Location: 19 Charlestown Road
Former Names: Quiet Woman
Opened: 1791
Closed: c. 2011
Text from ‘History in a Pint Pot’ by David Field. Published by Glossop & District Historical Society in May 1999.
In 1791 a John Priestnall signed his first alehouse recognizance, remaining licensee until his death on April 28th 1812 aged 66, his widow Hannah then took over until her death on April 5th 1820 aged 76. William their son followed, but he didn’t renew the licence in 1821 when the licence lapsed, perhaps he preferred farming. Although in 1817 when one of William’s children was born he was described as an Innkeeper. In his will John Priestnall described as a victualler left his house and land to his son William along with his household goods, brewing vessels, farming utensils, husbandry gear, cows and horse which were to be paid for at an agreed valuation. He also left to William “provided that he shall pay for, and be accountable for half of the lime lately set out by me on the field called the Old Earth”. This field which was opposite the Nag’s Head was also farmed by John Goddard the licensee when the Borough Registers began in 1869 which leads me to believe that John Priestnall was the first licensee of what is now the Nag’s Head. According to the historian Hamnett it was originally called the Quiet Woman and was possibly called this when the Priestnall’s kept it.
Many pubs previously called the Quiet Woman have taken the name of the Nag’s Head.

In 1820 the house and land were owned by Thomas Higginbottom of Bank wood a cotton manufacturer, sometime later ownership passed to Sarah Shaw of Charlesworth. After her death in 1842 ownership passed to John Handforth to receive rents and pay them to Sarah Shaw her daughter and her grandson William Henry Shaw. Then to the next children Thomas Shaw Ashton Snr., James Ashton and William Henry Ashton (Ashton Street).
The licensee in 1869 of what was now a beerhouse was John Goddard. In 1882 he took out a ten year lease from Thomas Shaw Ashton Jnr. and William Jackson on the pub which consisted of a brewhouse, stable, shippon and four closes called the Meadowhead or Cockety Meadow, the Great Culdger or Old Heath, the Slatelands and the Little Holme. A total of eight and a half acres at £70 per year rental.
In 1885 his daughter Martha Ann took over the licence and married James Bennett who took over as licensee in 1888. In 1889 John Goddard died, his daughter and her husband were persuaded to give up the lease for a payment of £11.5s.0d. (£11.25) by Thomas Shaw Ashton Jnr., William Jackson and Sarah Chapman all of Tideswell. The pub was then sold to Chesters Brewery Company Ltd. on the 8th October 1889 for £1690 plus two cottages at the back and 15-19 Charlestown Road. In 1925 a Music and Singing Licence was obtained and in 1963 the Nag’s Head became the last beerhouse in Glossop to obtain a Full Licence.
As with other Chesters pubs, it passed eventually to Whitbread in 1967.

Post 1999 – The Nag’s Head closed around 2011 when a planning application was submitted to turn it into a private residence.
Nag’s Head, Charlestown Road |
|
| In 1791 John Priestnall signed his first alehouse recognizance, remaining licensee until his death on 28th April 1812. | |
Quiet Woman |
|
| Date | Licensees until 1999 |
| 1791-1812 | John Priestnall |
| 1812-1820 | Hannah Priestnall |
| 1820-1821 | William Priestnall |
Nag’s Head |
|
| In 1820 the house and land were owned by Thomas Higginbottom of Bankwood, cotton manufacturer. Ownership then passed to Sarah Shaw of Charlesworth. After her death in 1842 ownership passed to John Handforth to receive rents and pay them to her daughter, Sarah Shaw, and her grandson William Henry Shaw. Then to the next children, Thomas Shaw Ashton snr, James Ashton and William Henry Ashton. | |
| -1885 | John Goddard |
| 1885-1886 | Martha Ann Goddard |
| 1886-1890 | James Bennett |
| The pub was sold to Chesters Brewery Company Ltd on 8th October 1889. | |
| 1890-1892 | Robert Fletcher |
| 1892-1897 | Thomas Lyne |
| 1897-1901 | Hannah Lyne |
| 1901-1904 | William Wilde |
| 1904-1917 | James Hindle |
| 1917-1937 | Joe Hill Collier |
| 1937-1940 | William Bowden |
| 1940-1943 | Annie Shaw |
| 1943-1949 | Ernest Hardcastle |
| 1949-1953 | Douglas W. Neill |
| 1953-1957 | James A. Neaves |
| 1957-1959 | Fred G. White |
| 1959-1963 | Joseph Mea |
| 1963-1973 | Harold A. Taylor |
| 1967- Chesters pubs passed to Whitbread. | |
| 1973-1980 | Richard Smith |
| 1980-1982 | Carl T. Loftus |
| 1982-1983 | Doris Rimmer |
| 1983-1984 | James E. Eastwood |
| 1984-1990 | David A. Firmedon |
| 1990-1991 | Anthony Snell |
| 1991-1993 | David Clark |
| 1993-1998 | Sarah L. McKay |
| 1998- | Sarah L. Kennedy & Margaret McGuinness |
| Post 1999 – The Nag’s Head closed around 2011 when a planning application was submitted to turn it into a private residence. |
|