
History of Chisworth and Ludworth by Robert Hamnett
This page is based on the notes of Robert Hamnett, originally published as an article in the Glossop Advertiser in 1913. By the Local Government
CHISWORTH, a scattered village and hamlet, 4 miles S.W. from Glossop, and in that manor, contains 845 acres of land, and in 1851 had 114 houses and 555 inhabitants, of whom 291 were males and 264 females; rateable value £1175 5s; The Wesleyans have a chapel here, erected in 1831, and enlarged about four years ago; it is a neat stone building with turret and one bell. Here is a lodge of the ancient Order of Druids. Feast, first Sunday in August. The modern and busiest part is situated on the Marple Bridge road. Here is the Hole House mill for cotton spinning, manufactory, and a colliery. The Coombs 1 mile S.W., consists of three farm houses. Moorside and Sanderlane, half a mile N.W. from the Wesleyan chapel. In the year 1360, this manor was conveyed by Richard Foljambe and Robert de Holt to the abbey at Basingwerk.
White’s Directory of Derbyshire & Sheffield 1857

This page is based on the notes of Robert Hamnett, originally published as an article in the Glossop Advertiser in 1913. By the Local Government

Chisworth Methodist Church Marple Road (Methodist) The earliest record of a Methodist service in Chisworth was one conducted by Mrs. Potter “in a large room