
Hadfield Hall
Location: Station Road / Railway Street, Hadfield Donor: Edward Platt Architect: Mr R. G. Hawke of Glossop Builders: Messrs C. Garside and Sons. Roof tiling
HADFIELD is a township and large village, on the borders of Cheshire, within the borough of Glossop, 2 miles north-west from Glossop, and, with the adjoining township of Padfield, forms the ecclesiastical parish of St. Andrew’s, or chapelry of Hadfield, having a station on the Manchester and Sheffield railway, in the hundred of High Peak union, parish and county court district of Glossop.
The church of St. Andrew is a modern Gothic building, consecrated July 4th, 1874, and consisting of chancel, nave, south transept, baptistery, and a bell turret with 1 bell: the chancel is enclosed on either side by a screen, and has an organ chamber on the south, the east end forming a hexagonal apse, lighted by two stained windows : the nave is lighted chiefly from the west end, besides large dormer windows high up in the roof, serving also as ventilators: at the west end, near the entrance and within an arched recess, is the baptistery, containing a font worked in native stone and presented to the church by Mr. James Sherriff, of Christ Church, Canterbury, New Zealand, and formerly of Hadfield…
Here are a Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a Catholic chapel (towards the erection of which the Right Hon. Lord Howard of Glossop gave £5,000) containing many valuable paintings. There are also several cotton mills, in which the population are employed, and political clubs with news and amusement rooms. Hadfield Hall, the ancient mansion of the family of that name, dating from 1646, is now converted into a couple of cottages : some years ago the handsome black oak carving was taken down and erected in Glossop Hall, the seat of Lord Howard. The township contains 357 acres; rateable value £7,122 ; the population in 1881 was 3,449.
Kelly’s Derbyshire Directory 1881

Location: Station Road / Railway Street, Hadfield Donor: Edward Platt Architect: Mr R. G. Hawke of Glossop Builders: Messrs C. Garside and Sons. Roof tiling

Location: Hadfield Road / Railway Street / Stanyforth Street / Church Street Donor: Public subscription in memory of Rev A. C. M. White Date opened:

Architect: The land was furnished by Glossop Borough Council after it was gifted by Lord Howard Donor: Lord Howard of Glossop Date opened: 22 June

This page is based on the notes of Robert Hamnett, originally published as an article in the Glossop Advertiser in 1913. The Hamlet of Hadfield
Carmel Pentecostal Station Road (Pentecostal) Following an Evangelistic and Divine healing Crusade in October 1968 by the Evangelist R. R. Hicklin, a Pentecostal Chapel was

St Charles Roman Catholic Church Woolley Bridge Road (Roman Catholic) Extracts from The story of the church of St. Charles Borromeo, Hadfield by The Very

Primitive Methodist Chapel & School Woolley Bridge Road (Primitive Methodist) This Chapel, with School below was built in 1845 at the top of Woolley Bridge
Hadfield Free Methodist Church Station Road (Methodist) In 1875 a group of local people felt the need for a local Free Methodist Chapel in Hadfield.

Chapel Lane (Wesleyan Methodist) This was the original Methodist Chapel (later replaced by a new one at Bank Street, Hadfield) and was built in 1804

Bank Street (Methodist) Work on the new and imposing Sunday School and Chapel at Bank Top commenced in 1877. On 7th July ten foundation stones