Hollin Cross Lane
(Church of England)

Extracts from Centenary booklet 1846 – 1946
The parish is constituted under the 6 and 7 Vic c 37 and it comprehends the entire townships of Hadfield, Dinting and Chunal and parts of the townships of Whitfield, Padfield and Glossop. The population, according to the census of 1841 is 6,500. The Church was built by voluntary contributions aided by grants. The first stone was laid by the Rt. rev. Dr. Lonsdale, Lord Bishop of Lichfield on 27th September 1844 and consecrated by His Lordship on 8th September 1845.
Names of the building committee : Rev. Robt. S. Bunbury; Thos. Lowe; Thos. W. Mellor; Thos. G. Fearne; John Teague; Messrs. John Wood Jnr.; John Thornley Jnr.; E. W. Thompson; James Bosley; Robert Kershaw and Lightly Simpson.
In 1844 contracts were drawn up for the building of the church, between Rev. Lowe, John Wood, John Thornley and Robert Kershaw and the masons Thomas Longson and Andrew McKnight. The masons’ work was to cost £3,700, the stone to be obtained from Bray’s Clough, near Moorfield. The land for the site of the church and school was bought from the estate of Thomas Dearnley, of Tintwistle, a schoolmaster who died in 1842, at a price of £110. It was called Lower Meadow being bounded by “Holly Cross Lane and Wall Sitch”.
