Shrewsbury Street
(Primitive Methodist)

Prior to the building of Shrewsbury Street Chapel the Primitive Methodists worshipped at Greenvale.
The present Chapel was erected and opened in 1855 by Rev. W. Rowe of Manchester. It has an outwardly plain appearance but had a pleasing interior with seating capacity for 550. The Trustees were Rev. John Eastwood, Howardtown; John Beeley, Edward Street; James Stubbs, Surrey Street; John Cooper, Littlemoor; George Bramhall, Littlemoor and James Harrop, Littlemoor. During the ministry of the Rev. W. Goodman (1885 – 8) the Chapel was re-pewed, re-slated and entirely renovated at a cost of £800. A few years later a pipe organ was installed at a cost of £400.

Three years after the opening of the Chapel the school was built. Its dimensions were 63 feet long, 50 feet wide, and 27 feet from floor to ceiling. The opening services were conducted by Rev. William Antliff of Oldham.
The buildings were later used as retail premises and are now private residences.