
Old Cross, Old Glossop
Location: Old Cross, Old Glossop Grade II Listed Owner: Manor of Glossop – 15th Century-1925 (Abbot and Monks of Basingwerk, Talbot Family, Howard Family [Dukes
OLD GLOSSOP – Glossop is a small market town and township, 9 miles N. from Chapel-en-le-Frith, 14 miles E. from Manchester, 24 miles N.W. by N. from Sheffield, by turnpike road and 30 miles by rails, and 50 miles N.N.W. from Derby. It consists of Glossop, Howard Town, and Mill Town; situated in a beautifully romantic dale, surrounded by lofty hills.
The old town is irregularly built, but many improvements have taken place within the last few years, by forming new roads and streets, &c. Mill Town connects itself with Howard Town on the Sheffield road leading to Glossop, or Old Town, in contradiction to New Town, or Howard Town, which forms the great focus of improvements, and is ¾ mile W. from Glossop.
The Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a vicarage, valued in the King’s book at £12 18s. 9d., now £303. It is situate at Glossop (Old), and has been augmented with £400 parliamentary grant; the Earl of Ellesmere, patron, and impropriator; and the Rev. Alexander Thos. C. Manson, D.C.L., incumbent. The Church, a neat structure, with nave, chancel, side aisles, tower, and spire with 8 bells, was rebuilt, except the tower, and spire in 1831, and enlarged by the addition of two galleries, at the cost of £2,000, by which 800 sittings were obtained, of which 206 are free and unappropriated. In 1855, his Grace the late Duke of Norfolk rebuilt the tower and spire to which the inhabitants added two new bells. The tower now contains a fine peal of eight bells. The Vicarage, a handsome Elizabethan mansion, a little south of the church, was erected by the present incumbent, in 1850. In the village, is an ancient cross. Glossop Hall, a handsome stone mansion, recently erected on the site of the Old Hall, is pleasantly situated a little N.E. of Old Glossop. It is the seat and property of Lord Edward George Fitzalan Howard, who succeeded to this estate on the death of his father the late Duke of Norfolk, in 1856.
White’s Directory of Derbyshire & Sheffield 1857

Location: Old Cross, Old Glossop Grade II Listed Owner: Manor of Glossop – 15th Century-1925 (Abbot and Monks of Basingwerk, Talbot Family, Howard Family [Dukes

Hall Street (Manor Park Road) (Methodist) The Chapel is lovingly referred to by hundreds of people as “The Tabernacle” or even as “Tab”. The old

Church Street (Roman Catholic) Glossop Parish Church was the original place of worship for Catholic parishioners, until the Reformation. The Howard family were staunch Catholics and

Wesley Street (Methodist) The origin of the work and its development up to the year 1913 has been well told by Mr. H. W. Houseman

Church Street (Church of England) Extracts from “Neath Ancient Moss” by friends of Glossop Parish Church and from Glossop, the Official Handbook 1948. There have