Chadwick, shopkeepers, 35 Princess street
Jones W. & Son, coal mers. Surrey st
Keevney Ellen (Miss), shopkeeper, 20 Church street
Kennedy Margaret (Miss), shopkeeper, 225 High street west
Kennington & Son, tobacconists, Town Hall buildings, High street west
Kent Geo. Wm. fried fish shop, 36 High st. east
Kershaw James, clogger, 70a, Charlestown road
Kinder, Storey & Hampson (Misses), dressmkrs. 79 High st. west
Kingsmoor School (Geo. Raymond Swaine, headmaster), girls’ & boys’ boarding school. T N 217 V M
Kirk William, hardware dealer, 165 High street east
Kitchin Cora Elsie (Mrs.), haberdasher, 51a, High st east
Knight Thomas, shopkeeper, 42 Arundel street
Knott Jn. boot mkr. 64 Victoria st
Knott Walt, hardware dlr. 108 Victoria st
Lamb & Bridge, shopkeepers, 2 Whitfield cross
Langford Wm. Hy. baker, 85 High st. east
Large Samuel J. milliner, 8 High street east
Lea Geo. H. town clerk, sec. of education committee & clerk to the local pension committee, Municipal bldgs, T N 58
Leach Jn. Arth. baker, 21 Freetown
Leatherbarrow James, herbalist, 136 High street west
Lee Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 1 Edward street
Lees C. & C. & F. confctnrs. 104 High st. west
Leonard Fredk. Norman, fruitr. 26 High st. east. T N 23
Lester Jas. greengro. 74 High st. west. T N 169
Lester Joe. fruitr. 140 High st. west
Lister Irvine, sec. & agt. for the High Peak Divisional Liberal Association, 38 Norfolk st
Littler’s Dairy, 102a Victoria st
Lloyds Bank Ltd. (R. S. Ashton, mngr.), Norfolk chmbrs. Henry st. (T N 220); head office, 42 & 44 Gracechurch st. London E G 3
Locking Isaac W. Rose & Crown P.H. 89 High st. west
Logan Peter, boot repairer, 12 Wellgate
Longden Ernest, fried fish shop, 63 High st. west
Lord Jn. Herbt. baker, 16 High st. west
Lyne Jas. Hy. newsagt, 26 Princess st
McKeown Felix Quinn M.C., M.B., Ch.B.L’pool, physcn. & surgn. 25 Victoria st. TN 82
McKinlay Finlay M.P.S. chemist, 7 High st. west. T N 44
McShannon Jn. J., M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O., D.P.H.Belf. physcn. & surgn. Loch Maree, North rd. T N 75
Mallard Jn. cycle repr. 37 Edward st
Malloch Peter Edwin L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S.Glas. physcn. surgn. 84 St. Mary’s rd. & 14 High st. west. T N 46
Manchester County Bank Ltd. (branch) (W. D. Robinson, mngr.), Norfolk sq. (T N 135); London agts. National Provincial Bank Ltd. 2 Princes st. London E C 2
Manns Mary Jane (Mrs.), shopkpr. 104 Pike’s la
Marsh William Hill, haberdasher, 273 High street west
Marshall Sarah (Mrs.), draper, 94 High street west
Martin Ernest, fancy draper, Victoria st
Martin John Thomas, optician, 73 High street west
Mason E. Miss), teacher of pianoforte, 17 Shrewsbury st.
Masonic Lodge (Devonshire lodge, No. 625) (Percy E. Ireland. sec.) ; Norfolk sq
Massey D. & Son, ironmngrs. 22 High st. east
Maternity & Child Welfare Centre (Ernest Hy. Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dublin, medical officer), Municipal bldgs. T N 118
May Thomas & Sons, basket & skip makers, 53 Victoria street
Maypole Dairy Co. Limited, dairymen, Town Hall buildings, High street west
Melia’s Limited, grocers, 24 High street west
Mellor Charles, beer retailer, 40 Pike’s lane
Metcalfe Jn. parks supt. North rd
Middleton Brothers, builders, Victoria street. T N 78
Middleton I. & Son, bakers, 8 Manor Park rd
Middleton Thos. boot repr. 252 High st. west
Milligan Ernest Hy. Marcus M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dublin, medical officer of health to Borough & Rural District Council, medical supt. of Maternity & Child Welfare Centre & to the Isolation Hospital & school medical officer, Municipal bldgs. T N 118
Ministry of Labour Employment Exchange (Egerton Doodson. manager), Victoria street. T N 83
Mitchell Julien, dentist, 28 Primrose la
Mitchell Wm. Arnold A.M.I.M. & Cy.E. borough surveyor & water works mngr. Municipal bldgs. T N 150
Moore Henry, boot repairer. 11 Victoria street
Moorhouse Percy, farmer, Ashes & Heath farms
Morley Alice (Mrs.), Globe hotel, 144 High st. west
Morton's, confctnrs. Victoria st
Moscrop Noah, jeweller, 47 High st. west .
Moss Wm. insur. agt. 43 Surrey st
Mottram Sarah (Mrs.), midwife. 16 Talbot st
Mullin & Smith, grindery dealers, 92 High street west
Needham Walter, shopkeeper, 29 Gladstone street
Nelson Robert M.D., M.Ch., M.A.O.Irel. physician & surgeon, 27 Norfolk street. T N 241
Newbold Harold, china & glass dlr. 21 High st. east
Newton & Heap, motor engnrs. 25 High st. east. T N 180
Newton Wm. & Co. corn mers. Surrey st. T N 170
Nield J. J. &: Son, ironmngrs. 125 High st. west & blacksmiths. Brook st
Nield Jas. Bridge inn, 12 Market st
Nockolds & Hughes, physcns. & surgns. 93 High st. west (T N 94) & Cowbrook ho. Sheffield rd. T N 111
Nockolds Stephen M.A., M.B., B.Ch.Oxford, physcn. & surgn. (firm, Nockolds & Hughes), & public vaccinator to the Glossop Union, 93 High st. west. T N 94
Norbury John Harry, Wheat Sheaf inn, 16 Wellgate
Norfolk Arms Hotel (Jn. J. Pickford), Norfolk sq. T N 106
NORFOLK LAUNDRY (THE) (Waterhouse & Higginbottom, proprietors), Ellison street. T N 17
North Western Car Co. Ltd. motor bus proprs. 7 High st. east. T N 196
Northern Counties Estates Ltd. (H. Sykes, sec.), 65 High st. west. T N 133
Northern (The) Firelighter Co. Limited, “briquette firelighter manufacturers & merchants. Whitfield cross
Northern Renovators Ltd. dyers & cleaners, 31 & 33 High st. west. T N 246
Old Glossop Cricket Club (Jas. Winterbottom, sec.), 267 High st. west
Oldfield Harry, sheet metal worker, 12 George st
Oldfield Harvey, Surrey Arms P.H. 67 High st. west. T N 191
Oldham Street Working Men’s Club (John Hadfield, sec.), Oldham street
Oldham Edwin, outfitter, 71a, High st. west
Oldham Fredk. house decrtr. Brook st
Oldham Jas. shopkpr. 72 Victoria st
Olive & Partington Limited, paper makers, Turn Lee & Dover mills. T A’s “Pino, Glossop” & “Chromo, Glossop;” T Nos. 101 & 102
Oliver W. & Sons, ironmngrs. 85 & 87 High st. west. T N 90
O’Neill Thomas, hardware & wireless dealer, 62a, Victoria st
Orme William, plumber, 105 St. Mary’s road
Overand Thomas, confectioner, 56 High street west
Page Gladys (Miss), ladies’ hairdrssr. 6 Norfolk st
Page Solomon, hair dresser, 6 Norfolk street
Partington Convalescent Home (Miss N. Beardwell, matron), North rd. T N 53
Pattison Ann (Mrs.), shopkpr. 20 Wellgate
Pearson Albert, Albion hotel P.H. 15 Victoria street
Peck Geo. Wm. fruitr. 123 High st. east
Pell William, boot maker, 52 High street west
Penny L. P. & Co. wireless dlrs. 62 Victoria st
Piper’s Penny Bazaar, 34 High street west
Platt Fred & Son, bakers, Shrewsbury st
Platt Geo. Queen’s Arms P.H. 1 Shepley st. T N 149
Platt James, coal merchant, 11 Railway street. T N 128
Platt Jsph. (Mrs.), boarding ho. Lees hail
Platt Mary D. (Mrs.), confectioner, 3 High street west
Podmore Thomas Leonard, confectioner, 23 High street east
Pogson E. (Mrs.), milliner, 50 High st. west
Porter Alice (Miss), confectioner, 5 George street
Potts Gertrude (Miss), confectioner, 218 High street west
Potts Wm. stamp distributor, Post office, Victoria st
Powell Frederick, tobacconist, 98 High street west
Pownall’s, boot reprs. 36 & 38 Victoria st
Presentation Convent (Sister Angela, superior), Church street
Price Danl. baker, 136 Victoria st
Price James William, shopkeeper, 17 Freetown
Prince Alice & Annie (Misses), confctnrs. 70 Charlestown rd
Proctor Olive (Mrs.), shopkpr. 76 Charlestown rd
Public Baths (Silvester Whitehead, manager), Howard park
Public Weighbridge (Arth. F. Smith, weigher), Railway yard
Ralph Sam, draper, 16 High St. east
Read Jane (Miss), shopkeeper, 31 Chapel street
Redfern Ann (Miss), china dealer, 75 High street west
Refuge Assurance Co. Limited; district office (Charles Astin, superintendent), Norfolk square
Rideal Ltd. chemists, 102 High st. west. T N 97
Riley Jn. newsagt. 130 High st. west
Riley Stephen, beer retlr. 101 High st. east
Riley William, greengrocer, 70 Freetown
Robinson Wm. Duty, mngr. of the Manchester & County Bank Ltd. Norfolk sq. T N 135
Roe Arth. Hy. Bull’s Head P.H. 72 Church st
Roe Jas. Wm. butcher, Sheffield rd
Ross Geo. M. paperhanger, 60 Sunlaws st
Rowbottom James Ltd cotton spinners, Hurst mills. T N 8
Rowbottom S. & Co. Limited cotton spinners. Meadow mills. T N 7
Rowbottom Fras. Victor, greengro. 104 Victoria st
Rowbottom Jn. Ratcliffe, fried fish shop, 211 High st. east
Royal Liver Friendly Society; district office (James W. Smith, district manager), 11 Norfolk street
Royal London Mutual Insurance Society Ltd.; district office (Geo. Davies, supt.), 51 High st. east
Sanderson Agnes (Mrs.), fried fish dealer, 9 Chapel street
Sandham Louis, shopkpr. 6 Charlestown
Savage Saml. O. florist, 55 High st. west. T N 248
Scholes Geo. butcher, 117 High st. west. T N 208
Sellers Norman, motor engnr. Reliance garage, Turnlee rd
Senior James Henry, hair dresser, 70 High street west
Shaw Mary (Mrs.), fancy draper, 2 Victoria st
Shaw William, farmer, Whitfield barn
Shaw Winifred (Mrs.), ladies’ hairdrssr. 26 Howard st
Sheargolds Ltd. pianoforte wareho. 3 High st. east
Sheldon Robert, farmer, Brownhill farm
Sheldon Wm. shopkpr. 19 Gladstone st
Shephard Geo. G. shopkpr. Sheffield rd
Shepley Spinning Co. Ltd. Shepley mill, Chapel st. T A “Shepley mills;” T N 2
Sherlock Arth. mngr. of the District Bank Ltd. Norfolk sq
Sherry’s Dairy Co. Limited, dairymen, 35 High street west
Shorrock Isaac, confectioner, 142 High street west
Shortland Robert, motor car proprietor, see Haigh & Shortland
Shuttleworth Alice (Mrs.), fried fish shop, 79 High st. east
Siddall Thos. Pott, baker, 2 Shepley st
Sidebottom Albert, pianoforte warehouse, 22 High street we
Sidebottom Dennis, joiner, 1 Pike's la. Victoria st. T N 184
Sidebottom Eliza (Mrs.), shopkpr. 20 Derby st
Sidebottom Joseph Hadfield, school attendance officer, Education offices, Municipal buildings
Sidebottom Wm. Hy. gas company’s collector, 24 Turnlee rd
Singer Sewing Machine Co. Limited, sewing machine dealers, 29 High street west
Sisters of Charity of St. Paul Convent (Mother Cecilia, superior), Shaw st
Skelton James, marine store dealer, 123 Gladstone street
Slack Edwd. pork butcher, 20 High st. west
Slater Fredk. Commercial inn, Charlestown. T N 203
Slattery Esther (Miss), shopkeeper, 82 Gladstone street
Smethurst Hy. clog mkr. 18 Queen st
Smith J. W. & Co. estate agents, 11 Norfolk street
Smith Jas. & Sons (Cleaners) Ltd. 44 High st. west
Smith Mary (Mrs.), grindery dealer, see Mullin & Smith
Smith Wm. insur. agt. 28 Sunlaws st
Sparrow Alice Ann (Mrs.), beer retailer, 17 Gladstone street
Speed Geo. shopkpr. 45 Bernard st
Spencer Fred, hairdrssr. 13 Victoria st
Stagg & Son, who. wine & spirit mere. 10 Norfolk sq. T N 100
Stansfield Jessie (Miss), news agent, 123 High street west
Stanway Lily (Mrs.), shopkpr. 18 Whitfield cross
Stead Henry, confectioner, 58 High street west
Steels William Ernest, grocer, 5 High street west
Storah Frank, shopkpr. 6 Chapel st
Storey Edith (Miss), dress maker, see Kinder, Storey & Hampson (Misses)
Sumner Francis & Co. (1920) Limited, cotton spinners & manufrs. Wren Nest mills. T A “Remus, Glossop;” T N 10
Sutton Jn. shopkpr. 105 High st. east
Swann George, watch & clock maker, 238 High street west
Swann Jas. Edwd. farmer, 16 Hague st
Swire John & Son, boot & shoe makers, 8 High street west
Swire Henry, clog & patten maker, 21 Victoria street
Swire Herbt. Livingston, solctr. (firm, Horsfall & Swire), 11 Railway st
Swire John Oswald, butcher, 83 High street east
Sykes R. W. & Son, auctioneers, 65 High st. west. T N 133
Sykes Jane (Mrs.), confctnr. 142 St. Mary's rd
Symonds Jn. hairdrssr. 96 High st. west
Tanner Rebecca (Miss), milliner, 6 High street east
Taylor A. B. & Son, haulage contrctrs. Charlestown. T N 70
Taylor Bros, poultry farmers, Old Cross farm
Taylor Albert Buckley, beer retailer, Charlestown
Taylor Arth. ironfndr. see Harris & Taylor
Taylor Eliz. (Mrs.), shopkpr. 81 High st. east
Taylor Ernest Rt. L.D.S.Manc. dental surgn. 40 Norfolk st. T N 4
Taylor Geo. Wm. laundryman, see Thornley & Taylor
Taylor Robert, insurance agent, 39 Pike’s lane
Taylor Squire, dining rooms, 57 High street west
Taylor William, butcher, 74 Victoria street
Tero Geo. egg dlr. 57 High st. east
Thirsk Stanley, baker, 112 Victoria st
Thom Jas. & Son, coal mers. 33 Norfolk st. & Surrey st. T N 93
Thompson Arth. Barnard, baker, 213 High st. west
Thornhill Joseph, farmer, Blackshaw
Thomley & Taylor, laundrymen, 17 Hope st
Thorp Walter k Son, coal merchants, Henry street & Railway yard. T N 52
Thorpe Mary (Miss), confctnr. 12 High st. east
Tickle Wm. greengro. 377 High st. west
Tilburn J. & Son. metal brkrs. 11 St. Mary’s rd. & Howard’s pl. T N 132
Timperley Alfd. shopkpr. 76 Victoria st
Timperley Sarah (Miss), shopkpr. 38 Pike's la
Tongue Harry, jun. boot repr. 53 Gladstone st
Torkington Wm. fishmngr. 68 High st. west. T N 179
Town Hall (Allen Byrom, caretaker), High street west
Townend Albert, grocer., see Waterhouse & Townend
Tweedale Fredk. wireless dlr. Victoria st.
Tweedie Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper. 164 High street west
Urban Electric Supply Co. Limited (The), electrical engineers, High street west. T N 34
Wain & Son, fancy drapers, 59 High street west
Wain Edward Joseph, monumental mason, Simmondley la
Walker Jn. Edwd. fried fish shop, 1 Kershaw st
Walmsley Jas. shopkpr. 52 Hollincross la
Walton John (of Glossop) Limited, bleachers, Charlestown works. T N 116
Warner Leonard, Commercial inn, 137 Manor Park rd
Warren Herbt. farmer, Ashes
Warrington Walt, butcher, 19 High st east. T N 210
Water Works (Wm. Arnold Mitchell A.M.I.M. & Cy.E. mngr.), Municipal bldgs. T N 150
Waterhouse Fred & Co. motor engineers, 100 & 102 High street east T N 144
Waterhouse & Townend, grocers, 25 Norfolk street & 130 High street east
Webb Jsph. shopkpr. 131 Manor Park rd
Wharmby G. & Sons, oil & lamp dlrs. 127 Manor Park rd
Whitehead Chas. fishmngr. 24 Charlestown rd
Whitehead Reuben, shopkeeper, 41 Duke street
Whiteley Alice (Mrs.), draper, 197 High street east
Whitfield Church Institute (Herbt. Minshull, caretaker), 18 Chapel st
Whitfield Church House (J. H. Collier, hen. sec.), 18 Charlestown rd
Whitfield Free Library (branch library) (Jas. Watts, caretaker), Freetown
Whitfield Parish Hall (Arth. Metcalfe, sec.), Kershaw st
Whitfield Working Men’s Club (Jn. Welburn, sec.), 86. Wood st
Whittingham Thos. Regnld. solctr. Riverslea, North rd. T N 163
Wild Ralph & Sons, tripe dressers, 1 Collier st. & Victoria st
Wilkie William R. chief constable of borough police, inspector under Diseases of Animals Act, inspector of hackney carriages & supt. of fire brigade, Ellison street. T N 57
Willey Jn. W. C. & Son, cabnt. mkrs. 17 Norfolk st. & 12 George st
Williams Sydney, motor garage, 34 High st. east. T N 186
Wilson & Bates, aerated water mfrs. Howard st. T N 88
Wilson Robert Ltd. bakers, 174 High st. west. T N 20
Wilson George Henry, solicitor & commissioner for oaths, clerk to Hollingworth Urban District Council, clerk to the Glossop & Charlesworth Joint Burial Board & deputy coroner for the High Peak Hundred division of the county, Norfolk square. T N 43
Wilson Hartley, Junction inn, 379 High st. west
Winterbottom Alvin, watch repairer, 128 High street east
Winterbottom Ann Eliz. (Mrs.), chipped potato dlr. 185 High st. west
Winterbottom Jessie (Mrs.), confectioner 267 High st. west
Winterbottom Saml, fried fish shop, 131 High st. west
Winterbottom Thos. watch & clock repr. 137 High st. west
Wood Brothers (Glossop) Ltd. cotton spinners & mfrs. Howard Town mills. T N’s 22 & 39 Wood Jn. joiner, 28 Shrewsbury st. & Railway st
Wood Zaccheus, farmer, Gnat hole
Wood’s Hospital (Geo. H. Lea (town clerk), sec.; for list of medical staff, see Official section), Howard park. T N 36
Woodhead George, butcher, 141 Victoria street. T N 38
Woodhouse Abishai, butcher, 36 Church st. south. T N 134
Woodward Cecil Rogers, mngr. Barclays Bank Ltd. 1 High st. east
Woolley Robert, butcher, 77 High street west
Wright E. E. (Miss), shopkpr. 191 High st. west
Wrigley Mary H. (Mrs.), confectioner, 210 High street west
Wyman & Sons Ltd. news agts. Railway station, Norfolk st

BROOKFIELD.
Curtin Rev. Alfred James (Congregational), 10 Shepley street
Birkenhead Ralph, Royal Oak P.H
Brookfield Working Men’s Club (Edwd. Brooks, sec)
Darwent Lucy (Mrs.), draper
Gilson Geo. shopkpr
Humphries Jn. Edwd. motor engnr
Moss Arnold, shopkeeper
Robinson Wm. dairyman
Sellers Ada (Miss), fried fish shop

CHUNAL.
Green Thomas, farmer
Hallam Edgar, farmer
Pass Albert Edward, Grouse inn
Shepley William, farmer
Steers Jas. farmer

DINTING.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(For T N:s see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Birch Arthur Edwin, 101 Shaw lane
Cooper Cecil H. Dinting lodge
Fenton Charles F. V. Viaduct house
Fothergill James, 107 Shaw lane
Lawrence Rev. Henry M.A. (vicar, rural dean of Glossop & surrogate), Vicarage
Lound George A. 103 Shaw lane
Smith Percy, 105 Shaw lane
Whiteley Arnold B. 99 Shaw lane

COMMERCIAL.
Allen Joe, painter, 41 Dinting vale
Beard Amy (Miss), shopkpr. Shaw la
Bennett Alfred, farmer
Bickerdike Rd. Hy. shopkpr. 2 Dinting vale
Bradbury Mrs. Eliz. fent dlr. Shaw la
Harrison Abel Limited, coal merchants
Harrop James, farmer, Hill top
Hoyle Thomas, farmer, Hill top
Johnson Jas. Viaduct inn,19 Dinting vale
Lackey Jas. shopkpr. 29 Dinting vale
Lord Alfd. fishmngr. 17 Dinting vale
Marsden Edwin, farmer
Orme Clara (Miss), shopkpr. 103 Dinting vale
Pooler Jas. Plough inn, 107 Dinting vale
Potter Edmund & Co. Ltd. (branch of the Calico Printers’ Association Ltd.), calico printers. T N Glossop 12
Sidebottom Wm. shopkpr. 79 Dinting vale
Skelton Charles (exors. of), carriers
Viaduct Sweets & Tobacco Stores (The), confctnrs. 101 Dinting vale
Walton J. farmer, Shaw farm

GAMESLEY.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
(For T N see general list of Private Residents at end of book)
Cuthbert Mrs. Gamesley house
COMMERCIAL.
Cairnie Lilian (Mrs.), shopkpr. Cottage la
Clayton James R. coal merchant
Crabtree George, shopkeeper
Fox Eliza (Mrs.), shopkpr
Garlick Ellen (Mrs.), Magnet inn
Glossop Dale New Industrial Co-operative Society Limited (The)
Gould Joe, farmer
Grimshaw John, baker
Hadfield Walt, coal dlr. Cottage la
Hammersley Jn. Dawson V. bldr
Harrison Abel Limited, coal merchants, Railway yard
Jackson Thos. farmer, Fold farm
Mackerill Alice Ann (Mrs.), corsetière, Cottage la
Marsden Albert, farmer
Simpson Annie (Mrs.), farmer, Adderley farm
Walton Herbt. farmer

HADFIELD.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(For T N’s see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Ashton Rev. F. Arthur (Wesleyan), 46 Bank street
Bollans R. Wilfred M.B.Vict. 87 Station road
Gault William, M.B.Belf. Ivy house, Hadfield road
Hadfield Wm. Bruce, 305 Hadfield road
Heaton William, 118 Hadfield road
Jackson Thomas, Chomlea,Hadfield road
Jones Rev. William John B.A. (curate), 42 Boss croft
Murphy Rev. John J. (Roman Catholic), The Presbytery
Pollard Vernon, 120 Hadfield road
Siddalls Frank H. 116 Hadfield road
Storrs George Bertram, The Thorns, Park road
Taylor Rev. Peter (Roman Catholic), The Presbytery
Taylor George William, Oaklands
Walker Andrew Paterson, 124 Hadfield rd
White Rev. Archibald Campbell Macalister L.Th. (vicar), Vicarage, Hadfield cross

Marked thus * should be addressed Hollingworth, Manchester.
COMMERCIAL,
Early closing day, Tuesday.
Aldous T. & Son, joiners, 2 Hadfield rd. & Railway st. T N's Glossop 5 & Mottram 52
Almond Jessie (Mrs.) shopkpr. 91 Station rd
Anderson Nancy (Mrs.), midwife, 31 Hadfield rd
????n Thos. beer retlr. 8 Woolley bridge (???? as original entry badly printed)
Bamforth W. & Sons, joiners, 110 Station road
Bedford Henry, ironmonger, Bank bottom
Bennett Thos. & Son, general draprs. 98,100 & 102 Station rd
Bennett Benjamin, smithy see Wilde & Bennett
Bennett Jn. I. Farmer
Bennett Wm. farmer, Owl Nest farm
Bentham Emma (Miss), toy dealer, 33 Station road
Bentham Tom, stationer, 47 Station road
Berry Bartholomew, newsagt. 22 Bank st
Billinge Joseph, saddler, 108 Station road
Bollans Robert Wilfred M.B., Ch.B.Vict, surgeon, & medical officer to No. 2 district, Glossop union, 89 Station road, T N Glossop 28
Booth Henry, pork butcher, 117 Station road
Bowden Frank, shopkeeper, 36 & 38 Waterside
Braddock Jn. M.P.S. chemist, 42 & 44 Station rd. T N Glossop 173
Bramald Ellis, haberdasher, 390 Hadfield road
Breeze George, boot repairer, 1 Church street
Brierley Geo. farmer, 83 Hadfield rd
Broadbent & McDonnell, painters & decrtrs. 99 Woolley Bridge rd
*Brookes Frank, hairdrssr. Woolley bridge
Buckley James, printer, 4 Hadfield road
Buckley John, shopkeeper, 25 Hadfield road
Bush William, greengrocer, 31 Station road
Cartwright Frank & Walt, electrcl. engnrs. 26 The Avenue & wireless supplies, 40 Station rd
Chadwick Harry, confectioner, 238 Woolley Bridge road
Chadwick Saml. Woodhouse, ironmngr. 9 Station rd. & *tinplate worker, Woolley bridge
Challioner Helena (Miss), shopkpr. see Hirst & Chalioner
Charnley Fred, confctnr. 104 Station rd
*Charlesworth Geo. Spread Eagle P.H. Woolley bridge. T N Glossop 183
Chester Albt. Edwd. draper, 49 Station rd
Clayton Chas. fried fish shop, 142 Station rd
Coldwell Edwin, draper, 124 Station rd
Collis Geo. grocer, 111 Station rd
Convent of Sisters of St. Paul, Woolley Bridge road
Cumberland Isaac, beer retailer, 421 Hadfield road
Cuthbert Thomas, Arundel Arms P.H. Cemetery road
Daniel Albert, blacksmith, Albert street
Daniels Arth. Palatine inn, 133 Station rd. T N Glossop 127
Dempsey Ada (Miss), baker, 103 Station rd
*Dewsnap Eliz. (Mrs.), shopkpr. 93 Woolley Bridge rd
Dewsnap Fredk. Wm. fruitr. 82 Station rd
Dewsnap Jn. butcher, 46 Hadfield rd
District Bank Ltd. (sub-branch) (open mon. wed. & fri. 10 a.m. to 12.30 p.m.; sat. 9.30 to 11 a.m.), 97 Station rd. (T N Glossop 240); London office, 75 Cornhill E C 3
Dodd Samuel, coal merchant, Railway yard
Downing Eliz. & Rowbottom Hannah (Misses), confctnrs. 92 Station rd
Edwards Gwendolyn (Mrs.), milliner, 109 Station road
Ellis Eliz. & Mary (Misses), shopkprs. 37 Station rd
Equitable Co-operative Society Ltd. (Jn. Wm. Pogson, sec.; Jn. Hirst, mngr.); registered offices, Wesley st. (T N Glossop 55) & 54, 56, 58 &60 Station rd.; Woolley Bridge rd. &. Stanyforth st. & Padfield & Tintwhistle
Etchells Percy, grocer, 95 Station rd. T N Glossop 152
Fidler Wm. outfitter, 107 Station rd
Firth Harold D., L.D.S.Manc. dental surgn. 95 Station rd
*Forster Florence G. (Mrs.), haberdasher, 50 Woolley bridge
Garlick Ernest, chipped potato dealer, Woolley Bridge road
Gartside & Co. (of Manchester) Limited, cotton spinners & manufacturers, Waterside mills. T N Glossop 115
Gault Wm. M.B., B.Ch.Belf. physcn. & surgn. Ivy ho. Hadfield rd. T N Glossop 95
Gee Cyril, fried fish shop, Woolley Bridge rd
Gerrard Jas. shopkpr. 85 Woolley Bridge rd
Glossop Free Library & Public Hall, Station road
Glossop Gas Co. (branch), 55 Station road
Goss Margt. (Miss), fried fish shop, 127 Station. rd
Greaves James, boot repairer, 55 Hadfield road
Greenwood Cookson, shopkeeper, 52 Bross croft
Greenwood Fred, tripe dresser, Station road
*Gregory Chas. farmer, Woolley bridge
*Gregory Fred, shopkpr. 106 Woolley bridge
Hadfield Central Working Men’s Club (Geo. Platt, sec.), Waterside
Hadfield Conservative Bowling Club (Jn. H. Moore, sec.), 223 Woolley Bridge rd
Hadfield Conservative Club (Jn. Hutchinson, sec.), 223 Woolley Bridge rd
Hadfield Dairy Co. Ltd. provsn. dlrs. 112 Station rd
Hadfield Equitable Co-operative Society Ltd. (Jn. W. Pogson, sec.), Platt st. & Station yard
Hadfield Football Club (Jn. Alfd. Lawton, sec.), Platt st
Hadfield Liberal Club (Jas. E. McDonnell, sec.), Bank st
Hadfield Liberal Bowling Club (Jas. E. McDonnell, sec.), Bank st
Hadfield Picturedrome (Michl. J. McGee, mngr.), Bank st
Hadfield Public Hall & Free Library (John Battey, caretaker), Station road
Hadfield William Bruce, solicitor, 305 Hadfield road. T N Glossop 73
Haigh Hugh, news agent, la, Railway street
Hall Edwin, hair dresser, 84 Station road
Hall Frank, painter, 85 Station rd
Hall Thomas, watch repairer, 5 Station road
Hardman Frank, butcher, la, Bank street
Harrison Abel Limited, coal merchants, Station yard
Harrison John James, fried fish dealer, 42 Hadfield road
*Hill Mary Eliz. (Mrs.)? shopkpr. 209 Woolley Bridge rd
Hirst & Chalioner, shopkprs. 122 Station rd
Hodson Tom, herbalist, 118 Station rd
Holden Walter, watch repairer, 76 Station road
Horrocks Lizzie (Miss), ladies’ hairdrssr. 134 Station rd
Howard Saml. Anchor inn, 61 Hadfield rd
Hulme Jessie (Miss), milliner, 45 Station rd. T N Glossop 138
Hunters The Teamen Limited, grocers, 39 Station road
Hyde Joseph, shopkeeper, 32 Railway street
Jakeman Albert, stationer, 126 Station road
Kay Jn. farmer, 1 Park rd
Kershaw Jonathan, butcher, 3 Station road
Kimble Joe, greengro. Boulderfield
Lee Elizh. H. & Martha (Misses), milliners, 91 Hadfield road
Lee Levi & Co. grocers, 89 Hadfield road
Lee Albert, boot repairer, 131 Station road
Lewis Mrs. chipped potato shop, 19 Brosscroft
Littlewood Geo. Law, tobccnst. 12 Queen st
Livesley Wm. draper, 101 Station rd
Lupton Saml, shopkpr. 31 Church st
McShannon Jn. J., M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O., D.P.H.Belf. physcn. & surgn. 96 Station rd Manchester & County Bank Ltd. (sub-branch) (Wm. Robinson, mngr.) (mon. wed. & fri. 10 a.m. to 12.30 p.m.; sat. 9.30 to 11 a.m.), 132 Station id.; draw on National Provincial Bank Ltd. 2 Princess st. London E C 2
Mansell Lizzie (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 53 Station road
Marsh Frank, grocer, 102 Waterside
Martin Wm. A. & Son, drapers, 11 & 13 Station rd
Meadow Dairy Co. Limited, dairymen, 130 Station road
Meredith Wm. Jn. chipped potato shop, 69 Station rd
Mettrick John Woolley, butcher, 86 Station road
*Middleton & Sons, newsagts. 134 Woolley Bridge rd
Mitchell Frank, baker, 87 Hadfield road
Moscrop Noah, fancy goods dealer, 119 Station road
Murphy Wm. shopkpr. 7 Station rd
Nelson Jessie (Miss), baker, 74 Station road
Newton Harriet (Mrs.), toy dlr. 105 Station rd
Ninnes Andrew, baker, 116 Station road
Nixon Mary Jane (Mrs.), ladies’ hairdrssr. 91a, Station rd
North Sarah E. (Mrs.), Spinners’ Arms P.H. Marsden street
Oldfield Vernon, confctnr. 128 Station rd
Oldham Caroline L. (Mrs.), confctnr. 35 Station rd
Oliver W. k Sons, ironmongers, 51 Station road
*Operative Bleachers’ Association (Ralph Hartley, sec.), 4 Woolley bridge. T N Mottram 23
Parker Susanna (Mrs.), tobccnst. 115 Station rd
Pass Arthur, Pear Tree inn, 431 Hadfield road
Patchett Jn. beer retlr. 41 Station rd
Patchett Tom, butcher, 32 Station rd
Pennington Wm. farmer
Platt Arth. grocer, 1 Green la
*Platt Edwd. Firth, shopkpr. 58 Woolley bridge
Prydderch E. A. shopkpr. 5 Green la
Public Weighing Machine, Station yard
Ratcliffe John, draper, 121 Station road
Reece Wm. chipped potato shop, 1 Station rd
Robinson Tom, baker 27, & cafe 29, Station rd
Rogers Frank, greengrocer, 15 Station road
Rogers William T. tailor, 77 Station road
Ross Geo. insur. agt. 1 Bross croft
Rothwell Edwin, grocer, 94 Station rd. T N Glossop 157
St. Charles’ Hall (Thos. O’Brien, sec.), Woolley Bridge rd
Sargentson James Ltd. cotton waste mers. Brickfield st T N Glossop 62
Schofield Wm. S. draper, 83a, Hadfield rd
Scowcroft Geo. W. 52 Station rd
Shaw Sim, greengro. 79 Station rd
*Sherwood Harry, boot repr. 97 Woolley Bridge rd
Sherwood Robert William, manufacturing chemist see Wyatt, Sherwood & Co
Sidebottom Wm. P. temperance hotel, 152 Station rd. T N Glossop 249
Smith James & Co. coal merchants, Station yard
Smith Herbt. Alfort, dentist, 52 Hadfield rd. T N Glossop 201
Storey Charles Edwin, architect & surveyor, & sanitary inspector & highway surveyor to Glossop Rural District Council & clerk to Glossop reservoir commissioners, 10 Salisbury street
Sutcliffe Emily (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 17 Station road
Swift Wm. boot mkr. 18a, Queen st
Swire Harry, boot maker, 125 Station road
*Swire Jn. clogger, 40 Woolley Bridge
Sykes Horace, hair dresser, 25 Station road
Sykes John, monumental mason. Park road
Torkington Samuel, greengrocer, 113 Station road
Travis Archie, Masons’ Arms inn, 78 Station rd
Tucker Jn. Herbt. baby linen wareho. 68 Station rd
Tweedale Jsph. Victoria hotel P.H. 88 Bross croft
Vernon Thos. A. music seller, 72 Station rd
Wadsworth Arthur, confectioner, 2 Bank street
Walker Andrew Paterson L.R.C.P. & L.R.C.S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S.Glas. physcn. & surgn. 124 Hadfield rd. T N: Glossop 121
Walsh Henry, grocer, 8 Bank street
Walshaw Harold, plumber, 22 Stanyforth st
Warhurst Ernest, milliner, 90 Station rd
Whitehead Geo. baker, 129 Station rd
Wilde & Bennett, motor engineers, motor body builders & smiths, 75 Station road. T N Glossop 119
Wildgoose James, shopkeeper, 23 Station road
Wilman E. & Sons Ltd. silk noil spinners & mfrs. Station mills. T A “Noil, Glossop;” T N Glossop 160
Woodcock Leonard, boot & shoe dlr. 63a, Station rd
Woodhouse Samuel, confectioner 97, & butcher 99, Station rd
Woodward John C. hair dresser, 106 Station road
Woodward Jn. Wm. fried fish shop, 21 Station rd
*Woolley Bridge Palace (Woolley Bridge Palace Ltd. Lessees), Woolley Bridge
*Woolley Bridge Working Men’s Club (W. P. Leach, sec.), 27 Woolley Bridge rd
Woolley Claude, insur. agt. 154 Hadfield rd
*Woolley Tom, fried fish shop, Woolley Bridge
Wright Edwin, Commercial inn, Bank Bottom
Wyatt, Sherwood & Co. mfng. chemists, 30 Bross croft
Wyatt Wm. baker, 1a, Station rd
*Youles Ruth (Mrs.). shopkpr. 114 Woolley bridge

PADFIELD.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
(For T N see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Sargentson Harry J. Rose bank
COMMERCIAL.
Ashton George Woodhouse, miscellaneous dealer, 97 Platt street
Beard T. & Son, slaters, 103 Main rd
Biltcliffe Lister, Peel’s Arms P.H. 6 Temple st.
Brierley Arth. & Frank, dairymen, Main rd
Burdekin Alfd. shopkpr. 22 Platt st
Carr Jas. grocer, 14 Platt st
Cartwright Emily (Miss), confctnr. 95 Platt st
Chevens Bros, farmers, Main rd
Critchlow Saml, farmer, Brook farm
Goddard Jane (Mrs.), shopkpr. 61 Platt st
Greenwood Fred, tripe dresser, 3 Temple st
Greenwood Joe, farmer
Hadfield Equitable Co-operative Society Ltd. (Jn. Wm. Pogson, sec.; Jn. Hurst, mngr.); registered office, Wesley st. (T N Glossop 55) & 99 Platt st
Hampson Sam R. butcher, 85 Platt st. & 4 Post st
Hardy Alice (Mrs.), haberdasher, 31 Post st
Howe Sam, carrier, Main rd
Joyce Ernest Albert, baker, 36 Post st
Kershaw Joshua & Sons Ltd. leather dressers, Hadfield tannery. Glossop 126.
Padfield Liberal Club (Saml. Sharp, sec.), Main road
Padfield Working Men’s Club (Frank Macdonald, sec.), 26 Platt street
Palmer Violet (Miss), shpkpr.15 Post st
Rhodes Thomas & Son (Hadfield) Ltd. cotton spinners & manufacturers, Hadfield mills. T N Glossop 32
Robinson Caroline (Miss), chipped potato dlr. 109 Main rd
Sargentson Wm. cotton waste dlr. Padfield Brook mills. T N Glossop 61
Shepherd Mrs. farmer, Low. Deep clough
Smith Jas. & Co. coal mers. 20 Platt st
Taylor Ernest, farmer
Wilde Rose (Mrs.), shopkpr. 1 Post st



Return to the Local History Main Menu, Return to Trade Directory List, Return to the Home Page.




Page last updated: 25 September 2017.
Copyright 2017 Glossop Heritage Trust. All Rights Reserved.