
Victoria Hall
Location: Talbot Street / Fauvel Road, Glossop Donors: Herbert Rhodes and Edward Partington. The land was donated by Lord Howard of Glossop. Architect: Frederick Bennett
Over the centuries ‘Glossop’ has been used to represent different territory and has had different meanings. Glossop is a valley system with three main components: Longdendale, Glossopdale and the Etherow Gorge. It is also the name of the town and used for the part of the valley system known as Glossopdale.
How Glossop got its name – The derivations for the name of Glossop.
Glossopdale is the valley of Glossop Brook. It is also used to describe the area of the Manor of Glossopdale or Glossop Dale. From the 16th Century, George Talbot, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury often referred to his ‘Manor of Glossopdale’.
The Manor of Glossopdale was made up of ten townships Hadfield, Padfield, Dinting, Simmondley, Whitfield, Chunal, Charlesworth, Chisworth and Ludworth and the village of Glossop (Old Glossop). This area also includes Gamesley (which was part of Charlesworth) and Glossop (Howard Town).

Location: Talbot Street / Fauvel Road, Glossop Donors: Herbert Rhodes and Edward Partington. The land was donated by Lord Howard of Glossop. Architect: Frederick Bennett

Location: Railway Street, Glossop Opened: 1850 by the Rechabite Club Owners: Rechabite Club/Temperance (1850-1879), Glossop Liberal Association (1879-c.1916), Glossop Labour Club (c.1916-1948), Mentors, MacArthur Beatie,

Location: Old Cross, Old Glossop Grade II Listed Owner: Manor of Glossop – 15th Century-1925 (Abbot and Monks of Basingwerk, Talbot Family, Howard Family [Dukes

Location: Howard Park, Glossop Donor: Samuel and Anne Kershaw Wood on land donated by Lord Howard of Glossop Architect: Mills and Murgatroyd, Manchester Builder: Samuel

Location: Hadfield Road / Railway Street / Stanyforth Street / Church Street Donor: Public subscription in memory of Rev A. C. M. White Date opened:

Location: Fauvel Road/Norfolk Street/Talbot Road, Glossop Donor: Mrs Matthews-Donaldson and Mrs Winslow, Daughters of Mrs Partington Builder: Arthur Sparkes Date Opened: Saturday 24th April 1954

Location: Wood Street, Whitfield Architect: Harry S. Fairhurst of Blackburn Donor: George Ollerenshaw Date opened: Saturday 10th January 1903 Owner: Glossop Borough Council (1903-1974), High

Architect: The land was furnished by Glossop Borough Council after it was gifted by Lord Howard Donor: Lord Howard of Glossop Date opened: 22 June

Location: Victoria Street Architect: Office of Works Builders: Middleton Bros of Victoria Saw Mills, Glossop and plumbing sub contractors W. Oliver and Sons, Glossop Date

The story of Glossop’s Town Hall A new town The foundation stone of Glossop Town Hall was laid on the day of Queen Victoria’s Coronation,