Lower Water Mill (Waterloo Mill, Old Mill, Twist Mill). The lease for the land on which the mill was built dates from 1st August, 1807.
It was built by Robert Bennett but he could not find tenant so it stood empty until 1815 when it became another of the mills worked by John Wood when he first he came to Glossop. He gave up the tenancy in 1825. Wood named it the Waterloo Mill because the Battle of Waterloo had just taken place. A sketch of the Water Mill and the Thread Mill appeared on his bill heads. John Wood is listed in Pigot’s directory of 1824/5, as a spinner & manufacturer, but no mill is mentioned. Presumably because he was working several.
Thomas Ward was the next occupier but it was empty in 1831 and remained so for many years. In 1846 Thomas Leigh was the tenant, being listed in Bagshaw’s directory. Slater’s directory of 1850 lists Leigh Edward (cotton) at Twist Mill. In September 1851 John Newton Winterbottom took a 21 years’ lease of it; White’s directory of 1857 lists him at “Water Mill”. T. P. Sykes then had it and it was burned down during the time his sons were tenants, on the 29th May 1879.