Bank Street
(Methodist)

Work on the new and imposing Sunday School and Chapel at Bank Top commenced in 1877. On 7th July ten foundation stones were laid by Miss Lucy Sidebottom (for James Sidebottom), Joseph Bailey, Charles Chambers, Samuel Rowbottom, Richard Twemlow, William Barker, James Harrop, Tom Milburn, Peter Taylor and William Swindells.
The new chapel was opened on October 16th 1878 , it had seating for 600 persons. It had cost £4,600 of which £1,800 had been raised by subscriptions. The debt of £2,800 was paid off after 30 years. A baptismal font was given in memory of Private John Burgess who was killed on 2nd December 1917.
Inside the Chapel were memorial tablets to Alfred Shaw – a class leader at the Sunday School who died in May 1928, and Andrew N. Ninnes, also a class leader, Sunday School Superintendent and Preacher who died in March 1942 after 60 years of service to the Chapel and Circuit. There was a beautifully carved oak table and chair in memory of Joseph John Ninnes.
Evangelism and education are complementary and for upwards of seventy years until 1906 when it became a Council School, there has been a Wesleyan Methodist Day School in Hadfield.
The 150th Anniversary of the building of the first chapel in Chapel Lane was observed by the re-union gathering on Saturday October 23rd 1954 and special services on the day following.
The Chapel building was destroyed by fire in 1997 and has since been demolished.
The congregation moved to ex-retail premises at Station Road, Hadfield on 4th May 1996 where they still worship.
