Fauvel Road
(Church of England)

St. Luke’s is a daughter Church of St. James’s, Whitfield. It had a humble missionary beginning in an upper room over the shop of Mr. Goldthorpe at the corner of Charles Street and Talbot Street, Glossop.
In 1895 the “Iron Church”, so called because it was made of tin, was erected on the land where the present church now stands. In 1903 the “Iron Church” was removed.
On October 21st 1905 the foundation stone for a new Church was laid by the donor, Mrs. A. K. Wood. A bottle containing a list of the Church Officials, a current copy of the Parish Magazine and a Form of Service was placed in a cavity beneath the stone. The erection costs of the Church were borne by Mrs. Ann Kershaw Wood and members of the congregation and friends raised between £600 – £700 in order to cover furnishings. The builder was Mr. Joseph Howard of Glossop.
The Church was completed in 1906 and at 7 p.m. on St. Luke’s Day, The Bishop of Derby dedicated the Church. An organ built by Conachers for £500 was installed. The pulpit was given by The Girl’s Friendly Society in memory of Hannah Ward, their first President. They also presented a brass altar cross. The Church soon had a Boys Brigade and a Cricket Club.

When Mrs. Ann Kershaw Wood died in 1914 the stained glass window over the High altar was installed in her memory by the people of St Luke’s. At the west end of the Church is a memorial altar to those who served in the Great War, a memorial window next to the altar was erected in 1921. A new High altar in memory of the fallen of World War Two was dedicated on 11th November 1949.