Padfield Independent Chapel and Sunday School
Temple Street
(Independent)

The first Chapel, with only 12 pews was built in 1828 for £265 and was later replaced by the present building The Chapel and Sunday School were built as a branch of the Tintwistle Independent Chapel and Sunday School. The organisers and subscribers were chiefly members of the Tintwistle Independent Chapel who resided in the village of Padfield. The Rev. J. C. Potter assisting in its formation.
At a public meeting of the inhabitants of Padfield at the house of Mary Barber, Little Padfield on 1st February 1828 it was resolved “that a Chapel be erected for the hamlet of Padfield where Divine worship may be held on Sunday evenings and other opportunities as may be agreed hereafter”. At this meeting it was also resolved that the Chapel be considered to be “belonging” to the body of Christians called “Independents”. The lease for the ground for 99 years at £11 arranged with the Duke of Norfolk on 6th March 1829.
On 13th June 1875 a Sunday School Anniversary Sermon was preached by Rev. J. Oddy of Tintwistle.
The present building is very different to the original one. At a Trustees meeting on 1st February 1901 it was decided to adopt a plan of proposed extension and alterations consisting of the addition of a vestry each side of the building and a porch plus a vestry with a cellar at the lower side of the building and a polished wooden ceiling. On 9th March 1901 the re-opening ceremony was performed by Mrs. Platt of Mersey Bank, Hadfield using a gold key which was presented to her by Chairman of the Councillors, Mr. Thomas Braddock. That the people worked with a will goes without saying, for out of the total cost of £800 they had already raised £500, encouraged by the sympathy and practical help of Mr. & Mrs. Platt of Mersey Bank.
A 97th Sunday School Anniversary service was held on 14th June 1925 by Rev. J. H. Robinson of Glossop.
On 22nd May 1972 the Independents or Congregationalists were asked to vote whether or not to join with the Presbyterians in the formation of the United Reform Church. The vote was not carried in favour of joining thus breaking the link with Tintwistle. In 1973 a new link was formed with Charlesworth Congregational Church whereby the two churches were to share a minister, Rev. C. L. Gillham, M.A. who joined them in 1974.
Padfield Methodist Church
Post Street
(Methodist)
The stone laying ceremony of this fine and spacious Chapel took place on Good Friday, 26th March 1880. The Rev. Mark P. Gilbert was Superintendent Minister at the time. On the succeeding Good Friday, 15th April 1881, the new chapel was opened for Divine worship. It had cost £1,691 and contained 250 seats. A two-manual pedal pipe organ was installed two years after the opening of the chapel.
The year 1928 witnessed the Centenary Celebrations, for it was in the year 1828 when the first chapel was built, though preaching rooms had been used prior to this. Four hundred sat down for tea. Decorations to the School and Chapel were carried out in 1949.
The drawings and text below are collated from documents provided by the late Mrs Ada Williams, a member of Hadfield Wesleyan Church and a former Mayor of Glossop.
|
|
|
Trustees, Officers and Teachers 1928
| CHURCH
TRUSTEES |
SOCIETY STEWARDS CHAPEL STEWARDS POOR STEWARDS ORGANIST CHOIRMASTER CARETAKER |
SUNDAY SCHOOL
SUPERINTENDENTS SECRETARIES TREASURER ATTENDANCE REGISTRAR PIANISTS |
TEACHERS |

