Location: Victoria Street
Architect: Office of Works
Builders: Middleton Bros of Victoria Saw Mills, Glossop and plumbing sub contractors W. Oliver and Sons, Glossop
Date opened: August 1923
Owners: Post Office / Royal Mail
There had been a Post Office in the centre of Glossop for many years, starting at the Norfolk Arms in the 1820s. By the 1920s it was in the Co-op building in Norfolk Square.
New Post Office
The Post Office decided they were going to build a new office. They originally intended to build it at the rear of the Conservative Club on Norfolk Street, but Glossop Borough Council offered them space on the market ground facing Victoria Street and this was accepted.
There were several businesses on the proposed site. In the old toll bar were hairdressers William Bradbury and his son Ernest. They were rehoused in the market arcade. There were two tripe stalls and one fish stall, which were also moved.
The building was begun in October 1922 to a plan from the Office of Works. This was a Government department that designed purpose built post offices. The plans were for a post office on the ground floor and a telephone exchange on the first floor.
The builders were Middleton Bros of Victoria Saw Mills, Glossop and plumbing sub contractors W. Oliver and Sons, Glossop. The walls were built thicker than normal to support the heavy batteries used in the telephone exchange.
Civic Opening
The Post Office was formally opened by the Mayor, Councillor S. Bamforth, in August 1923 in a civic ceremony attended by many officials including Edward Partington (Lord Doverdale) and Samuel Hill Wood.

In 1949 the Post Office got a new stamping machine, which helped them deal with the 7000 letters and packages they received daily.
Automatic Exchange
In 1960, a new automated telephone exchange was built on the site at the edge of the market car park (where it is today). This replaced the telephonists or “Hello Girls” as they were known that answered the phone and made the connections. By the time it closed the manual exchange had reached its maximum capacity of 1300 connections and was managed by Mrs Hilda Goodall and 13 telephonists. The new automatic exchange started with 1600 connections and was managed by 2 engineers.

The Last Post
In March 1994 it was announced that the Post Office counter service was closing and the service put up for tender. It was proposed to move the counter services to the Co-op on Norfolk Street. There were protests, petitions and calls to boycott the Co-op as many wished for the counter services to remain in the Post Office.
After 73 years in Glossop Post Office, the counter service was closed in April 1996. A mock funeral service was held outside on the last day to say farewell.
The counter services were moved to the Co-op where they remain today in B&M. The Post Office is now the local delivery office for Royal Mail.
Sources: Glossop Chronicle, various dates