Hadfield Free Methodist Church
Station Road
(Methodist)
In 1875 a group of local people felt the need for a local Free Methodist Chapel in Hadfield. The first site chosen was in Kiln Lane, however it was found that someone had already booked the land and so the site on Station Road was selected.
The Mason’s work was done by Mr. Wright Gill of Hadfield. The original joiner got into financial difficulty and the work was finished by Cyrus Garside of Glossop.
The foundation stone was laid by Mr. T. Platt of Hadfield in October 1876. In May 1877 the opening service was held. The first Superintendent Minister was Rev. W. L. Roberts. A Sunday School was started but this was never large enough to warrant a separate building. The first secretary was Mr. Mark Bennett who originally came from Glossop Tabernacle Chapel.
Within a short period of time extensions almost doubled the size from the original twelve pews. Local preachers included Mr. Henry Harris, Mr. Geo. Harris (who became Pastor), Mr. Albert Wilde, Mrs. McCandle a Trustee was Sunday School Superintendent.
Before World War Two congregations declined and a period of mass unemployment hit the little Chapel. War provided further difficulties and the Sunday School was stopped. In 1942 Hadfield Free Methodist Chapel was closed for good. The Chapel was proud of the fact that it had never been in debt.
The building is still in use today as Carmel Pentecostal Chapel.