Thread Mill. Benjamin Goodison leased the land to build the mill on 12th July 1789 but the business failed in the 1790s and the mill stood empty for some years. Hamnett write that in 1805 it was bought by Robert Bennett for his son-in-law Thomas Ward, whose business failed by 1815.
On 17th April 1823 John Wood was working it, one of several he tenanted before moving to Howardtown. In 1833 Abraham Broadbent was in occupation, making bobbins, hat tips and doubled yarn for hand loom weavers. He remained as occupier of the mill until July 1840, when he moved to the Mouse Nest Mill at Padfield.
The mill remained empty until 1846, when Mr. John Ford started the wadding business. The 1846 Bagshaw directory shows John Ford as a cotton spinner & manufacturer & weaver & wadding mfr, Thread Mills, Glossop. Ford was succeeded by Mr. John Downs in the same line of business.
It was then used by a Mr. Greaves as a brewery. The last occupier is understood to have been T. P. Sykes, who manufactured tape and banding there. At that time it was referred to as Mr Sykes’ Lower Mill.