
Wesley Street, Old Glossop
Wesley Street (Methodist) The origin of the work and its development up to the year 1913 has been well told by Mr. H. W. Houseman
Over the centuries ‘Glossop’ has been used to represent different territory and has had different meanings. Glossop is a valley system with three main components: Longdendale, Glossopdale and the Etherow Gorge. It is also the name of the town and used for the part of the valley system known as Glossopdale.
How Glossop got its name – The derivations for the name of Glossop.
Glossopdale is the valley of Glossop Brook. It is also used to describe the area of the Manor of Glossopdale or Glossop Dale. From the 16th Century, George Talbot, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury often referred to his ‘Manor of Glossopdale’.
The Manor of Glossopdale was made up of ten townships Hadfield, Padfield, Dinting, Simmondley, Whitfield, Chunal, Charlesworth, Chisworth and Ludworth and the village of Glossop (Old Glossop). This area also includes Gamesley (which was part of Charlesworth) and Glossop (Howard Town).

Wesley Street (Methodist) The origin of the work and its development up to the year 1913 has been well told by Mr. H. W. Houseman

Church Street (Church of England) Extracts from “Neath Ancient Moss” by friends of Glossop Parish Church and from Glossop, the Official Handbook 1948. There have

This page is based on the notes of Robert Hamnett, originally published as an article in the Glossop Advertiser in 1913. The name “Whitfield” in

Ebenezer Street (Methodist) “Ebenezer” is a name often used to designate Methodist Chapels. It is a Hebrew word and means “the stone of help”.

Hague Street (Methodist) The original Chapel was opened on 26th October 1813 on land leased for 999 years at a rent of 11s. 3d. per

Victoria Street (Independent) The land was given for this Chapel by Samuel Dearnally of Crosscliffe, Glossop. The first Trustees being George Hadfield, Moses Hadfield, John

Hollin Cross Lane (Church of England) Extracts from Centenary booklet 1846 – 1946 The parish is constituted under the 6 and 7 Vic c 37

Simmondley Chapel High Lane (Independent) In 1837 a room was taken over some cottages as an Independent Sunday School. It was decided that a Chapel

This page is based on the notes of Robert Hamnett, originally published as an article in the Glossop Advertiser in 1913. Simmondley is divided from