Ebenezer Street
(Methodist)

“Ebenezer” is a name often used to designate Methodist Chapels. It is a Hebrew word and means “the stone of help”.
Ebenezer, Whitfield was built in 1854 as a place of worship for a Society of Wesleyan Reformers, the trustees being: John Hampson, spinner; Joseph Bennett, joiner; John Heap, quarryman; Joseph Heap, quarryman; James Sykes, clothier; James Ford, weaver; Joseph Ford, weaver; Joseph Buckley, manager in a cotton factory; James Fielding, farmer; Alexander Kellett, spinner; Joseph Broadhurst, weaver; Abner Hampson, spinner; John Heap, weaver. Between 1853 – 1861 the sum of £1,015 was borrowed and was repaid by 1881. The land was leased from the Duke of Norfolk.
The Chapel was opened on 20th August 1854 by Rev. James Everett. The centre pews were added shortly after opening and later a gallery was added. In 1879 a boiler was installed and two vestries constructed. The Sunday School was built in 1899. In 1920 electric lighting was installed at a cost of £80. In 1927 the land was bought from the Howard Estate for £108.
Some ministers at the Chapel were: 1907-09 Rev. G. Thompson, 1909-12 Rev. R. J. Edwards, 1912-18 Rev. J. S.Hockin, 1918-23 Rev. H. Cook, 1923-31 Rev. R. H. Hamer, 1931-36 Rev. W. Falkener, 1936-47 Rev. J. A. Newton, 1947 Rev. W. E. Morris.
The Chapel closed and later the building was used for Glossop Whitfield Youth Centre meetings, this opened on Saturday April 4th 1964.