Glossop Heritage Trust

Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1941
Entries for the area of the Borough of Glossop.



GLOSSOP
GLOSSOP (or Glossop Dale) is a municipal borough, and market town, head of a county court district and petty sessional division, township and parish, on the borders of Cheshire, with a station, 192½ miles by rail from London, on the Great Central section of the London and North Eastern railway, 9½ from Ashton, 24½ from Barnsley, 87 from Birmingham, 65 from Burton, 47 from Chesterfield, 55 from Derby, 41 from Doncaster, 87 from Leicester, 34 from Leek, 47 from Liverpool, 73¾ from Lincoln, 13 from Manchester, 20 from Macclesfield, 74 from Nottingham, 30 from Sheffield, 66¼ from Stafford, 10½ from Stalybridge, 11 from Stockport, 53 from Uttoxeter and 72 from Wolverhampton. It is in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, rural deanery of Glossop, archdeaconry of Chesterfield and diocese of Derby. The London and North Eastern railway from Manchester to Sheffield is carried across Dinting Vale on a lofty viaduct of sixteen arches, constructed of stone, about 1 mile west from the Town hall, and there is a branch line from Dinting to Glossop. The parish of Glossop, before the passing of the Local Government Act, 1894. comprised the hamlets of Glossop, Hadfield, Padfield. Charlesworth, Chunal, Whitfield and Simmondley. By the operation of the above Act, the borough became, by an Order of the County Council, dated Aug. 10, 1894, a civil parish, consisting of the whole of the hamlet of Hadfield, and parts of the previously mentioned hamlets. By the same Act the hamlet of Charlesworth, and the other parts of the hamlets, became the parish of Charlesworth.
The borough is divided into three wards, viz.: All Saints, Hadfield and St. James’. The corporation consists of a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors. The borough has a commission of the peace and a police force. The water supply, derived from Peaknase moors, is collected in reservoirs at Swineshaw. Gas and electricity are available.
Portions of the old parish of Glossop All Saints have been taken to form the ecclesiastical parishes of Whitfield, St. James’; Hadfield, St. Andrew’s ; Dinting, Holy Trinity, and Chinley with Buxworth. The parish church of All Saints is a modern edifice of stone in the Early Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, vestry, organ chamber and a western tower, with spire, containing a clock and 8 bells, rehung and a chiming apparatus attached in 1877; the bells were recast in 1923, at a cost of £528 ; the tower was rebuilt in 1856 , in 1902 a carved oak porch was added at a cost of £120, in memory of John Wagstaffe: the stained west window is a memorial erected by the congregation to a former Duke and Duchess of Norfolk, Robert Shepley esq. and John Wood esq. benefactors to the church: in 1889 the church was restored and three stained glass windows inserted, at a cost of £1,300, defrayed by Miss A. A. Wood and others: there are also memorial windows to the Rev. John Dickinson Knowles M.A. vicar and rural dean, 1865-89. and Mrs. Mary Rusby: in 1915 the church received important alterations; the nave, a flat Georgian building, erected in 1881, having been pronounced unsafe, was pulled down and the present one of handsome proportions substituted : it is built of local stone and consists of five bays with side aisles, and a canopied southern porch with a Calvary terminal: in 1923 the chancel was rebuilt and a lady chapel added, Mr. and Mrs. I. Jackson, of Glossop, giving £6,000 for this purpose: a rose window, at the east end, was erected by the congregation, and a carved reredos was given by Mrs. Jackson : the carved oak pulpit was presented, at a cost of £325, by John Wood esq. of Whitfield House: the altar front, presented to the church in 1895, is of carved oak open-work tracery panels, flanked by figures of SS. Chad and Aidan, with silk frontals to slide in a groove behind the tracery : choir stalls of carved oak were erected in 1890, at a cost of £180, and in 1898, an oak screen bearing the names of the vicars of Glossop from 1321 was provided at a cost of £50 : a font of white marble, presented, at a cost of £200, by C. E. Knowles esq. has been placed in a new baptistery: the old communion plate bears date 1745, but in 1877 a new set was presented by the parishioners. The registers date from the year 1620. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £420, with residence, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1927 by the Rev. Francis John Edmond M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, F.R.G.S., surrogate, proctor in convocation, and hon. canon of Derby cathedral.
The Rev Christopher Howe, vicar 1793 to 1849 and for 40 years also incumbent of Woodhead, Cheshire, established a day school at Glossop, in which he personally taught, and partly rebuilt the parish church ; he died 1st Sept, 1849, in the 85th year of his age and the 57th of his vicariate of Glossop. Mr. Charles Winterbottom, for upwards of 60 years sexton and clerk of the parish of Glossop, died at the age of nearly 88 years.
The Roman Catholic church, dedicated to A11 Saints, a building in the Classic style, situated near Glossop Hall, was erected by Bernard Edward Duke of Norfolk, in 1837, and consists of chancel, nave and a belfry containing one bell over the altar is a fine copy of Domenichino's “Communion of St. Jerome,” the original of which is in the Vatican ; there are also valuable paintings representing the twelve apostles : there are 250 sittings.
Mount Pleasant Congregational chapel, built in 1858, will seat 600.
There are Methodist chapels in Manor Park road, Simmondley lane and Shrewsbury street.
The Cemetery, of 6 acres, formed in 1859, was enlarged in 1894 and has mortuary chapels; it is under the control of the town council.
The Town Hall, with the Market House, was considerably enlarged in 1854 and again in 1919. In 1913 new municipal buildings were erected at the rear of the town hall.
The Public Library and Victoria Hall, Fauvel road, erected in 1887 by Herbert Rhodes esq. and Lord Doverdale J.P. at a cost of about £4,400, on a site given by Lord Howard of Glossop, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, containing a reading room and library of 10,000 volumes, lecture hall and a public hall : over the main entrance a tower with pinnacles rises to a height of 80 feet.
The Public Baths, Howard Park, erected in 1887 by Samuel Wood esq. and Mrs. Wood, of Moorfield House, at a cost of about £15,000, comprise a swimming bath, four private baths for males and a like number for females, and two vapour baths : the buildings include a ventilating tower 100 feet high.
There are cotton factories here and, in the neighbourhood, calico printing establishments and paper mills.
Hurst brook and Whitfield brook, two feeders of the Etherow, take their rise on the adjacent moors ; the water of the latter possesses bleaching properties, which fact was taken advantage of in establishing the works at Charlestown. There are quarries producing building and paving stone. The principal market day is Saturday. Fairs are held from the 4th to 7th of May, also the 14th to 17th of September, for the sale of horses and cattle.
There are charities of about £40 yearly value, distributed among the poor on St. Thomas' day, in money and clothing by two representatives of the eight original hamlets of Glossop Dale.
The Wood’s Hospital, Howard Park, founded and endowed in 1887 by Daniel Wood esq. at a cost of about £6,000, the endowment fund being £19,000, is a structure of brick cased externally with stone, and comprises two male and two female wards, holding about 24 patients, with kitchens &c. and an administrative block, containing the offices, store rooms &c. : to the west of the hospital is a detached nurses’ home, with lodge keeper's residence.
The Partington Convalescent & Nurses’ Home, North road, built in 1908 by Sir E. Partington, at a cost of about £30,000, including endowment, is a structure of stone, and consists of two wings and one central block; in the central block are the matron’s and nurses’ apartments; the home provides for 12 patients.
Howard Park, North road, formed in 1887, at the joint expense of Lord Howard of Glossop, Samuel Wood esq. and Mrs. Wood, is situated on an eminence, commanding a fine view of the town and neighbourhood; it is about 12 acres in extent.
Manor Park grounds, formerly the seat of Lord Howard of Glossop, and part of the manor of Glossop, were acquired by the borough of Glossop in 1927 for use as public recreation grounds. In 1932 a pavilion was added, with refreshment room and dressing rooms.
At Old Cross, Old Glossop, are the remains of an ancient atone cross, about 12 feet in height, which has been restored and is in a fair state of preservation.
The town and hamlets appear to have been divided in the time of Edward the Confessor into several parts among different Saxon proprietors, but in the Domesday Survey the whole of Glossop is put down as forfeited to the Crown ; and the Conqueror afterwards gave it to his natural son, William Peveril, whose son Richard, however, being disinherited by Henry I. Glossop was again confiscated by the Crown, and in 1157 was granted by Henry II. together with the advowson of the church to the Abbey of Basingwerke, “in free and perpetual alms for ever,” and this abbey had acquired before the 15th century nearly all the hamlets now comprising the Glossop estate ; Glossop remained the property of Basingwerke Abbey till the dissolution of the lesser abbeys in 1536, when Henry VIII. seized it with other conventual property and afterwards granted it to the Earl of Shrewsbury, who in turn exchanged it with the Duke of Norfolk for estates in Ireland, and in this noble family it has remained to the present time.
The land is partly moor and pasturage. The area of the municipal borough is 3,323 acres of land and inland water; the population in 1931 was 20,001.
The population of the wards in 1931 was:—All Saints’, 6,061; Hadfield, 6,270, and St. James’, 7,670.
The population of the ecclesiastical parish of All Saints in 1931 was 2,831.

HOLLYBANK is a hamlet in the parish.

DINTING, formed into an ecclesiastical parish, 1875, is partly in Glossop borough, and has a station on the Great Central section of the London and North Eastern railway. This place is now amalgamated with Glossop and Charlesworth civil parishes. The church of the Holy Trinity, erected by the Wood family, of Glossop, and opened July, 1875, is a building of stone in the Gothic style of the 13th century, and consists of apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, an organ chamber forming a transept on the south side, vestry and a tower at the west end of the south aisle, with pinnacles and an octagonal spire reaching a height of 137 feet from the ground to the top of the vane, and containing 6 bells: the nave is divided from the aisle by circular stone piers, with moulded caps and bases : the pulpit, of Caen stone and marble, was erected in memory of the patrons and founders : there are several memorial windows, including the east window of four lights, erected in 1922 to those who fell in the Great War : the font, presented by Mrs. Wood, consists of a basin of Caen stone on a shaft of red marble : the organ was also presented by Mrs. Wood in 1882 : a choir vestry was added in 1931; there are 630 sittings, 90 of which are free. The register dates from 1875. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, with residence, in the gift of Sir John Wood bart. D.L., J.P. and Sir Samuel Hill-Wood bart. D.L., J.P. and held since 1936 by the Rev. John Owen Max Dawson-Bowling M.A. of St. Catherine’s Society, Oxford. There is a Methodist chapel, built in 1860, with 325 sittings, 100 of which are free. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1931 was 2,857.

BROOKFIELD is a hamlet, 1 mile north of Dinting station. The Congregational chapel, erected in 1884, is a building of stone in the Early English style : all the windows are stained : it has 400 sittings.

GAMESLEY is a hamlet 1 mile west of Dinting station, In the hamlet of Gamesley are the remains of a Roman fort called by the country people from time immemorial, “Melandra” and “Melandra Castle;” it stands at the confluence of the Course Brook and the Etherow: it is rectangular in form, with rounded angles, and had three double gateways and a single arched entrance on the south : the length is 398 feet, the breadth 368 feet, and the area 3.36 acres approximately, and in the centre is a square building which contained several chambers, and has been by analogy called the “Praetorium:” a good deal of pottery, terra sigillate and Romano-British ware has been found, as well as glass and floor and roof tiles, Roman coins from 68 to 388 A.D. and a quantity of trade and coin-weights, both Roman and Celtic. The miscellaneous objects include bones, flints, dice, iron, lead and bronze finds; tiles marked with the initials V.V. (Valeria Victrix) of the 20th Legion, and a centurial stone, found here in 1771, and inscribed to Valerius Vitalis, centurion of the 1st cohort of the Frisiavones, which was in Britain, A.D. 105 and 124 : it has been concluded that Melandra was occupied as early as 80 A.D. and again after an interval in the 3rd and 4th centuries: the summit of this eminence is still called “The Castle Yard,” and a tradition exists that Melandra was one of the strongholds of the ancient British in the time of the Saxon invasion. On an opposite hill, called “Mousley,” is the site of another traditional castle. Some stones which came from Mousley Castle, inscribed with rude hieroglyphics, are still to be seen walled into the gable end of a house at Hadfield, and are evidently Runic. Both Melandra and Mousley lie on the Roman road from the camp of “Mancunium” (Manchester) to that of “Ad Petuariam” (Brough, near Castleton).

HADFIELD, together with the township of Padfield, was formed in 1876 into an ecclesiastical parish, but was August 10, 1894, amalgamated with Glossop ; it is on the borders of Cheshire, within the borough of Glossop and county court district of Glossop, with a station on the Great Central section of the London and North Eastern railway. The church of St, Andrew, erected at a cost of about £4,250 and consecrated July 4th, 1874, is a building in the Gothic style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, south transept, baptistery, organ chamber and a central bell turret containing one bell: the font, worked in native stone, was presented in 1874 by Mr. James Sherriff, of Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand, and formerly of Hadfield, and had previously been exhibited at the Colonial exhibition, Victoria : the richly embroidered communion cloth was presented by the Rev. C. B. Ward M.A. vicar of Whitfield, and the credence table by Mr. Braddock, churchwarden : a new organ was erected in 1879, at a cost of about £650, by James Sidebottom esq. J.P. of Millbrook, Hadfield, as a memorial to his wife : the brass lectern was presented in memory of Beatrice Dawson at a cost of about £100 : an oak reredos and table were presented by parishioners in commemoration of the European war ; and an oak pulpit was presented by the daughter and son-in-law of Mr. and Mrs. T. Jackson : there are 538 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from July 5th, 1874, and of marriages from August, 1875. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £390, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1917 by the Rev. Archibald Campbell Macalister White L.Th. of Durham University, rural dean of Glossop, who is a surrogate. There is a Mission room at Woolley Bridge. The Roman Catholic church, dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, erected in 1858 by Lord Howard of Glossop, and consisting of nave, aisles, sacristy, baptistery and a western tower containing one bell : there are memorials to Father McDonnell and the Right Rev. Monsignor Canon H. Sabela : the carved high altar of stone was erected in memory of Father Hickey : the Lady altar was presented by the Right Rev. Monsignor Canon H. Sabela : in the church are several figures carved in stone and many valuable oil paintings : a pulpit of Caen stone, marble and alabaster was erected in 1894 as a memorial of the nomination of the Right Rev. Monsignor Canon H. Sabela as domestic prelate to his Holiness Pope Leo XIII : there are memorial windows to Lord Edward G. Fitzalan Howard, 1st baron Howard of Glossop. d. 1 Dec. 1883 and Augusta (Talbot), his wife, d. 3 July, 1862, and others to Miss Margaret Mary Conlan, Mrs. Dorothea M. Gregory, Miss Sabela and to Mrs. Esther Mary Couban, and an “Ecco Homo ” presented by Monsignor H. Sabela. Outside the church is a vault belonging to the Howard family. Over this vault a chapel was built in 1940 and to this was transferred the altar from the Lady chapel and the former Lady chapel was converted into a memorial chapel. The Convent of Sisters of Charity of St. Paul the Apostle, on the south side of the church, was erected in 1887 at the cost of John Dalton esq. There are three Methodist chapels : one built in 1878, seating 750 ; that built in 1855 seating 560 ; and one built in 1876 and enlarged in 1885, seating 160. Hadfield Hall, the ancient mansion of the Hadfields of Hadfield, dating from 1646, was converted into a couple of cottages; some years ago the handsome black oak carving was taken down and erected in a farm house on the Glossop estate. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1931 was 5,839.
Post, M. O. & T. Office, 120 Station road. Letters through Manchester.

PADFIELD, adjoining Hadfield station, 1½ miles north-west from Glossop and partly within that borough, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, parish, petty sessional division and county court district of Glossop, is included in the ecclesiastical parish of St. Andrew’s, Hadfield. The Methodist chapel, erected in 1880, will seat 400.
Letters through Manchester, via Hadfield

WHITFIELD was formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1884. On Aug. 10, 1894, the portion in Glossop borough was added to that parish, and the remainder amalgamated with the civil parish of Charlesworth. The church of St. James is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and a western tower with spire and pinnacles containing 8 bells, added in 1884 and recast in 1931, and a clock placed in 1885 by Miss Wood, of Whitfield House : the organ, erected in 1860, was enlarged in 1870, 1880 and 1896, and repaired in 1908 : there are two stained windows to the memory of John, Daniel and Samuel Wood, and two added in 1931, one by the parishioners in memory of the late Mrs. Wood and the other by the Rev. H. V. and Mrs. Nicoll-Griffith in memory of their daughter Sylvia : the church was enlarged in 1895-6 by the erection of a chancel and vestry, and the whole interior reseated at a cost, including special gifts, of over £4,000 : a chapel was added in 1928 at a cost of £2,000, by Sir John Wood bart. D.L., J.P. in memory of Lady Wood and members of his family; there are 1,100 sittings, 550 being free. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £420, with residence, in the gift of Sir John Wood bart. D.L., J.P. and Sir Samuel Hill-Wood bart. D.L., J.P. and held since 1934 by the Rev. James Whitehead Cooke M.A. of Keble College, Oxford. The church of St. Luke, also in this parish, was built in 1906 by Mrs. S. Wood, of Moorfield, at a cost of £5,000 : the east window was erected in 1928 to the memory of Mrs. Wood by the parishioners : the church is served by the clergy of St. James’. There are Mission rooms in Chapel street and Kershaw street. The Summer Memorial Roman Catholic church, Sumner street, dedicated to St. Mary, founded and endowed by Francis James Sumner esq. D.C.L. of Park Hall, Hayfield, and erected in 1887 by his heirs on a site granted by Lord Howard of Glossop, at a cost of about £17,000, is an edifice of local stone in the Early English style, consisting of apsidal chancel, clerestoried nave of eight bays, aisles, side chapels, baptistery, south porch and an eastern turret with spire and ornamental finial, rising to a height of 90 feet and containing one bell : a stone screen separates the chancel from the side chapels : the altar and tabernacle are elaborately carved in alabaster, marble and Caen stone, and the pulpit is also of Caen stone : stations of the cross were added in 1889 : in 1908 a memorial altar and stained window were erected to the Right Rev. Canon Charles W. Tasker : there are 900 sittings. There is a convent for Sisters of Charity of St. Paul in Shaw street. Littlemoor Congregational chapel, founded in 1811, has 800 sittings. Littlemoor Congregational schools, Victoria street, erected in 1881, form a building of stone in the Italian style, and will hold 700 scholars; the schools are also used for lectures and concerts, and can be arranged so as to seat 1,000. The Gospel Mission hall, in Ellison street, erected in 1888, is of stone in the Gothic style, and will seat 800. The Whitfield Free Library, containing 600 volumes, and the adjoining recreation ground were presented to the people of Glossop by George S. Ollerenshaw esq. J.P. in 1902. Whitfield House, the residence of Sir John Wood bart. V.D., D.L., J.P. is a large stone building in the Elizabethan style, standing in its own grounds. The inhabitants are employed in the large cotton and paper mills just outside the township and in the bleach works within its boundaries. The soil is various; subsoil, clay. The land is practically all in pasture. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1931 was 7,890.
Charlestown is a place here.

CHUNAL is 2 miles south from Glossop and partly within that borough, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, parish, petty sessional division and county court district of Glossop, and in the ecclesiastical parish of Whitfield; part is included in Glossop civil parish, the remainder being in Charlesworth civil parish.

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.
Post, M. O. & T. Office, Victoria street. Letters should have Derbyshire added
Town Sub-Post & M. O. Office, 3 Wellgate
Town Sub-Post & M. O. Office, 198 High street west
Town Sub-Post & M. O. Office, 118 Victoria street, Whitfield

CORPORATION.
1939-1940
Mayor, Councillor John H. Cuthbert J.P.
Deputy Mayor, Alderman Richard Sellers.
Aldermen.
Joseph Edwin Buckley J.P, Joseph Dempsey Doyle J.P, William Jackson J.P, Arthur Mellor J.P, Richard Sellers, George Wharmby
Councillors.
All Saints’ Ward.
Returning Officer for Ward Elections, Alderman Rd. Sellars.
Richard Alfred Beckmann, Harold Hadfield, John Hague, Joe Hough, George Platt, Stanley Roberts
St. James' Ward.
Returning Officer for Ward Elections, Alderman Joseph Edwin Buckley J.P.
John Henry Cuthbert J.P, Edward Greenwood, William Hankinson J.P, William Leatherbarrow, Eli Swindells, Joseph Taylor
Hadfield Ward.
Returning Officer for Ward Elections, Alderman J. Platt.
Joe Barber, Robert John Boak J.P, Ernest Haigh, Ernest Cocker Harrop, John Henry Robinson, James Walker Wilde

Officers of the Corporation.
Town Clerk, William S. A. Robinson, solicitor, Municipal buildings
Assistant Town Clerk, J. Ashton, Municipal buildings
Borough Treasurer & Chief Rating & Valuation Officer, E. M. Boardman, Municipal buildings
Medical Officer of Health & Medical Superintendent of Maternity & Child Welfare Centre & to the Isolation Hospital & Partington Convalescent, Nurses’ Home & Wood’s Hospital, E. H. M. Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H. Dubl. Municipal buildings
Public Analyst, Harri Heap M.Sc., Manchester
Borough Auditor, James Moss A.S.A.A. Alexandra buildings, 28 Queen street, Manchester
Surveyor & Water Works Manager, George Faulds M.I.M. & Cy.E. & R.S.I
Veterinary Surgeon under the Diseases of Animals Acts, F. T. Blakemore M.R.C.V.S. 62 Corporation street, Hyde
Water Inspector, T. Platt, Town Hall, High street west
Chief Constable, Inspector under Diseases of Animals Acts, Inspector of Hackney Carriages & Superintendent of Fire Brigade, Robert C. Greensmith, Ellison street
Sanitary & Meat Inspector & Inspector under the Food & Drugs Acts, Harry Dane, Municipal buildings
Chief Inspector of Weights & Measures, Robert C. Greensmith, Ellison street
Parks Superintendent, John Metcalfe, North road
Collector, Walter Dixon, Municipal buildings, Glossop
Librarian, R. C. Harrison F.L.A. Fauvel road

BOROUGH MAGISTRATES.
The Mayor & Ex Mayor
Boak Robert John, 46 Kiln lane, Hadfield
Bollans Robert Wilfred M.B. 87 Station road, Hadfield
Buckley Joseph Edwin, 2 Pike’s lane, Glossop
Dixon Walter, 76 Pike’s lane, Glossop
Doyle Joseph Dempsey, 87 Hague street, Glossop
Fletcher Samuel, Chelston, North road, Glossop
Hankinson William, Spire Hollin, Glossop
Hill-Wood Sir Samuel H. bart. D.L. 52 Eaton place, London S W 1
Hinchliffe Mrs. Hadfield road, Hadfield
Hunter Thomas Pearson, Woodside, Sheffield road, Glossop
Jackson William, Post street, Padfield, Manchester
Knowles Charles E. Henstridge house, Henstridge
Mellor Arthur, 31 Duke street, Glossop
Partington Mrs. M.B.E. Talbot house, Glossop
Sargentson Percy
Clerk, Percy E. Ireland, 6 Market street
The magistrates meet every alternate monday at the Town hall at 2.30 p.m

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.
Borough Police Office, Ellison street
Borough Police Station, Albert street, Hadfield
Cemetery, Cemetery road, William S. A. Robinson, clerk; offices, Municipal buildings
County Court, His Honour Judge Reginald Clare Essenhigh; Percy Edward Ireland, registrar & high bailiff; office, 4 Market street, open from 10 to 4, on Saturdays from 9 till 12. The county court is held at the Town Hall & comprises the following parishes: Arnfield & district of Tintwistle, Brownside, Charlesworth, Chisworth, Chunal, Dinting, Gamesley, Glossop, Hadfield, Hollingworth, Padfield, Simmondley, Torside, Whitfield, Woodhead & Wooley Bridge
For Bankruptcy purposes this Court is included in that of Ashton-under-Lyne; F. H. Langmaid & P. M. Millward, official receivers; N. W. Bird & W. D. Greenwood, assistant official receivers, Byrom street, Manchester
Certified Bailiff under the Law of Distress Amendment Act, John W. Darlington, Norfolk square
Customs & Excise & Old Age Pensions Office, Barclays Bank buildings, Norfolk street; James Snailham Samson, officer
Derbyshire County Council Tuberculosis Dispensary. Surrey street, W. H. Morton M.B., Ch.B.St.And., M.R.C.P.Edin., D.P.H. medical officer; Miss A. Williamson, matron
Fire Station, Ellison street
Hadfield Public Hall & Free Library (branch of Glossop Free Library), Station road; Tom Hodson, caretaker
Howard Park, North road, John Metcalfe, supt
Manor Park, Manor Park road, John Metcalfe, supt
Masonic Hall, Norfolk square, George Henry Wilson, sec
Maternity & Child Welfare Centre, Municipal buildings, Ernest Henry Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dubl. medical supt
Ministry of Labour Employment Exchange, Howard street, Egerton Doodson, manager; & Woolley Bridge road, Hadfield, C. H. Farrand, officer in charge
Partington Convalescent & Nurses’ Home, North road Ernest Henry Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dubl. medical supt.; Miss B. Finnerty, matron
Public Baths, The Park & Station road, Hadneld, Fred Fennell, supt
Public Library & Victoria Hall, Fauvel road, K. C. Harrison F.L.A. librarian
Town Hall, High street west, Ernest Bowden, caretaker
Whitfield Free Library (branch of Glossop Free Library), Freetown, Charles Howard, caretaker
Whitfield Parish Hall, Kershaw street
Wood’s Hospital, The Park, E. H. M. Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dubl. medical supt.; R. W. Bollans M.B., Ch.B. Viet. J.P. F. Q. McKeown M.C., M.B., Ch.B.L’pool P. E. Malloch L.R.C.P & S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S.Glas., L.D.S.R.C.S. Edin. R. E. Jackson M.B., Ch.B.Manch. J. Hadfield M.B.,C.M.Aberd. E. J. Allen L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S.Glas. & J. J. McShannon M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O., D.P.H.Belf medical officers; W. S. A. Robinson (town clerk), sec.; Miss G. O. Ashdown, matron

NORTH-WESTERN AREA PUBLIC ASSISTANCE COMMITTEE.
The area includes Glossop borough, Buxton Borough, New Mills & Chapel-en-le-Frith Meets every 3rd Wednesday at 10.30 a.m.
Chairman, W. B. Lowe, Glossop
Clerk, Charles F. V. Fenton, 14 & 16 Ellison street, Glossop
Relieving Officers, W. E. Grundy, 14 & 16 Ellison street, Glossop ; J. S. Wherrett, Chapel-en-le-Frith.: H. Broadbent, assistant.
Medical Officers, No. 1 district, J. Hadfield M.B., C.M.Aberd. 20 Hollincross lane, Glossop; No. 2 district. Miss N. E. Fenton M.B., Ch.B., B.A.O. 28 Bross Croft. Hadfield; No. 4 district, L. Millward M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. Redgate, New mills; No. 1 Chapel-en-le-Frith district, D. J. Cogan L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S.Glas. Cromwell house, Chapel-en-le-Frith; Buxton district, G. Cochrane M.B., Ch.B.Glas., D.P.H.Lond. Turnsteads. Burlington road. Buxton ; No. 3 Chapel-en-le-Frith district, J. W. Waddell Baillie M.B.. Ch.B.Glas. Peveril house, Castleton
Public Vaccinators, Miss N. E. Fenton M.B., Ch.B., B.A.O. 28 Bross Croft, Hadfield & L. Millward M.R.C.3., L.R.C.P. New Mills
The Glossop Institution, to hold 144 inmates, Robert Winter, master; Joseph Hadfield M.B., C.M.Aberd. Hollincross lane, Glossop, medical officer; Mrs. D. Winter, matron
The Hayfield Institution, built in 1840 to hold 96 inmates & since enlarged, W. D. Waterman, master; L. Millward M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. New Mills, medical officer; Mrs. Waterman, matron
The Chapel-en-le-Frith Institution, erected in 1840, is a stone building at the west end of the town, & will hold 100 inmates ; A. J. Hopkinson, master. In 1898 new Board room & offices were added.

GLOSSOP REGISTRATION DISTRICT.
Superintendent Registrar, William B. Hadfield, 6 Market street; deputy, James Harrison, 6 Market street, Glossop
Registrar of Births & Deaths, Glossop sub-district, Charles F. V. Fenton, 14 & 16 Ellison street, Glossop; deputy, Mrs. G. Lawton, 14 & 16 Ellison street, Glossop
Registrar of Marriages, G. B. Buxton, 6 Market street

PUBLIC OFFICERS.
Assistant Rating & Valuation Officer & Collector, Walter Dixon, Municipal buildings
Clerk to the Cemetery Committee, William S. A. Robinson (town clerk), Municipal buildings
Coroner for the Hundred of High Peak, E. M. Brooke-Taylor, 4 The Quadrant, Buxton; deputies, F. R. S. Nesbit, 20 Hardwick street, Buxton & George Henry Wilson, Norfolk square, Glossop
Customs, Excise & Old Age Pension Officer, James Snailham Samson, Barclays Bank buildings, Norfolk street
Market Inspector, Ernest Bowden, Town hall

PLACES OF WORSHIP
Parish Church (All Saints’), Rev. Canon Francis John Edmond M.A., F.R.G.S. vicar, & surrogate
Holy Trinity, Dinting, Rev. John Owen Max Dawson-Bowling M.A,, vicar
St. Andrew, Hadfield, Rev. Archibald Campbell Macalister White L.Th. vicar, rural dean of Glossop & surrogate ; Rev. S. T. Coulter, curate
St. James’ Whitfield, Rev. J. W. Cooke M.A. vicar; Rev. W. L. Chivers, curate
St. Luke’s, Fauvel road, Rev. Wm. Lewis Chivers, priest in charge
Sumner Memorial Roman Catholic Church (St. Mary’s), Sumner street, Very Rev. Canon W. R. Winder, parish priest; Rev. Matthew Owens, assistant priest
All Saints Roman Catholic, Rev. Louis J. Drury, priest
St. Charles Borromeo Roman Catholic, Hadfield, Rev. Leo. F. Bermingham, priest
Congregational, Littlemoor, Rev. Thomas Arthur Bairstow
Congregational, St. Mary’s road (Mount Pleasant), Rev. Arthur W. Goodwin
Congregational, Brookfield, Rev. John Henry Robinson
Methodist, High street west, Hadfield, Padfield, Old Glossop & Whitfield, Rev. Harold W. Stephenson, supt
Methodist, Manor Park road ; Simmondley lane, Dinting; Station road, Hadfield & Whitfield Cross, Rev. J. A. Newton (supt)
Methodist, Shrewsbury street & Mission Chapel, Princess street. Rev. Gilbert Dash, supt
Unitarian, Fitzalan street, Rev. Hubert Gordon Woodford B.A.
Wesleyan Reformers, Howard street
Glossop Union Mission Church, Ellison street, Rev. R. D Bradley, minister
Gospel Union Mission Hall, Whitfield
National Spiritualist Church, Jones street, Hadfield
Salvation Army Hall, Edward street

EDUCATIONAL.
Under the provisions of the Education Act, 1902, an Education Committee has been formed, consisting of 21 members. The Committee meets at the Municipal buildings on the third monday in each month (except August) at 8.15 p.m.
Chairman, Alderman Joseph Dempsey Doyle J.P

Officers.
Secretary to the Committee, William S. A. Robinson, Municipal buildings
Finance Clerk, Harold Appleton, Municipal buildings
Treasurer & Accountant, E. M. Boardman, Municipal bldgs
School Medical Officer, Ernest Henry Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dubl. Municipal buildings
Attendance Officer, Robert H. Malkin, Municipal bldgs

The Glossop Grammar School, Talbot street, founded in 1900 by Lord Howard of Glossop, is equipped with physical & chemical laboratories, art rooms & workshops; the laboratories are well equipped with modern apparatus & appliances. The school has advanced courses in (1) science & mathematics, (2) modern studies; pupils pass on to Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester &c. Universities. The school is controlled by governors appointed by the Education Committee of the Borough of Glossop ; Cecil Lord B.A. head master

Kingsmoor School, established in Glossop Hall, the former residence of Lord Howard of Glossop, is under the control of a council appointed by Kingsmoor School Ltd. the owners of the school property. The school is governed by the head master, assisted by the teaching staff & the boys & girls themselves. It is a mixed boarding school on co-educational lines & has preparatory, junior & senior departments; George Raymond Swaine, head master

Railway Stations, Norfolk street, Glossop & Dinting (L.&N.E)

Motor Omnibuses to & from Manchester, Hyde, Hadfield, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Dove Holes, Peak Forest, Buxton, Dinting, Charlesworth, Chisworth, Compstall & Marple Bridge

GLOSSOP.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(For T N’s see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Allan Edward James, 10 North road
Andrew Mrs. 16 North road
Ashton Roscoe S. Ryecroft house, Manor Park road
Ashworth Wltr. Greenways, Kingsmoor fields
Bairstow Rev. Thomas Arthur (Congregational), The Manse, Gladstone street
Beckmann Richard Alfred, Holmdale, North road
Beever Mrs. Ashley, Dinting road
Booth Fred, Merlestead, North road
Booth John, 8 High street east
Callaghan John, 108 Sheffield road
Charlesworth Mrs. Holly house, Spire Hollin
Chivers Rev. William Lewis (priest-in-charge of St. Luke’s), 22 North road
Clayton Herbert, 118 Charlestown road
Cooke Rev. James Whitehead M.A. (vicar of St. James’), The Vicarage, Whitfield
Cuthbert John H. 25 Lord street
Dane Harry, Windyridge, Woodhead rd
Dash Rev. Gilbert (Methodist), Temple Mount, Shrewsbury street
Dearnaley Joseph, 2 Alexander villas, Talbot road
Dickinson Ralph H. Ellerslie, Spire Hollin
Drury Rev. Louis J. (Roman Catholic), Royle house, Church street
Edmond Rev. Canon Francis John .A., F.R.G.S. (vicar & surrogate), The Vicarage
Ellison Theo. Walter, Easton, High St. ea
Faulds George, Oakfield, North road
Fielding Mrs. Brentwood, Spire Hollin
Firth Harold D 77 Norfolk street
Golland Edwin Richard B.Sc.Lond. 27 Norfolk street
Goodwin Rev. Arthur W. (Congregational), Simmondley lane
Goodwright David Robert, The Rockeries, Dinting road
Greenwood Edward, The Poplars, Talbot road
Greenwood H.,F.A.A. Tregenna North rd
Hadfield Isaac Gee, Ashlands, Dinting road
Hadfield John, Norwood, Spire Hollin
Hadfield Joseph M.B.Aberd. 20 Hollincross lane
Hadwin Mrs. 42 Fauvel road
Hall Fredk. Jas. Sunny bank, North rd
Harrison Mrs. Glenbrook, Dinting road
Heckscher Rudolf, Heathbank, Woodhead road
Higginbottom Thomas, 14 North road
Hilton Wilfrid, Ain Garth, Dinting road
Hudson Mrs. Trevethyn, Spire Hollin
Hyde John T. Heatherlea, Dinting road
Ireland Percy E. Slatelands house, Slatelands road
Jackson James Martin, Holly mount, Ellison street
Jackson Josiah, Redcourt, Hollincross la
Jackson Robert Edward M.B. 93 High street west
Leech Mrs. Sunnyfield, Sheffield road
Leech William H. Cowbrook cottage, Sheffield road
Lees Bertram, 25 Hall Meadow road
Locan William Allen, The Firs, Talbot road
Lord Cecil, Hollywood, Sheffield road
McKeown Felix Quinn M.C., M.B., Ch.B.L’pool, 25 Victoria street
McKinlay Finlay, Weston. Spire Hollin
McShannon John J., M.B.Belf. Loch Maree, North road
Malloch Peter Edwin L.R.C.P. & S. 28 Norfolk street
Middleton Leonard, Runnymede, Simmondley lane
Nelson Mrs. Manor crest, Norfolk street
Newton Rev. J. A. (Methodist), 42 Sheffield road
Nuttall John, Greystoke, Dinting road
Ogden Albert, 116 Charlestown road
Ollerenshaw Misses, Clare ho. Talbot st.
Owens Rev. Matthew (Roman Catholic), St. Mary’s rectory, Sumner street
Parkinson Leonard, Park Dene, Dinting road
Partington Mrs. M.B.E., J.P. Talbot house, Talbot road
Radcliffe Samuel, Weetwood, North road
Rannells James, High Lawn, Hobroyd
Robertson Francis, Cleadon, Kingsmoor fields
Russell Mrs. Rosemont, Norfolk street
Samson James Snailham, Castlemere, Spire Hollin
Sargentson James, Holly bank, Talbot rd
Shepley Mrs. 17 North road
Slack Miss. Ryefield, Manor Park road
Smith Robert Thornton, Hill Crest, Whitfield
Smith Thomas Oswald. 120 Charlestown road
Smith Tom, Ingle nook, Dinting road
Stafford Egerton, Wren nest, Sunlaw st
Stephenson Rev. Harold W. (Methodist), 1 Alexander villas, Talbot road
Surfleet Robert, The Coombs, Dinting rd
Sutherland Richard James, Rydal mount, Dinting road
Taylor Ernest Robert L.D.S. Hillside, North road
Thompson E . Ashmore, Highfield house, Talbot road
Townend Walter, Rostherne. Sheffield rd
Walker Bernard Galbraith, Lavandou, Dinting road
Ward Ernest, The Hurst
Winder Very Rev. Canon W.R. (Roman Catholic), St. Mary's rectory, Sumner st
Wood Sir John bart. V.D., D.L., J.P. Whitfield house
Woodford Rev. Hubert Gordon B.A. (Unitarian), Park Croft, Dinting rd

COMMERCIAL.
Early closing day, Tuesday.
Addy Harriet (Mrs.), baker, 142 St. Mary’s rd
Albion Hotel (Jas. Power), Victoria st
Allan Edwd. Jas. L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S.Glas. physcn. & surgn. & medical officer to the Post Office, 10 North rd. & 18 High st. east. T N 98
Allum Jas. T. farmer, 45 Hague st
Ancient Order of Foresters (Court Mersey, Lodge No. 2493, H. Greensmith, sec.; Court Pride of the Valley, Lodge No. 2403, C. Ryan, sec.), 1 Surrey st
Argenta Meat Co. Ltd. butchers, 5 Victoria st
Arrowsmith Thomas, clog & patten ma. 132 High st. west
Ashton & Roberts, chartrd. accntnts. 6 Howard st. T N 380
Ashton Fredk. Denby, chartrd. accntnt. (firm, Ashton & Roberts), 6 Howard st. T N 380
Ashton J. assistant town clerk, Municipal bldgs
Ashton Regnld. grocer, 3(33 High st. west
Asphaltic Roadways Ltd. (Wm. Allen Locan, director), The Firs, Talbot rd, T N 478
Asprey Lilian (Miss), ladies’ hairdrssr. 11 Norfolk st
Bagshaw A. & Son, cabnt. mkrs. 26 & 28 High st. west. T N 194
Bailey Jn. woollen draper, 121 High st. west
Bairstow Jack, insur. agt. 69 Norfolk st
Ballington S. & Sons, butchers, 143 Gladstone st. T N 14
Barber Jas. Wm. coal dlr. 39 Gladstone st
Barclays Bank Ltd. (branch) (D. Morris Evans, mngr.), 1 High st. east (T N 139); head office, 54 Lombard st, London E C 3
Barker Jsph. farmer, Hobroyd
Barlow Herbert, tobacconist, 2 Charlestown road
Bates Ellis, boot repr. 102a, Victoria st
Batten Alice (Mrs.), shopkpr, 14 George st
Battey Ernest, insur. agt. 37 Hope st
Bayley Edwin, costumier, 51 & 53 High st. west. T N 171
Beard Geo. Ernest, shopkpr. 89 Gladstone st
Beaumont Thos. shopkpr. 30 Queen st
Bee Hive Inn (Dan E. Bradbury), 35 Hague st
Beeley J. farmer, Ashes
Bennett Edith (Miss), beer retlr. 96 Victoria st
Bennett Fred, farmer, Pikes farm
Bennett George, news agent, 199 High street east
Bennett Jas. picture frame mkr. 14a, High st. east
Berry Mary & Hannah (Misses), shopkprs. 76 High st. east
Boardman E. M. borough treas, & chief rating & valuation officer & treas. & accntnt. to the Education Committee, Municipal bldgs. T N 49
Boardman Frank, blacksmith, Manor st
Bond Beatrice (Miss), grocer, 385 High st. west
Booth Edith (Mrs.), shopkpr. 70 Freetown
Boots The Chemists, 19 High st. west. T N 11
Borough of Glossop Education Office (W. S. A. Robinson, sec.; H. Appleton, finance clerk ; E. M. Boardman, treas. & accntnt.), Municipal bldgs. T N 58
Boswell Edwd. fruitr. 55 Hollincross la. T N 344
Bowden Annie (Mrs.), confctnr. 70 Charlestown rd
Bowden Ernest, market inspector & caretaker, Town hall
Bowden Saml. T. farmer, Heath
Bowden Sarah R. (Miss), statnr. & post office, 3 Wellgate
Bowden Wm. Nesbitt, tobccnst. 20 Norfolk st
Bowerbank E. J. manager Lloyds Bank Ltd. Norfolk chmbrs. Henry st. T N 220
Bowers Doris (Mrs.), ladies’ hairdrssr. 76 Victoria st
Bowers Hy. house painter, 65 Victoria st
Bradbury Albert, farmer, Whitfield green
Bradbury Wm. hairdrssr. The Arcade
Braddock Eli & Son, shipping agents, 55 High street east
Bradley Arth. grocer, 2S Freetown
Bradley Austin Watkins,fruitr. 8, & fishmngr. 10,High st. east. T N 192
Bradshaw H. joiner, Whitfield cross
Bramhall Jn. shopkpr. 8 Gladstone st
Bramwell Fred, shopkpr. 42 Arundel st
Brewin Fredk. hairdrssr. 96 High st. west
Bridge Inn (Fred Smith), 12 Market st
Bridge Jas. Alston, assistant rating & valuation officer, Municipal bldgs
Brightmore Eva (Mrs.), midwife, 151 High st. east
Brine Frank, butcher, 10 High st. west. T N 455
Brooks Annie (Mrs.), shopkpr. 5 George st
Broughton Jas. Gilbt. tobccnst. 80 High st. west
Brown Elsie (Mrs.), shopkpr. 82 Gladstone st
Brown Geo. dentist, 11 Norfolk sq. T N 244
Bruckshaw Wm. shopkpr. 28a, Talbot st. T N 65
Buckley Sarah (Mrs.), draper, 38 High st. east
Bull’s Head P.H. (Thos. Harrop), 102 Church st
Bunting A. W. & Son, undertakers, 78 Simmondley la
Burdekin Frank, fried fish dlr. 62 Edward st
Burdekin Muriel (Mrs.), confctnr. 127 High st. west
Burke Rd. Jsph. M.P.C.Lond. masseur, 49 Norfolk st. T N 30
Burns Eliz. (Mrs.), shopkpr. 6 Charlestown
Burton Montague (The Tailor of Taste Ltd.), tailors, 1 & 3 High st. west
Buxton G. B. registrar of marriages for Glossop district, 6 Market st
Callaghan Jn. provsn. dlr. 45 High st. west. T N 197
Carnall Wm. provsn. dlr. & sub-post office, 118 Victoria st
Cartwright Sarah Ann (Mrs ), draper, 94 High st. west
Carver Horace, insur. agt. 136 St. Mary's rd
Cash & Co. (W. & E. Turner Ltd.), boot & shoe mkrs. 1 Victoria st
Cemetery, Cemetery rd. (W. S. A. Robinson, clerk) ; offices, Municipal bldgs
Chadwick Doris Consterdine (Miss), shopkpr. see Jones & Chadwick
Chadwick Herbt. furniture dlr. 7 High st. east
Chadwick Jn. shopkpr, 210 High street west
Charlesworth Fred, butcher, 36 (T N 18) & 244 High st. west. T N 172
Cheetham H. & Co. mineral water mfrs. 24 Shrewsbury st
Child Welfare Centre (E. H. Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dubl. medical supt.), Municipal bldgs. T N 118
Clare Wm. fried fish shop, 20 High st. east
Clarke Allen, newsagt. 240 High st. west
Coggin Chas. Eli, newsagt. 24 High st. east
Commercial Inn (Jas. Kenyon), 137 Manor Park rd
Commercial Inn (Fredk. Slater), 1 Charlestown
Conner Nellie (Mrs.), shopkpr. 271 High st. west
Cooper Clifford, butcher, 66 High st. west
Cooper Hy. herbalist, 136 High st. west
Cooper Jn. beer retlr. 16 Princess st. T N 287
Cooper Jn. Fras. tailor, 71 High st. west. T N 31
Cooper Roland, farmer, Lane Side farm
County Court Office (His Honour Regnld. Clare Essenhigh, judge ; P. E. Ireland, registrar & high bailiff), 4 Market st
Cranshaw Oswald, metal brkr. Primrose la
Critchlow Wm. farmer, Windy Harbour
Crown Hotel (Eric Redfern), 142 Victoria st
Crowther Jas. teacher of music, 4 King Edward’s av
Cuffe Christina Winifred (Miss), ladies' hairdrssr. 186 High st. west
Customs & Excise & Old Age Pensions Office (Jas. Snailham Samson, officer), Barclays Bank bldgs. Norfolk st
Cuthbert Jn. H. estate agt. 25 Lord st. T N 378
Dale Geo. newsagt. 90 Victoria st. T N 225
Dane Harry, sanitary, housing & meat inspector, & inspector under the Food & Drugs Acts & Dairies & Cowsheds Orders to the corporation, Municipal bldgs. T N 118
Darlington Hilda (Mrs.), milliner, see Vogue
Darlington Jn. W. auctnr. & valuer & certified bailiff under the Law of Distress Amendment Act, Norfolk sq. T N 296
Davis Hope & Furniss, solctrs. 10 Ellison st. T N 37
Dawson Bertha (Mrs.), confctnr. 6 High st. west
Dearnaley Joseph, grocer, 25 High street west. T N 69
Deamley Irvine, painter, 49 High st. west. T N 124
Derbyshire County Council Tuberculosis Dispensary (for medical officer, see Official section), Surrey st Derbyshire Alfd. Edwd. house decrtr. 45 Norfolk st. & Surrey st
Derbyshire J. E. florist, 55 High st. west. T N 248
Dewsnap Walter, painter. 90 Edward street
District Bank Ltd. (Arth. Sherlock, manager), Norfolk sq. (T N 135); head office, Spring gdns. Manchester
Dixon Sydney, baker, 110 High street west. T N 231
Dixon Wltr. assistant rating & valuation officer & collector, Municipal bldgs. T N 49
Drovers’ Arms P.H, (Lionel Davison), 18 Charlestown
Earle G. & T. Ltd. cement mers. (storeroom), Station yard
Elkan A. (Mrs.), mfng. optician, Arcade
Ellis F. G. (Printers) Ltd. 13 & 15 Railway st. T N 330
Ellison Theo Walt, solctr. & commissioner for oaths, Easton, High st. east. T N 107
Emerson Wm. Norris, dentist, 37 Hollincross la
Empire (P. C. T.’s Ltd. proprs ; S. A. Jones, resident mngr.), 60 High st. west. T N 114
Entwistle Harold Kersey, photographic dlr. 18 High st. west
Evans D. Morris, mngr. Barclays Bank Ltd. 1 High st. east. T N 139
Fairclough Walter Peake Mus.Bac., F.R.C.O. professor of music, 92 St. Mary’s road
Farnsworth T. & Sons, fruitrs. 112 & 114 High st. west. T N 42
Farnworth Emily (Mrs.), confctnr. 23 High st. east
Faulds Geo. M.Inst.M., Cy.E. & R.S.I. borough surveyor & water works manager, Municipal bldgs. T N 150
Fenton Chas. Fredk. Vinten, clerk to North Western area Assessment Committee & registrar of births & deaths for Glossop district, 14 & 16 Ellison st. T N 74
Ferro Alloys & Metals Ltd. metal mfrs. Surrey st. T A “Alloymet;” T N 333
Fielding E. & Son (H. Garside, propr.), watch & clock mkrs. 39 High street west. T N 243
Fielding Wltr. beer retlr. 130 Pike’s la
Firth Harold D., L.D.S.Manc. dental surgeon, 77 Norfolk street. T N 89
Fisher Charles E. & Son, joiners, Ellison street
Fleece Inn (Herbt. Ryan), 1 Bernard st
Fletcher Wm. T. & Son, tripe dressers, 4 Charlestown rd. & 88 High st. west. T N 141
Fletcher Alice (Mrs.), fried fish dlr. 106 Victoria st
Fletcher Alice (Mrs.), ladies’ outfitter, 16 Charlestown rd
Fletcher Ellen (Mrs.). shopkpr. 9 Charlestown
Ford Edith Jane (Mrs.), shopkpr. 164 High st. west
Foy Philomena (Mrs.), fishmngr. 24 Charlestown rd. TN 313
Freeman, Hardy & Willis Ltd. boot makers, 27 High st. west
French Thos. plumber, 72a, High st. east
Friendship Inn (Jn. H. Hockenhull), 5 Arundel st
Frost Jane (Mrs.), shopkpr. 20 Derby st
Fuller Emily Ellen (Miss), pet stores, 90 High st. west
Furniss Geo. Fredk. solctr. (firm, Davis Hope & Furniss), 10 Ellison st
Gadd Geo. Fredk. & Chas Douglas, motor car garage, Bridgefield. T N 214
Gadd Frances Mona (Mrs.), shopkpr. Bridgefield
Gallick Marion (Mrs.), herbalist, 138 Victoria st
Garlick Saml. Edwin, insur. agt. 17 Surrey st
Garnett Florence (Mrs.), shopkpr. 60 Simmondley la
Garside Joseph, farmer, Lees Hall farm
Garsides General Stores, hardware dlrs. 29 High st. west
Gas Co. (Benjamin Goddard, manager; Waiter Townend, sec.), Arundel street (T N 85); show rooms, 84 High street west
Gibbons Harry, boot maker, 16a, High street east
Globe Hotel (Saml. Hy. Fogerty), 114 High st. west
Glossop Carriage Co. Ltd. (The), funeral furnishers, coach & motor proprietors, 16 Howard street. T N 59
Glossop Carters’ & Motormen’s Social Club (Keith Hinchliffe, sec.), 13 Bernard st
Glossop Chronicle & Advertiser (J. Andrew & Co. Ltd. proprs.; published friday), 6 Howard st. T N 67
Glossop Conservative Club (Jsph. Hough, sec.), 22 Norfolk st. T N 213
Glossop Cricket Club (S. Roberts, sec.), North rd
Glossop Dental & Optical Service, opticians, 33 High st. west
Glossop & District Co-operative Society Ltd. (Arth. Bridge, sec.), Norfolk sq. (T N 15); 13, 14, 46 & 48 & 369 High st west; 20 Charlestown rd.; Manor Park rd.; Pike’s la.; Church st. south; 106 Gladstone st. & 56 Arundel st.; registered office, 2 Railway st
Glossop & District Golf Club (Jas. H. Butterworth, sec.). T N 411
Glossop Glove Co. Ltd. glove mfrs. George st. T N 105
Glossop Grammar School (Cecil Lord B.A. head master), Talbot st. T N 245
Glossop, Hadfield & District Allotments Association Limited (Jn. H. Cuthbert, sec.), 25 Lord st. T N 378
Glossop Labour Club (Frank Mitchell, sec.), 7 & 9 Railway st
Glossop Liberal Club (John H. Cuthbert, sec.), Henry street. T N 66
Glossop Motor Co. Ltd. motor engineers. Arundel st. T N 48
Glossop Perpetual Building Society (The) (A. Goldthorpe, sec.), 12 Ellison st. T N 319
Glossop Preparatory School (Mrs. A. Thomas B.A. principal), 4 Ellison st
Glossop Social Club Ltd. (W. Bramall, sec.), 4 Ellison st
Glossop Social Service Club (R. Cullen, sec.), Market st
Glossop Women’s Unionist Association (Mrs. Nichols, sec.), 22 Norfolk st
Goddard S. & Sons, bldrs. Surrey st. T N 181
Goddard Edith (Miss), ladies’ outfitter, 71a, High st. west
Goddard Harry, draper, 42 High st. west. T N 294
Goldthorpe Arth. estate agt. 12 Ellison st. T N 319
Goldthorpe Saml. grocer, 33 & 35 Charles st
Goodwin Evelyn, baker, 112 High st. east
Goodwin Ivy Irene (Mrs.), shopkpr. 62 Victoria st
Gorman Jn. fried fish shop, 137 Gladstone st
Grapes Inn (Jn. H. Lancashire), 305 High st. west
Greaves Lilian (Mrs.), baker, 218 High st. west
Green Frank, shopkpr. 36 Hadfield st
Greenhalgh H. & Co. Ltd. dyers & cleaners, 31 High st. west
Greensmith Rt. Collier, chief constable of borough police, inspector under Diseases of Animals Act, inspector of hackney carriages, chief weights & measures officer & supt. of fire brigade, Ellison st. T N 488
Greensmith Wm. boot repr. 33 Princess st
Greenwood Jn. (Brick Works) Co. Ltd. brick mkrs. Railway st. T N 9
Greenwood’s, clothier, 41 & 43 High st. west
Greenwood Hy. F.A.A. accntnt. 15 Norfolk st T N 178
Greenwood Jn. quarry owner, Railway st. (T N’s 361 & 362) & Lees Hall, Shire hill & Mouslow quarries
Gregory Samuel H. farmer, Jumble farm
Grundy W. E. relieving officer for Glossop district & collector to the North-Western Area Public Assistance Committee, 14 & 16 Ellison st. T N 74
Hadfield Alice, Ada & Ann (Misses), grocers, 60 High st. east
Hadfield J. & Sons, wood bedstead mkrs. Derby st. T A “Hadfield, Glossop 86;” T N 86
Hadfield Thos. & Son, drapers, 15 High st. west. T N 167
Hadfield Cycle Co. cycle agts. & dlrs. 82 High st. west
Hadfield Alice (Miss), shopkeeper, 61 Hague street, Whitfield
Hadfield Arth. fried fish shop, 84 Church st
Hadfield Eli, wire mattress mkr. 12 George st
Hadfield Hannah (Miss), herbalist, 14 Charlestown rd
Hadfield Jsph. M.B. & C.M.Aberd. physcn. & surgn. & medical officer No. 1 district, North-Western Area Public Assistance Committee & medical officer Glossop Institution, 20 Hollincross la. T N 79
Hadfield Wm. Bruce, supt. registrar of births, deaths & marriages for district of Glossop, 6 Market st. T N 81
Hadwin H. & Co. Ltd. patent scrimp rails, Howard st. T N122
Haigh Thos. farmer, 60 Hague st
Halifax Building Society (Wltr. Swift, agt.); branch office, Norfolk st
Hall Alice (Miss) & Wharmby Walter, bakers, 28 Gladstone st
Hall J. (exors. of), boot dlrs. 201 High st, east
Hall Jsph. Wm. newsagt. 26 Princess st
Hallam Jas. T. farmer, Hob Hill farm
Hallows Marion (Miss), dressmaker, 8 Sheffield rd
Hallsworth Hannah (Mrs.), baker, 8 Manor Park rd
Hampson Jn. & Son, furniture removers, Hague st. Whitfield & Surrey st
Hampson Clara (Mrs.), shopkpr. 27 Sheffield rd
Hanging Gate P.H. (Thos. Mellor), 277 High st. west
Harding E. & G. milliners, 4 Norfolk st. T N 414
Harewood Irvine, decrtr. 15 Primrose la
Harris Nellie (Miss), fried fish dlr. 131 High st. west
Harrison Abel Limited, coal merchants, Surrey street (T N 47) & Hadfield railway station
Harrison Chas. Smith, grocer, 122 High st. west. T N 202
Harrison Jas. deputy supt. registrar of births, deaths & marriages, 6 Market st
Harrop Jas. Easton, farmer, Hill Top farm
Hartley Archbld. Smith, baker & pastrycook, Victoria st. T N 306
Hazlewood Fras. hairdrssr. 2 Edward st
Heap Amelia (Mrs.), shopkpr. 6 Chapel st
Heap Thornton, statnr. 81 High st. west
Heap Wm. motor engnr. see Newton & Heap Ltd
Heathcote J. H. ladies’ hairdrssr, 99 High st. west. T N 327
Higginbottom Tom & Son, farmers, Betten hill
Higginbottom Jn. S. milliner, 17 High st. west. T N 80
Higginbottom Tom, hair dresser. 85 Victoria street
High Peak Division Liberal Association (Geo. Watts, sec. & agt.), 38 Norfolk st. T N 198
High Peak Reporter (J. Andrew & Co. Ltd. proprs.; published fri.), 6 Howard st. T N 67
Higinbottom Hy. F.B.O.A., F.N.A.O., F.I.O.O. optician, Talbot villas, Talbot st. T N 335
Hinchliff Gertrude H. (Mrs.), shopkpr. 30 Primrose la
Hinchliff Harold, shopkpr. 76 Charlestown rd
Hinchliffe Annie (Mrs.), draper, 62 Pike’s la
Hinchliffe Ethel (Mrs.), insur. agt. 148 High st. west
Hinchliffe Harold, ladies’ hairdrssr. 7 George st. T N 242
Holderness J. T. & Son, dyers & cleaners, 37 High st. west
Holliday & Pickup, insur. brkrs. 4 Railway st. T N 127
Holt W. (Burnley) Ltd. billiard rooms, 119 High street east
Holt Ernest, insur. agt. 32 St. Mary’s rd Hope Sydney, solctr. (firm, Davis Hope & Furniss), 10 Ellison st. T N 37
Horsfall Edwd. solctr. & commissioner for oaths, Norfolk sq
Howard Arms P.H. (Frank Potter), 17 High st. east
Howard Tom, baker, 2 Shepley st
Howarth Mary Ellen (Mrs.), shopkpr. 8 Collier st
Hunters (The Teamen) Ltd, grocers, 40 High st. west
Hurst Albt. outfitter, 32 High st. west
Hurst Thos. piano tuner, Bleak ho. Victoria st
Hurst Wltr. fried fish dlr. 72 High st. west
Hurst Wltr. tailor, 9 High st. east
Hyde Wallpaper Stores (E. C. Byle, propr.), 30 High st. west
Ireland Percy E. solctr. & commissioner to administer oaths, registrar & high bailiff to Glossop county court & clerk to the borough magistrates, 6 Market st. T N 81
Jackson Isaac & Sons Limited, belt fastener manufacturers, Hawkshead mills. TA “Fastener, Glossop;” Tel. Nos. 91 & 92
Jackson Levi & Sons Ltd. rope & twine mfrs. Hobroyd. T N 68
Jackson Mary H. (Miss), chiropodist, 59 Sheffield rd
Jackson Rt. Edwd. M.B., Ch.B.L’pool, physcn. & surgn. 93 High st. west. T N 111
Jepson Herbt. hairdrssr. 12 Charlestown rd
Jones & Chadwick, shopkeepers, 35 Princess street
Jones Albt. Ernest, tripe dresser, 166 High st. west
Jones Ellen (Mrs.), shopkpr. 105 High st. east
Junction Inn (Mrs. Alice Brooks), 3?9 High st. west
Keg Estates Ltd. (Stanley Roberts, sec.), 6 Howard st
Kennedy Margaret (Miss), shopkeeper, 225 High street west
Kennington & Son, tobacconists, Town Hall buildings, High street west
Kennington Jn. wallpaper dlr. 54 High st. west
Kerley & Co. ladies’ hairdressers, 104 Victoria st
Kingsmoor School (Geo. Raymond Swaine, head master), girls’ & boys’ boarding school. T N 217
Kirk Hannah (Mrs.), hardware dlr. 105 High st. east
Knott Ada (Mrs.), fried fish dlr. 60 Duke st
Langford Wm. Hy. baker, 85 High st. east
Latham & Waterhouse, grocers, 25 Norfolk st
Leach’s Dance Studio, 34 High st. east
Leach A. shopkpr. 21 Freetown
Leah Rt. insur. assist, supt. 23 Primrose cres. T N 443
Lees, bakers, 104 High st. west. T N 238
Lester Jas. greengro. 74 High st. west. T N 169
Lester Joe, fruitr. 140 High st. west
Lilley J., M.Inst.M, & Cy.E. assistant borough surveyor, Municipal bldgs
Littler Evelyn (Mrs.), grocer, 10 Gladstone st
Lloyds Bank Ltd. (E. J. Bowerbank, manager), Norfolk chmbrs. Henry st. (T N 220); head office, 71 Lombard st. London E C 3
L. & N.E. Railway (E. Manning, station master). T N 16
Lomas Geo. Redvers, corn dlr. 38 High st. west
Longson Arth. hardware dlr. 5 Church st
Lonsdale Rt. fried fish dlr. 119 High st. west
Lord J. H. & Son, bakers, 16 High st. west. T N 223
Lowe F. E., A.L.C.M. teacher of music,13 Lord st
Lowe Lilian (Miss), wool dlr. 86 High st. west
McKeown Felix Quinn M.C., M.B., Ch.B.L’pool, physcn. & surgn. 25 Victoria st. T N 82
McKinlay Finlay, chemist, 7 High st. west. T N 44
McShannon Jn. J., M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O., D.P.H.Belf. physcn. & surgn. Loch Maree, North rd. & (surgery) 2 Fauvel rd. T N 75
Malkin Rt. H. school attendance officer, Education offices, Municipal bldgs
Malloch Peter Edwin L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.R.F.P, & S. Glas., L.D.S.R.C.S.Edin. physcn. & surgn. 28 Norfolk st. T X 46
Manns Sidney, watchmkr. 100 High st. west
Manor Inn (Herbt. Arnfield), 77 High st. east
Marion (Miss Marion Oldham), ladies’ hairdrssr. 18 Norfolk st. T N 302
Market Vaults P.H. (Groves & Whitnall), 1 Market st. & 23 High st. west
Marsh Wm. Hill, newsagt. 123 High st. west
Marshall Jn. Hy. plumber, 226 High st. west
Martin .John Thomas, optician, 73 High street west
Masonic Lodge (Devonshire Lodge, No. 625) (Geo. Hy .Wilson, sec.), Norfolk sq
Massey D. & Son, ironmngrs. 22 High st. east. T N 246
Maternity & Child Welfare Centre (Ernest Hy. Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dublin, medical officer), Municipal bldgs. T N 118
May Thos. & Sons, basket & skip mkrs. 70 Victoria st
Maypole Dairy Co. Limited, dairymen, Town Hall buildings, High street west
Melias Ltd. grocers, 24 High st. west
Mellor J. A. & Sons, bldrs. Market st
Metcalfe Jn. parks supt. North rd
Mettrick Jn. Woolley, butcher, 84 Victoria st
Middleton Brothers, builders, Victoria street. T N 78
Middleton Thos. & Sons, boot mkrs. 242 High st. west
Milburn Tom, beer retlr. 40 Pike’s la
Milligan Ernest Hy. Marcus M.D.Belf, L.R.C.P. & S.Irel., L.M., D.P.H.Dublin, medical officer of health to borough, medical supt. of Maternity & Child Welfare Centre & to the Isolation Hospital, Partington Convalescent & Nurses’ Home, Woods Hospital & school medical officer, Municipal bldgs. T N 118
Ministry of Labour Employment Exchange (Egerton Doodson, manager), Howard st. T N 83
Mitchell & Davis, cafe, 12 Norfolk st
Moore Henry, boot repairer, 11 Victoria street
Moscrop Noah, jeweller, 47 High St. west
Moss Danl. newsagt. 35 Edward st
Moss Harry, fruitr. The Arcade
Mottram Sarah (Mrs.), midwife, 16 Talbot st
Mullin & Smith, grindery dealers, 92 High street west
Nag’s Head P.H. (Mrs. Annie Shaw), 19 Charlestown rd
Needham Frank Edmnd. battery engnr. Oak st. & wireless dlr. 22 High st. west. T N 120
New Economy Store, bazaars, 34 High st. west
Newton & Heap Ltd. motor engnrs. 25 & 100 & 102 High st. east. T N 180
Newton Wm. & Co. com mers. Surrey st. T N 170
Nield J. J. & Son, ironmngrs. 125 High st. west & blacksmiths, Brook st
Norfolk Arms Hotel (Edwd. L. Smith), Norfolk sq. T N 106
NORFOLK LAUNDRY (THE) (Waterhouse & Higginbottom, proprietors), Ellison street. T N 17
North Western Road Car Co. Ltd. motor bus proprs. 4 High st. east. T N 196
Northern (The) Firelighter Co. Limited, “briquette” firelighter manufacturers & merchants, Whitfield cross. T N 205
O’Brien Jsph. baker, 112 Victoria st
Oddfellows’ Hall & Social Institute (J. W. Newton, sec.), 69 High st. west
Old Glossop Cricket Club (Jn. Pearson, sec.), Manor Park rd
Oldfield Harry, sheet metal worker, 4 George st
Oldham Street Working Men’s Club (John Hadfield, sec.), Oldham street
Olive & Partington Limited, paper makers, Turn Lee & Dover mills. T A’s “Pino, Glossop” & “Chromo, Glossop;” T N’s 101 & 102
Oliver W. & Sons, ironmngrs. 85 k 87 High st. west. T N 90
Oliver Sarah Hannah (Mrs.), shopkpr. 23 Primrose la
O’Neill Thos.& Son,wireless supplies dlrs. 62a & 64 Victoria st T N 215
Orme Flora Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr. 52 Church st
Orme Joe, painter, 40 Mount st
Orme William, plumber, 105 St. Mary’s road
Overend Harry, confctnr. 56 High st. west
Page Gladys (Miss), ladies’ hairdrssr. 6 Norfolk st
Partington Convalescent & Nurses’ Home (Ernest Hy. Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dublin, medical supt.; Miss B. Finnerty, matron). North rd. T N 53
Pass Jesse, boot repr. 51a, High st. east
Peak Radio & Relay Services (Penny & Yolland, proprs.), 65 High st. west. T N 185
Peck Geo. Wm. fruitr. 5 High st. east
Peel Clarissa (Mrs.), shopkpr. 9 Hope st
Pell Wm. boot & shoe repr. 61 High st. west
Pickup Fredk. insur. broker, see Holliday & Pickup
Platt Fred & Son, bakers, 5 Shrewsbury st. T N 284
Platt Jas. Edwd. coal mer. 11 Railway st. T N 128
Platt Jsph. (Mrs.), boarding ho. Lees hall
Platt T. water inspector, Town hail, High st. west
Polwin Evelyn (Miss), shopkpr. 29 Gladstone st
Potts & Goddard, bldrs. Shepley st.
Pownall's, boot reprs. 36 & 38 Victoria st
Presentation Convent (Sister Angela, superior), Church street
Price Danl. baker, 136 Victoria st
Prince of Wales Inn (Jas. Wm. Plant), 14 Milltown
Public Baths (Fred Fennell, supt.), Howard pic. T N 292
Public Library & Victoria Hall (K. C. Harrison F.L.A. librarian), Fauvel rd
Public Weighbridge (F. Smith, weigher). Railway yard
Queen’s Arms Hotel (Alfd. A. Oldham), 1 Shepley st
Ralph Sam, outfitter, 12 Howard st
Read Jane (Miss), shopkeeper, 31 Chapel street
Redfern Selina (Miss), china dlr. 75 High st. west
Refuge Assurance Co. Ltd. district office (H. Kellett, supt.), 12 Norfolk sq. T N 322
Regent Studio (E. Robinson, propr.), photographers, 3 Victoria st
Richards Geo. grocer, & sub-post office, 198 High st. west
Rideal Ltd. chemists, 102 High St. west. T N 97
Riley Joe, fruitr. 1 Charlestown rd
Riley Margery Ann (Mrs.), confctnr. 14 High st. east
Roberts Fredk. baker, 72 Victoria st
Roberts Stanley, chartrd. accntnt. (firm, Ashton & Roberts), 6 Howard st. T N 380
Robinson & Wood, tailors, 2 High st. east & Victoria st
Robinson's Cafe, 2 Jordan st
Robinson Harold, plumber, 8 Norfolk st
Robinson Thos. H. coal mer. Railway yard
Robinson Wm. S. A. solctr. town clerk, clerk to Cemetery Committee, sec. to Education Committee & clerk to Grammar School Board, Municipal bldgs. T N 58
Roebuck Inn (Edwin Hancock), 1 Whitfield cross
Roscoe Wm. newsagt. 130 High st. west
Rose & Crown P.H. (Albt. Scragg), 89 High st. west
Rose Green Working Men’s Club (Fredk. G. Bradley, sec.), Silk st
Rowarth B. farmer
Rowbottom James Ltd. cotton spinners, Hurst mills. T N 8
Rowbottom S. & Co. Limited, cotton spinners. Meadow mills. T N 7
Rowbottom Alice (Mrs.), ladies' hairdrssr. 37 Norfolk st
Rowbottom Jn. Ratcliffe, fried fish shop, 211 High st. east
Royal London Mutual Insurance Society Ltd.; district office (H. B. McMinn, supt.), 41 High st. east
Royal Oak Inn (Frank Ashton), Sheffield rd
Ryan Paul, outfitter, 116 Victoria st
Rymer Fred, fried fish dlr. 126 Pike's la
Sacks Abe, tailor, 138 High st. west
Samson Jas. Snailham, customs, excise & old age pensions officer, Barclays Bank bldgs. Norfolk st
Scholes Geo. butcher, 117 High st. west. T N 208
Sellers Frank, shopkpr. 17 Freetown
Senior James Henry, hair dresser, 70 High street west.
Seville Jn. & Sons, funeral directors, 39 Sheffield rd
Shaw Bennett, farmer, Cowbrook, Sheffield rd
Shaw Stanley, motor engnr. Reliance garage, Turnlee rd. T N 222
Shaw William, farmer, Whitfield barn
Sheldon Robert, farmer, Brownhill farm
Sheppard Annie (Mrs.), fried fish dlr. 18 Norfolk st
Sherry's Dairy Co. Limited, dairymen, 35 High street west
Shorrock Isaac, baker, 142 High st. west
Shuttleworth Alice (Mrs.), fried fish shop, 79 High st. east
Siddall Geo. farmer, Cliffe rd
Sidebottom D. & T. joiners, 1 Pike’s la. & Victoria st. T N 184
Sidebottom Martha (Mrs.), confctnr. 53 High st. east
Sidebottom Ruth (Mrs.), grocer, 146 St. Mary’s rd
Sims Lily (Mrs.), baker, 106 Pike’s la
Singer Sewing Machine Co. Ltd. (Percy Turner, manager), 3 George st
Sisters of Charity of St. Paul Convent (Mother Imelda, superior), Shaw st
Slattery Esther (Miss), shopkpr. 41 Duke st
Smith Jas. & Sons (Cleaners) Ltd. 44 High st. west
Smith Herbt. A. dentist, 53 Norfolk st. T N 301
Smith Mary (Mrs.), grindery dealer, see Mullin & Smith
Spencer Fred, hairdrssr. 13 Victoria st
Spencer Wm. farmer, Wimberry hill
Spread Eagle Building Society (Jas. Edwin Hall, sec.), 30 Norfolk st
Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley & Dukinfield Transport & Electricity Board, electrcl. engnrs. 5 High st. west. T N 34
Star Inn (Benj. Jefferys), 3 Norfolk sq
Station Hotel (Thos. Howarth), 32 Norfolk st. T N 140
Sumner Francis & Co. (1920) Limited,cotton spinners & mfrs. Wren Nest mill. T N 10
Surrey Arms P.H. (Jn. Goddard), 133 Victoria st
Surrey Arms P.H. (Jsph. Grant), 67 High street west. T N 191
Swallow Hy. fried fish dlr. 140 Victoria st
Swift Wltr. accntnt. Barclays Bank bldgs. Norfolk st
Swindells Eli, draper, 238 High st. west
Swire Jn. & Sons, boot & shoe mkrs. 8 High st. west. T N 109
Swire Henry, clog & patten maker, 21 Victoria street
Swire John Oswald, butcher, 83 High street east
Tattersall John, taxi proprietor, complete funeral furnisher, & weddings, 11 Fauvel road. T N 311
Taylor A. B. & Son, haulage contrctrs. Charlestown. T N 70
Taylor Eliz. (Mrs.), shopkpr. 81 High st. east
Taylor Ernest Rt. L.D.S.Manc. dental surgn. 40 Norfolk st. T N 4
Taylor Lizzie Helen (Mrs.), boarding ho. 183 High st. east
Taylor Squire, dining rooms, 57 High street west
Thom Jas. & Son, coal mers. 33 Norfolk st. & Surrey st. T N 93
Thomas Alfd. genrl. store, 45 Bernard st
Thompson Arth. B. baker, 213 High st. west
Thorp Wltr. & Son, colliery agts. Norfolk st. & coal mers. Railway yard. T N 52
Tilburn Jas. Herbt. metal brkr. Burnside, Dinting rd. & Howard’s pl. T N 132
Timperley Jsph. baker, 38 Pike’s la
Tongue Harry, boot repr. Wood st
Torkington W. & Son, fishmngrs. 68 High st. west. T N 179
Torkington Gertrude (Mrs.), florist, 58 High st. west
Town Hall (Ernest Bowden, caretaker), High st. west
Travis Jane (Mrs.), shopkpr. 2 Whitfield cross
Turner Lenny (Mrs.), shopkpr. 31 Hague st
Turner Wltr. fruitr. 26 High st. east. T N 266
Tweedale Fredk. wireless dlr. Victoria st. T N 251
Unemployment Assistance Board, 8 Henry st. T N 183
Victoria Hall (Arth. Barker, caretaker), Fauvel rd
Victoria Hotel (Jsph. H. Enright), 17 Gladstone st
Victoria Inn (G. Riding), 73 High st. west
Vogue (Mrs. Hilda Darlington), milliner, 14 Norfolk st, T N 298
Vol Crepe Ltd. boot & shoe mkrs. Milltown. T N 254
Wadsworth Gordon, shopkpr. 44 St. Mary’s rd
Wain J. & Son, fancy drapers, 59 High st. west
Wain Edward Joseph, monumental mason, Simmondley la
Walmsley Jas. shopkpr. 52 Hollincross la
Walton John (of Glossop) Limited, bleachers, Charlestown works. T N’s 271 & 272
Warrington Walt, butcher, 19 High st, east. T N 210
Water Works (Geo, Faulds M.I.M. & Cy.E. mngr,), Municipal bldgs. T N 150
Waters Herbt. window cleaner, 76 Freetown
Watts Geo. sec. & agt. for High Peak Divisional liberal Association, 38 Norfolk st. T N 198
Wearing Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr. 20
Wellgate Webb Ellen (Mrs.), beer retlr. 24 Arundel st
Webb Jsph, shopkpr. 131 Manor Park rd
Weston Thos. Wltr. pork butcher, 20 High st. west
Whalley Thos. newsagt. 6 High st. east
Wharmby G. & Sons, oil & lamp dlrs. 127 Manor Park rd
Wharmby Ronald, tobccnst. 98 High st. west
Wheat Sheaf Inn (Wm. Rosbury), 16 Wellgate
Whiteley Alice (Mrs.), draper, 197 High street east
Whitfield Church Institute (Squire Edge, sec.), 18 Charlestown rd
Whitfield Free Library (branch library) (Chas. Howard, caretaker), Freetown
Whitfield Parish Hall, Kershaw st
Whitfield Working Men’s Club (Cyril Bamforth, sec.), 86 Wood st
Wild Ralph & Sons, tripe dressers, 1 Collier st. & 4 High st. west
Wild Jn. Thos. carrier, 54 Wood st
Willey Jn. W. C. & Son, cabnt. mkrs. 17 Norfolk st. & 22 George st
Willey Burton, cabinet mkr. 48 Arundel st
Wilson & Bates, aerated water mfrs. Howard st. & wine & spirit mers. 10 Norfolk sq. T N 88
Wilson Geo. Hy. solctr. & commssnr. for oaths, clerk to Longdendale Urban District Council & deputy coroner for the High Peak Hundred division of the county, Norfolk sq. T N 43
Winterbottom W. A. joiner, Bernard st
Wood Brothers (Glossop) Ltd. cotton spinners & mfrs. Howard Town mills, Victoria st. T N 22
Wood’s Hospital (Wm. S. A. Robinson (town clerk), sec.; for list of medical staff see Official section), Howard park, T N 36
Wood Chas. insur. agt. Crantock, Manor Park rd
Wood Frank, joiner, Turnlee rd
Wood Mrs. fried fish shop, 1 Princess st
Wood Zaccheus, farmer, Gnat hole
Woodhead George, butcher, 141 Victoria street. T N 38
Woodhouse Abishai, butcher, 36 Church st. south. T N 134
Woolley Rt. Edwd. butcher, 77 High st. west. T N 236
Woolworth F. W. & Co. Ltd. bazaar, High st. west
Worthington Freda (Mrs.), fried fish dlr. 170 High st, west
Worthington Jn. shopkpr. 57 Whitfield cross
Wright Hannah (Miss), shopkpr. 191 High St. west
Yates Arth. shopkpr. 1 Edward st
Yorkshire Penny Bank Ltd. (open fri. 7.30 to 8.30 p.m.), 18 Charlestown rd.; London office, 97 to 99 Cheapside, E C 2

BROOKFIELD.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Robinson Rev. John Henry (Congregational), 10 Shepley street
COMMERCIAL.
Ankers Ada Jane (Miss), shopkpr. 110 Brookfield
Brookfield Working Men’s Club (Norman Hague, sec.), 58 Brookfield
Clayton Jessie (Mrs.), shopkpr. 117 Brookfield
Cooper Thos. A. insur. agt. 38 Brookfield
Elliott Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr. 2 Brookfield
Humphries Jn. Edwd. motor engnr. 26 Brookfield. Glossop 234
Robinson Wm. genl. store, 126 Brookfield
Skelton Charles Ltd. motor haulage contrctrs. 2 Brookfield. Glossop 279

CHUNAL.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
(For T N see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Francis William Roberts, Bank house
COMMERCIAL.
Goodwin Wm. farmer, Sandy Bank farm
Green Thomas, farmer
Grouse Inn (Cyril Bradley)
Hadfield Eliz. (Mrs.), shopkpr. White ho
Hallam Edgar, farmer
Steers Fredk, farmer, Horse Shoe farm
Steers Wm, farmer

DINTING.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Butterworth James H. 99 Shaw lane
Cooper Cecil H., B.Sc. 105 Shaw lane
Dawson-Bowling Rev. John Owen Max M.A, (vicar), Vicarage
Heaton John Stanley, 107 Shaw lane
Milligan Ernest Henry Marcus M.D.Belf. Dinting lodge
COMMERCIAL.
Allen Joe & Sons, painters, 101 Dinting vale
Bennett Alfred, farmer
Greenwood John (Brick Works) Co. Ltd. brick mkrs. Mouslow brickworks
Guthrie Eliza (Mrs.), shopkpr. 2 Dinting vale
Harrop Jas. (Mrs.), farmer, Hill top
Hoyle Thomas, farmer, Hill top
Lackey Jas. shopkpr. 29 Dinting vale
Marsden Edwin, farmer
Plough Inn (Mrs. Ellen Beatrice Pooler), 107 Dinting vale
Potter Edmund & Co. Ltd. (branch of the Calico Printers' Association Ltd.), calico printers. T N Glossop 12
Rothwell Lester, boot repr. 17 Dinting vale
Sidebottom Mary Hannah (Mrs.), shopkpr. 79 Dinting vale
Walton Jacob, farmer, Shaw farm

GAMESLEY
(Letters through Manchester.)
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
(For T N see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Cuthbert Mrs. Gamesley house
COMMERCIAL.
Chorlton Annie C. (Mrs.). newsagt. 92 Glossop rd
Crabtree Geo. gardener to Mrs. Cuthbert, 39 Cottage la
Glossop & District Co-operative Society Limited (The)
Gould Joe, farmer
Grimshaw John, baker
Hadfield Wltr. coal dlr. Glossop rd
Jackson Thos. farmer, Fold farm
Leach Dora (Mrs.), baker, 1 Cottage la
Mackerill Alice (Mrs.), corsetière, 78 Cottage la
Magnet Inn (Mrs. Mary Ellen Alexander), Glossop rd
Marsden Albert, farmer
Walton Herbt. & Miss Eliz. farmers

HADFIELD.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(For T N’s see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Bermingham Rev. Leo F. (Roman Catholic), The Presbytery,
Bollans R. Wilfred M.B.Vict., J.P. 87 Station road
Bowden Clarence, Lane end, Green lane
Farrar Herbert Edmund, Oaklands, New Shaw lane
Fenton Miss N. E., M.B., Ch.B. 28 Bross croft
Garlick James Hadfield. Chomlea, Hadfield road
Hadfield Wm. Bruce, 305 Hadfield road
Holden Harry, Cranford, Hadfield road
Ledwich James, Green lane
Murphy Major Michael M.C., M.B., Ch.B. 124 Hadfield road
Shaw John, 144 Hadfield road
White Rev. Archibald Campbell Macalister L.Th. (vicar, surrogate & rural dean of Glossop), Vicarage, Hadfield cross

Marked thus * should be addressed Hollingworth, Manchester.
COMMERCIAL.
Early closing day, Tuesday.
Aldous T. & Son, joiners, 2 Hadfield rd. (Glossop 5); Railway st. & Station rd
Anchor Inn (Geo. Hill Grime), 61 Hadfield rd
Anderson Nancy (Mrs.), midwife, 4 Kiln la
Arundel Arms P.H. (Harry Torkington), Cemetery rd
Bamforth Wm. joiner, 22 Lambgates (Glossop 250) & Station rd
Bardsley Elsie (Mrs.), confctnr. 69 New Shaw la
Barlow Jas. boot repr. 112 Station rd
Belfield Jas. shopkpr. 52 Bross Croft
Bennett Thos. & Son, general drapers 98 & 100, & house furnishers 102, Station rd
Bennett Hannah (Mrs.), motor engnrs. see Wilde & Bennett
Bennett Jn. I. farmer
Berry Bartholomew, newsagt. 22 Bank st
Billinge Joseph, saddler, 108 Station road
Blundell Beatrice (Mrs.), baker, 27 Station rd
Bollans Rt. Wilfred M.B., Ch.B. Vict., J.P. surgn. 89 Station rd. Glossop 28
Booth Leonard (exors. of), pork butchers, 117 Station rd
Braddock Jn. chemist, 31 Station rd. Glossop 173
Bradshaw Margt. (Mrs.). fishmngr. 1a, Station rd
Bramald Ellis, haberdasher, 390 Hadfield road
Breeze George, boot repairer, 1 Church street
Broadbent & McDonnell, painters & decrtrs. 99 Woolley Bridge rd
Carr Jsph. outfitter, 121 Station rd
Chadwick Harry, baker, 238 Woolley Bridge rd
Charlton Maggie (Mrs.), fried fish dlr. 42 Hadfield rd
Commercial Inn (Mrs. Janet Wright), Bank Bottom
Convent of Sisters of St. Paul (Mother Brendan, superior), Woolley Bridge rd
Cox Lottie (Mrs.), secondhand booksllr. 8 & 10 Waterside
Critchlow Wm. T. coal dlr. 2 Park rd
Cullen Edith (Mrs.), shopkpr. 32 Railway st
Cumberland Annie (Miss), beer retlr. (off), 421 Hadfield rd
Daniel Albert, blacksmith, Albert street
Dempsey Ada (Miss), baker, 103 Station rd
Dewsnap Jn. butcher, 46 Hadfield rd
District Bank Ltd. (sub-branch to Glossop) (Arth. Sherlock, manager) (open mon. to fri. 10 a.m. to 12.30 p.m.; sat. 9.30 to 11 a.m.), 132 Station rd. (Glossop 165): head office. Spring gdns. Manchester
Dodd Samuel, coal merchant, Railway yard
Doodson Amy (Mrs.), shopkpr. 23a, Hadfield rd
Downing Eliz. (Mrs.), confctnr. 92 Station rd
Duckworth James Ltd. grocer, 105 Station rd
Etchells Percy, grocer, 95 Station rd, T N Glossop 152
Fell Hy. fried fish shop, 69 Station rd
Fenton Norah E. (Miss) M.B., Ch.B., B.A.O.Dub. physcn. & surgn. medical officer, No. 2 district & public vaccinator, North-Western Area Public Assistance Committee, 28 Bross Croft. Glossop 263
Ferrostatics Ltd. engnrs. Mersey mill, Woolley bridge. Glossop 218
Fidler Eliz. (Mrs.), outfitter, 107 Station rd
Fielding Thos. herbalist, 118 Station rd
Firth Harold D., L.D.S.Manc. dental surgn. 65 Station rd
Fletcher Alice (Mrs.), draper, 39 Bross Croft
*Forster Florence G. (Mrs.), haberdasher, 50 Woolley bridge
Garlick Emily (Mrs.), shopkpr, 93 Woolley Bridge rd
Garlick Ernest, chipped potato dlr. 1 Woolley Bridge rd
*Garlick Jsph. Lloyd, confctnr. 70 Woolley bridge
Garlick Wm. greengro. 113 Station rd
Gartside & Co. (of Manchester) Limited, cotton spinners & manufacturers, Waterside mills. T N Glossop 115
Gerrard Jas. shopkpr. 85 Woolley Bridge rd
Gerrard Spencer, fruitr. 2 Queen st
Glossop Gas Co. (branch), 55 Station road
Goddard Ellen (Mrs.), grocer, 1 Green la
*Gregory Herbt. & Fred, farmers, Woolley bridge
Griffiths Jn. watch repr. 5 Station rd
Hadfield Conservative Club (Harry Wood, sec.), 223 Woolley Bridge rd
Hadfield Equitable Co-operative Society Ltd.; reg. offices, Wesley st. (Glossop 55); 49, 54, 56, 55 & 60 Station rd.; Woolley Bridge rd.; Stanyforth st. & coal mers. Railway yard
Hadfield Liberal Bowling Club (Fred Crook, sec.), Bank st
Hadfield Picturedrome (Jsph. C. Moore, mngr.), Bank st. T N Glossop 273
Hadfield Public Hall & Free Library (Tom Hodson, caretaker), Station rd
Hadfield Wm. Bruce, solctr. & commissioner for oaths, 305 Hadfield rd. T N Glossop 73
Haig Martha (Miss), baker, 128 Station rd
Haigh Hugh, news agent, 1a, Railway street
Hall E. A. (Mrs.), furniture brkr. Kiln la
Hall Frank, painter, 85 Station rd. Glossop 13
Hall Harold, hairdrssr. 84 Station rd
Hall Jas. Stuart, baker, 52 Station rd
*Hambleton Violet (Miss), ladies' hairdrssr. 106 Woolley brdg
Harrison Abel Limited, coal merchants, Station yard
Hewson Beatrice Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr. 7 Station rd
Hewson Jn. newsagt. 47 Station rd
Holden T. C. chemist, 62 Station rd. Glossop 286
Hulme Jessie (Miss), milliner, 45 Station rd. T N Glossop 138
Hunters (The Teamen) Limited, grocers, 39 Station road
Hutchinson Ethel (Mrs.), fried fish dlr. 15 Cross st
Jackson Mary Emma (Miss), draper, 18 Queen st
Kay Harry, farmer, Park rd
Law Wm. statnr. 126 Station rd
Littlewood Mary Ferns (Mrs.), tobccnst. 12 Queen st
Livesley Wm. umbrella repr. 25 Green la
Lupton Saml. grocer, 31 Church st.
McDonnell Frank, painter, see Broadbent & McDonnell
McShannon Jn. J., M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O., D.P.H.Belf. physcn. & surgn. 22 Lambgates. Glossop 250
Marginson Percy, coal mer. Station yard
Marsh Frank, grocer, 102 Waterside
Mason’s Arms Inn (Jsph. Schora Langfield), 78 Station rd
Masters Frank, draper, 111 Station rd
Mettrick Jn. Woolley, butcher, 86 Station rd. Glossop 129
Middleton Jn. boot repr. 23 Church st
*Middleton Jn, newsagt. 134 Woolley bridge
Ministry of Labour Employment Exchange (C. H. Farrand, officer in charge), Woolley Bridge rd. Glossop 99
Mitchell Frank, baker, 87 Hadfield road
Moscrop Noah, fancy goods dealer, 119 Station road
Murphy Maj. Michl. M.C., M.B., Ch.B. physcn. & surgn. 124 Hadfield rd. Glossop 121
Nelson Clara (Mrs.), tobccnst. 115 Station rd
Ninnes Andrew Nicholls, baker, 116 Station rd
Oldfield H. plumber, 19 Church st
Oldham Caroline L. (Mrs.), confctnr. 35 Station rd
Olliver W. & Sons, ironmngrs. 51 Station rd. Glossop 90
Palatine Hotel (Chas. Stanley), 133 Station rd. Glossop 459
Pass J. boot repr. Brickfield st
Patchett Jn. beer retlr. 41 Station rd
Patchett Tom, butcher, 32 Station rd
Pear Tree Inn (Benj. Edwards), 431 Hadfield rd
Pennington Wm. farmer, Woolley Bridge rd
*Platt Edwd. Firth, shopkpr. 58 Woolley bridge
Platt Emma (Mrs.), shopkpr. 3 Waterside
Pownall’s, boot repr. 19 Station rd
Prosser Fredk. Chas. farmer, Owl Nest farm
Public Baths (Fred Fennell, supt.), Station rd
Public Weighing Machine, Station yard
Radio Service Battery Charging Station (Wltr. Hibbert, propr.), 90 Station rd
Ralph Isaac, draper, 13 Station rd
*River Etherow Bleaching Co. Ltd. (The), Woolley bridge. Glossop 25
Robinson T. decrtr, Salisbury st
Rothwell Edwin, grocer, 94 Station rd. T N Glossop 157
St. Andrew’s Sports Club
St. Charles’ Hall, Woolley Bridge rd
Sargentson Jas. Ltd. cotton waste mers. Brickfield St. T N Glossop 62
Scatcherd R. ironmngr. 9 & 11 Bank bottom
Schofield Eva (Mrs.), tobccnst. 76 Station rd
Schofield Wm. S. grocer, 83a, Hadfield rd
Scholes Arth. carman, Woolley Bridge rd
Shaw Simpson, greengro. 79 Station rd
Sidebottom Wm. Pomfret, baker, 152 Station rd. Glossop 112
*Simm Lewis (Machinery) Ltd. machinery mers. Mersey engineering works, Woolley bridge. Glossop 423
Simpson Florence (Mrs.), fried fish dlr.103 Woolley Bridge rd
Smith Edwd. ladies’ hairdrssr. 74 Station rd
Smith Herbt. Alfort ,dentist, 52Hadfield rd. T N Glossop 201
Spinner’s Arms P.H. (Benj. Hirst). 1 Marsden st
*Spread Eagle P.H. (Mrs. Ada Hunt), Woolley bridge, Glossop 390
*Spring Tavern (Saml. Schofield), 8 Woolley Bridge
Stock J. nurseryman, The Avenue
*Swire Florence (Mrs.), clogger, 40 Woolley bridge
Swire Harry, boot maker, 125 Station road
Sykes John, monumental mason, Park road
Sykes Mary (Mrs.), ladies’ & children’s outfitter, 68 Station rd
Sykes Wltr. butcher, 114 Station rd
Thomas Arth. Vernon, music seller 72, & confctnr. 72a, Station rd
Thorley Eliz. (Mrs.), confctnr. 2 Bank st
Torkington Annie (Mrs.), shopkpr. 2 Peter st
Torkington Jn. fruitr. 101 Station rd
Victoria Hotel (Jsph. Tweedale), 88 Bross Croft
Walsh Henry, grocer, 8 Bank street
Walshaw Harold, plumber, 39 Railway st
Weavers’ Association (Herbt. Hadley, sec.), 124 Station rd
White Eric, provsn. dlr. 130 Station rd
Wilde & Bennett, motor engineers, 75 Station road. T N Glossop 119
Wilman E. & Sons Ltd. silk noil spinners & mfrs. Station mills. T A “Noils, Hadfield;” Glossop 160
Winterbottom Eliz. & Son, tripe dressers, Station rd
Woodhouse Saml. butcher, 99 Station rd
Woodhouse Stella Muriel (Mrs.), midwife, 57 Green la. Glossop 51
Wooller Mary (Miss), ladies’ hairdrssr. 10 Goddard rd
*Woolley Bridge Working Men’s Club (J. O’Brien, sec.), 29 Woolley Bridge rd
Woolley Claude, insur. agt. 158 Hadfield rd
*Woolley Tom, shopkpr. & fried fish shop, Woolley Bridge
Worsley F. undertaker, 43 Station rd.; works, 40 Bross Croft. T N Glossop 293
Wynn-Sykes Wm. Horace, hairdrssr. 37 Station rd

PADFIELD.
(Letters through Manchester.)
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
(For T N see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Sargentson Henry J. Rose bank
COMMERCIAL.
Beard T. & Son, slaters, 103 Main rd. T N Glossop 239
Bray Jane Ann (Mrs.), shopkpr. 61 Platt at
Brierley Fred, poultry farmer, 131 Main rd. Glossop 450
Burdekin Alfd. shopkpr. 22 Platt st
Chevens Bros, farmers, Main rd
Critchlow Wm. Taylor, farmer, 107 Main rd. Glossop 405
Fielden Betsy (Miss), confctnr. 95 Platt st
Hadfield Equitable Co-operative Society Ltd. (Wm. Heaton, managing sec.), 99 Platt st
Hadfield Worsted Mills Co. Ltd. Platt st. Glossop 32
Hall Thos. baker, 36 Post st
Hardy Alice (Mrs.), haberdasher, 31 Post st
Howbrook Bros, bldrs. 13 Platt st
Howe Sam, carrier, 147 Main rd
Hughes Fred, farmer, Brook farm
Kershaw Joshua & Sons Ltd. leathr. dressers, Hadfield tannery. T N Glossop 126
Marginson Percy, coal mer. 20 Platt st
Miller Isabella P. (Mrs.), genl. store, 14 Platt st
Olbison Rt. hardware dlr. 97 Platt st
Padfield Liberal Club, Main rd
Padfield Working Men’s Club (J. W. Wyatt, sec.), 26 Platt street
Peel’s Arms P.H. (Miss Hannah Platt), 6 Temple st
Sargentson Wm. cotton waste dlr. Padfield Brook mills. T N Glossop 61
Shepherd Betty (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Deep clough
Taylor Ernest, farmer
Walker Wm. grocer, 6 Post st
Wilde Rose (Mrs.), shopkpr. 1 Post st
Williamson Edith (Mrs.), shopkpr. 109 Main rd
Winterbotham Eliz. & Son, tripe dressers, 3 Temple st



Button image Return to Trade Directory List Button image Return to Local History Articles Button image Return to the home page




Page last updated: 20 May 2017.