Glossop Heritage Trust

Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1936
Entries for the area of the Borough of Glossop.



GLOSSOP
GLOSSOP (or Glossop Dale) is a municipal borough, and market town, head of a county court district and petty sessional division, township and parish, on the borders of Cheshire, with a station, 192½ miles by rail from London, on the Great Central section of the London and North Eastern railway, 9½ from Ashton, 24½ from Barnsley, 87 from Birmingham, 65 from Burton, 47 from Chesterfield, 55 from Derby, 41 from Doncaster, 87 from Leicester, 34 from Leek, 47 from Liverpool, 73¾ from Lincoln, 13 from Manchester, 20 from Macclesfield, 74 from Nottingham, 30 from Sheffield, 66¼ from Stafford, 10½ from Stalybridge, 11 from Stockport, 53 from Uttoxeter and 72 from Wolverhampton. It is in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, rural deanery of Glossop, archdeaconry of Chesterfield and diocese of Derby. The London and North Eastern railway from Manchester to Sheffield is carried across Dinting Vale on a lofty viaduct of sixteen arches, constructed of stone, about 1 mile west from the Town hall, and there is a branch line from Dinting to Glossop. The parish of Glossop, before the passing of the Local Government Act, 1894, comprised the hamlets of Glossop, Hadfield, Padfield, Charlesworth, Chunal, Whitfield and Simmondley. By the operation of the above Act, the borough became, by an Order of the County Council, dated Aug. 10, 1894, a civil parish, consisting of the whole of the hamlet of Hadfield, and parts of the previously mentioned hamlets. By the same Act the hamlet of Charlesworth, and the other parts of the hamlets, became the parish of Charlesworth.
The borough is divided into three wards, viz.: All Saints, Hadfield and St. James’. The corporation consists of a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors. The borough has a commission of the peace and a police force. The water supply, derived from Peaknase moors, is collected in reservoirs at Swineshaw. Gas and electricity are available.
Portions of the old parish of Glossop All Saints have been taken to form the ecclesiastical parishes of Whitfield, St. James’; Hadfield, St. Andrew’s ; Dinting, Holy Trinity, and Chinley with Buxworth. The parish church of All Saints is a modem edifice of stone in the Early Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, vestry, organ chamber and a western tower, with spire, containing a clock and 8 bells, rehung and a chiming apparatus attached in 1877 ; the bells were recast in 1923, at a cost of £528 ; the tower was rebuilt in 1856; in 1902 a carved oak porch was added at a cost of £120, in memory of John Wagstaffe : the stained west window is a memorial erected by the congregation to a former Duke and Duchess of Norfolk, Robert Shepley esq. and John Wood esq. benefactors to the church : in 1889 the church was restored and three stained glass windows were placed therein, at a cost of £1,300, defrayed by Miss A. A. Wood and others : there are also memorial windows to the Rev. John Dickinson Knowles M.A. vicar, 1865-89, and Mrs. Mary Rusby: in 1915 the church received important alterations; the nave, a flat Georgian building, erected in 1831, having been pronounced unsafe, was pulled down and the present one of handsome proportions substituted ; it is built of local stone and consists of five bays with side aisles, and a canopied southern porch with a Calvary terminal: in 1923 the chancel was rebuilt and a lady chapel added, Mr. and Mrs. I. Jackson, of Glossop, giving £6,000 for this purpose: a rose window, at the east end, and a carved reredos were erected in 1924 by the congregation,’ the former being in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Jackson: the carved oak pulpit was presented, at a cost of £325, by John Wood esq. of Whitfield House: the altar front, presented to the church in 1895, is of carved oak open-work tracery panels, flanked by figures of SS. Chad and Aidan, with silk frontals to slide in a groove behind the tracery: choir stalls of carved oak were erected in 1896, at a cost of £180, and in 1898, an oak screen bearing the names of the vicars of Glossop from 1321 was provided at a cost of £50: a font of white marble, presented, at a cost of £200, by C. E. Knowles esq. has been placed in a new baptistery : the old communion plate bears date 1745, but in 1877 a new set was presented by the parishioners : the churchyard was closed against interments, with modifications, in 1857-8. The registers date from the year 1620. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £420, with residence, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1927 by the Rev. Francis John Edmond M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, F.R.G.S., surrogate and proctor in convocation.
The Rev. Christopher Howe, vicar 1793 to 1849 and for 40 years also incumbent of Woodhead, Cheshire, established a day school at Glossop, in which he personally taught, and partly rebuilt the parish church; he died 1st Sept. 1849, in the 85th year of his age and the 57th of his vicariate of Glossop. Mr. Charles Winterbottom, for upwards of 60 years sexton and clerk of the parish of Glossop, died at the age of nearly 88 years.
The Roman Catholic church, dedicated to All Saints, a building in the Classic style, situated near Glossop Hall, was erected by Bernard Edward Duke of Norfolk, in 1837, and consists of chancel, nave and a belfry containing one bell: over the altar is a fine copy of Domenichino’s “Communion of St. Hyeronome,” the original of which is in the Vatican ; there are also valuable paintings representing the twelve apostles : there are 250 sittings.
Mount Pleasant Congregational chapel, built in 1858, will seat 600.
There are Methodist chapels in Manor Park road, Simmondley lane and Shrewsbury street.
The Cemetery, of 6 acres, formed in 1859, was enlarged in 1894 and has mortuary chapels ; it is under the control of the town council.
The Town Hall, with the Market House, was considerably enlarged in 1854 and again in 1919. In 1913 new municipal buildings were erected at the rear of the town hall.
The Free Library and Victoria Hall, Fauvel road, erected in 1887 by Herbert Rhodes esq. and Lord Doverdale J.P. at a cost of about £4,400, on a site given by Lord Howard of Glossop, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, containing a reading room and library of 5,000 volumes, lecture hall and a public hall: over the main entrance a tower with pinnacles rises to a height of 80 feet.
The Public Baths, Howard Park, erected in 1887 by Samuel Wood esq. and Mrs. Wood, of Moorfield House, at a cost of about £15,000, comprise a swimming bath, four private baths for males and a like number for females, and two vapour baths : the buildings include a ventilating tower 100 feet high.
There are cotton factories here and, in the neighbourhood, calico printing establishments and paper mills.
Hurst brook and Whitfield brook, two feeders of the Etherow, take their rise on the adjacent moors ; the water of the latter possesses bleaching properties, which fact was taken advantage of in establishing the works at Charlestown. There are quarries producing building and paving stone. The principal market day is Saturday. Fairs are held from the 4th to 7th of May, also the 14th to 17th of September, for the sale of horses and cattle.
There are charities of about £40 yearly value, distributed among the poor on St. Thomas’ day, in money and clothing, by two representatives of the eight original hamlets of Glossop Dale.
The Wood’s Hospital, Howard Park, founded and endowed in 1887 by Daniel Wood esq. at a cost of about £6,000, the endowment fund being £19,000, is a structure of brick cased externally with stone, and comprises two male and two female wards, holding about 24 patients, with kitchens &c. and an administrative block, containing the offices, store rooms &c. : to the west of the hospital is a detached laundry, with lodge keeper’s residence.
The Partington Convalescent & Nurses’ Home, North road built in 1908 by Sir E. Partington, at a cost of about £30,000, including endowment, is a structure of stone, and consists of two wings and one central block; in the central block are the matron’s and nurses’ apartments; the home provides for 12 patients.
Howard Park, North road, formed in 1887, at the joint expense of Lord Howard of Glossop, Samuel Wood esq. and Mrs. Wood, is situated on an eminence, commanding a fine view of the town and neighbourhood; it is about 12 acres in extent.
Manor Park grounds, formerly the seat of Lord Howard of Glossop, and part of the manor of Glossop, were acquired by the borough of Glossop in 1927 for use as public recreation grounds. In 1932 a pavilion was added, with refreshment room and dressing rooms.
At Old Cross, Old Glossop, are the remains of an ancient stone cross, about 12 feet in height, which has been restored and is in a fair state of preservation.
The town and hamlets appear to have been divided in the time of Edward the Confessor into several parts among different Saxon proprietors, but in the Domesday Survey the whole of Glossop is put down as forfeited to the Crown; and the Conqueror afterwards gave it to his natural son, William Peveril, whose son Richard, however, being disinherited by Henry I, Glossop was again confiscated by the Crown, and in 1157 was granted by Henry II together with the advowson of the church to the Abbey of Basingwerke, “in free and perpetual alms for ever,” and this abbey had acquired before the 15th century nearly all the hamlets now comprising the Glossop estate; Glossop remained the property of Basingwerke Abbey till the dissolution of the lesser abbeys in 1536, when Henry VIII. seized it with other conventual property and afterwards granted it to the Earl of Shrewsbury, who in turn exchanged it with the Duke of Norfolk for estates in Ireland, and in this noble family it has remained to the present time.
The land is partly moor and pasturage. The area of the municipal borough is 3,323 acres of land and inland water; the population in 1931 was 20,001.
The population of the wards in 1931 was:—All Saints’, 6,061 ; Hadfield, 6,270, and St. James’, 7,670.
The population of the ecclesiastical parish of All Saints in 1931 was 2,831.
HOLLYBANK is a hamlet in the parish.

DINTING, formed into an ecclesiastical parish, 1875, is partly in Glossop borough, and has a station on the Great Central section of the London and North Eastern railway. This place is now amalgamated with Glossop and Charlesworth civil parishes. The church of the Holy Trinity, erected by the Wood family, of Glossop, and opened July, 1875, is a building of stone in the Gothic style of the 13th century, and consists of apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, an organ chamber forming a transept on the south side, vestry and a tower at the west end of the south aisle, with pinnacles and an octagonal spire reaching a height of 137 feet from the ground to the top of the vane, and containing 6 bells: the nave is divided from the aisle by circular stone piers, with moulded caps and bases: the pulpit, of Caen stone and marble, was erected in memory of the patrons and founders: there are several memorial windows, including the east window of four lights, erected in 1922 to those who fell in the Great War: the font, presented by Mrs. Wood, consists of a basin of Caen stone on a shaft of red marble : the organ was also presented by Mrs. Wood in 1882 : a choir vestry was added in 1931 ; there are 630 sittings, 90 of which are free. The register dates from 1875. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, with residence, in the gift of Sir John Wood bart. D.L., J.P. and Sir Samuel Hill-Wood bart. D.L., J.P. and held since 1936 by the Rev.
There is a Methodist chapel, built in 1860, with 325 sittings, 100 Of which are free. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1931 was 2,857.

BROOKFIELD is a hamlet, 1 mile north of Dinting station. The Congregational chapel, erected in 1884, is a building of stone in the Early English style: all the windows are stained : it has 400 sittings.

GAMESLEY is a hamlet 1 mile west of Dinting station, In the hamlet of Gamesley are the remains of a Roman fort called by the country people from time immemorial, “Melandra ” and “ Melandra Castle; ” it stands at the confluence of the Course Brook and the Etherow: it is rectangular in form, with rounded angles, and had three double gateways and a single arched entrance on the south: the length is 398 feet, the breadth 368 feet, and the area 3.36 acres approximately, and in the centre is a square building which contained several chambers, and has been by analogy called the “Praetorium :” a good deal of pottery, terra sigillate and Romano-British ware has been found, as well as glass and floor and roof tiles, Roman coins from 68 to 388 A.D. and a quantity of trade and coin-weights, both Roman and Celtic. The miscellaneous objects include bones, flints, dice, iron, lead and bronze finds; tiles marked with the initials V.V. (Valeria Victrix) of the 20th Legion, and a centurial stone, found here in 1771, and inscribed to Valerius Vitalis, centurion of the 1st cohort of the Frisiavones, which was in Britain, A.D. 105 and 124: it has been concluded that Melandra was occupied as early as 80 A.D. and again after an interval in the 3rd and 4th centuries: the summit of this eminence is still called “The Castle Yard,” and a tradition exists that Melandra was one of the strongholds of the ancient British in the time of the Saxon invasion. On an opposite hill, called “Mousley,” is the site of another traditional castle. Some stones which came from Mousley Castle, inscribed with rude hieroglyphics, are still to be seen walled into the gable end of a house at Hadfield, and are evidently Runic. Both Melandra and Mousley lie on the Roman road from the camp of “Mancunium” (Manchester) to that of “Ad Petuariam” (Brough, near Castleton).

HADFIELD, together with the township of Padfield, was formed in 1876 into an ecclesiastical parish, but was August 10, 1894, amalgamated with Glossop; it is on the borders of Cheshire, within the borough of Glossop and county court district of Glossop, with a station on the Great Central section of the London and North Eastern railway. The church of St. Andrew, erected at a cost of about £4,250 and consecrated July 4th, 1874, is a building in the Gothic style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, south transept, baptistery, organ chamber and a central bell turret containing one bell: the font, worked in native stone, was presented in 1874 by Mr. James Sherriff, of Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand, and formerly of Hadfield, and had previously been exhibited at the Colonial exhibition, Victoria : the richly embroidered communion cloth was presented by the Rev. C. B. Ward M.A. vicar of Whitfield, and the credence table by Mr. Braddock, churchwarden : a new organ was erected in 1879, at a cost of about £650, by James Sidebottom esq. J.P. of Millbrook, Hadfield, as a memorial to his wife: the brass lectern was presented in memory of Beatrice Dawson at a cost of about £100: there are 538 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from July 5th, 1874, and of marriages from August, 1875. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £390, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1917 by the Rev. Archibald Campbell Macalister White L.Th. of Durham University, rural dean of Glossop, who is a surrogate. There is a Mission room at Woolley Bridge. The Roman Catholic church, dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, erected in 1858 by Lord Howard of Glossop, and consisting of nave, aisles, sacristy, baptistery and a western tower containing one bell : there are memorials to Father McDonnell and the Right Rev. Monsignor Canon H. Sabela : the carved high altar of stone was erected in memory of Father Hickey : the Lady altar was presented by the Right Rev. Monsignor Canon H. Sabela: in the church are several figures carved in stone and many valuable oil paintings, one of these, a copy of Raphael’s “Transfiguration” being placed above the high altar: a new pulpit of Caen stone, marble and alabaster was erected in 1894 as a memorial of the nomination of the Right Rev. Monsignor Canon H. Sabela as domestic prelate to his Holiness Pope Leo XIII : there are memorial windows to Lord Edward G. Fitzalan Howard, 1st baron Howard of Glossop, d. 1 Dec. 1883, and Augusta (Talbot), his wife, d. 3 July, 1862, and others to Miss Margaret Mary Conlan, Mrs. Dorothea M. Gregory, Miss Sabela and to Mrs. Esther Mary Couban, and an “ Ecce Homo ” presented by Monsignor H. Sabela. Outside the church is a vault belonging to the Howard family. The Convent of Sisters of Charity of St. Paul, on the south side of the church, was erected in 1887 at the cost of John Dalton esq. There are three Methodist chapels : one built in 1878, seating 750; that built in 1855 seating 560; and one built in 1876 and enlarged in 1885, seating 160. Hadfield Hall, the ancient mansion of the Hadfields of Hadfield, dating from 1646, was converted into a couple of cottages ; some years ago the handsome black oak carving was taken down and erected in a farm house on the Glossop estate. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1931 was 5,839.
Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office, 120 Station road. Letters through Manchester.

PADFIELD, adjoining Hadfield station, 1½ miles north-west from Glossop and partly within that borough, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, parish, petty sessional division and county court district of Glossop, is included in the ecclesiastical parish of St. Andrew’s, Hadfield. The Methodist chapel, erected in 1880, will seat 400.
Letters through Manchester, via Hadfield.

WHITFIELD was formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1884. On Aug. 10, 1894 the portion in Glossop borough was added to that parish, and the remainder amalgamated with the civil parish of Charlesworth. The church of St. James is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and a western tower with spire and pinnacles containing 8 bells, added in 1884 and recast in 1931, and a clock placed in 1885 by Miss Wood, of Whitfield House: the organ, erected in 1860, was enlarged in 1870, 1880 and 1896, and repaired in 1908: there are two stained windows to the memory of John, Daniel and Samuel Wood, and two added in 1931, one by the parishioners in memory of the late Mrs. Wood and the other by the Rev. H. V. and Mrs. Nicoll-Griffith in memory of their daughter Sylvia: the church was enlarged in 1895-6 by the erection of a chancel and vestry, and the whole interior reseated at a cost, including special gifts, of over £4,000: a chapel was added in 1928 at a cost of £2,000, by Sir John Wood bart. D.L., J.P. in memory of Lady Wood and members of his family; there are 1,100 sittings, 550 being free. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £420, with residence, in the gift of Sir John Wood bart. D.L., J.P. and Sir Samuel Hill-Wood bart. D.L., J.P. and held since 1934 by the Rev. James Whitehead Cooke M.A. of Keble College, Oxford. The church of St. Luke, also in this parish, was built in 1906 by Mrs. S. Wood, of Moorfield, at a cost of £5,000: the east window was erected in 1928 to the memory of Mrs. Wood by the parishioners : the church is served by the clergy of St. James’. There are Mission rooms in Chapel street and Kershaw street. The Summer Memorial Roman Catholic church, Sumner street, dedicated to St. Mary, founded and endowed by Francis James Sumner esq. D.C.L. of Park Hall, Hayfield, and erected in 1887 by his heirs on a site granted by Lord Howard of Glossop, at a cost of about £17,000, is an edifice of local stone in the Early English style, consisting of apsidal chancel, clerestoried nave of eight bays, aisles, side chapels, baptistery, south porch and an eastern turret with spire and ornamental finial, rising to a height of 90 feet and containing one bell: a stone screen separates the chancel from the side chapels : the altar and tabernacle are elaborately carved in alabaster, marble and Caen stone, and the pulpit is also of Caen stone: stations of the cross were added in 1889 : in 1908 a memorial altar and stained window were erected to the Right Rev. Canon Charles W. Tasker: there are 900 sittings. There is a convent for Sisters of Charity of St. Paul in Shaw street. Littlemoor Congregational chapel, founded in 1811, has 800 sittings. Littlemoor Congregational schools, Victoria street, erected in 1881, form a building of stone in the Italian style, and will hold 700 scholars; the schools are also used for lectures and concerts, and can be arranged so as to seat 1,000. The Gospel Mission hall, in Ellison street, erected in 1888, is of stone in the Gothic style, and will seat 800. The Whitfield Free Library, containing 600 volumes, and the adjoining recreation ground were presented to the people of Glossop by George S. Ollerenshaw esq. J.P. in 1902. Whitfield House, the residence of Sir John Wood bart. D. L., J.P. is a large stone building in the Elizabethan style, standing in its own grounds. The inhabitants are employed in the large cotton and paper mills just outside the township and in the bleach works within its boundaries. The soil is various ; subsoil, clay. The land is practically all in pasture. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1931 was 7,890.
Charlestown is a place here.

CHUNAL is 2 miles south from Glossop and partly within that borough, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, parish, petty sessional division and county court district of Glossop, and in the ecclesiastical parish of Whitfield; part is included in Glossop civil parish, the remainder being in Charlesworth civil parish.

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.
Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Victoria street, should have Derbyshire added
Town Sub-Post & M. O. Office, 29 Manor Park road, Old Glossop
Town Sub-Post, M. O. & Tel. Call Office, 198 High street west
Town Sub-Post & M. O. Office, 118 Victoria street, Whitfield

CORPORATION.
1935-1936.
Mayor, Councillor Richard A. Beckmann J.P.
Deputy Mayor, Councillor Thomas Farnsworth.
Aldermen.
Retire Nov. 1936: John Platt, Richard Sellers, George Wharmby
Retire Nov. 1939: Joseph Edwin Buckley J.P., Joseph Dempsey Doyle J.P., William Jackson J.P.
Councillors.
All Saints’ Ward.
Returning Officer for Ward Elections, Alderman Rd. Sellars.
Retire Nov. 1936: John Henry May, George Platt
Retire Nov. 1937: Richard Alfred Beckmann, Arthur Mellor J.P
Retire Nov. 1938: Herbert Brown, John Hague
St. James’ Ward.
Returning Officer for Ward Elections, Alderman Joseph Edwin Buckley J.P.
Retire Nov. 1936: Arthur Goldthorpe, William Hankinson J.P.
Retire Nov. 1937: John Hy. Cuthbert, Joseph Taylor
Retire Nov. 1938: Thomas Farnsworth, Edward Greenwood
Hadfield Ward.
Returning Officer for Ward Elections, Alderman J. Platt.
Retire Nov. 1936: Walter John Pozzer, John Watson Struthers
Retire Nov. 1937: Ernest Haigh, John Hy. Robinson
Retire Nov. 1938: Robert Jn. Boak J.P., James Walker Wilde

Officers of the Corporation.
Town Clerk, William S. A. Robinson, solicitor, Municipal buildings
Assistant Town Clerk, J. Ashton, Municipal buildings
Borough Treasurer & Chief Rating & Valuation Officer, E. M. Boardman, Municipal buildings
Medical Officer of Health & Medical Superintendent ofMaternity & Child Welfare Centre & to the Isolation Hospital & Partington Convalescent, Nurses’ Home & Wood’s Hospital, E. H. M. Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H. Dubl. Municipal buildings
Public Analyst, Harri Heap M.Sc., Manchester
Borough Auditor, James Moss A.S. A. A. Alexandra buildings, 28 Queen street, Manchester
Surveyor & Water Works Manager, George Faulds M.I.M. & Cy.E. & R.S.I
Veterinary Surgeon under the Diseases of Animals Acts, D. T. Blakemore M.R.C.V.S. 62 Corporation street, Hyde
Water Inspector, James Byrom, Town Hall, High street west
Chief Constable, Inspector under Diseases of Animals Acts, Inspector of Hackney Carriages & Superintendent of Fire Brigade, Robert C. Greensmith, Ellison street
Sanitary & Meat Inspector & Inspector under the Food & Drugs Acts, Harry Dane, Municipal buildings
Chief Inspector of Weights & Measures, Robert C. Greensmith, Ellison street
Parks Superintendent, John Metcalfe, North road
Collector, Walter Dixon, Municipal buildings, Glossop
Librarian, F. A. Richards A.L.A. Fauvel road

BOROUGH MAGISTRATES.
The Mayor & Ex Mayor
Boak Robert John, 46 Kiln lane, Hadfield
Bollans Robert Wilfred M.B. 87 Station road, Hadfield
Buckley Joseph Edwin, 2 Pike’s lane, Glossop
Dixon Walter, Pike’s lane, Glossop
Doyle Joseph Dempsey, 87 Hague street, Glossop
Fletcher Samuel, Chelston, North road, Glossop
Hankinson William, Spire Hollin, Glossop
Hill-Wood Sir Samuel H. bart. D.L. 52 Eaton place, London S W 1
Hinchliffe Mrs. Margaret, Hadfield road, Hadfield
Hunter Thomas Pearson, Woodside, Sheffield road, Glossop
Jackson William, Post street, Padfield, Manchester
Knowles Charles E. Henstridge house, Henstridge
Mellor Arthur, 31 Duke street, Glossop
Partington Mrs. O.B.E. Talbot house, Glossop
Sargentson Percy, Beechwood, North road, Glossop
Clerk, Percy E. Ireland, 6 Market street
The magistrates meet every alternate monday at the Town hall at 2.30 p.m.

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR GLOSSOP PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.
(For addresses of magistrates see complete list at front of book.)
Rowbottom James Henry (chairman)
Hambleton S
Heywood Lt.-Col. George Basil T.D
Leech Alfred
Partington Mrs. M.B.E
Sidebottom Maj. Ralph B., T.D
Smith J. B
Sumner Francis George
Walkden J
Watkis B
Wood Sir John bart. D.L
The Mayor of Glossop, ex-officio magistrate
Clerk to the Magistrates, P. E. Ireland, 6 Market st. Glossop
Petty Sessions are held at the Town hall at intervals of three or four weeks, at 2.30 p.m. Thursdays. The following places are included in the division :—Charlesworth, Chisworth, Chunal & Simmondley

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.
Borough Police Office, Ellison street
Borough Police Station, Albert street, Hadfield
Cemetery, Cemetery road, William S. A. Robinson, clerk ; offices, Municipal buildings
County Court, His Honour Judge Cecil James Frankland; Percy Edward Ireland, registrar & high bailiff; office, 4 Market street, open from 10 to 4, on Saturdays from 9 till 12. The county court is held at the Town Hall & comprises the following parishes: Arnfield & district of Tintwistle, Brownside, Charlesworth, Chisworth, Chunal, Dinting, Gamesley, Glossop, Hadfield, Hollingworth, Padfield, Simmondley, Torside, Whitfield, Woodhead & Wooley Bridge.
For Bankruptcy purposes this Court is included in that of Ashton-under-Lyne ; L. A. West & P. M. Milward, official receivers; E. T. Sanders & A. C. Williams, assistant official receivers, Byrom street, Manchester
Certified Bailiff under the Law of Distress Amendment Act, John W. Darlington, Norfolk square
Customs & Excise & Old Age Pensions Office, Henry street, James Snailson Samson, officer
Derbyshire County Council Tuberculosis Dispensary, Surrey street, W. H. Morton M.B., Ch.B.St.And., M.R.C.P.Edin., D.P H medical officer ; Miss H. Millington, matron
Fire Station, Ellison street
Free Library & Victoria Hall, Fauvel road, F. A. Richards A.L.A. librarian
Hadfield Public Hall & Free Library (branch of Glossop Free Library), Station road, ; Tom Hadson, caretaker
Howard Park, North road, John Metcalfe, supt
Manor Park, Manor Park road, John Metcalfe, supt
Masonic Hall, Norfolk square, George Henry Wilson, sec
Maternity & Child Welfare Centre, Municipal buildings Ernest Henry Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dubl medical supt
Ministry of Labour Employment Exchange, Victoria street, Egerton Doodson, manager; & Woolley Bridge road, Hadfield, C. H. Farrand, officer in charge
Partington Convalescent & Nurses’ Home, North road Ernest Henry Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dubl. medical supt.; Miss B. Finnerty, matron
Public Baths, The Park & Station road, Hadfield, Silvester Whitehead, supt
Town Hall, High street west, Allen Byrom, caretaker
Whitfield Free Library (branch of Glossop Free Library), Freetown, Charles Howard, caretaker
Whitfield Parish Hall, Richard Meadow, sec. Kershaw street
Wood’s Hospital, The Park, E. H. M. Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dubl. medical supt.; R. W. Bollans M.B., Ch.B. Vict. J.P., F. Q. McKeown M.C., M.B., Ch.B.L’pool. P. E. Malloch L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S.Glas., L.D.S.R.C.S. Edin., R. E. Jackson M.B., Ch.B.Manch., J. Hadfield M.B., C.M.Aberd., E. J. Allen L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S.GIas. & J. J. McShannon M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O., D.P.H.Belf. medical officers; W. S. A. Robinson (town clerk), sec.; Miss G. O. Ashdown, matron

NORTH-WESTERN AREA PUBLIC ASSISTANCE COMMITTEE.
The area includes Glossop borough, Buxton Borough, New Mills & Chapel-en-le-Frith
Meets every alternate Wednesday, at 2.30 p.m.
Chairman, G. B. Chell J.P., C.C. Buxton
Clerk, Charles F. V. Fenton, 14 & 16 Ellison street, Glossop
Relieving Officers, A. C. Oldham, 14 & 16 Ellison street, Glossop ; J. S. Wherrett, Chapel-en-le-Frith ; A. James, assistant
Medical Officers, No. 1 district, J. Hadfield M.B., C.M.Aberd. Hollincross lane, Glossop; No. 2 district, R. W. Bollans M.B., Ch.B., J.P. Station road, Hadfield; No. 4 district, G. B. Pemberton M.B., Ch.B.Edin., F.R.C.S.Edin., D.P.H. Vict. New Mills ; No. 1 Chapel-en-le-Frith district, D. J. Cogan L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S.Glas. Cromwell house, Chapel-en-le-Frith; Buxton district, G. Cochrane M.B., Ch.B.Glas., D.P.H.Lond. Turnsteads, Burlington road, Buxton; No. 3 Chapel-en-le-Frith district, J. W. Waddell Baillie M.B., Ch.B.Glas. Peveril house, Castleton
Public Vaccinator, G. B. Pemberton M.B., Ch.B.Edin., F.R.C.S.Edin., D.P.H.Vict. New Mills
The Glossop Institution, to hold 144 inmates, Robert Winter, master; Joseph Hadfield M.B., C.M.Aberd. Hollincross lane, Glossop, medical officer; Mrs. D. Winter, matron
The Hayfield Institution, built in 1840 to hold 96 inmates & since enlarged, B. Barnes, master; G. B. Pemberton M.B., Ch.B.Edin., F.R.C.S.Edin., D.P.H.Vict. New Mills, medical officer; Mrs. A. Barnes, matron
The Chapel-en-le-Frith Institution, erected in 1840, is a stone building at the west end of the town, & will hold 100 inmates; Henry C. E. Hinks, master. In 1898 new Board room & offices were added

GLOSSOP REGISTRATION DISTRICT.
Superintendent Registrar, William B. Hadfield, 6 Market street; deputy, James Harrison, 6 Market street, Glossop
Registrar of Births & Deaths, Glossop sub-district, Charles F. V. Fenton, 14 & 16 Ellison street, Glossop; deputy, Miss G. Warrington, 14 & 16 Ellison street, Glossop
Registrar of Marriages, G. B. Buxton, 6 Market street

PUBLIC OFFICERS.
Assistant Rating & Valuation Officer & Collector, Walter Dixon, Municipal buildings
Clerk to the Cemetery Committee, William S. A. Robinson (town clerk), Municipal buildings
Coroner for the Hundred of High Peak, Sydney Taylor, 7 Hall bank, Buxton; deputies, E M. Brooke-Taylor, 5 The Quadrant, Buxton & George Henry Wilson, Norfolk square, Glossop
Customs, Excise & Old Age Pension Officer, James Snailson Samson, Henry street
Market Inspector, Allen Byrom, Town hall
Stamp Distributor, William H. Robinson, Post office, Victoria street

PLACES OF WORSHIP.
Parish Church (All Saints’), Rev. Francis John Edmond M.A., F.R.G.S. vicar, & surrogate
Holy Trinity, Dinting, Rev.
St. Andrew, Hadfield, Rev. Archibald Campbell Macalister White L.Th. vicar, rural dean of Glossop & surrogate; Rev. S. T. Coulter, curate
St. James’ Whitfield, Rev. J. W. Cooke M.A. vicar; Rev. G. E. Williams, curate
St. James’ Mission Room, Chapel street
St. Luke’s, Fauvel road, Rev. G. E. Williams, priest in charge
Sumner Memorial Roman Catholic Church (St. Mary’s), Sumner street, Very Rev. Canon W. R. Winder, parish priest; Rev. W. P. McEnery, assistant priest
All Saints Roman Catholic, Rev. Joseph Ketels, priest
St. Charles Borromeo Roman Catholic, Hadfield, Rev. D. Ellis, priest
Elim Tabernacle (Church of the Four Square Gospel), Ellison street, Rev. A. S. Gaunt, pastor
Congregational, Littlemoor; Rev. Thomas Arthur Bairstow
Congregational, St. Mary’s road (Mount Pleasant), Rev. Arthur W. Goodwin
Congregational, Brookfield, Rev. John Henry Robinson
Methodist, High street west, Hadfield, Padfield, Wesley street & Whitfield, Rev. F. Metcalfe, supt
Methodist, Manor Park road ; Simmondley lane, Dinting ; Station road, Hadfield & Whitfield Cross, Rev. Walter Falkner (supt)
Methodist, Shrewsbury street & Mission Chapel, Princess street, Rev. W. Atkinson, supt
Unitarian, Fitzalan street, Rev. Hubert George Woodford B.A
Wesleyan Reformers, Howard street, Rev. A. J. Couling
Gospel Union Mission Hall, Whitfield
National Spiritualist Church, Jones street, Hadfield
Salvation Army Hall, Edward street

EDUCATIONAL.
Under the provisions of the Education Act, 1902, an Education Committee has been formed, consisting of 21 members. The Committee meets at the Municipal buildings on the third monday in each month (except August) at 8.15 p.m. Chairman, Alderman Joseph Dempsey Doyle J.P
Officers.
Secretary to the Committee, William S. A. Robinson, Municipal buildings
Finance Clerk, Harold Appleton, Municipal buildings
Treasurer & Accountant, E. M. Boardman, Municipal bldgs
School Medical Officer, Ernest Henry Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dub. Municipal buildings
Attendance Officer, Joseph H. Sidebottom, Municipal bldgs
The Glossop Grammar School, Talbot street, founded in 1900 by Lord Howard of Glossop, is equipped with physical & chemical laboratories, art rooms & workshops; the laboratories are well equipped with modern apparatus & appliances. The school has advanced courses in (1) science & mathematics, (2) modern studies; pupils pass on to Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester &c. Universities. The school is controlled by governors appointed by the Education Committee of the Borough of Glossop; Charles H. Chambers B.Sc.Eng. head master
Kingsmoor School, established in Glossop Hall, the former residence of Lord Howard of Glossop, is under the control of a council appointed by Kingsmoor School Ltd. the owners of the school property. The school is governed by the head master, assisted by the teaching staff & the boys & girls themselves. It is a mixed boarding school on co-educational lines & has preparatory, junior & senior departments; George Raymond Swaine, head master

Railway Stations, Norfolk street, Glossop & Dinting (L.&N.E)
Motor Omnibuses to & from Manchester, Hyde, Hadfield, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Dove Holes, Peak Forest, Buxton, Dinting, Charlesworth, Chisworth, Compstall & Marple Bridge

GLOSSOP.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(For T N’s see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Allan Edward James, 10 North road
Andrew Mrs. 16 North road
Armitage Mrs. Ivyleigh, Sheffield road
Ashton Roscoe S. Ryecroft house, Manor Park road
Ashworth Adam, Sunnymeade, Kingsmoor fields
Ashworth Wltr. Greenways, Kingsmoor fields
Atkinson Rev. William (Methodist), Temple mount, Shrewsbury street
Bairstow Rev. Thomas Arthur (Congregational), 2 Gladstone street
Ballington Samuel, 19 Ashes lane
Bayley Edwin, Lyndale, Spire Hollin
Beckman Richard A., J.P., Hawkshead
Booth Fred, Merlestead, North road
Booth John, 8 High street east
Bowden Mrs. 47 Norfolk street
Bramall James, Netherdale; Spire Hollin
Buxton William, 23 Ashes lane
Callaghan John, 108 Sheffield road
Chambers Charles H., B.Sc. (head master Grammar School), 18 Shaw street Charlesworth Mrs. Holly house, Spire Hollin
Clay Lawrence, Manor crest, Norfolk st
Clayton Herbert, 15 Ashes lane
Clayton Herbert, 118 Charlestown road
Cooke Rev. James Whitehead M.A. (vicar of St. James’), The Vicarage, Whitfield
Couling Rev. Albert James (Methodist Reform), 43 Spire Hollin
Curl Wm. Christopher, 48 Sheffield road
Cuthbert John H. 25 Lord street
Dane Harry, Windyridge, Woodhead rd
Darlington John William, Woodview, Sheffield road
Dearnaley Joseph, 2 Alexander villas, Talbot road
Dearnaley Mrs. 17 North road
Dickinson Ralph Herbert. Ellerslie, Spire Hollin
Edmond Rev. Francis John M.A. F.R.G.S. (vicar & surrogate), The Vicarage
Ellison Theo. Walter, Easton, High st. ea
Falkner Rev. Walter (Methodist), 42 Sheffield road
Faulds George, Oakfield, North road
Fielding John William Stanley, 40 Fauvel road
Fielding Mrs. Brentwood, Spire Hollin
Firth Austin, 35 Ashes lane
Firth Harold D. 77 Norfolk street
Fletcher Samuel J.P. 19 North road
Furniss Capt. William Victor, Hillside, North road
Furniss Frank, Aberdeen house, Surrey st
Gadd Gordon, Heath bank, Woodhead rd
Gaunt Rev. Albion Sydney (pastor, Church of the Foursquare Gospel), Bethrapha, Spire Hollin
Goddard Benjamin, 22 Fauvel road
Goddard James S. 17 Ashes lane
Goldthorpe Arthur, 4 Fauvel road
Goodwin Rev. Arthur W. (Congregational), 17 Sumner street
Greaves William, Heathfield, Sheffield rd
Greensmith Rt. Collier, 21 Fauvel rd
Gregory William Garnett, 21 Ashes lane
Hadfield Francis Darwent, The Nook, Dinting road
Hadfield Isaac Gee, Ashlands, Dinting rd
Hadfield John, Norwood, Spire Hollin
Hadfield Joseph M.B.Aberd. Hollincross house, Hollincross lane
Hadwin Harry, 42 Fauvel road
Hall Fredk. Jas. Sunny bank, North rd
Hall James Edwin, 20 Fauvel road
Hankinson William J.P. Claremont, Spire Hollin
Harrison Walter, Glenbrook, Dinting rd
Harrison Wm. Oaklands, Spire Hollin
Higginbottom Thomas, 14 North road
Hilton Wilfrid, Wren nest, Sunlaws st
Hodgett Hy .Oswald, Redcot, Spire Hollin Hollin
Samuel Edward, Moorlands, Sheffield road
Hopwood Mrs. Essenden, Sheffield road
Hudson Mrs. Trevethyn, Spire Hollin
Hunter Harold W. Ain Garth. Dinting rd
Hunter Thomas Pearson J.P. Woodside, Sheffield road
Hyde John T. Heatherlea, Dinting road
Ireland Percy E. Slatelands house, Slatelands road
Jackson Frank, High lawn, Hobroyd
Jackson Herbert, Cowbrook, Sheffield rd
Jackson James Martin, Holly mount, Ellison street
Jackson Josiah, Redcourt, Hollincross la
Jackson Mrs. Hawkshead house
Jackson Robert Edward M.B. 93 High street west
Jeffreys Alfred, Lynton, Dinting road
Kennington John Lewis, 33 Ashes lane
Ketels Rev. Joseph (Roman Catholic),
Royle house, Church street
Kilner John Theodore, Bleak house, Victoria street
Lea Mrs. 74 Sheffield road
Leech Alfd. J.P. Sunnyfield, Sheffield rd
Leech William H. Cowbrook cottage, Sheffield road
Lees Miss Frances, 29 Ashes lane
Lester James, 13 Ashes lane
McEnery Rev. William P. (Roman Catholic), St. Mary’s rectory, Sumner street
McKeown Felix Quinn M.C., M.B., Ch.B.L’pool, 25 Victoria street
McKinlay Finlay, Weston, Spire Hollin
McShannon John J., M.B.Belf. Loch Maree, North road
Malloch Peter Edwd. 84 St. Mary’s rd
Metcalfe Rev. Frank (Methodist), The Manse, Talbot road
Morgan Horace, 44 Sheffield road
Morris Maj. Frederick H., M.B.E. 8 Hague street, Whitfield
Moseley Ben, Wrenfield, Spire Hollin
Nelson Mrs. 28 Norfolk street
Newton Miss A. A. Barclay’s Bank buildings, Norfolk street
Nuttall John, Greystoke, Dinting road
Ollerenshaw Misses, 42 Talbot street
Ollerhead Edgar, 46 Sheffield road
Partington Mrs. M.B.E., J.P. Talbot house, Talbot road
Pennington James Edward, 25 Ashes la
Podmore Thos. Leonard, 26 Fauvel rd
Radcliffe Samuel, Weetwood, North rd
Robertson Francis, Cleadon, Kingsmoor fields
Robinson William S. A. Danemore, North road
Rowbottom Frederick William,Oakleigh, North road
Rowbottom Samuel, 31 Ashes lane
Russell Mrs. Rosemont, Norfolk street
Samson James Snailham, Castlemere, Spire Hollin
Sargentson James, Holly bank, Talbot rd
Sargentson Percy J.P. Beechwood,North road
Schofield Miss, Lonsdale villa, Spire Hollin
Sherlock Arthur, Bank house, Henry st
Sidebottom Albert, 24 Fauvel road
Smith Charles Crosland, The Rockeries, Dinting road
Smith Mrs. James W. 53 Norfolk st
Smith Thomas O.116 Charlestown road
Smith Tom, Ingle nook, Dinting road
Stapley Henry, Denholm, Sheffield road
Statham William Ernest, Lonsdale, Spire Hollin
Sutherland Richard, Ashley, Dinting rd
Swaine George Raymond (head master), Kingsmoor school
Swire Miss, 52 Sheffield road
Taylor Ernest Robert L.D.S. 40 Norfolk street
Thompson E. Ashmore, Highfield house, Talbot road
Thorp Albert Ernest, The Cedars, Sheffield road
Townend Walter, Rosstherne, Sheffield rd
Townsend Mrs. 53 Norfolk street
Walkden Joseph J.P. Clavadel, Spire Hollin
Walton Matthew, Oakdene, Sheffield rd
Ward A. M. 120 Charlestown road
Waterhouse Robert B. Bedford house, Surrey street
Watts George, 11 Dinting road
Werschy Hans, 13 North road
Williams Rev. George Ernest (priest in charge of St. Luke’s), 22 North road
Wilson George, Hollywood, Sheffield rd
Wilson Mrs. The Firs, Talbot road
Winder Very Rev. Canon W. R. (Roman Catholic), St. Mary’s rectory, Sumner street
Woddall Thomas, North road
Wood Sir John bart. D.L., J.P. Whitfield house
Woodford Rev. Hubert George B.A. (Unitarian), Park croft, Dinting road
Wragg Mrs. Ashfield, Sheffield road

COMMERCIAL.
Early closing day, Tuesday.
Adams Stores Ltd. hardware dlrs. 10 High st. west
Ainsworth Hilda (Miss), milliner, 14 Norfolk st
Aitchlow Wm. farmer, Windy Harbour
Alexander Isabel (Mrs.), beer retlr. (off), 24 Arundel st
Allan Edwd. Jas. L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S.Glas. physcn. & surgn. & medical officer to the Post Office, 10 North rd. & 18 High st. east. T N 98
Allum Jas. T. farmer, 45 Hague st
Ancient Order of Foresters (Court Mersey, lodge No. 2493, Edwd. Gorman, sec.; Court Pride of the Valley, lodge No. 2403, Jn. Grad well, sec.) 1 Surrey st
Anderton Thos. farmer, Golf Links farm
Andrew Edwd. shopkpr. 110 Victoria st
Argenta Meat Co. Ltd. butchers, 5 Victoria st
Arnfield Herbert. Manor inn, 77 High street east
Arrowsmith Thomas, clog & patten ma. 132 High st. west
Ashton & Roberts, chartrd. accntnts. 6 Howard st. T N 67
Ashton Frank, Royal Oak P.H. Sheffield rd
Ashton Fredk. Denby, chartrd. accntnt. (firm, Ashton & Roberts), 6 Howard st. T N 67
Ashton George William, shopkeeper, 8 Gladstone street
Ashton J. assistant town clerk, Municipal bldgs
Ashton Regnld. fried fish dlr. 363 High st. west
Aspey Lilian (Miss), ladies’ hairdrssr. 59 Victoria st
Atchison Herbt. F.Q.O.P. optician (see Hall, Lloyd & Atchison), 134 Victoria st
Bagshaw A. & Son, cabnt. mkrs. 26 & 28 High st. west. T N 194
Bailey Jn. shopkpr. 44 St. Mary’s rd
Ballington Saml. Wm. butcher, 143 Gladstone st. T N 14
Bambury Chas. Norman, Bridge inn, 12 Market st
Barber John, coal dealer, 39 Gladstone street
Barclays Bank Ltd. (branch) (D. Morris Evans, mngr.), 1 High st. east (T N 139); head office, 54 Lombard st. London E C 3
Barker Jsph. farmer, Hobroyd
Barlow Herbert, tobacconist, 2 Charlestown road
Bartholomew Rt. fried fish dlr. 63 High st. west
Bates Ellis, boot repr. 102a, Victoria st
Battey Ernest, insur. agt. 37 Hope st
Bayley Edwin, costumier, 51 & 53 High st. west. T N 171
Beard Geo. Ernest, shopkpr. 89 Gladstone st
Beaumont Doris (Miss), baker, 142 St. Mary’s rd
Beaumont Thos. shopkpr. 30 Queen st
Bebbington Doris Edith (Mrs.), confctnr. 6 High st. west
Bebbington Geo. Wm. beer & wine retlr. Charlestown
Bennett Fred, farmer, Pikes farm
Bennett George, news agent, 199 High street east
Bennett Harriet Ann (Mrs.), greengro. 273 High st. west
Bennett Jas. picture frame mkr. 14a, High st. east
Bennett Martha Ellen (Miss), beer retailer, 96 Victoria street
Berry Mary & Hannah (Misses), shopkprs. 76 High st. east
Blackburn Sarah (Mrs.), fried fish dlr. 131 High st. west
Blakeley Emily (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 57 Whitfield cross
Boardman Elizah M. borough treas. & chief rating & valuation officer & treas. & accntnt. to the Education Committee, Municipal bldgs. T N 49
Boardman Frank, blacksmith, Manor st
Bond Beatrice (Miss), grocer, 385 High st. west
Booth Harold, butcher, 1 High st. east
Booth Jn. butcher, 84 Victoria st
Booth Wm. J. Globe hotel, 144 High st. west
Boots The Chemists, 19 High st. west
Borough of Glossop Education Office (Wm. S. A. Robinson sec.; H. Appleton, finance clerk; E. M. Boardman, treas. & accntnt.), Municipal bldgs. T N 58
Bowden Saml. T. farmer, Heath
Bowerbank E. J. manager Lloyd's Bank Ltd. Norfolk chmbrs. Henry st. T N 220
Bowers Doris (Mrs.), ladies’ hairdrssr. 114 Victoria st
Bowers Hy. house painter, 65 Victoria st
Bradbury Albert, farmer, Whitfield green
Bradbury Danl. E. Bee Hive inn, 35 Hague st
Bradbury Fred, shopkpr. 14 George st
Bradbury Wm. hairdrssr. The Arcade
Braddock Eli & Son, shipping agents, 55 High street east
Bradley Arth. grocer, 28 Freetown
Bradley Austin Watkins,fruitr. 8, & fishmngr. 10,High st. east. T N 192
Bramwell Fred, shopkpr. 43 Arundel st
Bridge Jas. Alston, assistant rating & valuation officer. Municipal bldgs
Bridge Matthew, greengrocer, 2 Wesley street
Brightmore Eva (Mrs.), midwife, 151 High st. east
Brooks Alice (Mrs.), Junction inn, 379 High st. west
Brown Geo. dentist, 11 Norfolk sq. T N 244
Brown Herbt. butcher see Thomley & Brown
Bruckshaw Wm. shopkpr. 28 Talbot st. T N 65
Buckley James Henry, pawnbroker, 38 High street east
Bunting Jn. shopkpr. 2 Silk st
Burdekin Frank, fried fish dlr. 62 Edward st
Burdekin Muriel (Mrs.), confctnr. 127 High st. west
Burke Rd. Jsph. M.P.C.Lond. masseur, 49 Norfolk st. T N 30
Bums Jas. shopkpr. 70 Freetown
Burton Montague (The Tailor of Taste Ltd.), tailors, 21 High st. west
Buxton G. B. registrar of marriages for Glossop district 6 Market st
Byrom Allen, market inspector & caretaker, Town hall
Byrom Jas. water inspector Town hall, High st. west
Byrom Jsph. confctnr. 53 High st. east
Callaghan Jn. provsn. dlr. 45 High st. west. T N 197
Carey Thos. Friendship inn, 5 Arundel st. T N 312
Carnall Wm. provsn. dlr. & sub-post office, 118 Victoria st
Cartwright Sarah Ann (Mrs.), draper, 94 High st. west
Cash & Co. (W. & E. Turner Ltd.), boot & shoe mkrs. 1 Victoria st
Cemetery, Cemetery rd. (Wm. S. A. Robinson, clerk); offices, Municipal bldgs
Chadwick Jn. shopkpr. 210 High st. west
Chadwick Rd. shopkpr. see Jones & Chadwick
Chanley Eliz. (Mrs.), fruitr. 37 High st. west
Charlesworth & Woodall Mesdames, girls’ & boys’ preparatory school, 4 Ellison st Charlesworth Fredk. butcher, 36 (T N 18) & 244 High st west. T N 172
Cheetham H. & Co. mineral water mfrs. Shrewsbury st
Child Welfare Centre (E. H. Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dubl. medical supt.), Municipal bldgs. T N 118
Clare Wm. fried fish shop, 20 High st. east
Clarkson Herbt. farmer
Coggin & Thornley, newsagt. 24 High st. east
Collier Joe Hill, beer retailer, 19 Charlestown road
Conner Nellie (Mrs.), shopkpr. 271 High st. west
Cooper Bros, butchers, 66 High st. west
Cooper Jn. grocer, 16 Princess st
Cooper Jn. Fras. tailor, 71 High st. west. T N 31
Cooper Roland, farmer, Lane Side farm
County Court Office (His Honour Cecil Jas. Frankland, judge; P. E. Ireland, registrar & high bailiff), 4 Market st
Cranshaw Oswald, metal brkr. Primrose la
Crowther Jas. teacher of music, Glenfield, King Edward’s av
Cumberland Ernest E. Star inn, 3 Norfolk st
Customs & Excise & Old Age Pensions Office (Jas. Snailham Samson, officer), Henry st
Cuthbert Hannah (Mrs.), farmer, Carr farm
Cuthbert Jn. H. estate agt. 25 Lord st
Dale Geo. newsagt. 90 Victoria st. T N 225
Dane Harry, sanitary, housing & meat inspector, & inspector under the Food & Drugs Acts & Dairies & Cowsheds Orders to the corporation, Municipal bldgs. T N 118
Darlington Jn. W. auctnr. & valuer & certified bailiff under the Law of Distress Amendment Act, Norfolk sq. T N 296
Davis Chas. & Son, solctrs. 10 Ellison st. T N 37
Dawson Tom, grocer, & sub-post office, 198 High st. west
Dearnaley Joseph, grocer, 25 High street west. T N 69
Deamley Irvine, painter, 49 High st. west. T N 124
Denlith Geo. insur. agt. 36 St. Mary’s rd
Derbyshire County Council Tuberculosis Dispensary (for medical officer, see Official section), Surrey st
Derbyshire Alfd. Edwd. house decrtr. 45 Norfolk st. & Surrey st
Dewsnap Walter, painter, 90 Edward street
Dinting Church Club (Thomas Richardson, sec.), High st. west
District Bank Ltd. (branch) (Arth. Sherlock, manager), Henry st. (T N 131); County Bank branch (Jn. W. Tregidga, manager), Norfolk sq. (T N 135); head office, Spring gdns. Manchester
Dixon Sydney, baker, 110 & 218 High st. west. T N 231
Dixon Wltr. assistant rating & valuation officer & collector, Municipal bldgs
Elim Four Square Gospel Alliance Home (Miss M. F. Barbour, supt.), Bethrapha, Spire Hollin
Elkan A. (Mrs.), mfng. optician, Arcade
Ellison Theo Walt, solctr. & commissioner for oaths, Easton, High st. east. T N 107
Empire (P. C. T.’s Ltd. proprs; S. A. Jones, resident mngr.), 60 High st. west. T N 114
Enright Jsph. H. beer retlr. 17 Gladstone st
Entwistle Harold Kersey, photographic dlr. 18 High st. west
Entwistle Nellie (Mrs.), fancy draper, 18 High street west
Etchells Alice (Mrs.), tobacconist, 20 Norfolk street
Evans D. Morris, mngr. Barclays Bank Ltd. 1 High st. east. T N 139
Fairclough Walter Peake Mus.Bac., F.R.C.O. professor of music, 92 St. Mary’s road
Farnsworth T. & Sons, fruitrs. 112 & 114 High st. west. T N 42
Farnworth Wm. confctnr. 23 High st. east
Faulds Geo. M.Inst.M., Cy.E. & R.S.I. borough surveyor & water works manager, Municipal bldgs. T N 150
Fennell’s, fried fish dlrs. 126 Pike’s la
Fenton Chas. Fredk. Vinten, clerk to North Western area Assessment Committee & registrar of births & deaths for Glossop district, 14 & 16 Ellison st. T N 74
Ferro Alloys & Metals Ltd. metal mfrs. Surrey st. T A “Alloyment;” T N 333
Fidler Eric, ladies’ hairdrssrs. 61 High st. west. T N 19
Fielding Edwin, greengro. 104 Victoria st
Fielding Esther Ann (Mrs.), baker, 40 High st. east
Fielding Frank, statnr. & post office, 29 Manor Park rd
Fielding Walt, shopkpr. 130 Pike’s la
Firth Harold D., L.D.S.Manc. dental surgeon, 77 Norfolk street. T N 89
Fish Jas. shopkpr. 5 Freetown
Fisher Charles E. & Son, joiners, Ellison street
Fletcher Wm. T. & Son, tripe dressers, 4 Charlestown rd. & High st. west. T N 141
Fletcher Ellen (Mrs.), shopkpr. 9 Charlestown
Ford Saml, shopkpr. 164 High st. west
Foy Jn. fishmngr. 24 Charlestown rd. T N 313
Free Library & Victoria Hall (F. A. Richards A.L.A. librarian), Fauvel rd
Freeman, Hardy & Willis Ltd. boot makers, 27 High st west
French Thos. plumber, 72 High st. east
Frost Ernest, insur. agt. 195 High st. east
Frost Jane (Mrs.), shopkpr. 20 Derby st
Fuller Nellie (Miss), milliner, 90 High st. west
Furniss Frank, auctnr. 8 Market st
Gadd Geo. Fredk. & Chas Douglas, motor car garage, Tum lee rd. T N 214
Garlick Matthew & Albert, coal merchants, Railway yard
Garlick Saml. Edwin, insur. agt. 17 Surrey st
Garside Harold, watch & clock mkr. 39 High st. west. T N 243
Garside Joseph, farmer, Lees Hall farm
Gas Co. (Benjamin Goddard, manager; Walter Townend, sec.), Arundel street (T N 85); show rooms, 84 High street west
Gibbons Harry, boot maker, 16a, High street east
Glossop Advertiser (Glossop Printers Ltd. proprs. & publishers ; published Friday), 6 Howard st. T N 67
Glossop Bill Posting Co. Ltd. 149a, High st. west
Glossop Carriage Co. Ltd. (The), funeral furnishers, coach & motor proprietors, 16 Howard street. T N 59
Glossop Carters’ & Motormen’s Social Club (A. Ross, sec.), 13 Bernard st
Glossop Conservative Club (Frank Furniss, sec.), 22 Norfolk st. T N 213
Glossop Cricket Club (Wm. Stapley, see.), Spire Hollin ho. Spire Hollin
Glossop Dale Chronicle (Glossop Printers Ltd. proprs. & publishers; published friday), 6 Howard st. T N 67
Glossop & District Co-operative Society Ltd. (J. T. Hyde, sec.), Norfolk sq. (T N 15); 13, 14, 46 & 48 & 369 High st. west; 20 Charlestown rd.; Manor Park rd.; Pike’s la.; Church st. south; 106 Gladstone st. & 47 Surrey st.; registered office, 2 Railway st
Glossop & District Golf Club (Jas. H. Butterworth, sec)
Glossop Football Club {J. Oldham, sec.), North rd
Glossop Glove Co. Ltd. glove mfrs. George st. T N 105
Glossop Grammar School (Chas. H. Chambers B.Sc.Eng. head master), Talbot st. T N 245
Glossop, Hadfield & District Allotments Association Limited (John H. Cuthbert, sec.), 25 Lord street
Glossop Labour Club (Joe Austin, sec.), 7 & 9 Railway st
Glossop Liberal Club (John H. Cuthbert, sec.), Henry street. T N 66 .
Glossop Motor Co. Ltd. motor engineers. Arundel st. T N 48
Glossop Perpetual Building Society (The) (A. Goldthorpe, sec.), 12 Ellison st. T N 319
Glossop Printers Limited (J. T. Whitham, sec.), printers, 6 Howard st. T N 67
Glossop Social Club Limited (W. Bramall, sec.), 4 & 6 Ellison street
Glossop Social Service Club (Herbt. Mort, sec.), Market st
Glossop Women’s Unionist Association (Mrs. Nichols, sec.), 22 Norfolk st
Goddard Jn. Cyril & Ethel (Mrs.), tobccnsts. 80 High st. west
Goddard S. & Sons, bldrs. Surrey st. T N 181
Goddard Harry, draper, 42 High st. west. T N 294
Godfrey Alex. Chas. com dlr. 38 High st. west
Goldthorpe Arth. estate agt. 12 Ellison st. T N 319
Goldthorpe Sami, grocer, 33 Charles st
Goodwin Evelyn, baker, 112 High st. east
Gorick Wm. Jn. beer retlr. 78 High st. west
Grange Marshall, fried fish dlr. 60 Victoria st
Grant Jsph. Surrey Arms P.H. 67 High st. west. T N 191
Green Chas. W. millinery mfr. 13 & 15 Railway st
Green Frank, shopkpr. 36 Hadfield st
Greenhalgh H. & Co. Ltd. dyers & cleaners, 31 High st. west
Greensmith Rt. Collier, chief constable of borough police, inspector under Diseases of Animals Act, inspector of hackney carriages, chief weights & measures officer & supt. of fire brigade, Ellison st. T N 57
Greensmith Wm. boot repr. 33 Princess st
Greenwood’s, clothier, 41 & 43 High st. west
Greenwood Hy. F.A.A. accntnt. 15 Norfolk st T N 178
Greenwood Jn. (Brick Works) Co. Ltd. brick mkrs. Railway st. & reg. offices, 15 Norfolk st. T N 125
Greenwood Jn. quarry owner, Railway st. (T N 125) & Lees Hall, Shirehall & Mouslow quarries
Gregory Chas. Hardy, shopkpr. 185 High st. west
Gregory Samuel H. farmer, Jumble farm
Hadfield Alice, Ada & Ann (Misses), grocers, 60 High st. east
Hadfield & Cawkwell, archtcts. Norfolk sq
Hadfield J. & Sons, wood bedstead mkrs. Derby st. T A “Hadfield, Glossop 86 ;” T N 86
Hadfield Thos. & Son, drapers, 15 High st. west. T N 167
Hadfield Cycle Co. cycle agts. & dlrs. 82 High st. west
Hadfield Abner, farmer, Cowbrook, Sheffield rd
Hadfield Alice (Miss), shopkeeper, 61 Hague street, Whitfield
Hadfield Eli, wire mattress mkr. George st
Hadfield Hannah (Miss), herbalist, 14 Charlestown rd
Hadfield James Hyde, Surrey Arms P.H. 133 Victoria street
Hadfield Jn. beer retlr. 1 Market st. & 23 High st. west
Hadfield John, boot maker, 97 High street east
Hadfield Jsph. M.B. & C.M.Aberd. physcn. & surgn. & med­cal officer No. 1 district, North-Western Area Public Assistance Committee & medical officer Glossop Institution, Hollincross la. T N 79
Hadfield Wm. Bruce, supt. registrar of births, deaths & marriages for district of Glossop, 6 Market st. T N 81
Hadwin Harry, patent scrimp rails, Howard st. T N 122
Haigh & Shortland, motor car proprs. 1 Gladstone st. T N 112
Haigh James William, costumier, 30 High street west
Haigh Thos. farmer, 60 Hague st
Halifax Building Society (Wltr. Swift, agt.); branch office, Norfolk st
Hall Alice (Miss) & Wharmby Walter, bakers, 28 Gladstone st
Hall, Lloyd & Atchison, opticians, 134 Victoria st
Hall Agnes (Mrs.) F.Q.O.P. optician, see Hall, Lloyd & Atchison
Hall Amy (Mrs.), shopkpr. 105 High st. east
Hall Jas. Arth. ladies’ hairdrssr. 12 High st. east
Hall Jsph. hairdrssr. 242 High st. west
Hall Wm. shopkpr. 7 Primrose la
Hallam Frank, dairyman, 1 Charlestown road
Hallam Jas. T. farmer, Hob Hill farm
Hallsworth Hannah (Mrs.), baker, 8 Manor Park rd
Hammond Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr. 5 George st
Hampson Jn. & Son, furniture removers, Hague st. Whitfield & Surrey st
Hampson Chas. F. artificial teeth repr. 38 Gladstone st
Hampson Edith (Miss), dressma. see Kinder, Storey & Hampson (Misses)
Hampson Ernest, shopkpr. 106 Pike’s la
Hancock Beatrice (Mrs.), dressma. 57 Pike’s la
Hancock Edwin, beer retlr. 1 Whitfield cross
Harding Eliza (Mrs.), milliner, 4 Norfolk street
Harrison Abel Limited, coal merchants, Surrey street (T N 47) & Hadfield railway station
Harrison Chas. Smith, grocer, 122 High st. west. T N 202
Harrison Jas. deputy supt. registrar of births, deaths & marriages, 6 Market st
Harrop Jas. Easton, farmer, Hill Top farm
Harrop Thos. Bull’s Head P.H. 72 Church st
Hartley Archbld. Smith, baker & pastrycook, Victoria st. T N 301
Hazlewood Fras. hairdrssr. 2 Edward st
Hayes Alfd. Rose & Crown P.H. 89 High st. west
Heap Amelia (Mrs.), shopkpr. 6 Chapel st
Heap Thornton, statnr. 81 High st. west
Heap Wm. motor engnr. see Newton & Heap Ltd
Heathcote Sarah Ann (Mrs.), ladies’ hairdrssr. 99 High st. west. T N 327
Hesketh Frances (Mrs.), fried fish dlr. 1 Kershaw st
Higginbottom Tom & Son, farmers, Betten hill
Higginbottom Jn. S. milliner, 17 High st. west
Higginbottom Tom, hair dresser. 85 Victoria street
High Peak Advertiser (Glossop Printers Ltd. proprs. & publishers ; published friday), 6 Howard st. T N 67
High Peak Chronicle (Glossop Printers Ltd. proprs. & publishers ; published friday), 6 Howard st. T N 67
High Peak Division Liberal Association (Geo. Watts, sec. & agt.), 38 Norfolk st. T N 198
Higinbottom Hy. F.B.O.A., F.N.A.O., F.I.O. optician, Talbot villas, Talbot st
Hinchcliffe Annie (Mrs.), draper, 62 Pike’s la
Hinchcliffe Ethel (Mrs.), ladies’ hairdrssr. 7 George st. T N 242
Hinchliff Harold, shopkpr. 76 Charlestown rd
Holliday & Pickup, insur. brkrs. Barclays Bank bldgs. Norfolk st. T N 127
Holt W. (Burnley) Ltd. billiard rooms, 119 High street east
Holt Ernest, insur. agt. 32 St. Mary’s rd
Hope Frank, poultry dlr. 70 Victoria st
Hope Sydney, solctr. (firm, Chas. Davis & Son), 10 Ellison st. T N 37
Hordley Herbt. farmer, Ashes
Horsfall Edwd. solctr. & commissioner for oaths, Norfolk sq
Howarth Thos. Station hotel, 32 Norfolk st. T N 140
Hudson Ernest, insur. agt. 16 Sunlaws st
Hughes Ethel May (Mrs.), shopkpr. 1 Princess st
Hunters (The Teamen) Ltd. grocers, 40 High st. west
Hurst Albt. outfitter, 32 High st. west
Hurst Wltr. fried fish dlr. 72 High st. west
Hurst Wltr. tailor, 9 High st. east. T N 229
Hyde Joe, fried fish shop, 137 Gladstone st
Ireland Percy E. solctr. & commissioned to administer oaths, registrar & high bailiff to Glossop county court, & clerk to the county & borough magistrates, 6 Market st. T N 81
Jackson Isaac & Sons Limited, belt fastener manufacturers, Hawkshead mills. T A “Fastener, Glossop;” Tel. Nos. 91 & 92
Jackson Levi & Sons Ltd. rope & twine mfrs. Hobroyd. T N 68
Jackson Mary H. (Miss), chiropodist, 59 Sheffield rd
Jackson Rt. Edwd. M.B., Ch.B.L’pool, physcn. & surgn. 93 High st. west. T N 111
James A. & L. (Misses), ladies’ outfitters, 71a, High st. west. T N 326
Jepson Herbt. hairdrssr. 12 Charlestown rd
Jones & Chadwick, shopkeepers, 35 Princess street
Jones Albt. Ernest, tripe dresser, 166 High st. west
Joyce Ernest, fried fish dlr. Duke st
Judge Herbt. Jn. shopkpr. 8 Collier st
Kay Edith (Mrs.), shopkpr. 82 Gladstone st
Keg Estates Ltd. (Stanley Roberts, sec.), 6 Howard st
Kennedy Margaret (Miss), shopkeeper, 225 High street west
Kennington & Son, tobacconists, Town Hall buildings, High street west
Kennington Jn. wallpaper dlr. 54 High st. west
Kilner J. T., A.M.Inst.M. & Cy.E. assistant borough surveyor, Municipal bldgs
Kinder, Storey & Hampson Misses, dressmkrs. 79 High st. west
Kingsmoor School (Geo. Raymond Swaine, head master), girls’ & boys’ boarding school. T N 217
Kirk William, hardware dealer, 165 High street east
Knott Jn. & Brother, boot mkrs. 91 High st. west
Knott Walt, hardware dlr. 108 Victoria st
Knowles Florence (Mrs.), shopkpr. 124 St. Mary’s rd
Lancashire Jn. H. Grapes inn, 305 High st. west
Langford Wm. Hy. baker, 85 High st. east
Latham & Waterhouse, grocers, 25 Norfolk st
Lawler Hy. fruitr. 377 High st. west. T N 303
Lawless Rd. butcher, 16 High st. east
Leach’s Dance Studio, 34 High st. east
Leach Jn. Arth. shopkpr. 21 Freetown
Leatherbarrow Jas. medical botanist, 136 High st. west
Lees C. & F. bakers, 104 High st. west T N 238
Lester Jas. greengro. 74 High st. west. T N 169
Lester Joe, fruitr. 140 High st. west
Lievens Rt. draper, Victoria st
Littler Evelyn (Mrs.), grocer, 10 Gladstone st
Lloyd Thos. G., F.Q.O.P. optician, see Hall, Lloyd & Atchison
Lloyds Bank Ltd. (E. J. Bowerbank, manager), Norfolk chmbrs. Henry st. (T N 220); head office 71 Lombard st. London E C 3
Lonsdale Rt. fried fish dlr. 119 High st. west
Lord J. H. & Son, bakers, 16 High st. west. T N 223
Lowe Lilian (Miss), wool dlr. 86 High st. west
McKeown Felix Quinn M.C., M.B., Ch.B.L’pool, physcn. & surgn. 25 Victoria st. T N 82
McKinlay Finlay, chemist, 7 High st. west. T N 44
McShannon Jn. J., M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O., D.P.H.Belf. physcn. & surgn. Loch Maree, North rd. T N 75
Malloch Peter Edwin L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S. Glas., L.D.S.R.C.S.Edin. physcn. & surgn. 84 St. Mary’s rd. & 14 High st. west. T N 46
Manns Sidney, watch & clock repr. 3 George st
Marsh Wm. Hill, newsagt. 123 High st. west
Marshall Jn. Hy. plumber, 226 High st. west
Marsland Hilda (Mrs.), confctnr. 2 Jordan st
Martin John Thomas, optician, 73 High street west
Mason Edith (Miss), teacher of pianoforte, 17 Shrewsbury st
Masonic Lodge (Devonshire Lodge, No. 625) (Geo. Hy. Wilson, sec.), Norfolk sq
Massey D. & Son, ironmngrs. 22 High st. east. T N 246
Maternity & Child Welfare Centre (Ernest Hy. Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dublin, medical officer), Municipal bldgs. T N 118
Mather Chas. Albion hotel, 15 Victoria st
Matthews Clara (Mrs.), china & glass dlr. 21 High st. east
May Thomas & Sons, basket & skip makers, 53 Victoria street
Maypole Dairy Co. Limited, dairymen, Town Hall buildings, High street west
Melias Ltd. grocers, 24 High st. west
Mellor J. A. & Sons, bldrs. Market st
Mellor Thos. beer retlr. High st. west
Metcalfe Jn. parks supt. North rd
Middleton Brothers, builders, Victoria street. T N 78
Middleton Thos. boot repr. 252 High st. west
Milburn Tom, beer retlr. 40 Pike’s la
Milligan Ernest Hy. Marcus M.D.Belf., L.R.C.P. & S.Irel., L.M., D.P.H.Dublin, medical officer of health to borough, medical supt. of Maternity & Child Welfare Centre & to the Isolation Hospital, Partington Convalescent & Nurses’ Home, Woods Hospital & school medical officer, Municipal bldgs. T N 118
Ministry of Labour Employment Exchange (Egerton Doodson, manager), Victoria street. T N 83
Minshull Eleanor (Mrs.), shopkpr. 36 Church st
Mitchell & Davis, cafe, 12 Norfolk st
Moore Henry, boot repairer, 11 Victoria street
Moorhouse Annie (Mrs.), ladies’ hairdrssr. 73 High st. east
Moscrop Noah, jeweller, 47 High st. west
Moss Danl. newsagt. 35 Edward st
Mottram Sarah (Mrs.), midwife, 16 Talbot st
Mullin & Smith, grindery dealers, 92 High street west
Myer Hannah (Mrs.), outfitter, 16 Charlestown rd
Needham Frank Edmnd. battery engnr. Oak st. & wireless dlr. 22 High st. west T N 120
New Economy Store, bazaars, 34 High st. west
Newton & Heap Ltd. motor engnrs. 25 & 100 & 102 High st. east. T N 180
Newton Wm. & Co. corn mers. Surrey st. T N 170
Nicholson Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr. 62 Victoria st
Nield Bros, wireless dlrs. 121 High st. west
Nield J. J. & Son, ironmngrs. 125 High st. west & blacksmiths, Brook st
Norbury John Harry, Wheat Sheaf inn, 16 Wellgate
Norfolk Arms Hotel (Geo. Wm. Miller), Norfolk sq. T N 106
NORFOLK LAUNDRY (THE) (Waterhouse & Higginbottom, proprietors), Ellison street. T N 17
North Western Road Car Co. Ltd. motor bus proprs. 4 High 6t. east. T N 196
Northern (The) Firelighter Co. Limited, “briquette” firelighter manufacturers & merchants, Whitfield cross. T N 205
O’Brien Jsph. baker, 112 Victoria st
Oddfellows’ Hall & Social Institute (Harold Cooper, sec.), 68 High st. west
Old Glossop Cricket Club (Jn. Pearson, sec.), Sheffield rd
Oldfield Harry, sheet metal worker, 12 George st
Oldfield Harvey, butcher, 124 Victoria st
Oldham Street Working Men’s Club (John Hadfield, sec.), Oldham street
Oldham Arth. Cecil, relieving officer for Glossop district & collector to the North-Western Area Assessment Committee 14 & 16 Ellison st. T N 74
O’Learoy Wm. fruitr. 123 High st. east
Olive & Partington Limited, paper makers, Turn Lee & Dover mills. T A’s “Pino, Glossop” & “Chromo, Glossop;” T N’s 101 & 102
Oliver W. & Sons, ironmngrs. 85 & 87 High st. west. T N 90
O’Neill T. & Son, cycle dlrs. 3 High st. east. T N 215
O’Neill Thos. & Son, hardwares, 62a, Victoria st. T N 215
Orme Flora Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr. 20 Church st
Orme Joe, painter, 40 Mount st
Orme Jn. shopkpr. 27 Sheffield rd
Orme Jsph. S. fried fish dlr. 170 High st. west
Orme William, plumber, 105 St. Mary’s road
Overend Harry, confctnr. 56 & 58 High st. west
Page Gladys (Miss), ladies’ hairdrssr. 6 Norfolk st
Page Solomon, hair dresser, 6 Norfolk street
Partington Convalescent & Nurses’ Home (Ernest Hy. Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dublin, medical supt.; Miss B. Finnerty, matron), North rd. T N 53
Pass Jesse, boot repr. 51a, High st. east
Peak Radio & Relay Services (Penny & Zolland, proprs.), 65 High st. west. T N 185
Peck Geo. Wm. 5 High st. east. T N 216
Pell Annie (Miss), milliner, 33 High st. west
Pell William, boot maker, 52 High street west
Peters Rt. herbalist, 138 Victoria st
Pickup Fredk. insur. broker, see Holliday & Pickup
Plant Jas. Wm. beer retlr. 14 Milltown
Platt Fred & Son, bakers, 5 Shrewsbury st. T N 284
Platt Geo. Queen’s Arms P.H. 1 Shepley st. T N 149
Platt Jas. Edwd. coal mer. 11 Railway st. T N 128
Platt Jsph. (Mrs.), boarding ho. Lees hall
Polwin Evelyn (Miss), shopkpr. 29 Gladstone st
Potter Frank, Howard Arms P.H. 17 High st. east
Potts & Goddard, bldrs. Shepley st
Pownall’s, boot reprs. 36 & 38 Victoria st
Pownall Stanley, newsagt. 26 Princess st
Presentation Convent (Sister Angela, superior), Church street
Price Danl. baker, 136 Victoria st
Price James William, shopkeeper, 17 Freetown
Prince Alice & Annie (Misses), confctnrs. 70 Charlestown rd
Public Baths (Silvester Whitehead, supt.), Howard pk. T N 292
Public Weighbridge (F. Smith, weigher), Railway yard
Ralph Gordon, taxi-cab propr. 12 Howard st. T N 129
Ralph Sam, outfitter, 12 Howard st
Ratcliffe Lawrence Ormerod, painter, 149 High st. west
Read Jane (Miss), shopkeeper, 31 Chapel street
Redfern Ann (Miss), china dealer, 75 High street west
Refuge Assurance Co. Ltd. district office (Jas. W. A. McMillan, supt.), 12 Norfolk sq. T N 322
Rideal Ltd. chemists, 102 High st. west. T N 97
Riley Joe, greengro. 12 Freetown
Riley Margery Ann (Mrs.), confctnr. 14 High st. east
Roberts Fredk. baker, 72 Victoria st
Roberts Stanley, chartrd. accntnt. (firm, Ashton & Roberts), 6 Howard st. T N 67
Robinson & Wood, tailors, 2 High st. east & Victoria st
Robinson Eric, photographer, 6 High st. east
Robinson Harold, plumber, 8 Norfolk st
Robinson Thos. H. coal mer. Railway yard
Robinson Wm. H. stamp distributor, Post office, Victoria st
Robinson Wm. S. A. solctr. town clerk, clerk to Cemetery Committee, sec. to Education Committee & clerk to Grammar School Board, Municipal bldgs. T N 58
Roscoe Wm. newsagt. 130 High st. west
Rose Green Working Men’s Club (Fredk. G. Bradley, sec.), Silk st
Ross Alec, shopkpr. 26 Gladstone st
Rowbottom James Ltd cotton spinners, Hurst mills. T N 8 Rowbottom S. & Co. Limited, cotton spinners, Meadow mills. T N 7
Rowbottom Jn. Ratcliffe, fried fish shop, 211 High st. east
Rowbottom Nellie (Miss), ladies’ hairdrssr. 18 Norfolk st
Rowland Wltr. beer retlr. 1 & 3 Bernard st
Royal London Mutual Insurance Society Ltd.; district office (H. B. McMinn, supt.), 41 High st. east
Ryan Paul, draper, 116 Victoria st
Samson Jas. Snailham, customs, excise & old age pensions officer, Henry st
Sandham Louis, shopkpr. 6 Charlestown
Savage Saml. O. florist, 55 High st. west. T N 248
Scholes Geo. butcher, 117 High st. west. T N 208
Sellers Norman, motor engnr. Reliance garage, Turnlee rd. T N 222
Senior James Henry, hair dresser, 70 High street west
Seville Jn. & Sons, funeral directors, 39 Sheffield rd
Shallcross Herbt. electrcl. engnr. 9 Victoria st. T N 224
Shaw William, farmer, Whitfield barn
Sheldon Robert, farmer, Brownhill farm
Shelton Geo. shopkpr. 35 Gladstone st
Shephard Geo. G. shopkpr. Sheffield rd
Shepherd Annie (Mrs.), fried fish dlr. 16 Norfolk st
Sherlock Arth. manager District Bank Ltd. Henry st. T N 131
Sherry’s Dairy Co. Limited, dairymen, 35 High street west
Shorrock Isaac, baker, 142 High st. west
Shortland Robert, motor car proprietor, see Haigh & Shortland
Shuttleworth Alice (Mrs.), fried fish shop, 79 High st. east
Siddall Geo. farmer, Cliffe rd
Siddall Thos. Pott, baker, 2 Shepley st
Sidebottom D. & T. joiners, 1 Pike’s la. & Victoria st. T N 184
Sidebottom Jas. grocer, 146 St. Mary’s rd
Sidebottom Joseph Hadfield, school attendance officer, Education offices, Municipal buildings
Singer Sewing Machine Co. Limited, sewing machine dealers, 29 High street west
Sisters of Charity of St. Paul Convent (Mother Stanislaws, superior), Shaw st
Slater Fredk. Commercial inn, Charlestown
Slattery Esther (Miss), shopkpr. 41 Duke st
Smith Jas. & Sons (Cleaners) Ltd. 44 High st. west
Smith W.H. & Son Ltd. newsagts. Railway station, Norfolk st
Smith Geo. Wm. hairdrssr. 96 High st. west
Smith Herbt. A. dentist, 53 Norfolk st. T N 301
Smith Mary (Mrs.), grindery dealer, see Mullin & Smith Social Club & Institute (Frank Macdonald, hon. sec.), 101 High st. east
Speed Geo. baker, 45 Bernard st
Spencer Fred, hairdrssr. 13 Victoria st
Spencer Wm. farmer, Wimberry hill
Spread Eagle Building Society (Jas. Edwin Hall, sec.), Norfolk st
Sumner Francis & Co. (1920) Limited, cotton spinners & manufrs. Wren Nest mills. T A “Remus, Glossop;” T N 10
Swallow Fred, newsagt. 240 High st. west
Swallow Hy. fried fish dlr. 140 Victoria st
Swift Wltr. accntnt. Barclays Bank bldgs. Norfolk st
Swindells Eli, draper, 238 High st. west
Swire Jn. & Sons, boot & shoe mkrs. 8 High st. west. T N 109
Swire Henry, clog & patten maker, 21 Victoria street
Swire John Oswald, butcher, 83 High street east
Sykes Phyllis (Mrs.), shopkpr. 9 Hope st
Tattersall John, taxi proprietor, complete funeral furnisher & weddings, 11 Fauvel road. T N 311
Taylor A. B. & Son, haulage contrctrs. Charlestown. T N 70
Taylor Eliz. (Mrs.), shopkpr. 81 High st. east
Taylor Ernest Rt. L.D.S.Manc. dental surgn. 40 Norfolk st. T N 4
Taylor Lizzie Helen (Mrs.), boarding ho. 180 High st. east
Taylor Squire, dining rooms, 57 High street west
Taylor Win. butcher, 74 Victoria st. T N 153
Thom Jas. & Son, coal mers. 33 Norfolk st. & Surrey st. T N 93
Thompson Arth. B. baker, 213 High st. west
Thornby & Brown, butchers, 55 Hollincross la
Thornley Leslie, newsagt. see Coggin & Thornley
Thornley Wm. Thos. boot dlr. 201 High st. east
Thorp Walter & Son, coal merchants, Henry street & Railway yard. T N 52
Tilburn Jas. Herbt. metal brkr. Burnside, Dinting rd. & Howard’s pl. T N 132
Timperley Jsph. baker, 38 Pike’s la
Tongue Harry, boot repr. Wood st
Torkington W. & Son, fishmngrs. 68 High st. west
Town Hall (Allen Byrom, caretaker), High street west
Travis Jane (Mrs.), shopkpr. 2 Whitfield cross
Tregidga Jn. W. manager District Bank Ltd. (County Bank branch), Norfolk sq. T N 135
Turner Wltr. fruitr. 26 High st. east. T N 266
Tweedale Fredk. wireless dlr. Victoria st. T N 251
Unemployment Assistance Board, 8 Henry st
Urban Electric Supply Co. Limited (The), electrical engineers, 5 High st. west. T N 34
Victoria Hall (Edwd. Thompson, caretaker), Fauvel rd
Vol Crepe Ltd. boot & shoe mkrs. Milltown. T N 251
Wain & Son, fancy drapers, 59 High street west
Wain Edward Joseph, monumental mason, Simmondley la
Walker Hy. boot repr. 70a, Charlestown rd
Walker Jn. Edwd. shopkpr. 49 King st
Walmsley Jas. shopkpr. 52 Hollincross la
Walshaw Arth. grocer, 100 High st. west
Walton John (of Glossop) Limited, bleachers, Charlestown works. T N’s 271 & 272
Warner Leonard, Commercial inn, 137 Manor Park rd
Warren Herbt. farmer, Ashes
Warrington Walt, butcher, 19 High st east. T N 210
Water Works (Geo. Faulds M.I.M. & Cy.E. mngr.), Municipal bldgs. T N 150
Watts Geo. sec. & agt. for High Peak Divisional Liberal Association, 38 Norfolk st. T N 198
Wearing Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr. 20 Wellgate
Webb Jsph. shopkpr. 131 Manor Park rd
Weston Thos. Wltr. cooked meat dlr. 20 High st. west
Wharmby G. & Sons, oil & lamp dlrs. 27 Manor Park rd
Wharmby Ronald, tobccnst. 98 High st. west
Whiteley Alice (Mrs.). draper. 197 High street east
Whitfield Church House (J. Fletcher, sec.), 18 Charlestown rd
Whitfield Church Institute (Albt. Priestly, caretaker), Chapel st
Whitfield Free Library (branch library) (Chas. Howard, caretaker), Freetown
Whitfield Parish Hall (Rd. Meadow, sec.), Kershaw st
Whitfield Working Men’s Club (Jas. Taylor, sec.), 86 Wood st
Wild Ralph & Sons, tripe dressers, 1 Collier st. & 4 High st. west
Wilkinson Harvey, Crown hotel, 142 Victoria st
Willey Jn. W. C. & Son, cabnt. mkrs. 17 Norfolk st. & 12 George st
Willey Burton, cabinet mkr. 48 Arundel st
Wilson & Bates, aerated water mfrs. Howard st. & wine & spirit mers. 10 Norfolk sq. T N 88
Wilson Robert Ltd. bakers, 174 High st. west. T N 20
Wilson Geo. Hy. solctr. & commssnr. for oaths, clerk to Longdendale Urban District Council & deputy coroner for the High Peak Hundred division of the county, Norfolk sq. T N 43
Wood Brothers (Glossop) Ltd. cotton spinners & mfrs. Howard Town mills, Victoria st. T N 22
Wood’s Hospital (Wm. S. A. Robinson (town clerk), sec.; for list of medical staff, see Official section), Howard park, T N 36
Wood Frank, joiner, Turnlee rd
Wood Wm. Griffith, fried fish dlr. 106 Victoria st
Wood Zaccheus, farmer, Gnat hole
Woodhead Eric, insur. agt. 128 St. Mary’s rd
Woodhead George, butcher, 141 Victoria street. T N 8b
Woodhouse Abishai, butcher, 36 Church st. south. T N 134
Woolley Rt. Edwd. butcher, 77 High st. west. T N 236
Woolworth F. W. & Co. Ltd. bazaar, High st. west
Wright Hannah (Miss), shopkpr. 191 High st. west
Wrigley Sarah (Mrs.), shopkpr. 104 Pike’s la
Yates Arth. shopkpr. 1 Edward st

BROOKFIELD.
Robinson Rev. John Henry (Congregational), 10 Shepley street
COMMERCIAL.
Ankers Ada Jane (Miss), shopkpr. 110 Brookfield
Brookfield Working Men’s Club (Edwd. Brooks, sec.), 58 Brookfield
Clayton Jessie (Mrs.), shopkpr. 117 Brookfield
Cooper Thos. A. insur. agt. 38 Brookfield
Elliott Mary (Mrs,),shopkpr.2 Brookfield
Humphries Jn. Edwd. motor engnr. 26 Brookfield. Glossop 234
Leach Wm. J. shopkpr. 96 Brookfield
Robinson Wm. dairyman, 126 Brookfield
Skelton Charles Ltd. motor haulage contrctrs. 2 Brookfield. Glossop 279

CHUNAL.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
(For T N see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Francis William Roberts, Bank house
COMMERCIAL.
Goodwin Wm. farmer, Sandy Bank farm
Green Thomas, farmer
Hallam Edgar, farmer
Robinson Wm. farmer
Simpson Saml. Grouse inn
Steers Jas. farmer, Horse Shoe farm

DINTING.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(For T N’s see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Beever Alec, Rydal Mount, Dinting road
Birch Arthur Edwin, 101 Shaw lane
Butterworth James H. 99 Shaw lane
Cooper Cecil H. 105 Shaw lane
Davis Mrs. Park dene, Dinting road
Fenton Charles F. V. Viaduct house, Dinting vale
Fitchford William H. Norwood, Dinting road
Harvey Roland Michael, Lyonesse, Dinting road
Heaton John Stanley, 107 Shaw lane
Holliday Clifford, Laverstoke, Dinting rd
Milligan Ernest Henry Marcus M.D.Belf. Dinting lodge
Williamson James, 103 Shaw lane
COMMERCIAL.
Allen Joe & Sons, painters, 101 Dinting vale
Bennett Alfred, farmer
Greenwood John (Brick Works) Co. Ltd. brick mkrs. Mouslow brickworks
Guthrie Eliza (Mrs.), shopkpr. 2 Dinting vale
Harrop Jas. (Mrs.), farmer, Hill top
Hoyle Thomas, farmer, Hill top
Lackey Jas. shopkpr. 29 Dinting vale
Marsden Edwin, farmer
Pooler Jas. Plough inn, 107 Dinting vale
Potter Edmund & Co. Ltd. (branch of the Calico Printers’ Association Ltd.), calico printers. T N Glossop 12
Rothwell Lester, boot repr. 17 Dinting vale
Sidebottom Wm. shopkpr. 79 Dinting vale
Walton Jacob, farmer, Shaw farm

GAMESLEY.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
(For T N see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Cuthbert Mrs. Gamesley house
COMMERCIAL.
Chapman Edgar, shopkpr. 29 Cottage la
Chorlton Annie C. newsagt. 9 Glossop rd
Crabtree Eliz. (Mrs.), shopkpr. 1 Cottage la
Crabtree Geo. private gardener to Mrs. Cuthbert, 1 Cottage la
Fox Jas. shopkpr. 97 Glossop rd
Glossop & District Co-operative Society Limited (The)
Gould Joe, farmer
Grimshaw John, baker
Hadfield Walt, coal dlr. Cottage la
Jackson Thos. farmer, Fold farm
Mackerill Alice (Mrs.), corsetière , 78 Cottage la
Marsden Albert, farmer
Phiby Jas. Adam, insur. agt. 92 Cottage la
Pilkington Harry S. Magnet inn, Glossop rd
Walton Herbt. & Miss Eliz. farmers

HADFIELD.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(For T N’s see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Bollans R. Wilfred M.B.Vict., J.P. 87 Station road
Coulter Rev. Samuel Thomas (curate), 42 Brosscroft
Ellis Rev. Edward (Roman Catholic), The Presbytery
Fenton Miss Norah E., M.B., Ch.B., B.A.O.Dub. 29 Station road
Hadfield Wm. Bruce, 305 Hadfield road
Heaton William, 118 Hadfield road
Jackson Thomas, Chomlea,Hadfield road
Laurie Kenneth Somerville, The Thorns, Park road
Pollard Vernon, 120 Hadfield road
Siddalls Frank H. 116 Hadfield road
Struthers John Watson M.B. 124 Hadfield road
Taylor George William, Oaklands, New Shaw lane
White Rev. Archibald Campbell Macalister L.Th. (vicar & surrogate), Vicarage, Hadfield cross
Wilman Jonas Ernest, Mersey bank

Marked thus * should be addressed Hollingworth, Manchester

COMMERCIAL.
Early closing day, Tuesday.
Aldous T. & Son, joiners, 2 Hadfield rd. (Glossop 5); Railway st, & Station rd
Anderson Nancy (Mrs.), midwife, 4 Kiln la
Bamforth Wm. joiner, 7 Kiln la. (Glossop 250) & Station rd
Bardsley Elsie (Mrs.), confctnr. 69 Newshaw la
Barlow Jas. boot repr. 112 Station rd
Belfield Jas. shopkpr. 52 Brosscroft
Bennett Thos. & Son, general drapers 98 & 100, & house furnishers 102, Station rd
Bennett Benjamin, smith, see Wilde & Bennett
Bennett Jn. I. farmer
Bentham Emma (Miss), toy dealer, 33 Station road
Bentham Tom, stationer, 47 Station road
Berry Bartholomew, newsagt. 22 Bank st
Billinge Joseph, saddler, 108 Station road
Blockridge Harry Edwin, outfitter, 121 Station rd
Bollans Rt. Wilfred M.B., Ch.B.Vict., J.P. surgn. & medical officer to No. 2 district North-Western Area Public Assistance Committee, 89 Station rd. Glossop 28
Booth Leonard, pork butcher, 117 Station rd
Braddock Jn. chemist, 31 Station rd. Glossop 173
Bradshaw Eliz. (Mrs.), confctnr. 3 Brosscroft
Bramald Ellis, haberdasher, 390 Hadfield road
Breeze George, boot repairer, 1 Church street
Broadbent & McDonnell, painters & decrtrs. 99 Woolley Bridge rd
*Brookes Frank, hairdrssr. Woolley bridge
Cartwright Frank & Wltr. electrcl. engnrs. 26 The Avenue
Chadwick Harry, baker, 238 Woolley Bridge rd
Convent of Sisters of St. Paul, Woolley Bridge road Cox Lottie (Mrs.), second hand booksllr. 8 & 10 Waterside
Critchlow Wm. T. coal dlr. 2 Park rd
Cullen Jas. shopkpr. 32 Railway st
Cumberland Annie (Mrs.), beer retlr. (off), 421 Hadfield rd
Daniel Albert, blacksmith, Albert street
Dempsey Ada (Miss), baker, 103 Station rd
Dewsnap Fredk. Wm. fruitr. 82 Station rd
Dewsnap Jn. butcher, 46 Hadfield rd
District Bank Ltd. (sub-branch) (Jn. W. Tregidga, manager) (open mon. to fri. 10 a.m. to 12.30 p.m.: sat. 9.30 to 11 a.m.), 132 Station rd. (Glossop 165); head office, Spring gdns. Manchester
Dodd Samuel coal merchant, Railway yard
Downing Eliz. (Mrs.), confctnr. 92 Station rd
Driver Stanley, fried fish dlr. 19 Brosscroft
Duckworth James Ltd. grocer, 105 Station rd
Edwards Benj. Pear Tree inn, 431 Hadfield rd
Etchells Percy, grocer, 95 Station rd. T N Glossop 152
Fell Hy. fried fish shop, 69 Station rd
Fenton Norah E. (Miss) M.B., Ch.B., B.A.O.Dub. physcn. & surgn. 29 Station rd. Glossop 263
Fidler Eliz. (Mrs.), outfitter, 107 Station rd
Fielding Thos. herbalist, 118 Station rd
Finley Maria (Mrs.), baker, 12 Station rd
Firth Harold D., L.D.S.Manc. dental surgn. 65 Station rd
Fletcher Alice (Mrs.), draper, 39 Brosscroft Flint Herbt. fried fish dlr. 142 Station rd .
Ford Alice (Mrs.), shopkpr. 368 Hadfield rd
*Forster Florence G. (Mrs.), haberdasher, 50 Woolley bridge
Frame Annie (Mrs.), ladies’ hairdrssr. 77 Station rd
*Garlick Emily (Mrs.), shopkpr. 93 Woolley Bridge rd
Garlick Ernest, chipped potato dealer, Woolley Bridge road
*Garlick Jsph. Lloyd, confctnr. 70 Woolley bridge
Garlick Wm. fruitr. 15 Station rd
Gartside & Co. (of Manchester) Limited, cotton spinners & manufacturers, Waterside mills. T N Glossop 115
Gerrard Jas. shopkpr. 85 Woolley Bridge rd
Gerrard Mary Jane (Mrs.). fruitr. 2 Queen st
Glossop Gas Co. (branch), 55 Station road
Goddard Ellen (Mrs.), grocer, 1 Green la
Greenwood Fred, tripe dresser, Station road
Greenwood Jn. brick mkr
*Gregory Herbt. & Fred, farmers, Woolley bridge
Griffiths Jn. watch repr. 5 Station rd
Hadfield Conservative Bowling Club (J. Hutchinson, sec.), 223 Woolley Bridge rd
Hadfield Conservative Club (Fred Hibbert, sec.), 223 Woolley Bridge rd
Hadfield Equitable Co-operative Society Ltd. (Jn. Hurst, manager; Jn. Wm. Pogson, sec.); reg. offices, Wesley st (Glossop 55); 49, 54, 56, 58 & 60 Station rd.; Woolley Bridge rd.; Stanyforth st. & Tintwistle
Hadfield Liberal Bowling Club (Fred Crook, sec.), Bank st
Hadfield Picturedrome (Jsph. C. Moore, mngr.), Bank st. T N Glossop 273
Hadfield Public Hall & Free Library (Tom Hodson, caretaker), Station rd
Hadfield Wm. Bruce, solctr. & commissioner for oaths, 305 Hadfield rd. T N Glossop 73
Haig Martha (Miss), baker, 128 Station rd
Haigh Hugh, news agent, 1a, Railway street
Hall Edwin, hairdrssr. 84 Station rd. & furniture brkr. Kiln la
Hall Frank, painter, 85 Station rd. Glossop 13
*Hambleton Violet (Miss), ladies’ hairdrssr. 106 Woolley brdg
Harrison Abel Limited, coal merchants, Station yard
Hewson Beatrice Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr. 7 Station rd
Hirst Benj. Spinners’ Arms P.H. 1 Marsden st
Holden T. C. chemist, 62 Station rd. Glossop 286
Horrocks Lizzie (Miss), ladies’ hairdrssr. 134 Station rd
Hulme Jessie (Miss), milliner, 45 Station rd. T N Glossop 138
*Hunt Geo. Spread Eagle P.H. Woolley bridge. T N Glossop 183
Hunters (The Teamen) Limited, grocers, 39 Station road
Jackson Mary Emma (Miss), draper, 18 Queen st
Kay Jn. farmer, Park rd
Kenyon Fanny (Mrs.), shopkpr. 25 Hadfield rd
Law Wm. statnr. 126 Station rd
League of Social Service (R. Roberts, hon. sec.), 9 Station rd
Littlewood Mary Ferns (Mrs.), tobccnst. 12 Queen st
Livesley Wm. umbrella repr. 25 Green la
Lupton Saml, grocer, 31 Church st
McDonnell Frank, painter, see Broadbent & McDonnell
McShannon Jn. J., M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O., D.P.H.Belf. physcn. & surgn. 7 Kiln la. Glossop 250
Mansell Lizzie (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 53 Station road
Markland Hy. butcher, 12 Bank st
Marks A. G., L.D.S.Durh. dental surgn. (attends fri. 3.30 to 8 p.m.), 21 Station rd
Marsh Frank, grocer, 102 Waterside
Masters Frank, draper, 11 & 13 Station rd
Mettrick John Woolley, butcher, 86 Station road
*Middleton & Sons, newsagts. 134 Woolley bridge
Ministry of Labour Employment Exchange (C. H. Farrand, officer in charge), Woolley Bridge rd. Glossop 99
Mitchell Frank, baker, 87 Hadfield road
Moscrop Noah, fancy goods dealer, 119 Station road
Mutton Ada (Mrs.), milliner, 90 Station rd
Ninnes Andrew Nicholls, baker, 116 Station rd
Oldham Caroline L. (Mrs.), confctnr. 35 Station rd
Oliver W. & Sons, ironmngrs. 51 Station rd. Glossop 90
*Operative Bleachers’ Association (Ralph Hartley, sec.), 4 Woolley bridge. T N Mottram 23
Patchett Jn. beer retlr. 41 Station rd
Patchett Tom, butcher, 32 Station rd
Pennington Wm. farmer, Woolley Bridge rd
*Platt Edwd. Firth, shopkpr. 58 Woolley bridge
Platt Emma (Mrs.), shopkpr. 3 Waterside
Pownall’s, boot repr. 19 Station rd
Preston Fredk. hairdrssr. 106 Station rd
Price Martha (Mrs.), baker, 46a, Hadfield rd
Prosser Fredk. Chas. farmer, Owl Nest farm
Public Baths (Silvester Whitehead, supt.), Station rd
Public Weighing Machine, Station yard
Ralph Isaac, draper, 229 Woolley Bridge rd
Reece Wm. fried fish dlr. 1 Station rd
Robinson T. decrtr. Salisbury st
Roe Arth. Hy. Anchor inn, 61 Hadfield rd
Rogerson Clive, fried fish dlr. 42 Hadfield rd
Rothwell Edwin, grocer, 94 Station rd. T N Glossop 157
St. Andrew’s Sports Club (Wm. Parker, sec)
St. Charles’ Hall, Woolley Bridge rd
Sargentson Jas. Ltd. cotton waste mers. Brickfield st. T N Glossop 62
Scatcherd R. ironmngr. 9 & 11 Bank bottom
Schofield Geo. tobccnst. 76 Station rd
Schofield Wm. S. grocer, 83a, Hadfield rd
Scholes Arth. carman, Woolley Bridge rd
Scowcroft Geo. W. baker, 52 Station rd
Shaw Simpson, greengro. 79 Station rd
Shepley Jas. greengro. 23 Station rd
*Sherwood Harry, boot repr. 97 Woolley Bridge rd
Sidebottom Wm. P. Temperance hotel, 152 Station rd
Simpson Wright, fried fish dlr. Woolley Bridge rd
Smith James & Co. coal merchants, Station yard
Smith Doris Catherine (Miss), shopkpr. 17 Station rd
Smith Edwd. ladies’ hairdrssr. 74 Station rd
Smith Herbt. Alfort, dentist, 52 Hadfield rd. T N Glossop 201
Struthers Jn. Watson M.B., Ch.B.Glas. physcn. & surgn. 124 Hadfield rd. T N Glossop 121
Swire Harry, boot maker, 125 Station road
*Swire Jn. clogger, 40 Woolley Bridge
Sykes John, monumental mason, Park road
Sykes Mary (Mrs.), ladies’ & children’s outfitter, 68 Station rd
Sykes Wltr. butcher, 114 Station rd
Sykes Wm. Horace, hairdrssr. 37 Station rd
Talkington Annie (Mrs.), fried fish dlr. 15 Cross st
Taylor Jsph. Lancaster, Palatine hotel, 133 Station rd
Thomas Arth. Vernon, music seller, 72 Station rd
Thorley Eliz. (Mrs.), confctnr. 2 Bank st
Torkington Harry, Arundel Arms P.H. Cemetery rd. Glossop 278
Torkington Jane (Mrs.), shopkpr. 2 Peter st
Torkington Samuel, greengrocer, 113 Station road
Travis Archie, Masons’ Arms inn, 78 Station rd
Tweedale Jsph. Victoria hotel, 88 Brosscroft
Walsh Henry, grocer, 8 Bank street
Walshaw Harold, plumber, 39 Railway st
Weavers’ Association (Herbt. Hadley, sec.), 124 Station rd
Webb Mary (Mrs.), confctnr. 115 Station rd
*Webster Benj. beer retlr. 8 Woolley bridge
White Eric, provsn. dlr. 130 Station rd
White Ernest, cycle dlr. 104 Station rd
Wilde & Bennett, motor engineers, 75 Station road. T N Glossop 119
Wilman E. & Sons Ltd. silk noil spinners & mfrs. Station mills. T A “Noil, Glossop;” T N Glossop 160
Woodcock Leonard, boot & shoe dlr. 63A Station rd
Woodhouse Frances (Mrs.), draper, 5 Green la
Woodhouse Sami, butcher, 99 Station rd
Woodhouse Stella Muriel (Mrs.), midwife, 57 Green la
*Woolley Bridge Working Men’s Club (W. P. Leach; sec.), 28 Woolley Bridge rd
Woolley Claude, insur. agt. 154 Hadfield rd
*’Woolley Tom, fried fish shop, Woolley Bridge
Woolley W (Mrs.), baker, 27 Station rd
Worsley F. undertaker, 43 Station rd.; works, 40 Brosscroft. T N Glossop 293
Wright Edwin, Commercial inn, Bank Bottom

PADFIELD.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
(For T N see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Sargentson Henry J. Rose bank
COMMERCIAL.
Beard T. & Son, slaters, 103 Main rd. T N Glossop 239
Belfield Chas. shopkpr. 109 Main rd
Bray Jane Ann (Mrs.), shopkpr. 61 Platt st
Brierley Fred, poultry farmer, 131 Main road
Burdekin Annie (Mrs.), shopkpr. 22 Platt st
Chevens Bros, farmers, Main rd
Fielden Betsy (Miss),confctnr.95 Platt st
Greenwood Fred, tripe dresser, 3Temple st
Greenwood Joe, farmer, 107 Main rd
Hadfield Equitable Co-operative Society Ltd. (Jn. Wm. Pogson, sec.; Jn. Hurst, mngr.); registered office, Wesley st. (T N Glossop 55) & 99 Platt st
Hall Thos. baker, 36 Post st
Hardy Alice (Mrs.), haberdasher, 31 Post st
Howe Sam, carrier, 147 Main rd
Hughes Fred, farmer, Brook farm
Johnson Edwd. W. Peel’s Arms P.H. 6 Temple st
Kershaw Joshua & Sons Ltd. leathr. dressers, Hadfield tannery. T N Glossop 126
Olbison Rt. hardware dlr. Platt st
Padfield Liberal Club (Chas. Wilde, sec.), Main rd
Padfield Working Men’s Club (J. W. Wyatt, sec.), 26 Platt street
Palmer Violet (Miss), shpkpr. 15 Post st
Pass Jesse, boot repr. 116 Main rd
Sargentson Wm. cotton waste dlr. Padfield Brook mills. T N Glossop 61
Shepherd Betty (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Deep clough
Smith Jas. & Co. coal mers. 20 Platt st
Taylor Ernest, farmer
Walker Wm. grocer, 14 Platt st
Wilde Rose (Mrs.), shopkpr. 1 Post st


Button image Return to Trade Directory List Button image Return to Local History Articles Button image Return to the home page




Page last updated: 14 May 2017.