
The Sandhole Story
At the start of 1959 Glossop Council was undertaking work on further improvements to Philip Howard Road. To coincide with the work Councillor Sam Bamforth
Over the centuries ‘Glossop’ has been used to represent different territory and has had different meanings. Glossop is a valley system with three main components: Longdendale, Glossopdale and the Etherow Gorge. It is also the name of the town and used for the part of the valley system known as Glossopdale.
How Glossop got its name – The derivations for the name of Glossop.
Glossopdale is the valley of Glossop Brook. It is also used to describe the area of the Manor of Glossopdale or Glossop Dale. From the 16th Century, George Talbot, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury often referred to his ‘Manor of Glossopdale’.
The Manor of Glossopdale was made up of ten townships Hadfield, Padfield, Dinting, Simmondley, Whitfield, Chunal, Charlesworth, Chisworth and Ludworth and the village of Glossop (Old Glossop). This area also includes Gamesley (which was part of Charlesworth) and Glossop (Howard Town).

At the start of 1959 Glossop Council was undertaking work on further improvements to Philip Howard Road. To coincide with the work Councillor Sam Bamforth
The most usually given source is Glott’s Hop or Glott’s valley – Glott being the personal name of someone who held, or farmed, land hereabouts.

Text of the Melandra Roman Fort booklet, 1986 revision, copyright A M Ward and M H Brown 1986. The Historical Background Brigantia was a client

This page is based on the notes of Robert Hamnett, originally published as an article in the Glossop Advertiser in 1913. The Hamlet of Hadfield
This page is based on the notes of Robert Hamnett, originally published as an article in the Glossop Advertiser in 1913. Gamesley was part of

This page is based on the notes of Robert Hamnett, originally published as an article in the Glossop Advertiser in 1913. Coombs Rocks The Hamlet

‘Henry King of England, Duke of Normandy and Aquitaine, to all his Archbishops, Bishops (etc, etc)’ ‘Greetings. Know ye that I have given and confirmed,

Hall Street (Manor Park Road) (Methodist) The Chapel is lovingly referred to by hundreds of people as “The Tabernacle” or even as “Tab”. The old
Bethel High Street East (Pentecostal) The chapel was founded by Principal George Jeffreys and dedicated to him in 1947. The original membership consisted of a

Fitzalan Street (Unitarian) In 1874 for a lease of £1 360 square yards of land in Fitzalan Street was obtained from Lord Howard and on