Howard Street
(Wesleyan Methodist)

The original School and Chapel were erected at a cost of £1,000. The Chapel was opened on 5th November 1854 with seating for 250 people. In 1873 an organ was dedicated, the cost of which was £230. Until 1880 when the Rev. A. Holland was appointed the first permanent Minister there had only been local preachers available to the congregation.
A Band of Hope was established in 1881 and also a branch of the International Bible Reading Association was formed. In 1889 during the ministership of Rev. E. Bromage (1888 – 1892) the debt on the Chapel was reduced to £150 plus a further sum of £200 which was expended for work to the interior of the Chapel.
The Minister during the years 1892 – 1899 was Rev. Edmund Bromage. During his tenure the foundation stone for the new Sunday School was laid on Good Friday 1893 by Mrs. H. Partington and the School was opened in October 1893.
It was decided that a new Chapel should be built, the old building was demolished and the foundation stones for the new Chapel laid on June 19th 1897 by Messrs. H. Partington, J. Walkden, James Bowden and W. Harrison. The Chapel cost £2640 and was opened on May 15th 1898. The Chapel was free from debt by 1921 and in 1926 the land on which it stood was purchased by the Trustees and a new Trust formed.
Electric lighting was installed in 1924 and a tablet placed in the vestibule to the memory of men killed in the First World War. In 1935 the Chapel was redecorated and a Manse purchased on Spire Hollin, Glossop.
Ministers: 1880 – 1888 A. Holland, 1888 – 1892 T. Bromage, 1892 – 1899 E. Bromage, 1899 – 1906 W. S. Goodwin, 1907 – 1909 C. Noakes, 1910 – 1920 E. Dennis, 1921 – 1925 E. E. Bromage, 1927 – 1928 W. T. Burkitt, 1929 – 1933 S. H. Reader, 1935 – 1939 A. J. Couling, 1942 – 1945 A. Halladay, 1945 – 1947 W. Kendrick, 1948 – 1950 E. E. Smith.
The Church was eventually demolished in 1965 after being closed for a few years. The Sunday School still stands and is in use as a Medical Centre.