Chisworth Methodist Church
Marple Road
(Methodist)

The earliest record of a Methodist service in Chisworth was one conducted by Mrs. Potter “in a large room in the factory at Kinder Lee” on October 17th 1819. Colliers dug out the foundations for the first Chapel and farmers carted the materials. The Chapel was opened in in 1833 by Rev. George Marsden before the windows or pews had been installed and before the walls had been plastered. The official opening is recorded in the minute book dated October 1st 1835. A Harmonium cost £25.
The names of the Society Stewards from 1883 in order of their service are: William Clarke; Sam Sandiford; John Booth; Mrs. F. Sandiford ( nee Ada Rowbottom); J. E. Crowshaw & Miss E. Cooper. Jubilee services were held on November 2nd 1884.
New Building, 1890
This building continued in use until 1890 when a closing service was held on 9th March 1890. It had been the intention of the Trustees to renovate the old Chapel by elevating the roof, putting in new windows and repairing the interior. When taking off the roof the walls were found to be in such bad condition as to necessitate the pulling down of the entire structure and rebuilding from the foundations, involving an outlay of £800.
The Trustees and Building Committee : Rev. J. Nowell, Mr. James Clayton, Mr. Geo. Cooper, Mr. William Clarke, Mr. Joe Clarke, Mr. Wm. Holdgate, Mr. Wm. Walton, Mr. Thos. Ollerenshaw, Mr. Enoch Hart, Mr. James Rowbottom, Mr. Geo. Rowbottom, Mr. Abel Clayton, Mr. C. Stafford, Mr. Josh Sidebottom, Mr. Jesse Robinson and Mr. Walter Bowers.
The architect was Mr. J. Gibbons Sankey, Manchester.
The contractors were Messrs. W. H. Bowden, Glossop and Mr. Charles Thatcher, Mottram.
The foundation stones were laid on 3rd May 1890 by Mr. James Rowbottom Esq., Alderman S. Rowbottom J.P., Mr. James Clayton and Mr. George Cooper. An address was delivered by Rev. W. F. Slater M. A. of Didsbury College and a collection taken in aid of the building fund. Opened on November 23rd 1890, the present chapel has a seating capacity for 280 people.
A new organ from Abbot & Smith, Leeds cost £550 of which £150 was donated by Lord Doverdale was installed in May 1924 and was first used on 25th May. The organist from 1924 – 1934 was Mr. A. J. Giles.
The centenary of the Chapel was celebrated in May 1934 and a procession was led by Tintwistle Band. Amongst those taking part were the late Sir Thomas Rowbottom of Stockport and the Rev. William Younger.
Sunday and Day School
Chisworth Society shares a distinction with Zion in having a Day School. Mrs. M. C. Dale has been the headmistress since 1st September 1931. The school premises were greatly enhanced by the building of the New Infant’s School which was generously presented to the trustees by the late James Rowbottom, J.P., and opened on September 4th 1911.