
Whitfield Well
Location: Whitfield Cross, Whitfield Date: 18th Century; adapted in mid 19th Century Grade II listed: 27 Jan 1978, listing no. 1384307 Authority responsible for the
WHITFIELD a hamlet and pleasant village, 1 mile S. from Glossop; forms a populous district enclosed under an act passed in 1810, and contains 1577 acres of land, 539 houses, and 3044 inhabitants, of whom 1496 were males, and 1548 females; in 1831 the population was 1734. The land is mostly freehold. The principal villages are Charlestown, Green Vale and Littlemoor.
A handsome district church to be dedicated to St. James, is now erecting at Littletown, in the early English style from designs by E. H. Shellard, Esq., of Manchester. The Methodists have a chapel at Whitfield. The Primitive Methodists have one at Green Vale, erected in 1885, in which a day school of about 70 children is kept. The Independents have a large handsome chapel, built in 1811, in which galleries were erected in 1832, at a cost of £300; it was enlarged in 1845, at a cost of £1,000, and contains sittings for 1,000 persons; the Rev. Thomas Atkin, pastor, Sunday schools are connected with the various chapels. In connection with the Independent chapel at Little Moor, is a day school conducted on the British School system of education; 120 boys and girls attend.
Bagshaw’s Directory of Derbyshire 1846

Location: Whitfield Cross, Whitfield Date: 18th Century; adapted in mid 19th Century Grade II listed: 27 Jan 1978, listing no. 1384307 Authority responsible for the

Location: Wood Street, Whitfield Architect: Harry S. Fairhurst of Blackburn Donor: George Ollerenshaw Date opened: Saturday 10th January 1903 Owner: Glossop Borough Council (1903-1974), High

This page is based on the notes of Robert Hamnett, originally published as an article in the Glossop Advertiser in 1913. The name “Whitfield” in

Ebenezer Street (Methodist) “Ebenezer” is a name often used to designate Methodist Chapels. It is a Hebrew word and means “the stone of help”.

Hague Street (Methodist) The original Chapel was opened on 26th October 1813 on land leased for 999 years at a rent of 11s. 3d. per

Victoria Street (Independent) The land was given for this Chapel by Samuel Dearnally of Crosscliffe, Glossop. The first Trustees being George Hadfield, Moses Hadfield, John

Hollin Cross Lane (Church of England) Extracts from Centenary booklet 1846 – 1946 The parish is constituted under the 6 and 7 Vic c 37