
St Andrews Church, Hadfield
St Andrews Church Street (Church of England) Extracts from Centenary Handbook written by Mr. D. Winterbottom The 1,600 square yards of land given to the
HADFIELD is a township and large village, on the borders of Cheshire, within the borough of Glossop, 2 miles north-west from Glossop, and, with the adjoining township of Padfield, forms the ecclesiastical parish of St. Andrew’s, or chapelry of Hadfield, having a station on the Manchester and Sheffield railway, in the hundred of High Peak union, parish and county court district of Glossop.
The church of St. Andrew is a modern Gothic building, consecrated July 4th, 1874, and consisting of chancel, nave, south transept, baptistery, and a bell turret with 1 bell: the chancel is enclosed on either side by a screen, and has an organ chamber on the south, the east end forming a hexagonal apse, lighted by two stained windows : the nave is lighted chiefly from the west end, besides large dormer windows high up in the roof, serving also as ventilators: at the west end, near the entrance and within an arched recess, is the baptistery, containing a font worked in native stone and presented to the church by Mr. James Sherriff, of Christ Church, Canterbury, New Zealand, and formerly of Hadfield…
Here are a Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a Catholic chapel (towards the erection of which the Right Hon. Lord Howard of Glossop gave £5,000) containing many valuable paintings. There are also several cotton mills, in which the population are employed, and political clubs with news and amusement rooms. Hadfield Hall, the ancient mansion of the family of that name, dating from 1646, is now converted into a couple of cottages : some years ago the handsome black oak carving was taken down and erected in Glossop Hall, the seat of Lord Howard. The township contains 357 acres; rateable value £7,122 ; the population in 1881 was 3,449.
Kelly’s Derbyshire Directory 1881

St Andrews Church Street (Church of England) Extracts from Centenary Handbook written by Mr. D. Winterbottom The 1,600 square yards of land given to the